Drawings and Drivel

9 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

vroom

IMG_20181201_0001.jpg

i have no idea how much i love vroom-vrooms. 

this is rad, i like how wx literally looks like they're humanoid version of a motorcycle even though it's just their forge skin

Edited by rubiidiums
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, minespatch said:

a hardcore drawing

9 hours ago, rubiidiums said:

this is rad

My time here is complete. Thanks, you people.

9 hours ago, rubiidiums said:

wx literally looks like they're humanoid version of a motorcycle even though it's just their forge skin

Yeah, that actually turned out better than I had expected. Because this needed to happen.

So I have a hard time drawing animals, since I'm so biased towards human/humanoid characters.

IMG_20181201_00011.jpg

Edited by ResettePlayer
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, ResettePlayer said:

So I have a hard time drawing animals, since I'm so biased towards human/humanoid characters.

IMG_20181201_00011.jpg

Nice drawing here actually, I like how you did Wendy and the 'old' tinted color to the picture. 

Ah, hard time with animals? I'm reversed, I have issues with humans. You did pretty good with this Pog though, the dimensions on the ears are good! A lot of people end up drawing flat triangles for ears, you successfully avoided that. 

Wendy looks as though she is glaring or looking down on the creature as she pets it, but maybe it's death she is glaring at as she thinks about it. Death did, after all, take away her precious sister. 

Edited by gallusvarius
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, minespatch said:

I love the discomfort in Wendy's face. Fits in character while being subtle with still trying to balance her emotionless expression as well. You managed to maintain Pog's cuteness on model.

Yeah, Wendy's face is probably the most difficult if you want to convey any emotion whatsoever. Well, right after WX-78.

I'm glad to hear the pog is accurate! There isn't a whole lot of reference for those yet.

8 hours ago, Russian Philin said:

Woodie biker reminds me of this wonderful guy and artist

Haha, yes! Jesse often acknowledges that he resembles Woodie.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

IMG_20181205_0001.thumb.jpg.18861f440d3a062e9af7374051ea6924.jpg

This Pugalisk drawing reminds me of that batilisk drawing.

Reveal hidden contents

batilisk.thumb.png.7902fdf86c502529dc3dc9acf2c3be36.png

Go for the eyes, Wigfrid.

Oh, I love this more than you might know, since I more or less did this exact battle, Wigfrid, Pugalisk and all. I just can't jump on heads unfortunately, if I could than evading the stupid ice vision would have been way easier. 

Great details with the pugalisk! I love the scales on his head and how solid and rigid all of his scales and horns look. And the shading on him really stands out! He's a really impressive Pugalisk. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, minespatch said:

The axe reminds me of the Gorge one.

Hamlet and Gorge have a lot of visual similarities. So yeah.

6 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

I love the scales on his head and how solid and rigid all of his scales and horns look

Thank you! I was a bit worried that he looked a bit too stone-like and not alive, but it kind of suits him anyway.

• Like 2

Just now, ResettePlayer said:

Hamlet and Gorge have a lot of visual similarities. So yeah.

14 hours ago, minespatch said:

The axe reminds me of the Gorge one. Just a observation.

They do, don't they? Hmm, but I kinda like it too. 
I like the sort of smoky-ness from the chimneys in the Hamlet title screen, yet the towns look far less industrious in person. I think it's because all the houses and buildings are so spaced out. That's not necessarily bad though, I suppose. 

• Like 1

This has been on my mind for a while, and is coming to you later than I had intended.

A character who does not fit into the established lore at all!

20181221_154617.thumb.jpg.6b6ad981bf3a4342e5702f2ed6fefb5c.jpg

Didn't quite get the Don't Starve proportions here. Might have to give it another go some day. I think the sprite turned out closer to my vision.

20181221_135856.thumb.jpg.4a3cdbd7e3dba8bd29b4526ee4fa1086.jpg

Note that Wight is not intended to be Maxwell, that's just a thought I had while drawing him.

I'm home for the winter break between semesters at the moment, so most of my supplies had to be left behind in my dorm. Including my scanner. So yeah, no colour and unprofessional presentation, sorry about that.

Some roughs that get honourable mention:

Spoiler

Oof, can you even see this one?

Though this iteration wasn't the most original, he does look more like he just crawled out of a tomb.

20181221_143813.thumb.jpg.211cd30a017397aa6ca2f1f8f0518882.jpg

After figuring out that I wanted to give him the underbite and fur cape thing, that's when I realised this guy was basically a grouchy old man.

20181221_135936.thumb.jpg.fa556d2e527547b0081e125ac9d04009.jpg 

Gave him oversized foot wrappings in an attempt to accentuate his old man-itude.

20181221_135924.thumb.jpg.93c029bba44ead0fd7494c860f089d26.jpg

I just like this one. Kinda reminds me of Eddie.

Wanna brainstorm some mechanics? I was thinking Wight would be similar to Maxwell and Wigfrid. Maxwell, because he's old and frail; Wigfrid, because he's great at killing things. Being undead, I can't imagine he'd be terribly bothered by night and other monsters, so maybe his sanity drains during the daytime instead. He'd only eat raw food, and his health would be recovered by eating Nightmare Fuel. Thoughts?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for cobbling this together. I'm going to try getting you and everyone else's presents as soon as possible.I was actually thinking of Inn keeper when looking at wight's design.

Maybe due to wight being a survivor, he gains sanity while eating rot and poop but loses health if eating regular foods?

He's probably a slower character but has better strength to make up for it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, minespatch said:

Maybe due to wight being a survivor, he gains sanity while eating rot and poop but loses health if eating regular foods?

He's probably a slower character but has better strength to make up for it?

Maybe. Rot and poop may be hard to get a hold of on the first day though. And it just seems appropriate for him to eat raw meat/freshly murdered animals, doesn't it? He'd have to eat a dozen or so berries in order to get a decent "meal," which adds a smidge of challenge.

As for speed, that's a decent idea to enhance the idea that he's an ancient corpse hobbling about. His knees probably aren't what they used to be. That might conflict with the low health though, since he'd have a hard time dodging and then he'd just... be killed. How strong would he have to be to make up for that?

Another idea that crossed my mind: Wight would eat Nightmare fuel for upgrades (similar to WX-78), but they'd be temporary. Probably wouldn't work alongside fuel for health, but a it's way to incorporate his undead status into gameplay a bit more.

2 hours ago, minespatch said:

Inn keeper

Oh dang, the resemblance certainly is there. Underbite, fur cape thing, the fact that the innkeeper seems to be on the verge of death anyway... maybe they're related. Wight is noseless and (probably) blue-hued, and that's the main facial difference, I suppose.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

Wanna brainstorm some mechanics? I was thinking Wight would be similar to Maxwell and Wigfrid. Maxwell, because he's old and frail; Wigfrid, because he's great at killing things. Being undead, I can't imagine he'd be terribly bothered by night and other monsters, so maybe his sanity drains during the daytime instead. He'd only eat raw food, and his health would be recovered by eating Nightmare Fuel. Thoughts?

First of all, really cool to see you dabbling in 'what if' for characters for the game! I do the same thing, I've even modded some in experimentally, but I don't give them a place in the lore anywhere, same as you. 
I think he's a very interesting idea, too. Most modded character are anime girls... This one is clearly more inclined to the nature of Don't Starve. Ever noticed how many 'Old People' there are in the Don't Starve cast?  Wickerbottom, Maxwell likely (I think Klei said he was 60 or something?), Woodlegs, and Warbucks, all qualify for being sorta old. Having even as much as four old people in the playable cast seems like a contrast to a lot of other games. 

Hmmm, mechanics... So far I know he's undead and has an attitude like an old man. 'Frail like Maxwell,' and 'Good at killing like Wigfrid.' It might be a good idea to try and elaborate on why a character is good at killing. Technically Maxwell is qualified as one of the more battle-capable characters because of his ability to wear dark armor and use dark swords and face little  drawback, especially in the singleplayer version of the game. In the single player version, it even goes so far that he happens to start out with a dark sword and some dark armor. Associating this character, Wight, with Maxwell by saying 'Maxwell 30+ years later,' is not entirely off... For Maxwell is both frail, but also qualified for battle. 
The reason why for Maxwell is because he can use powerful weapons and armor. The reason for Wigfrid is that she hits harder and has more HP and raw innate damage absorption/natural armor, inferring some intense determination?
For an Undead, I'd say... If he's dead, maybe it doesn't kill him if a Mactusk shoots a blowdart into his heart, because his heart had stopped working long ago. But that doesn't exactly fit in with him being frail... 
 Though, the nightmare fuel is an interesting idea - As if the whole reason inactive/dead muscles are able to move is because he's given 'animation' by the fuel, and his ability to keep his arms from decaying off is 'binding' given by the fuel.  You know how you can 'Use' spider glands to heal, but you don't 'eat' spider glands to heal? You might be able to tell it to use the 'Use' option, if you would rather him do an action animation than watch him chew on shadows.
As for what might make him good at killing, hmm. You could have him do more damage, but would it make sense?  But if we're pretending as if we have all options... Maybe giving him a character-unique item that does more damage is ideal? Like how Wigfrid has her unique spear. 

I like how you got the drawings for his sprite to look VERY much like something Klei might do. It's remarkable how well you captured that. 

5 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

As for speed, that's a decent idea to enhance the idea that he's an ancient corpse hobbling about. His knees probably aren't what they used to be. That might conflict with the low health though, since he'd have a hard time dodging and then he'd just... be killed. How strong would he have to be to make up for that?

Another idea that crossed my mind: Wight would eat Nightmare fuel for upgrades (similar to WX-78), but they'd be temporary. Probably wouldn't work alongside fuel for health, but a it's way to incorporate his undead status into gameplay a bit more.

Less speed makes sense, but true, with being frail, it might not work. 

I was wondering if the fuel would increase stats - But seeing as fuel is easy to get sometimes, you might want to make the upgrade he gains less than that of WX somehow. 
Maybe give him a reason for why Nightmare fuel is harder to get with him? 

• Like 3

On 10/3/2018 at 3:18 PM, ResettePlayer said:

Oh boy I got on page 2 of the forum index.

Inktober 03; also stream drawing.

20181003_180828.thumb.jpg.145c04d9377c11ccfd6a9989d37198f1.jpg

20181003_180856.thumb.jpg.ce943564309edd968a64e01d395de775.jpg

Including unnecessary artistic skull.

You say it's unnecessary, but I've been on plenty of servers where there was a skeleton in roughly that spot. Dead from freezing, overheating, or darkness, generally.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

Most modded character are anime girls...

Most of the DANG INTERNET is anime girls. They're everywhere, like a pest infestation.

Ever noticed how many 'Old People' there are in the Don't Starve cast?

It always impressed me, actually. Especially Wickerbottom. Old men occasionally turn up as playable characters (VERY FREQUENTLY as mentor figures) and old women are pretty rare in comparison.

It might be a good idea to try and elaborate on why a character is good at killing.

True. I was thinking how, in many video games, the difficulty level of undead enemies can be determined by what they are called. "Zombie" may be the weakest tier, showing up earlier in the game when the player is at a lower level. Then you may have Ghouls, then Revenants, then Wights. (Wights may be at a lower tier than revenants, I can't remember.) Basically, a wight can be a recoloured zombie that hits harder.

Is there an actual reason for this? Not really. You could say that he has a higher concentration of dark magic and evil, which is inherently destructive towards the living. I dunno. High-level undead deal a lot of damage. It's a fantasy trope.

Maybe giving him a character-unique item that does more damage is ideal? Like how Wigfrid has her unique spear.

That could work, but we don't want him to be "Wigfrid, but with less health". Take Wilson and Winona as an example; they don't necessarily have similar mechanics, but people call Winona "Wilson 2.0" anyway because there isn't enough (in their eyes, anyway) that sets them apart.

Now, giving Wight the ability to craft, say, a war horn that does something neat (such as slowing enemy movement speed) might differentiate them more.

But seeing as fuel is easy to get sometimes, you might want to make the upgrade he gains less than that of WX somehow. 
Maybe give him a reason for why Nightmare fuel is harder to get with him

Absolutely. The upgrades would be lesser, temporary buffs. And honestly, I'm not sure what would deplete Wight's sanity. Digging graves wouldn't bother him, nor would darkness, nor would monsters. Sunlight and rain would be irritating, I guess. So it would be difficult to deplete his sanity to the point where shadow monsters appear.

I like how you got the drawings for his sprite to look VERY much like something Klei might do. It's remarkable how well you captured that

Thank you! I did reference several character sprites while drawing him, and though the proportions may be a tiny bit off still, I'm pretty pleased with what I produced entirely with pencil and paper. I think this is my first proper character turnaround of any sort.

8 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Ah yes. 

The "OC phase" everyone in here has to go through.

Very nice sketch. I like it

Heh, get to cross this item off my "Rites of Passage" list.

I might polish Wight up a bit more, but I doubt I'll draw him a whole lot in the future. Unless I want to see how much I can make his face collapse in upon itself before it becomes totally unreadable.

Another idea that has been plaguing my mind for months is drawing Winston Churchill as a playable character. This has probably been done 75 times already, but my stupid brain won't shut up about it.

5 hours ago, CameoAppearance said:

You say it's unnecessary, but I've been on plenty of servers where there was a skeleton in roughly that spot. Dead from freezing, overheating, or darkness, generally.

Hah! Glad to see this was more accurate than I knew.

• Like 1

Most of the DANG INTERNET is anime girls. They're everywhere, like a pest infestation.

Oh, true, you're right. It's still annoying though.
I think the anime girls outnumber the cats at this point. 

True. I was thinking how, in many video games, the difficulty level of undead enemies can be determined by what they are called. "Zombie" may be the weakest tier, showing up earlier in the game when the player is at a lower level. Then you may have Ghouls, then Revenants, then Wights. (Wights may be at a lower tier than revenants, I can't remember.) Basically, a wight can be a recoloured zombie that hits harder.

Is there an actual reason for this? Not really. You could say that he has a higher concentration of dark magic and evil, which is inherently destructive towards the living. I dunno. High-level undead deal a lot of damage. It's a fantasy trope.

Hmm. Dark magic that's destructive towards the living... Does this mean he would do normal damage to inorganic things, though? Clockworks and nightmare monsters?
And does the dark magic merely influence how hard he hits, or is there some channel through which this dark magic flows? 
True, you would want him to be unique, but simply increasing the damage modifier is taken by two characters already - Wigfrid and Wolfgang both, with Wolfgang's being situational. 
Maybe you could make his situational too, based off of how much nightmare fuel he consumes?

Absolutely. The upgrades would be lesser, temporary buffs. And honestly, I'm not sure what would deplete Wight's sanity. Digging graves wouldn't bother him, nor would darkness, nor would monsters. Sunlight and rain would be irritating, I guess. So it would be difficult to deplete his sanity to the point where shadow monsters appear.

True, but graves can sometimes give nightmare fuel.  And the ruins have it in great abundance, nearly just lying around. With sunlight decreasing his sanity and upgrades from nightmare fuel, players would probably just scoot him into the caves to avoid the most drawbacks and reap the most rewards. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

True, you would want him to be unique, but simply increasing the damage modifier is taken by two characters already - Wigfrid and Wolfgang both, with Wolfgang's being situational. 
Maybe you could make his situational too, based off of how much nightmare fuel he consumes?

Yeah, that makes sense. The "Murder-o-Meter" could be constantly depleting... wait, no, that would basically be Wolfgang's hunger meter.

11 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

And the ruins have it in great abundance, nearly just lying around. With sunlight decreasing his sanity and upgrades from nightmare fuel, players would probably just scoot him into the caves to avoid the most drawbacks and reap the most rewards.

You could say that he's light-averse in general (though still perfectly killable by Charlie in darkness). That still wouldn't be enough. Meh.

Balancing a character is proving to be about as challenging as I had expected. Adding seemingly arbitrary drawbacks (such as, for example, slow movement speed when wearing armour items) can feel untrue to the character. Like it's just being crammed in there with little reason.

If we really must have the nightmare-fuel-for-buffs thing, it could be a recipe. Three fuels and some spider glands and maybe an evil flower or somethin' makes the Necromantic Snack. For... snackromancy? There's a pun in there somewhere.This would give a good, but still temporary, buff. Regular unprocessed fuel would recover some health. How 'bout that? What would make that recipe more hassle for an experienced player?

I drew these two for the summer themed stream prompt as well. It's weird to think that was nearly half a year ago! It feels like no time at all.

20181222_132849.thumb.jpg.0d5c661371fac3334c77411d1d88c6ea.jpg

Wilson has inherent winter advantage not only in the beard, but in the fact that he can roll down his sleeves as well. Characters such as Wendy, on the other hand, are somewhat under dressed.

20181223_141159.thumb.jpg.38fcae6429a869881bd2f927690e32c1.jpg

It occurred to me just now that I should have made that blanket a quilt. If Charlie presumably sends the survivors new clothes every now and then, they might put the rags of their old outfits to use. Stuff it with beard hair, various birds' down, and miscellaneous animal furs for insulation. Sew it together with Webber's face secretion and you got a nice blanket with a bit of everyone in it. Yeah, it's kinda nasty, but you can't have standards in the wilderness. Just think of all the memories that quilt would hold! So... cosy.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:
  1. 20181222_132849.thumb.jpg.0d5c661371fac3334c77411d1d88c6ea.jpg
  2. 20181223_141159.thumb.jpg.38fcae6429a869881bd2f927690e32c1.jpg
  3. If Charlie presumably sends the survivors new clothes every now and then, they might put the rags of their old outfits to use.
  1. I can only imagine they're inspecting due to figure out if the ornament is actually a tribble with a tiny stomach mouth as well if unlocked.
  2. Nice work keeping Wendy's miserable but still have a emotionless face. It's a sweet scene and matches the current art they released in their comic.
  3. 5927c883e5bba_charlieskinmagazine-Copy.png.c116b852ed689a2a59f4162765db9699.png
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, minespatch said:
  • 5927c883e5bba_charlieskinmagazine-Copy.png.c116b852ed689a2a59f4162765db9699.png

I don't know if you can even tell what's going on in this doodle, but I expanded upon that thought slightly.

20181223_192515.thumb.jpg.40a42f8a97856892d47271adb242ce28.jpg

Maxwell torture always puts a smile on my face.

46 minutes ago, minespatch said:

tribble

I must confess I never before considered the potential consequences of a tribble infestation in the Constant. I suppose Willow would probably just set fire to them as an extermination effort.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2