I thought I'd warn everybody running sterile, fatalistic bases: water coolers are evil.

I have no pitcher pumps in my germy water sources, all my food is cooked, and the coolers themselves are set to priority 1 to reduce their water consumption. But my gofers are diligent little jackasses and apparently had nothing better to do, so when I emptied the toilet pipes to replace them with insulated abyssalite pipes, they apparently decided "ooh, that looks potable" and filled up all my coolers with what I assume was called "water" only because the game doesn't define an element for "e-coli slurry".

A couple cycles later, the pukocalypse started. Of course, by this stage it was too late to do much of anything. My little 2-dupe med bay was overwhelmed immediately, vital production orders went ignored, stress went up, food stores went down, the sea's ran yellow with puke, I heard a great wailing and gnashing of teeth and several low lying coastal towns vanished overnight.

We're now trying to recover, and I'm considering a base-wide ban on water coolers for the future. But I've still gotta get that great hall bonus somehow (don't quite have the room for an arcade machine due to my predilection for making extremely compact, claustrophobic bases.), so for now I'll put a high-priority water emptier in my sewer and hope my gofers use that first. 

32 minutes ago, Yannick Vachon said:

Can you put the building in the great hall and then disable it so no one use it? I am not sure if it would still give the bonus but the room should still be a great hall. After all, you can disable a toilet and still have a washroom.

Yep. I immediately disable my water coolers.

Same here. I normally use super germy water after I found out it doesn't effect sinks like I thought it would. I cook all my food, so there really was no reason to have a pure water source that I could think of.

Now with the water cooler, I need either a little pool of clean water to keep my water cooler fresh, or risk a pukocalypse.

Also my new favourite word :)

However, I don't think its a bug or something that needs to be changed. I like the idea that I need pure water for something, and since there are other Rec Room items, its not really needed if push comes to shove.

What I have started doing is to dump the germy water into the cistern under a cool steam or water geyser (depending on what is nearby).  95C water quickly sterilizes it.  On my latest map I have a slush geyser next to the living area,  so I'm going to try not even bothering with the sieve and dump the polluted water in there.  I think -10C should kill the germs almost as well. 

Wondering If this is what is causing My miserable dups to ingest food poisoning.

My O2 is littered with food poisoning, but before some cycles ago I had not had even one ingested food poisoning germ.

Now all food leftovers are littered with the stuff & I cant explain why.

12 hours ago, BadlyBurned said:

Damnit lol.. I didn't think of that. Wouldn't the boiling process kill the germs? I mean, they aren't drinking tepid coffee are they?

If memory serves, this was not a problem.  It's one of those scenarios where the input is "destroyed" and the output is "created", rather than a transform like the Sieve or Skimmer.

On 8/23/2018 at 10:49 AM, Grimgaw said:

Wish this mattered on any other difficulty than miserable. One germ to take dupes immunity to 0 is dumb af, though.

There are thousands of germs in bathroom pipes.  And each pipe only has 10 kg water  So it isn't "one germ".  It's thousands.

Almost every game I play on miserable, one dupe manages to eat a muckroot in the bathroom before washing his hands and gets knocked down to 80% immunity.

18 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

Recently I've found that running either my base's polluted water OR the clean water (after a sieve) into a reservoir inside a chlorine room takes care of all the germs.  I'm really liking the new reservoirs for this.

Thought they fixed that glitch about chlorine working on reservoirs

Archived