Occupational Upgrade Steam Turbine

Update: What implies the "Output blocked" status on the Steam Turbine is the excessive amount of pressure at the top of the machine, therefore you can have as much steam as you want at the bottom that the machine will work just fine while the top part is under the 10kg threshold and without any other type of gas other than steam.

Here's a prototype of workable, stable, non-debug-only steam engine that requires no magma and is fully renewable (except for gold/tungsten/abyssalite used in construction, of course):

oni-steam.thumb.png.a8f07fa7554175b48a9389becf44a234.png

tl;dr The trick is to prime the steam by sacrificing and rebuilding an aquatuner (this doesn't cost anything if you deconstruct it), hence the triple door next to it. The steam engine output is connected to its input.

To those who don't know: open doors don't transmit temperature directly, so building doors like this, then closing and opening the middle one, will create a perfect vacuum lock that transmits no temperature.

Diagonal building can be used to create a vacuum-locked power wire, seen at the top of the screen. Wires don't transfer heat to their neighbors, only to gas/liquid in their tile.

To prime the system:

1. Vacuum out the steam chamber (hence the triple door next to it).
  2. Fill it with exact amount of water that you will need. You need about 7.5 of steam per tile.
  3. Cover the aquatuner with a layer of petroleum over a layer of crude oil. Keep both of them small - about 15kg for each tile.
  4. Connect (by closing the doors) the steam chamber to the aquatuner. Separate steam and aquatuner from the rest of the world (with triple doors)
  5. Run the aquatuner on polluted water until it breaks. The steam in the chamber should be about 250C and the engine should kick in.
  6. Separate aquatuner from steam chamber and connect it to external world.
  7. Deconstruct and reconstruct the aquatuner.
  8. Wait for temperature in steam chamber to drop to ~150C
  9. Disconnect aquatuner from the world, connect back to steam chamber.
  10. Switch it from polluted water to petroleum. Polluted water heats it up too fast and causes it to overheat.
  11. Run aquatuner whenever temperature sensor in steam chamber shows <145C.

The aquatuner will spend most of its time active, so the net gain is "only" 6800W (not counting pumps), but it's stable and doesn't need any inputs other than some minor heat in the petroleum.

I built it in debug mode, but it's all doable without debug. You only need one dupe access during the operation: to rebuild the aquatuner. It's safe for a dupe in a suit.

I think this is broken (well duh) and we simply cannot use it as intended. I'm going to wait with using this until it is patched.

Looks like there is a lot of stuff half or completely not implemented this time round. We are even missing things like a mechanics station for the machine shop. I'd really wait with drawing conclusion about the steam generator. It wouldn't even surprise me if this generator would be brought down to 800W.

3 minutes ago, turbonl64 said:

It wouldn't even surprise me if this generator would be brought down to 800W.

That's what I was expecting it to be: a flat 800ish power generation with a much more forgiving setup.  I was shocked when I saw it generates 8000kw.

If we can keep this generator running by using less than 8kw (with aquatuner, for instance) then this thing needs to be fixed.
I think the correct thing is to it only be usable with lava or to generate A LOT less energy.

3 minutes ago, Alpe12 said:

If we can keep this generator running by using less than 8kw (with aquatuner, for instance) then this thing needs to be fixed.
I think the correct thing is to it only be usable with lava.

If you can't keep it running by using less than 8kw than it would need to be fixed. A generator that nets 0 or less power is stupid of course.

4 minutes ago, donutman07 said:

If you can't keep it running by using less than 8kw than it would need to be fixed. A generator that nets 0 or less power is stupid of course.

But don't break the laws of physics. In a ridiculous way...
The only way this generator is ok is to only being possible to use it with lava.

For those who wants updates on the Steam Turbine machine, here it is:

Now the machine don't need any type of input, you just need to immerse it into steam. Apparently the steam need to be at 3 kg of pressure and at 100 ºC; now the machine only produces 2 kW of power, which I found really fair for what it does, a huge improvement from the previous patch, the "vacuum sucking thingy" is positioned into the machine, making it more aesthetically pleasing, and it doesn't show the "Output blocked" state anymore when the steam is over-pressurized (previously above 10 kg). What I found odd about this new thing is that virtually you can create infinite power; while the machine is running, it keeps utilizing the gas from bottom and pushing it to the top (really like a weezewort), and will continue until the meteor colapse or some ****, I think it need at least a output of water at 96 ºC or something, this output will decrease depending on the current steam temperature, if it's too hot, will be harder for it to cool into the machine, if it's around 110 ºC, will output a lot more and etc.

Well, that's my feedback, I'm open to discussion.

5 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

I don't think the steam component of a Geyser's output is a sufficient volume.  You would need to put just a bit more heat into the water component to vaporize it.

Easily done with a tepidizer or aquatuner though. And yes, you can boil normal water with a tepidizer still.

I made this kind of power plant for steam, the power system is closed, meaning it works with it's own electricity, and the overflow goes to my major system down the way. Open to discussion. I just need to figure out a way to get rid of the polluted oxygen that builds up at the top of the building...5a70889ba6e4e_ONIScreenshot7.thumb.png.5a2afc5ecaf215c02e4fc4da511aa7bc.png

On 27.1.2018 at 5:53 AM, Risu said:

Yet because they forgot to make the gas generators and fertilizer makers not over powered any more, it's never gonna be used. Like the petrol generator. Thankfully we got the smart battery in with a free latch on the logic so the petrol generator is usable.

I'm hoping that they're just waiting until the steam turbine has no more bugs or until they've added more ways to produce heat for it (like nuclear reactors).

7 minutes ago, Michi01 said:

I'm hoping that they're just waiting until the steam turbine has no more bugs or until they've added more ways to produce heat for it (like nuclear reactors).

They actually patched the steam turbine, now, more then viable, it's a good option for energy.

At the moment it is bugged. So it runs as soon as it get enuf steam and it will never stop running. 

If I have understand how it suppose to work is that you have higher pressure blow and it pumps it to the top.

1 minute ago, NanoD said:

At the moment it is bugged. So it runs as soon as it get enuf steam and it will never stop running. 

If I have understand how it suppose to work is that you have higher pressure blow and it pumps it to the top.

Actually it's not bugged, it's unbalanced; what happens is that it keeps blowing the steam without transforming into anything, the same steam quantity that you have at the start will be, virtually, to the rest of the game, what I suggested was adding some sort liquid output that have cooled down steam into hot water, or something similar. I think the next update will be we tomorrow, but we will see.

1 minute ago, pacumos said:

Actually it's not bugged

Um... When it starts. it will never stop running. you can run it in vacuum. not even restating the game will stop it from producing power. Only way it will stop is when you disable it and try to enable it it will stop.

[Game Update] - 252656
Steam turbine now works on a pressure differential and no longer requires water cooling.

for full Game update you can find it here.
https://forums.kleientertainment.com/game-updates/oni-alpha/

Just now, NanoD said:

Um... When it starts. it will never stop running. you can run it in vacuum. not even restating the game will stop it from producing power. Only way it will stop is when you disable it and try to enable it it will stop.

Well, I think I was biased by the environment, but yeah, this is since the last patch, apparently the machine don't update about the surroundings, the steam pressure and temperature (now the steam just needs to be steam to work). What was happening with my tests was the the output was being blocked by polluted oxygen. Whatever. So, unless you want to abuse the game, I don't recommend anyone using it on a "survival" game. And maybe about that thing with vacuum you said before, perhaps it's because you're in debug mode, the game glitches when, for example, you manage the machine to work on a steam environment, then you remove all the steam with cell painter, the game isn't supposed to work this way and will malfunction somehow.

I experimented a big with it and it seems to output the steam at its input temperature (or a temperature that is only a little bit lower), which means that even if it wouldn't produce power forever once it got started, you would be able to loop it back into itself for endless power. Also it seems like the liquid input and output were removed, so maybe they scrapped the idea of making it require a coolant.

1 minute ago, Michi01 said:

I experimented a big with it and it seems to output the steam at its input temperature (or a temperature that is only a little bit lower), which means that even if it wouldn't produce power forever once it got started, you would be able to loop it back into itself for endless power. Also it seems like the liquid input and output were removed, so maybe they scrapped the idea of making it require a coolant.

Yeah, but the idea would be you just have a output, and not a input. The output for the condensed steam that occurs into the machine.

1 minute ago, Michi01 said:

you can try this. shut off the machine. and cover hole machine with steam. Basically steam generator floating in the steam. And try to start the machine. It will say under pressurized. 

In the current version it's mind numbingly easy to get unlimited free power forever in a survival game. Just dig a ladder down. Expose a single magma tile. spill a bit of water on it and you have enough steam to start the generator. You can stack as many as you like on top of each other and resuse the same steam to start any number of generators.

I dare say it's even worse than the first iteration.

Archived