Occupational Upgrade Steam Turbine

Since I've struggled to get the Steam Turbine up and running, I decided to make a little overall view of how it works.

So basically you have an input of liquid and a output, those works kinda similar to the coolant requirement of the metal refinery, you input cold liquid and it becomes hotter. The machine needs to be off the ground, the base and the sides need to be in contact with steam, if not it will display the "Output blocked" message. The steam pressure needs to be above 5kg and 200ºC, otherwise it will display "Under-pressurized" message. When the pressure exceeds 10kg, the build will display the "Output blocked" message since it's too much pressure for the machine to output.

At my test world I managed it to get running and after the steam cooled the machine didn't stopped working, creating a huge radiator matching the temperature of the input which was water around -5ºC, cooling everything around and creating snow. There is code and a resemblance on appearance, I really think there should be a radiator sort of thing, it's pretty useful for cooling steam, for exemple.

16 minutes ago, pacumos said:

At my test world I managed it to get running and after the steam cooled the machine didn't stopped working, creating a huge radiator matching the temperature of the input which was water around -5ºC, cooling everything around and creating snow. There is code and a resemblance on appearance, I really think there should be a radiator sort of thing, it's pretty useful for cooling steam, for exemple.

As I've reported in bug report, once the machine is running partically nothing you do to it will make it stop running. Reduce the room to a vacuum has no effect. Freezing hydrogen at -250C has no effect. Only a save and reload will stop it.

10 minutes ago, Craftcoat said:

Dammit... sounds like its a Lava only thing...

Or maybe metal refinery generated steam but I'm not sure about that yet.

19 minutes ago, Craftcoat said:

Dammit... sounds like its a Lava only thing...

It's easy to create steam with aquatuners for example, the most difficult part is to increase it's temperature to 200ºC, or they make something that have more overheating capacity, or reduce the necessary temperature and power output, if it's not intended to be a rare luxury that needs extravagant machinery and resources.

6 minutes ago, pacumos said:

It's easy to create steam with aquatuners for example, the most difficult part is to increase it's temperature to 200ºC, or they make something that have more overheating capacity, or reduce the necessary temperature and power output, if it's not intended to be a rare luxury that needs extravagant machinery and resources.

With 8KW power output it probably should be pretty advanced to get working.

9 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Yeah, I was thinking of reducing this too, I mean, every new upgrade that involves a brand new power generation thing they increase the power output, I believe they need to down a bit and "think little" and about what can "we" make redundant and keep things more different about the progression of the base. It would be neat if there were a renewable power source but in smaller scale, one that would differ bases and make us think "uh, that's a clean an technological base", "holy ****, is this cyber punk?", or "i like that, cozy and functional, keep things simple and enlightened". 

As long as we have machines like the natural gas generator that break the fundamental mass conservation rule, ie. it outputs a combined 150g worth of mass for every 60g put into it, while at the same time generating energy I think all expectation of sanity in the game is unfounded :D

6 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

As long as we have machines like the natural gas generator that break the fundamental mass conservation rule, ie. it outputs a combined 150g worth of mass for every 60g put into it, while at the same time generating energy I think all expectation of sanity in the game is unfounded :D

In respect of what you said, but the "sanity" in question relates to the mechanical and "scientific" subjects, but those have no relation to the overall experience as far as you enjoy tinkering with them, at the end of all it's a game, but what grind my gears sometimes is the focus on machinery and forgetting what makes fictional colonies different, they vary in style; I don't know if it's planed to be added, but yeah, just my thoughts.

You can loop the turbine output to the input. Then it seems to lose heat much slower.

From what I can tell, it seems to vacuum up steam from below and release it above. That means you can separate input steam from output steam (I don't see why would anyone want that, though).

They need to fix the thing so it's more intuitive. With an input and output one assumes you put steam in and get water out or put water in and get steam out or some combo. At least have the description say (this thing needs to sit in steam).  I understand it's a preview release though and is probably far from done. I still can't get it to function with 5kg steam at over 200C floating in the air.

Yo, I made this setup attached at the bottom.

The cell painter have the configurations I utilized on the chamber with the fill function.

The input is water at 5ºC (I don't know if it influences on something) and the output goes to the chamber at the left.

As our friend @Coolthulhu said, the current version has a bug that you can loop the water into itself so you don't need to pump more liquid.

Once you get it running, it don't stops unless you reload the save or break the machine and build another.

ONI Screenshot 3.png

Update: The sides don't need to be necessarily open, the top don't need to be in the range of 5-10kg of steam and it will update and stop running if something occurs with the water input/output.

10 hours ago, Saturnus said:

I run a small colony (8 dupes) with a small footprint, so I subsist on a fraction of this.  Are people really building such monstrous bases that they need this kind of power generation?  Or is this a sign of power hungry machines to come?

My base energy needs are above the 8KW threshold. But i didnt try to employ the turbine for it yet. NG-Generators are just fine for the moment.

Since one of my main problems at the moment is heat, i am not sure whether i want to create a steamroom.

The walkable part of the steam generator creates a room divider. Need a room of input steam below it and it dumps out the colder steam above it. The piping on it is just coolant.

Yet because they forgot to make the gas generators and fertilizer makers not over powered any more, it's never gonna be used. Like the petrol generator. Thankfully we got the smart battery in with a free latch on the logic so the petrol generator is usable.

I've made recent searching on the Steam Turbine.

Apparently you can work with just the bottom part of the building, the bottom, when it's with sufficient pressure and temperature it works just fine as shown here.

5a6c6bdfccb45_ONIScreenshot4.thumb.png.ac966f759902cf744d9b6d2b117d5cda.png

And when it depletes all the steam, again, it don't stop working and cools the steam enough to condensate it, at least if your input liquid is cold enough. It sucks just the bottom part, and not the side ones apparently.

5a6c6c4bb206b_ONIScreenshot5.thumb.png.47ed7e377e1198552b389929e80d8c0f.png

The liquid input interfere on how it works, tests have shown that when the input is too hot, the steam pass thru the build and deposits at the top.

5a6c6cd517126_ONIScreenshot6.thumb.png.0b7018c0c86dd0ef2d524c84c32031d4.png

I wish this thing just took steam as a gas input and output 70 degress liquid water or something.

With a lack of heating equipment it's either magma or position one above a dry stream geyser in abysalite. Then you just have basically just made steam geysers in to better natural gas geysers.

If the steam turbine took a gas input it would be a good time to adjust materials for pumps to have a metal that has a higher overheating temperature. Also lift the overheat temperature on something like the tepidizer and space heater to let us explore and play with the hot end of the spectrum. We already have full access to the cold end why not unleash us in to the heat.

10 minutes ago, Moggles said:

Then you just have basically just made steam geysers in to better natural gas geysers.

You can use the steam that passed through the turbine as you normally would. Just got an extra step in there.

6 minutes ago, Moggles said:

why not unleash us in to the heat.

I think it's because we don't have a viable way of removing heat from the environment, you have the anti-termal nulifier thing but that's a machine; I think we should have some more natural formations or materials that have low temperatures taxes. I thought about liquid nitrogen occurring at the ice biome, or making a Cryogenic cooler that makes liquid nitrogen and transfer the heat between tiles to the opposite side, and with the liquid being utilized too cool machines or being carried around with a portable cooler, cooling overheat machines or new tipes of machines.

The question would be "is nitrogen gas renewable", into real life it occurs naturally on the air that you breath, roughly 77%, but at the game, oxygen is just oxygen, then implementing some sort of "Liquid nitrogen geyser" would be handy. That would create pressure near the end, since the ice biome is a lot hotter for the liquid nitrogen to occur, the nitrogen would transform itself into a gas colder then the surroundings, cooling the area.

15 minutes ago, Moggles said:

If the steam turbine took a gas input it would be a good time to adjust materials for pumps to have a metal that has a higher overheating temperature. Also lift the overheat temperature on something like the tepidizer and space heater to let us explore and play with the hot end of the spectrum. We already have full access to the cold end why not unleash us in to the heat.

If I'm not mistaken, steel greatly increases the overheat temperature of buildings.  There's no guarantee this will be the case if and when steel is finally implemented, but smelting may be just what the doctor ordered.

5 minutes ago, Risu said:

You can use the steam that passed through the turbine as you normally would. Just got an extra step in there.

Yeah, I mean, that steam passing through only happens if the liquid input is too hot, keeping more of the heat inside the machine, vaporizing the surroundings humidity or some ****.

Archived