A way of destroying gasses

Imagine a series of Mechanized Airlocks closing against a wall and you use logic gates to close them one after another from outside to inside. As the gas will not be able to escape at the last door it will be destroyed. This can be a kind of round robin wave.

Not tried myself yet.

3 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

using mechanized airlocks seems like a cheat if you ask me, it's much more challenging to find other ways of managing gas 

then go play a different game, game mechanics are not cheats and I am done with your foolishness answer the question or move on.  As for deleting gasses there are a number of options, co2 can be deleted with an air scrubber, you can delete chlorine with a setup involving an ore scrubber, bathrooms and a water bottle transfer station that passes the scrubber. most every gas has one way or another to handle the excess could you be more specific about which gas you are wanting to delete?

2 minutes ago, Kabrute said:

then go play a different game, game mechanics are not cheats and I am done with your foolishness answer the question or move on.  As for deleting gasses there are a number of options, co2 can be deleted with an air scrubber, you can delete chlorine with a setup involving an ore scrubber, bathrooms and a water bottle transfer station that passes the scrubber. most every gas has one way or another to handle the excess could you be more specific about which gas you are wanting to delete?

When I stated my opinion I was not trying to sell it as a fact,  I am very much aware its not a real cheat. But yes I agree if he was more specific about the gas I could offer more advise

And oxygen/polluted oxygen are obviously very effectively deleted by dupes. Hydrogen generator deletes hydrogen obviously so combined with @Kabrute's answer above I think that covers deletion methods for all gases in the game that you'd normally run into without resorting to deliberate deletion with doors.

Besides doors going against a wall there's also option to put the gas into small 1x1 room and then build a tile over it through corner. But that feels like abuse too.

But if you insist on producing more gas than you can use, you're already playing the system. You're not supposed to do that, the goal of the game is to keep things balanced. So I think if you really need to produce e.g. more oxygen than you can use, then abuse to get rid of it is fine.

The only gas that is "hard" to get rid of in the game is probably chlorine. I usually make a small room with a Wort chamber beside it and pump all the chlorine into it, letting the Wort turn it liquid. Unless you let your chlorine geyser go berserk, all the chlorine in the map should fit into just a few tiles of liquid chlorine.

6 hours ago, Kasuha said:

So I think if you really need to produce e.g. more oxygen than you can use, then abuse to get rid of it is fine.

The only gas that is "hard" to get rid of in the game is probably chlorine. I usually make a small room with a Wort chamber beside it and pump all the chlorine into it, letting the Wort turn it liquid.

That's a good idea for chlorine, I did it on accident with a poor airlock between biomes. Maybe some method will be implemented to produce bleach stone with chlorine, or maybe force you to condense it first and mix it with a cultivable soil. I think the potential "burner" update might introduce a good use for excess oxygen.

10 minutes ago, TheScaryOne said:

I think the potential "burner" update might introduce a good use for excess oxygen.

I f*cking hope so, Green bases seem to run the most problem free, but once the whole base has a surplus of oxygen, things start to turn sour real fast.

I build rooms to hold my gasses once I can build plastic and refined metal so I can build high pressure vents.  You can smash 20KG of gas into a room. Make it small enough you can pull a vacuum first.  Then, when you need the gas for something you can pull it out.  My current base is about 40-50% mined. I have a ton of hydrogen at the top of the map, because it doesn't bother me.  But I have very little free chlorine or natural gas in the database.  

Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at February 12, 2018 10.25.57 AM.png

11 minutes ago, old_fantom said:

I build rooms to hold my gasses once I can build plastic and refined metal so I can build high pressure vents.  You can smash 20KG of gas into a room. Make it small enough you can pull a vacuum first.  Then, when you need the gas for something you can pull it out.  My current base is about 40-50% mined. I have a ton of hydrogen at the top of the map, because it doesn't bother me.  But I have very little free chlorine or natural gas in the database.  

You can store even more gas in a tile by using "door compressors". I think somebody wrote around here on the forums that the game won't crash until 200.000 kg/tile. That's a lot of gas. :)

23 minutes ago, Terzsian said:

You can store even more gas in a tile by using "door compressors". I think somebody wrote around here on the forums that the game won't crash until 200.000 kg/tile. That's a lot of gas. :)

Care should be advised around high pressure setups. I've several times have experienced air just getting straight out deleted in a high pressure room..

But this happened to me at over 1200 kg /tile... 

44 minutes ago, SkunkMaster said:

Care should be advised around high pressure setups. I've several times have experienced air just getting straight out deleted in a high pressure room..

But this happened to me at over 1200 kg /tile... 

Vent gas deletion only normally happens when more than 1 gas are present, and they're fighting for the same space in front of the vent - if you have a chamber filled with only one gas - they should never be deleted.

I've also never had a crash from overpressurising rooms - but in fairness I normally try and "use" all my gasses, rather than store them long-term.

I have recently changed how I bug vents which also seems to be much more stable than previous versions - that is to use a full tile (870kg) of crude oil BELOW the vent space, then trickle a couple of kilos onto the surface above the filled tile. This provides a space for the surface oil to displace to, and gives a much cleaner and consistent over pressure. Like this :

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.2ae9f862ef077a530fb9999b049183e8.png

image.thumb.png.7abd65acb1970afe06ac1c8f8e6b1451.png

image.thumb.png.a136e6a90c9daf4de74761fa5b3be40e.png

3 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

Vent gas deletion only normally happens when more than 1 gas are present, and they're fighting for the same space in front of the vent - if you have a chamber filled with only one gas - they should never be deleted.

it was done with airlock compressors. maybe that why

16 hours ago, old_fantom said:

A (Wo)man after my own heart, I have two gas chambers and four liquid ones with walk in air locks and do the exact same, I pump chlorine outside my base though and keep the rest in the chambers, for liquids I have Oil, Petroleum, Water and Polluted Water. 

I keep meaning to get back to it but I am trying to create liquid chambers for Nat gas etc as well for maximum storage!

Archived