Occupational Upgrade Steam Turbine

7 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

In the current version it's mind numbingly easy to get unlimited free power forever in a survival game. Just dig a ladder down. Expose a single magma tile. spill a bit of water on it and you have enough steam to start the generator. You can stack as many as you like on top of each other and resuse the same steam to start any number of generators.

The problem with current it is so bugged that you even cant try out how it is suppose to work. Because when you have started the machine what ever way you want it will run till they fix that bug. 

Edit: Relized you saying about the same as me...

2 minutes ago, NanoD said:

The problem with current it is so bugged that you even cant try out how it is suppose to work. Because when you have started the machine what ever way you want it will run till they fix that bug.

That's a problem that we've been fighting with since the start of the occupational upgrade, but what's happening is the programming of the machine only take account what and when to start, but not he inflow of liquid. Similar to real turbines, the machine is supposed to only work when there is sufficient pressure flow between the bottom and top, when the flow is in little quantity, it's supposed to generate less power. The machine is incomplete since the start, as stated, and the programming involving it gonna take a while.

Currently the machine is working like a weezewort, what it need to do is take account the pressure beneath it (can be hold with mechanized door for example), then released, and with the velocity the steam is flowing, generate said amount of power to a maximum threshold.

7 minutes ago, pacumos said:

Currently the machine is working like a weezewort, what it need to do is take account the pressure beneath it (can be hold with mechanized door for example), then released, and with the velocity the steam is flowing, generate said amount of power to a maximum threshold.

It needs to actually draw energy from the steam by cooling it down. A liquid output would totally make sense. It would then cool hot steam to a fixed 90°C and run for (X°C - 90°C) * c seconds, where X is the temperature of the sucked in steam and c is a constant.

(edit: this is a rough suggestion of how I think it would/could work and not descriptive)

1 minute ago, clickrush said:

It needs to actually draw energy from the steam by cooling it down. A liquid output would totally make sense. It would then cool hot steam to a fixed 90°C and run for (X°C - 90°C) * c seconds, where X is the temperature of the sucked in steam and c is a constant.

You, I like you.

6 minutes ago, clickrush said:

Even if it is fixed there is a thing that I think needs to be balanced out. It shouldn't make Aquatuners self powering. It would be nice if it makes a steam generating Aquatuner more efficient but it would be a bummer if it made it free.

It shouldn't be able to run on steam generated by aquatuners or tepidizers at all. The requirement for 200C before was ok as that meant you could only use magma to make it run.

5 minutes ago, pacumos said:

It should consume a fixed amount of steam, eg. 2kg/s at 200C or more and output condensed water by the same amount at the same temperature as a geyser, I thinks 95C.

That would mean it would take half a geysers worth of water you'd need to steam with magma.

Just now, Saturnus said:

It shouldn't be able to run on steam generated by aquatuners or tepidizers at all. The requirement for 200C before was ok as that meant you could only use magma to make it run.

I disagree here. Just make it so it runs longer for point above 90°C and balance it so it doesn't self power Aquatuners and Tepidizers but helps them with efficiency. Then you can still use magma to produce way more power.

3 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Yeah think your ides is great. Only thing needed is a temp sensor that can handle a temp over 200C.

10 minutes ago, NanoD said:

Yeah think your ides is great. Only thing needed is a temp sensor that can handle a temp over 200C.

There is the modpack :D But you really only need to know it's over 200C... or say 180C so you have a bit of working room.

The other option is to make a 244C sensor by dropping some phosphorite in a small gap with a hydrosensor. The phosphorite becomes liquid phosphorous at 244C and will trigger the hydrosensor.

1 minute ago, Saturnus said:

The is the modpack :D But you really only need to know it's over 200C... or say 180C so you have a bit of working room.

The other option is to make a 244C sensor by drop some phosphorite in a small gap with a hydrosensor. The phosphorite becomes liquid phosphorous at 244C and will trigger the hydrosensor.

I want a high temperature sensor that can go up to 2k C :p , that is what the game needs. More high temp stuff. I want to be able to pump lava. I want to melt down dupes. 

1 minute ago, NanoD said:

I want a high temperature sensor that can go up to 2k C :p , that is what the game needs. More high temp stuff. I want to be able to pump lava. I want to melt down dupes. 

Same concept as above just other materials :D

54 minutes ago, Michi01 said:

I experimented a big with it and it seems to output the steam at its input temperature (or a temperature that is only a little bit lower), which means that even if it wouldn't produce power forever once it got started, you would be able to loop it back into itself for endless power. Also it seems like the liquid input and output were removed, so maybe they scrapped the idea of making it require a coolant.

We're more likely to see it requires an electrical engineer, power generator station, and room, ...with the expending of precious metals in order to function. I wouldn't doubt it since room requirements exist for several other building - they're just not testing the condition yet. 

Another thing that pisses me off is the ability to pressurize gasses and liquids; I mean, those are supposed to heat up in said pressurized space and I don't see it happening anywhere in the game. I don't know the current state of optimization, but it can be implemented taking account of the current kg/tile and the subsequent and into how much time it got that newer pressure, adding the Kelvins needed. With this feature, the mechanized doors should need energy to work and etc...

6 minutes ago, pacumos said:

Another thing that pisses me off is the ability to pressurize gasses and liquids; I mean, those are supposed to heat up in said pressurized space and I don't see it happening anywhere in the game. I don't know the current state of optimization, but it can be implemented taking account of the current kg/tile and the subsequent and into how much time it got that newer pressure, adding the Kelvins needed. With this feature, the mechanized doors should need energy to work and etc...

Then sublimation of polluted water will need to go away as you'll otherwise see the slime biomes become superheated pretty fast.

10 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Then sublimation of polluted water will need to go away as you'll otherwise see the slime biomes become superheated pretty fast.

Actually the volatility of said liquid is limited by it's pressure. In terms of games. On real life, if stored on a container, it just explodes, but let's not over-complicate it.

What I forgot to mention is that when the pressure rapidly increases, the temperature will also increase, then the surroundings will get all those heat transferred and spreading it all over the place, making it reach equilibrium. Otherwise, when the fluid is expanded really fast (like decompressing a liquid), it decreases the temperature, and depending on the conditions, may also change it's state of mater (like on antiperspirants), creating some options for future mechanisms.

I really would like to know form the designers what the intent of the steam turbine is. I tried to rewatch the preview stream but they unfortunately didn't get to that part.

It is in the "renewable energy" research focus.

But is it supposed to be infinitely scalable? That would be quite frankly wrong in terms of balance design. The thread here has multiple suggestions for how we think it should work, as the consensus seems to be that it should draw thermal energy from the steam to prevent infinite scalability.

Archived