Occupational Upgrade Steam Turbine

I agree with you. What I proposed was more kind of personal preference somehow. Idk. I think we need to see what people will do when the upgrade finally launches and see if it can get more exploitable or "too much op" when how it's supposed to work.

What I think too is how little you need to make for it to work, providing exorbitant amount of power.

So after doing a bit of tinkering, I think I've got a slightly better understanding of the steam turbine now :D

Firstly I've found that instead of trying to completely surround the turbine with steam, a single tile space "bubble" of steam underneath is far more effective in terms of continued uptime (without "under pressurised" warnings popping up occasionally).

The "fan" section base of the turbine acts like airflow tiles, so liquids are caught/trapped by them, but gasses can pass through - this makes it easy to catch a bubble of steam in one of the 3 central tiles, as the turbine itself is 5 wide. I.e. steam in one/all of the central 3 tiles, with ready to boil/condensed water either side trapping it. Easy way to localise your "boil here spot" is with a conductive bridge or two in those central tiles.

image.thumb.png.4208f9d2535db2a174336ae058b7e5f6.png

So you can see the conductive bridge and it's temperature 

image.thumb.png.3749f51b5386d9504bcb86174c46ccb3.png

Building them modular individually is obviously much more stable in terms of keeping your water/steam at a nice balance of temperature, however one tepedizer can output enough heat for multiple steam turbines, like this : 

image.thumb.png.bf654a35299966973125ddd8bc7d64e6.png

I have been tinkering with a tower build, however as yet I've not managed to make one that is stable, and they often under pressurise temporarily, and are somewhat intermittent - which I'm not a fan of...

image.thumb.png.c22f1bbdd29617efc4d0f4bd09b46078.png

Most of my builds so far have been relying on the tepedizer, however i'm aware that the aquatuner may be a better option, but as it's a bit buggy at the moment I've been avoiding it. I'm trying to avoid using magma as I much prefer the idea of having these right in the middle of my base :p 

Hope this helps some of you who are still a bit baffled by these - obviously this is pre-release tinkering, so it could all change very soon.

Also made a little vid for the first modular build I was faffing with - just so you can see how it works :

Appreciate your work and effort, a really smart and compact design you made.

Just one thing I want to mention is that final quote on the video "I don't know if anyone else has posted something like this, because honestly I'm a bit behind on the forums", comes here "Well, a five page tread just about this", I just found that a bit funny...

Anyways, nice work, honestly I'm sure you contributed a lot and your knowledge will get in good use here.

Here is a Design of my Steam Machine.

It works with polluted and normal water to create steam.

If using polluted water, the produced dirt is picked up and moved to the container. So this machine produce lots of clean water and dirt.

If the clean water is getting full it switch using clean water for the steam until it drops down, it switch back to polluted water. 

The greatest task was not to overheat the pickup arm allowing only 125 C Degres.

It has several failsafe settings for the moment and it seem working well.

The steam is cooled by this heatsink. No dube can enter this so everything inside is moved outside by automation conveyor system.

steam.jpg

1 hour ago, pacumos said:

Appreciate your work and effort, a really smart and compact design you made.

Just one thing I want to mention is that final quote on the video "I don't know if anyone else has posted something like this, because honestly I'm a bit behind on the forums", comes here "Well, a five page tread just about this", I just found that a bit funny...

Anyways, nice work, honestly I'm sure you contributed a lot and your knowledge will get in good use here.

Honestly, i'd stayed off the forums because I hadn't played the pre-release until like yesterday, and as every thread was about content I hadn't tinkered with yet, I had nothing to contribute.

As ever, most of the theory-crafting may well go out of the window with one quick hotfix (i.e. tepedizer fix, aquatuner fix, etc) - so this was more just to help people that are struggling right now.

I have a couple of other builds i'm tinkering with, but I'm due to stream shortly so they may have to wait until tomorrow. I'll post my tinkerings if I get them working properly ;) 

@Lifegrow Your setup is very clean and showcases well how the turbines work.

I personally had a little trouble building mine, as I first didn't know that the environment of the turbines has to be clean of non-steam gases for them to work properly and I use it to boil polluted water. I ended up firing up debug mode because I just didn't have the patience to deconstruct stuff and then get rid of the PO2, so I created a vacuum with the painter.

So the way you need to prime a turbine system that boils PO2 is that you first create a vacuum, then you use clean water until your system is pressurized with steam. After that you can start boiling polluted water as it will not sublimate in pressurized rooms. The doors at the bottom are a failsafe, in case there isn't enough pressure to prevent sublimation.

My setup doesn't run continuously though, but as there is no steam buildup on the bottom, I assume that it just doesn't have the heat and polluted water throughput necessary. The aquatuners are cooling my cool water tank and the sleet wheat irrigation.

(ignore the turbine on the right side, the working part is only the column in the middle):

20180205212039_1.thumb.jpg.38cc1d501677d617c4cfe974c6f42d37.jpg

12 minutes ago, clickrush said:

So the way you need to prime a turbine system that boils PO2 is that you first create a vacuum, then you use clean water until your system is pressurized with steam. After that you can start boiling polluted water as it will not sublimate in pressurized rooms. The doors at the bottom are a failsafe, in case there isn't enough pressure to prevent sublimation.

You can also make a steamer that can't sublimate PO2 from PW like this

Using the fact that PW can only sublimate up.

image.thumb.png.90f25e80a3a4b208ab33abfc23c09e13.png

9 hours ago, pacumos said:

I think we need to see what people will do when the upgrade finally launches and see if it can get more exploitable or "too much op" when how it's supposed to work.

I actually have a setup that'd be quite 'OP', however it takes almost 200 cycles and several tonnes of resources (and power, ~200+ tonnes of coal) to build and heat, so it's not exactly OP after all...

I'll probably not show pictures of it just yet until its running...

30 minutes ago, Paul17041993 said:

I actually have a setup that'd be quite 'OP', however it takes almost 200 cycles and several tonnes of resources (and power, ~200+ tonnes of coal) to build and heat, so it's not exactly OP after all...

I'll probably not show pictures of it just yet until its running...

They launched a Hotfix, oh boy, rethink what you constructed on your mind about Steam Turbine. I don't know exactly what they did, but I think it's on the right way.

5 minutes ago, pacumos said:

They launched a Hotfix, oh boy, rethink what you constructed on your mind about Steam Turbine. I don't know exactly what they did, but I think it's on the right way.

Well, right now it consumes 5kg/s steam. Or should I say, it deletes it as it has no output. So it deletes more than a geyser worth of steam for negligible amount of power compared to alternatives.  

37 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Well, right now it consumes 5kg/s steam. Or should I say, it deletes it as it has no output. So it deletes more than a geyser worth of steam for negligible amount of power compared to alternatives.  

Wait, is this since the hotfix? I've never lost any steam in a turbine room....

*edit* well bugger me, all my turbine builds are broken.... no tooltip update though. Where did you get 5kg/s from @Saturnus ?

*more editing* mines consuming nowhere near 5kg/s so i'm confused :? 

It's making something more complex, sometimes it outputs steam to the top, as usual, perhaps with temperature difference; the point is, I think they're taking the right direction on softening stackability.

Although it seems like they don't stop consuming steam even when it's on "Under-pressurized" state.

it... doesn't seem affected actually, I'll just have to let it sit for a while...

Just now, Lifegrow said:

Just a heads up - steam has never tended to play well with compression... 

in what way though? haven't had much of an issue so far...

@clickrush Wow. It literally NEVER occurred to me that I could put more than 1 transformer on a circuit! *facepalm* @Saturnus As @Zarquan said, I was making the assumption that the circuit checked once per second (i.e. 1KW= 1KJ/s).

I got used to the batteries having to be after the transformers in the previous build, so I didn't run into that being a problem. I usually end up with a freaky power grid snaking all over the map, pooling generating next to the resource, and the giant battery room above the base where most of the heat bleeds "up" out of my way. It makes cooling the generators a ***** (I am guilty of melting the Ice Biomes most of the time) but it makes it easier for me to isolate the base from heat and deadly gasses. I rush up the research tree to insulated tiles as fast as possible, insulate my farm 1st, then the outer walls, then I expand my base by adding outer layers of insulation and removing the inner layer to make the "rooms" bigger, moving equipment as needed. It's very time consuming, but it makes a huge difference in the amount of cooling I need later. I put the manual generators on their own floor at the top of the base and run cooling pipes stacked tightly together through the whole room. I found that I could use the Ice Sculptures to get a (relatively) quick source of really cold water to feed the system, or use polluted ice in compactors next to the batteries to get cold polluted water if I needed all of the fresh water for something else.

Can you put the steam turbine on top of a steam geyser, or does it break it?

1 hour ago, n37runn3r said:

@ZarquanCan you put the steam turbine on top of a steam geyser, or does it break it?

probably, but if you put it right onto the geyser it'd put the steam over the top part of the turbine I think?

Anyone know if the output of the steam geysers got increased at all though?

Wait are you guys for real? It actually consumes steam now?

I'am almost certain that this might be a bug. It would be extremely counterintuitive if a steam turbine deleted steam. But it is very likely that someone messed up something in the algorithm that handles the pressure differential stuff or the I/O in general, especially since there wasn't a mechanic that uses similar logic as the turbine.

2 minutes ago, clickrush said:

Wait are you guys for real? It actually consumes steam now?

I'am almost certain that this might be a bug. It would be extremely counterintuitive if a steam turbine deleted steam. But it is very likely that someone messed up something in the algorithm that handles the pressure differential stuff or the I/O in general, especially since there wasn't a mechanic that uses similar logic as the turbine.

I'd say it's temporary, they might be planning to add a hot water output to it, but didn't get to it in this particular build. Or they simply added an extra 0 by mistake or something...

51 minutes ago, NanoD said:

There is a bug and have been from the start. Anyways now it is more relevant.

The one on the left consumes 5 kg/s and the right consumes 1 kg/s.

But they probably will fix that sooner or later. 

C38F3C6014E1FCF6EFB81B3FFB74F7DDD819B0D6

Very interesting. However, even at 1000g/s it's less power efficient in water use than fertilizer synths, and it has no positive mass feedback loop as the fertilizer synths and natural gas generators have, so ultimately it's wasted water.

6 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

Mine consumed no steam for ages, I was feeding it 500g/s of water just to see what happened - my central steam bubble reached ~2500kg and then *poof* it vanished in 2 seconds.... 

I am very, very confused.

This has nothing to do with steamgens. There is a bug in-game, where if any airtile reaches a certain, VERY HIGH, pressure, the gas will just vanish. This bug is what is currently holding me from using airlock compressors.

Archived