Ugh the Heat! Can't deal with that!

Understand, but I read that a smart batterie after the transformer (small power side) to control the transformer will shut it off, therefore reducing the heat generated. that been sid, my gen room is now a complete mess since I had an aquatuner (bottom of picture). May be there is a better way to have gen fire up if at least one batteries (small side) is low, but I cannot find something else than (battery OR battery) OR (battery OR battery) etc..

image.thumb.png.d5f80274667f041ffb5ce56896aafe3b.png

2 hours ago, Argelle said:

Understand, but I read that a smart batterie after the transformer (small power side) to control the transformer will shut it off, therefore reducing the heat generated. that been sid, my gen room is now a complete mess since I had an aquatuner (bottom of picture). May be there is a better way to have gen fire up if at least one batteries (small side) is low, but I cannot find something else than (battery OR battery) OR (battery OR battery) etc..

I have almost no idea what is going on there, there's so much logic going on.  Smart Battery logic should be simple.  Running low on power, turn 'thing' on.  Transformer or generator, there shouldn't be much need for confusing logic controls.

EDIT: I think I understand where you're getting confused.  The small side batteries aren't for the generators, they only shut off the transformer.  Normal Smart batteries should be directly hooked up to your main power trunk, and turn on/off generators when normal power consumption brings that generator under its percentage.

The way it works for me is:

Generator bank => smart battery controlling generators => main power trunk line => branch off towards what needs power => transformer => smart battery controlling either transformer directly or power shutoff on branch line before transformer => normal or conductive wires to whatever is using the power

WanderingKid, my set up is the same as beowulf2010, but the way generators (GEN) are controlled is by a cascade of OR gates from smart batteries (SB) :

SB  SB  SB  SB  SB  SB  SB  SB
   \    /       \    /       \    /        \    /
    OR       OR        OR        OR
         \        /              \           /
           OR                   OR
              \                     /          
               \                   / 
                \                 /
                       OR
                         |
                   all GEN

The very same batteries (again, small power side) control the transormer (PT) (one each):

|      |      |      |      |      |      |      |
PT   PT   PT  PT  PT   PT  PT  PT

Does it clarify my meaning?

17 minutes ago, Argelle said:

WanderingKid, my set up is the same as beowulf2010, but the way generators (GEN) are controlled is by a cascade of OR gates from smart batteries (SB) :

\    /       \    /       \    /        \    /
    OR       OR        OR        OR
         \        /              \           /
           OR                   OR
              \                     /          
               \                   / 
                \                 /
                       OR
                         |
                   all GEN

This seems like overdoing it.  You're wasting a lot of Refined Metal by building all those Gates and extensive Automation networks for something that, by appearances, could be done with a single battery connected to all your generators.

This is a big waste, I agree. I have one battery in the main trunk (heavy power side) but, as soon as the aquatuner fire up, it get drain faster than a phone battery on new year eve... that was my way of running the aquatuner only for short times (fear of consuming all my nat gas and coal in one cycle), but you right, I'll have to rethink the whole thing...

I never checked.. building and deconstructing does not produce any loss in material construction, right ? :?

2 hours ago, Argelle said:

I never checked.. building and deconstructing does not produce any loss in material construction, right ? :?

No, as long as the materials are in play, they're equally returned.  It's why I usually flip my early power builds out of Copper without it being a concern to build exosuits later in play.

Here's an example of my build that's tiered to each level of power:

hCdFbFr.jpg

Each area of power should be staged to control the level you need.  1.2 kw shouldn't be an issue if you have electrical engineers, and you've left your power at the quiet end.  If you've been fighting for coal the whole time, it's time you looked at your power choices.

Treating power like algae not a bad choice, it's volume to value.  If you have *X* ways of creating O2, you have *X* ways of producing power.  Treat power as an intake/outake, and it'll make more sense.

9 minutes ago, Jazzy Jazzinton said:

Now I've never dealt with volcanoes or Scalding Heat, but my suggestion is surrounding it with abyssalite tiles, build an airlock that looks like this -> I=I (Each Line Represents a Mechanized Airlock) and have dupes wear the heat resistant clothing

Only exosuits can prevent scalding. If space between volkano and doors is filled by any gas it will trasfer heat. Aforementioned construction  I=I do not implies keeping vacuum... so it will be heated or melted with time. The two ways to have acces and completely insulate the volcano is 3doors vacuum lock or vacuum room and waterlock. I have never tried to build tube station there, but it seems possible too.

7 minutes ago, Jazzy Jazzinton said:

Well, I never dealt with Volcanoes, like I said. Is there a difference between an Exosuit and an Atmo Suit?

nope. At least i ment the same. Also, in case of 3doors vacuum lock, the inner one should be made of wolframite. Do not forget about material melting point.

A typical example of a three door with a middle vacuum (below, and on an early post). If the air trapped next to the volcano is too hot, it's better to put the automation stuff (including the weight plate), all made of Wolframite, entirely on the inside, so the hot gasses that come out when the door opens do not heat up the automation stuff after the door closes.

Spoiler

5af3f3efc77de__doorwithweightplate.thumb.jpg.a68ae0686c2d83895a62270cdf07a0f0.jpg

Also if a water lock is added:

Spoiler

5b3953fc08ae9__doorwithweightplate2.thumb.jpg.d4062e03c8dd7ba179dc09922e526e18.jpg

17 hours ago, Argelle said:

This is a big waste, I agree. I have one battery in the main trunk (heavy power side) but, as soon as the aquatuner fire up, it get drain faster than a phone battery on new year eve... that was my way of running the aquatuner only for short times (fear of consuming all my nat gas and coal in one cycle), but you right, I'll have to rethink the whole thing...

I had this problem too but you can make it work a lot smoother by tweaking the activation settings on the smart batteries. I set the batteries on the consumer side of the transfo to activate from 85 to 95 and the batteries on the producing side to kick on the generators when they fall below 25 up until they are full to 95. This way a transfo kicking in will only draw 10% of a battery at a time and the battery on the generator side has enough reserve to catch 7 of these "kicks". Set up this way if you only have 7 transfo's you will never have a brownout even if they all fire at the same time.

I also like to have a separate smart battery for the petroleum generator so I can finetune its contribution to my power supply, since I still have some problems balancing the oil I produce and consume.

Hope that helps.

On 28/06/2018 at 4:55 PM, TOOK14 said:

Screenshot (171).png

The sheer amount of transformers you have scares me XD I think I have 6 in my entire base/build.

2 for Oxygen (Could possible be reduced but wouldnt wanna risk it)

2 for Cooling (Aquatuners & their automation, Nuff said)

2 for Exosuits, Lights, 4 liquid pumps and 2 gas pumps.

But i do like how neat yours looks

6 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

The sheer amount of transformers you have scares me XD I think I have 6 in my entire base/build.

Mine probably would worry you too, then, but mine is a complete mess compared to this.

8lGXWNH.jpg

23 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

Than mean 6 x 800 W power generated (max) or generator off main grid ?

On 2.07.2018 at 12:29 AM, Alex_D said:

A typical example of a three door with a middle vacuum (below, and on an early post). If the air trapped next to the volcano is too hot, it's better to put the automation stuff (including the weight plate), all made of Wolframite, entirely on the inside, so the hot gasses that come out when the door opens do not heat up the automation stuff after the door closes.

Hide contents

5af3f3efc77de__doorwithweightplate.thumb.jpg.a68ae0686c2d83895a62270cdf07a0f0.jpg

Also if a water lock is added:

Hide contents

5b3953fc08ae9__doorwithweightplate2.thumb.jpg.d4062e03c8dd7ba179dc09922e526e18.jpg

How do you make vacuum betwen doors each time you open it?

Just now, Parusoid said:

How do you make vacuum between doors each time you open it?

The vacuum is made automatically after the middle door reopens. Some gas may get deleted.
The way it works is the weight plate sensor sends a positive signal to the middle door, to open. When the door that is on the sensor opens, the signal changes to negative, closing the middle door. When the door that is on the sensor finally closes, it sends a positive signal, which gets delayed by the filter gate (1 second works fine), which is enough to delay the signal so the middle door closes and re-opens. Then the vacuum is created.

29 minutes ago, Alex_D said:

The vacuum is made automatically after the middle door reopens. Some gas may get deleted.
The way it works is the weight plate sensor sends a positive signal to the middle door, to open. When the door that is on the sensor opens, the signal changes to negative, closing the middle door. When the door that is on the sensor finally closes, it sends a positive signal, which gets delayed by the filter gate (1 second works fine), which is enough to delay the signal so the middle door closes and re-opens. Then the vacuum is created.

Oh so its an exploit?

On 29.06.2018 at 12:42 PM, BlueLance said:

So my set up for Nat Gas and Hydrogen from geysers is the same, it is 8x8 in size, contains a pump and 2 wheezeworts

I made the exact same setup and the two wheezworts cant keep up with cooling down. My pump is constantly broken due to overheating :/ 

9 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

I made the exact same setup and the two wheezworts cant keep up with cooling down. My pump is constantly broken due to overheating :/ 

I assume this is with the hydrogen vent? If your pressure is too low it will overheat, I use an atmo sensor and thermo sensor with an AND gate to make sure the gas is above a certain pressure and below a certain temperature. I do the same with Natural Gas usually.

That is my Natural gas design. Sensors are at 2kg

This is my Hydrogen design Sensors are at 4kg and below 100

Archived