Ugh the Heat! Can't deal with that!

I always struggle with the heat! I know the theory of dealing with it but I usually fail. I fail with every source of heat but recently its the volcano. Currently I have a iron volcano that is making a lot of heat and it didn't ruin my base yet because I enclosed it with abbysilte. I can't however access it without my dupes scalding and the heat escaping. Every door will transfer the heat so there is no door. I kind of feel excused for using alt + q to get all the iron the volcano is spawning and dump It into winter biome. Thermonullifeir is so far away that it would cost a milion tons of rock to build any kind of piping! I'm really frustrated :/

41 minutes ago, Alex_D said:

You need to build a three door system to hold most of the heat out from the volcano

Reveal hidden contents

5af3f3efc77de__doorwithweightplate.thumb.jpg.a68ae0686c2d83895a62270cdf07a0f0.jpg

Also, for cooling the base, use a system of clean water pipes to pump cold water, after two aqua tuners and the water sieve:

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/90715-what-to-do-about-heat/

That's useful 

24 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

Even with a AETN they don't cool fast enough

Oh,maybe it's good for other things than volcanos? 

8 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

That's useful 

Oh,maybe it's good for other things than volcanos? 

I can barely cool a cool steam vent with one. I find them kind of weak and it was the first time that I used one. Maybe the last too.

It's a complicated thing indeed.

But just watch what is making heat in your base, usually, one starts with the computers and algae deoxidizers, but it's manageable. Then with coal generators, which you sould put far awar from farms, and the real heat producer is the electrolizer. That last one is the tricky one, since you need it to survive, but also if you dont cool the oxygen it kills your plants. So, try to focus on a way to cool it. The basic way is just add a couple of termo coolers, other is put a bunch of weezeworts near the pump that pulls the oxygen (because you dont want an electrolizer inside your base). But if you figure that one out, you should make it.

Use the heat to produce natgas from crude oil.

If you only want the cooling and no other benefits, you could build a stack of steam turbines nearby, cool the volcano with water and have the steam power the turbines. The energy produced is by turbine laughable and it deletes some steam, but it has a lot of cooling power.

28 minutes ago, leoroy said:

I can barely cool a cool steam vent with one. I find them kind of weak and it was the first time that I used one. Maybe the last too.

It is better to use a liquid to cool a steam vent. Especially since you can pump 10kg/s versus 1kg/s

1 hour ago, FullMetalArthur said:

It's a complicated thing indeed.

But just watch what is making heat in your base, usually, one starts with the computers and algae deoxidizers, but it's manageable. Then with coal generators, which you sould put far awar from farms, and the real heat producer is the electrolizer. That last one is the tricky one, since you need it to survive, but also if you dont cool the oxygen it kills your plants. So, try to focus on a way to cool it. The basic way is just add a couple of termo coolers, other is put a bunch of weezeworts near the pump that pulls the oxygen (because you dont want an electrolizer inside your base). But if you figure that one out, you should make it.

Those are good tips however I am past that in my base development. My coal generators are enclosed, and the heated CO2 is destroyed by carbon skimmer along with its heat. Electrolizer is also enclosed along with 4 wheezeworst and hydrogen generator, i have some time before it will be very hot, for now i dont need to delete heat from there. My plants are cooled by cold water and it is enough even when they are in 30c atmosphere/

Thermo coolers are tricky beause they redirect heat, not delete it

1 hour ago, chemie said:

Exosuits for dups... but what do you need the copper for anyway?  There is plenty of 40c gold on the map.

Exosuits are really expensive for me oxygen-wise so i try to delay it. I need refined metal, gold amalgam just does not seem enough especielay when i do not venture that far away to dig up every bit of metal from whole map

57 minutes ago, Coolthulhu said:

Use the heat to produce natgas from crude oil.

If you only want the cooling and no other benefits, you could build a stack of steam turbines nearby, cool the volcano with water and have the steam power the turbines. The energy produced is by turbine laughable and it deletes some steam, but it has a lot of cooling power.

I do not have plastic yet or the oil biome discovered because it introduces a lot of things with additional heat managment and im scared

22 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

Thermo coolers are tricky beause they redirect heat, not delete it

Never use them so far.

Any advice as to where and how to set them up?

They may not be submerge, so I was wondering: place them away from base?

On the other hand, they need so much power, I'm not happy with drawing long heavy power line for kilometer.

Do you have a screen as to how you set thermo cooler up?

5 minutes ago, Argelle said:

Never use them so far.

On the other hand, they need so much power, I'm not happy with drawing long heavy power line for kilometer.

I dont have beacuse i rarely use them bc of the reason i stated in my post, i beleive you may ask this question to FullMetalArtur since he gave the idea of using thermo coolers

I invariably build a steam turbine over my volcanoes, they are terrible for power, but it's the only way to cool something as hot as a volcano in a reasonable way.  I still store refined metal away from anything heat sensitive, but at least my dupes don't burn alive anytime they have to build with it, and I'm not slowly cooking the map.

Spoiler

All tiles are abyssalite, all buffer and filters are set to 1 second, save for the lowest filter which is 2, and the buffers for the airlocks, which are 5(2 if powered).  Atmo sensor is set to below 3,500g, hydro is set to below 20Kg, and the thermo sensors are just used as on/off switches.

5b33d8d651b47_Screenshot(155).thumb.png.4831f4b9dc26bd8cbcc5348b49fb4697.png5b33d8f202453_Screenshot(158).thumb.png.270279afd7cdf7e523729dd95e1db7cc.png5b33d8df7131b_Screenshot(156).thumb.png.660c0de7d353601e99038c3c44487d83.png5b33d8e96d9b8_Screenshot(157).thumb.png.e00f7c76e2fa9204326353c6f13ccb7c.png

Yes it's a lot of resources and research, but until I get there I just box it in abyssalite and leave one opening facing away from my base, preferably towards a cold biome or body of Pwater I don't care about.  Also use door permissions to keep your dupes out of there when it's active.

16 minutes ago, Argelle said:

Never use them so far.

Gas coolers aren't hard, just make them out of iron or wolframite, and put them in a room full of hydrogen and a wheeze or 2 per cooler.  However, with the introduction of radiant piping, I think gas coolers are fairly pointless, as you can take the same setup, and just wind radiant piping over the room instead of paying power to do the same thing.

Liquid coolers are tough, both because they are a power hog and they build up heat VERY quickly.  ALWAYS keep liquid coolers in liquid, and either use them to boil Pwater, or have the coolant cycled through a powerful cooling system(such as a thermo nullifier)

No, but for a time I wanted to be.  The double door pumps are actually needed to get any semblance of efficiency out of the steam turbine, and the 5 doors are needed with cosmic as the time for doors to open and close was altered.  I probably should swap the liquid and mechanical airlocks (liquid are perfect for maintaining purity of gasses, and the mechanical is a near perfect thermal barrier).  That door sequencing is actually just a tweaked version I borrowed from a youtuber, and that's the beauty of these forums, we all take eachother's ideas, make them our own, post new versions, rinse, repeat, and eventually we will find crazy optimal setups.

Oh, I forgot to mention, the double heavi joint plate up top is actually to maintain a vacuum in that 2 tile gap, otherwise it'll leak heat like crazy, as it's made of highly conductive metal.

I'm seriously waiting for the day they let you build pumps out of refined metal(steel), then we might, MIGHT actually be able to make steam turbine systems that are actually useful for power. 

1 hour ago, Parusoid said:

Those are good tips however I am past that in my base development. My coal generators are enclosed, and the heated CO2 is destroyed by carbon skimmer along with its heat. Electrolizer is also enclosed along with 4 wheezeworst and hydrogen generator, i have some time before it will be very hot, for now i dont need to delete heat from there. My plants are cooled by cold water and it is enough even when they are in 30c atmosphere/

Then what is exacly your problem? With heat producers enclosed, air cooling with wheezeworts and carbon skimmers you have it all figure it out. Besides Termo coolers just need to be outside the base as all other heat producers and drop the air temperature 14C°. For only 240 kw, which is not that much. Exosuits are not that hard to make either, yes they need refined metal but that is what the rock crusher is for. Just put a algae deoxidizer with a pump to feed it with Oxygen and some power lines. Not that complicated.

Your thermo aquatuners never go over 60c?  If that's the case I wanna know how you set them up, because that's amazing.  I can't think of anything that refuses to go over 60c, I know the heaters don't go over ~80c, but that's a different subject.

3 minutes ago, TOOK14 said:

Your thermo aquatuners never go over 60c?  If that's the case I wanna know how you set them up, because that's amazing.  I can't think of anything that refuses to go over 60c, I know the heaters don't go over ~80c, but that's a different subject.

Image 009.png

3 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

Image 009.png

Remove the solids, isolate chamber with abbyssalite too, remove a bit liquid (for faster process) (set liquid vent one tile lower), make opening for steam.. You are slowly heating everything there, spreading, takes some time..

hmmm, my guess as to why your aquatuner never goes over 60c is you are pulling the heat away with the liquid pump, or it's seeping out through the walls into your base.
Here's an example of using aquatuners to boil water, taken from another thread going on right now "New PW Boiler design, (NO PO2!)"

Spoiler

Just finished, this new boiler doesn't use volcanoes or geysers and I have the PW input set at 40C And the clean water output is 4C

(Just don't ask how much power it uses :p)

20180627112732_1.thumb.jpg.08b63e6847c6bc999f5b230a3b34e804.jpg20180627112737_1.thumb.jpg.768a2e7fa877861eb78b01a4a6392462.jpg20180627112800_1.thumb.jpg.8e438884cae122f0f795e5714402bd41.jpg

Automation setup, the PW shuts off when there is PW at the hydro sensor.  Aqua tuners turn off when the petroleum temp is 170C or over.

20180627112825_1.thumb.jpg.e0f476aec6a9e29dd0a735a14c28e6f2.jpg

Personally I'm toying over new designs, but I typically use a closed coolant system for feeding the aquatuner and condensation.

Also I only use 1 aquatuner, because they are power hogs.  This guy is using debug and/or sandbox mode to design systems.

Just now, TOOK14 said:

hmmm, my guess as to why your aquatuner never goes over 60c is you are pulling the heat away with the liquid pump, or it's seeping out through the walls into your base.
Here's an example of using aquatuners to boil water, taken from another thread going on right now "New PW Boiler design, (NO PO2!)"

Hide contents

Just finished, this new boiler doesn't use volcanoes or geysers and I have the PW input set at 40C And the clean water output is 4C

(Just don't ask how much power it uses :p)

20180627112732_1.thumb.jpg.08b63e6847c6bc999f5b230a3b34e804.jpg20180627112737_1.thumb.jpg.768a2e7fa877861eb78b01a4a6392462.jpg20180627112800_1.thumb.jpg.8e438884cae122f0f795e5714402bd41.jpg

Automation setup, the PW shuts off when there is PW at the hydro sensor.  Aqua tuners turn off when the petroleum temp is 170C or over.

20180627112825_1.thumb.jpg.e0f476aec6a9e29dd0a735a14c28e6f2.jpg

Personally I'm toying over new designs, but I typically use a closed coolant system for feeding the aquatuner and condensation.

THat design looks very expensive and vast, simpler way to boil pwater would liquid peptidizer

Tepidizers and space heaters will shut off on their own when they reach something like 85c.  As I said at the same time you said that, I just use 1 aquatuner in a different setup.

Spoiler

5b33f32d85ebe_Screenshot(163).thumb.png.10c7b963e3c9cea585a1220320abb8e1.png5b33f32250678_Screenshot(162).thumb.png.a6eb72fd0da8e8633f5d23bc7bc4e9cf.png5b33f31a88c57_Screenshot(161).thumb.png.b7330f986da4d0bb03c9cb9d0c76b142.png5b33f31292ab8_Screenshot(160).thumb.png.cf9aa770348cbb3d0feeaa15972306e2.png5b33f30a30680_Screenshot(159).thumb.png.9bf0ba4423151aa98dc0dab9feb27c39.png

I mainly use this for sustainable dirt, and I'm not satisfied with it, as the PO2 offgassing seems to be interfering with the steam reaching the cooling tank, but it's far more reasonable for a normal, non-cheaty run.  Also boiling polluted water like this is actually net negative heat, due to Pwater having a higher heat capacity than steam.

5 minutes ago, TOOK14 said:

Tepidizers and space heaters will shut off on their own when they reach something like 85c.  As I said at the same time you said that, I just use 1 aquatuner in a different setup.

Hide contents

5b33f32d85ebe_Screenshot(163).thumb.png.10c7b963e3c9cea585a1220320abb8e1.png5b33f32250678_Screenshot(162).thumb.png.a6eb72fd0da8e8633f5d23bc7bc4e9cf.png5b33f31a88c57_Screenshot(161).thumb.png.b7330f986da4d0bb03c9cb9d0c76b142.png5b33f31292ab8_Screenshot(160).thumb.png.cf9aa770348cbb3d0feeaa15972306e2.png5b33f30a30680_Screenshot(159).thumb.png.9bf0ba4423151aa98dc0dab9feb27c39.png

I mainly use this for sustainable dirt, and I'm not satisfied with it, as the PO2 offgassing seems to be interfering with the steam reaching the cooling tank, but it's far more reasonable for a normal, non-cheaty run.  Also boiling polluted water is actually net negative heat, due to Pwater having a higher heat capacity than steam.

How much dirt can you make this way per 1kg of pwater?

Archived