[Game Update] - 265646

• Developer
  • fixed another case where dupes could become invisible
  • adult pufts should no longer try and sleep
  • insulated tiles/pipes use the minimum of their thermal conductivity and the elements they are transferring with
  • all new eggs that spawn should now be selectable
  • fixed a crash that could occur when painting toxic sand

View full update

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Have you considered giving everything a depth order?  So that pipes and logic are always in the background and litter is always in the foreground for example. I'd have thought this was already a thing but apparently not. 

6 minutes ago, Cheerio said:

insulated tiles/pipes use the minimum of their thermal conductivity and the elements they are transferring with

Does this mean native abyssalite still transfers masses of heat?

15 minutes ago, Cheerio said:
  • all eggs should now be selectable

Sooo did you actually test that ingame or are you saying that based on the ~code~? *looks at KittenIsAGeek's post*

If you don't have a dedicated testing world with most potential use cases ready for testing, I highly suggest it.

Edited by Ambaire

1 minute ago, Cheerio said:

I switched the patch notes. It should have read all new eggs that are spawned should now be selectable. Some existing eggs will not be. If that's not the case, please report it in the bug tracker. Thanks!

OH! Ok.  Yeah, these are pre-existing eggs.

Edited by KittenIsAGeek
Removed gif

Just now, Cheerio said:

I switched the patch notes. It should have read all new eggs that are spawned should now be selectable. Some existing eggs will not be. If that's not the case, please report it in the bug tracker. Thanks!

:facedesk: Why should that make a difference? :facedesk:

7 minutes ago, monster3d2015 said:

Hasn't that always been the case if you don' insulate and/or cool your base somehow? Since the thermal update that is....

This is about the world outside your base. See here: 

21 minutes ago, Cheerio said:
  • insulated tiles/pipes use the minimum of their thermal conductivity and the elements they are transferring with

I let this run for about 4 cycles to reach equilibrium.

This piece of pipe contains constant stream of 500 g hydrogen packets at about -10 C.

It is sitting in about 500 g hydrogen which is constantly replenished from one side and consumed by the pump. Its temperature is about 15 C.

The pipe itself is at 10 C.

There is 5 C difference between the pipe and 500 g of ambient hydrogen, and 20 C difference between the pipe and 500 g of hydrogen inside the pipe.

That means the heat transfer between the pipe and ambient hydrogen is approximately 4 times greater than the heat transfer between the pipe and its contents, even though the same elements are involved in both cases.

I see no physics based reason fur such behavior. Assuming it is regular, smooth pipe, the pipe's temperature should be closer to the temperature of its contents.

And I strongly believe that with correct implementation of heat transfer in pipes, and using standard physics based tools to configure insulated, regular, and radiant pipes, we would not need such hacks to the game physics like what was introduced in the latest patch.

dLozjrQ.jpg

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

And I strongly believe that with correct implementation of heat transfer in pipes, and using standard physics based tools to configure insulated, regular, and radiant pipes, we would not need such hacks to the game physics like what was introduced in the latest patch.

dLozjrQ.jpg

Would love that

25 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

I did that too, but the biome on the left is melting now..

So now any single point with only 1 thickness of abyssalite will let heat through. Used to be you only needed to "repair" the biome where ruins or geysers had clobbered the abyssalite barrier. Now you will have to reinforce any spot where the abyssalite is only 1 square thick

Is there any spot on your ice biome that's hard to see where the heat is getting through ? Any spot where the abyssalite barrier is narrow.

Also abyssalite has a fairly high heat capacity, and it often spawns warm or hot. The innermost layer of your abyssalite will gradually exchange heat with your ice biome until it gets cold. So this process might just stabilize itself fairly quickly.

Edited by avc15
  • Like 1

A couple potential solutions,

1) Fix world generation such that the abyssalite tiles enclosing the biome are always of the same temperature as the biome. Sometimes you get 40C abyssalite next to ice, before it wasn't a big problem because the heat transfer was minimal.

2) Make abyssalite's heat capacity very small. You get some initial heat transfer until everything reaches equilibrium. Adjacent abyssalite further in biome separating barrier will then transfer more than before due to the higher delta T, but it should be small enough to not be a problem?

3) Special case naturally occurring abyssalite to behave like insulated abyssalite.

4) ?

Edited by wachunga