Meteor rains

Meteor shower happens before you even see the surface, I can hear them hitting my world, it should wait till I get the notice about surface breach or not?

Cycle 66 I saw meteors hit the surface. I can setup steel production fast but wont have enough eggs to make any steel anyway.

2 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

I`ve heard the asteroid hits as well back in the Cosmic upgrade (map created after the fix). It seemed like the meteors would start falling when you get close to the top rather when breaching through it.

Discover the surface, not breach it.  So once the FOW is removed from any portion of the surface, the timer starts running.

3 hours ago, SamLogan said:

Here's an example :

surface.thumb.png.5c067b8e6d98b1cb71ca694b21980967.png

So we are back to asteroids drilling the surface it seems. What cycle was it? How much time do i have left  :shock: ?

Later in the Cosmic upgrade they increased the amount of regloith spawned to prevent this. It was supposed to form a sort of equlibrium where it formed the same amount of material it destroyed so it would rarely breach biomes on it`s own. Now for some reason they removed it and we have to rush steel again or lose the asteroid.

9 hours ago, SamLogan said:

Here's an example :

surface.thumb.png.5c067b8e6d98b1cb71ca694b21980967.png

Did the meteors wreck that steam area to the left all by themselves? How has the steam not evaporated into space long ago when it was first breached? What's that black liquid in the middle right above and below the vacillator?

You appear to have excavated the entire surface area and then some below, so it doesn't surprise me meteors wrought havoc on the biomes below.

4 hours ago, Sevio said:

Did the meteors wreck that steam area to the left all by themselves? How has the steam not evaporated into space long ago when it was first breached? What's that black liquid in the middle right above and below the vacillator?

You appear to have excavated the entire surface area and then some below, so it doesn't surprise me meteors wrought havoc on the biomes below.

I didn't excavate anything, the meteor rain did all the work. About the steam, it didn't disapear yet because there's a lot : two ice biome, it's a huge amount.

Yea,  seems like the meteors hitting the top layer biomes way too fast.    I had a cool steam vent up there and by time I manage to dig up to it, its pretty much useless to even get near because of the heat issues.   Didn't have exo suit yet.  
A lot of other biomes got wrecked.   

There needs to be more balance on when the meteor showers start.   Maybe a bit more delayed. for new players some sort of lore discovery in various places that give clue on their  time table or dooms day clock about the asteroid being destroyed soon.

20 hours ago, Sevio said:

I had similar issue. Reason why steam does not escapes is because it is constantly produced. Meteor breaches to ice biome, it melts ice to steam, steam reaches other ice and condensates... Occasionally meteors will hit something solid and block the way for further meteor delaying the destruction process. By the time I reached surface (cycle ~600) half of biome was completely gone and the other half was dipping water onto my base - had to start up steel production asap.

Looks like people have different experiences with meteors. Some have them drill map from the start, others not. there might be some kind of bug there.

The thing with meteors is that they should never breach the top layer on their own. At the end of Cosmic upgrade the dust meteors created so much regolith it stopped smaller iron meteors from breaking through. Then they reduced the amount of regolith spawned so it didn`t clogg over the bunker tiles you build. Now it seems they don`t produce enough regolith to stop the destruction. It needs balance.

Lorewise the map lasted like this for a really long time before the dupes randomly spawned into it. It shouldn`t be destroyed that fast.

Meteor shower happens before you even see the surface, I can hear them hitting my world, it should wait till I get the notice about surface breach or not?

he is right. I haven't explore the surface and i notes this in the swamp biome.

image.thumb.png.b011949fb3a3e0af5c00522dee800cea.png

image.thumb.png.a0d430555f5560c4f736b7bd93fe1f5b.pngimage.thumb.png.c5b6a481e2d66b37bbec350ca58816a1.png

As far as my meteor experience goes, I have a cycle 800 + base by now and I remember hearing the sounds of meteor impacts since cycle 200 or so (I took a long time before I exploring upwards further) and while a small part of the surface is close to a breach, for the most part the surface seems to be in balance with creation and destruction.

Archived