Opinions on the forge update

Would be nice to have servers restricted by experience level - simply naming a server "Level 20+ Only" does nothing.  Right now, our options are limited to either:

• password-secured servers with a small number of people we personally know plus needing microphones and voice chat
  • public servers with a random group of strangers of different experience levels, some of whom have never played before but listen and learn, some with no experience but a natural knack for one of the roles, some who will quit in the opening rounds of the match, and some who despite their experience somehow can't grasp the idea that the player with the healing staff should heal the team (and I don't mean swarmed by too many mobs to cast, either; I mean they really don't get it).  Oh, and don't forget needing to hurriedly type messages during the heat of battle.

With just those two extremes, there's no other option for anyone who knows what they're doing and wants to consistently find competent teams.  I'd like something in between, like level-restricted servers or Steam group servers.

It would also be nice to filter servers by language, too.  Or for the game to remember your filter settings so that all future listings will use them until they're changed.  Why should I have to click on the filters tab to un-list full servers and password-protected servers every single time?

I really like The Forge.

It would be nice to be able to make it so that you can choose what the minimun level is in order for people to be able to join.

I think it is a little bit sad that we don't get a special item when you defeat the boss.

Its fun. A few things still feel unfinished and there were some bugs awhile I was playing.

Chat is fairly basic providing the bare minimum required to communicate. I would not mind some call outs I could use with a hotkey. Even then simple text doesn't seem to always work as someone taking a mental break could easily miss repeated calls of action by their party. Another way would be to do what portal co-op did. Where you can look at a wall and place a clearly identifiable object somewhere to get your attention and perhaps to do something. For example, lets say your team mate is knocked out and you really want Wilson to revive them. But they are having trouble noticing their party member is down. The downed party member could place some glowing icon near them showing Wilson where they are and what they want them to do.

Some characters do seem just better than other characters. Namely Maxwell. He doesn't really bring anything to the table that someone else can't already do better. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Not every character has to be easy mode. But I really just don't feel like playing Maxwell. Maybe its because his perks don't feel all that interesting. And even worse is how you can't even really use his shadow perk until late game when you get a fire staff. And that is only if your team decides not to steal it from you. Ever play from start to finish with just your starting book? Yea its not very fun.

I also really don't like how reviving and picking up items are on the same key but that is a small issue.

Anyway to end this without spending too much time. This is just what I came up with in a moments notice. I'm sure I could add more but I do enjoy the event.

Edit: We need a gesture wheel or something to remember all the chat commands.

inventory is horrible:

owner and survivor filters save for each character and slot, means you need to click 4 times per char and you have 11 of them (and filters are on by default)

chest opening is clickfest too - made me not enjoy opening beta chests

item scrolling on char before choosing has 2 problems: first, it's as bad as before: you only see current item that you picked and (i think) it's not cycled and order is unclear (some forge items were apart with regular ones in hand slot for me), second: you pick your skin before game tell everyone else which char you picked, causing even more miscommunication and all of those make me not want to pick skins unless we're waiting for more people

gameplaywise: it's great, i really enjoy it

making boarior ignore blossoms was a nice touch (and also caused already more party wipes than paladins)

though, i'd like to be able to deny a power attack, i know it'll cause troubles, but parties lack communications and lag exists

@zzKratoszz, maxwell's is good, having extra stun is nice, staff is mid game

21 hours ago, brbrmensch said:

chest opening is clickfest too - made me not enjoy opening beta chests

I thought the same thing. But what I later found out is you can also open chests with your keyboard (enter key) and its not nearly as painful. Just make sure your mouse is hovering over the open button.

It's really cool! But I agree it needs a kick option. I still didn't find a game free of trolls. there is always minimum 1 player who won't cooperate with the rest of the team, sometimes taking all items when they don't need it, or keep attacking enemies when we need to heal up and let them sleep and end up killing us all.

I came back to DST thanks to this mode, since I always had to play alone for the lag problems on regular servers and I don't have friends to keep a game going. It's really nice to be able to join and coop with random players, but it gets frustrating when these things happen.

Since in the forge, kicking a player is not convenient for the players I don't think the griefers problem would be a thing, and would only be used when there is a clear troll in the group.

ALSO a quickchat would be perfect, since everything goes so fast and most of the time there is no time to type with no risk. I normally play as healer, and at times I struggle to run away from the aggro of a few monsters and it would be perfect if I could communicate as I run :(

1 hour ago, mochilo said:

It's really cool! But I agree it needs a kick option. I still didn't find a game free of trolls. there is always minimum 1 player who won't cooperate with the rest of the team, sometimes taking all items when they don't need it, or keep attacking enemies when we need to heal up and let them sleep and end up killing us all.

troll? you mean newb?

Archived