Expressive Upgrade Available Now!! - 279457

• Developer

ONI_Expression_keyart.png

Though originally thrown together by cruel cosmic circumstance, the Duplicants of the colony have weathered incredible hardships together and come out the other side as stronger friends for it. Armed with their new talents of self awareness, compassion and extreme friendliness, our intrepid Dupes are now fully committed to supporting each other through life in the colony - the good times, and the bad. 

But mostly they'll just chat about cute Hatches.

What's New in the Expressive Upgrade?

Duplicant Interactions

Duplicants have new powers of self expression and are now more aware of the colony, themselves, and even their peers. New animations, expressions, and interactions have been added to help the Duplicants convey what's happening to and around them.

Key Features

• Reaction Animations: Duplicants will now visibly react when they gain new status effects and notice when important things happen around them.
  • Interactions: Duplicants will greet their friends in the halls, chat a bit while working, and compliment each other on a job well done. Turns out they're not alone on this asteroid!
  • Conversations: Do you like Mushbars? I like Mushbars! Mushbars are pretty good. You're such a good listener, you know?

Scheduling and Personal Time

As part of their new self-awareness, Duplicants have become concerned about about their Morale. Just because they're buried under miles of rock and slime (and half of them have embarrassing GI problems) doesn't mean they can't be happy!

Key Features

• Scheduling: Colonywide schedules can now be adjusted, not only to give the Duplicants much needed Downtime at the end of the day to socialize and unwind, but also to ensure they empty their bladders before they run off to work!
  • New Recreation Buildings: While the most basic of breaks can be accomplished by hanging out by the Water Cooler, Duplicants can really let loose at the local Jukebot or Arcade Cabinet!
  • Morale Expectation: Job expectations have been unified into a single Morale rating, which encompasses Duplicants' food, lodgings, activities, and whatever else on the asteroid that they find fulfilling.

And More!

• New Mini Transformer: A new Mini Transformer has been introduced to improve technological progression through the Research Tree. Pick up the mini version for a quick start into Transformer usage, then build the full Transformer for a real challenge!
  • Discoverable Lore Entries: What was "Gravitas", and what was their purpose? How did the Duplicants end up on the asteroid? Inspect buildings, critters, and more to fill your Database and start unraveling the mystery!
  • Updated Animations and Sounds: Critter animations, including babies, wrangling, and morphs have received new animations and sounds, along with a number of buildings which previously had been silent.
  • Tons of bug fixes, rebalances, QOL additions, and more!

We'd like to thank everyone who participated in the Expressive Upgrade Test Branch, submitted your crash and bug reports, and gave your feedback in our Suggestions Forum. We're always grateful to hear your thoughts and thank you for the time spent playing our game.

Now go take a break!

Frequently Asked Questions

Spoiler

What are the system requirements?
Specs are likely to change, but currently these are the requirements we have. It is highly recommended that you do not purchase if you aren't over this spec as we may have to raise the spec in the future. 

Minimum System Requirements for Windows, Mac, and Linux

How often can we expect new updates while you're in EA?
All new content is being released as part of our regular game Upgrades every six weeks. Check the update timer in the main menu to see how long to go until the next update!

Is there OSX and Linux support for this game?
Yes there is! The game can be installed through Steam on either of these platforms.

What about other platforms(consoles/mobile)?
There are no plans to support any other platforms at this time.

I found a bug/have a suggestion. What should I do?
Come let us know about it on the forums!

Will there be multiplayer?
There are currently no plans to add multiplayer.

ONI_Expression_keyart_no_logo.jpg

View full update

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Final Testing Branch Patch Notes

• Water cooler has sound effects.
  • Arcade machine has one and two player sound effects.
  • New building: Espresso Machine

Amazing!

1.png.9598905af4aa7406047fc665cf0b78be.png

Water +  Pincha Peppernut (1kg/time) = A couple of Espresso

Edited by R9MX4
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

For those of us who've been on EU, for reference.  I BOLDed the ones I thought were significantly important.  Italics are my notes.

Final Testing Branch Patch Notes

• Water cooler has sound effects.
  • Arcade machine has one and two player sound effects.
  • New building: Espresso Machine  (It's in Precision Plumbing, new research node at tail of plumbing)
  • Small transformer sound effects.
  • Refinery and fabricator side screen build queues should better indicate their 'ingredients available' status.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when inspecting decor.
  • Showering is now limited to the Bathtime schedule block.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when a dupe finished research started by a now deceseased dupe.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when using sandbox tools to delete a dupe.
  • Massage table once again applies a boosted effect when placed in a proper room.
  • Plants no longer show Morale in their side panel.
  • Food morale bonuses should now be properly applied.
  • Increased the threshold at which duplicants are willing to eat a breaktime meal to half a day's calories.
  • The maximum stress gain/loss from morale has been clamped
  • Morale expecation of highest job tier slightly reduced  (From 24+ to 20+)
  • Duplicants will walk a little bit further to get a higher-quality piece of food than a lower-quality piece of food.
  • Moved JukeBot up a tier in the decor tree, moved Espresso machine to late in the plumbing tree.

@Ipsquiggle Can you enlighten us to the change for Morale that reads like 10/12/12 or 11/8/8?

Edited by WanderingKid
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

I swore to myself I would not typo that... Hahahahah. Sigh....

Um, being that it is the EXPRESSIVE update... shouldn't this be one exception to the spelling? in-game even?!

Not definitively, but looking at an old save... 25%/-25%.  So, Morale under or above 5 from target.

EDIT: I know this will keep me out of all the really good parties, but -40%/25% seems like a better clamping balance.  If morale should matter, it should HURT.

Edited by WanderingKid
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, WanderingKid said:

Not definitively, but looking at an old save... 25%/-25%.  So, Morale under or above 5 from target.

EDIT: I know this will keep me out of all the really good parties, but -40%/25% seems like a better clamping balance.  If morale should matter, it should HURT.

80% was too high.  25% might be low but still means in 4 cycles things could go bad for neglected dips.  At least message can offset 25%.

1 minute ago, _Q_ said:

Recreation room not showing on morale bonus list. Its not giving any bonuses atm.

Rec room not giving morale would kind break the whole point of the upgrade?

1 minute ago, _Q_ said:

Recreation room not showing on morale bonus list. Its not giving any bonuses atm.

Same problem for conversations on the water cooler.

1 minute ago, chemie said:

80% was too high.  25% might be low but still means in 4 cycles things could go bad for neglected dips.  At least message can offset 25%.

Agreed, but part of the problem with the 80% value against massage tables were the tables were accidentally nerfed because they lost the room bonus.  -40% seems like a more valuable starting balance point.

2 minutes ago, WanderingKid said:

Same problem for conversations on the water cooler.

Agreed, but part of the problem with the 80% value against massage tables were the tables were accidentally nerfed because they lost the room bonus.  -40% seems like a more valuable starting balance point.

As someone who played fatalistic and still ignored stress, I hope they got the balance right.  Only playing will tell if 25% is meaningful or meaningless 

1 minute ago, chemie said:

As someone who played fatalistic and still ignored stress, I hope they got the balance right.  Only playing will tell if 25% is meaningful or meaningless 

Alright, because the values are + and - depending on which way you state it, let me rephrase.  Increase stress up to 40%, lower stress by 25% for Morale. XD  That would still put fatalistic at 60%, which would be expensive but at least you have a fighting chance to correct the problem.

Yes, now it really HURT. Especially when I'm feeding dupes with meal lice at cycle 24.

My Amper got crazy and started to destroy all when stress reached 100% - had to change hat from (he just got it) scientist tier 4 to digger tier 1 :-).

No quick rush now.

Jukebot with 960W requirement at early stage of game? It is really annoying - but effects are really nice.

1 minute ago, Anduril said:

My Amper got crazy and started to destroy all when stress reached 100% - had to change hat from (he just got it) scientist tier 4 to digger tier 1 :-).

Even if you change the job, the duplicant keep the highest tier reached so they will still ask for tier 4 morale in your case :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Anduril said:

Yes, now it really HURT. Especially when I'm feeding dupes with meal lice at cycle 24.

Same here.  Alternate 2 scientists so Tier 4 starts about the time you've assembled the Great Hall and you can carry on without significant issue.  Strap together a lot of bluff briars in the research lab and keep a massage table or two on standby until you can get past the 12+ tier.

Just now, Yannick Vachon said:

Even if you change the job, the duplicant keep the highest tier reached so they will still ask for tier 4 morale in your case :)

Only if you complete the job.  If you find one at say, 80% done, you can still push them off the profession for a while.

Sorry if I’m being a noob, but I couldn’t see it anywhere... can I resume a cosmic save game or do I need to start again for expressive to work?

I ask because the new schedule feature says “not implemented” but not sure if it’s my incompetence with the game or ignorance of update cycle requirements(!). 

Many thanks.

PS Keep up the good work!

2 minutes ago, mrtommo said:

Sorry if I’m being a noob, but I couldn’t see it anywhere... can I resume a cosmic save game or do I need to start again for expressive to work?

I ask because the new schedule feature says “not implemented” but not sure if it’s my incompetence with the game or ignorance of update cycle requirements(!). 

You can resume an existing save, just prepare for a bit of a change for the morale expectations.  It's a  bug that it shows NOT IMPLEMENTED.  it's working just fine.