Should the "Don't mention the names of griefers" rule be changed?

Please read the thread first  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What action should be taken?

• Add a game-ban and let everyone report and discuss publicly.
    • Add a game-ban but only allow OP and Klei Staff discuss privately.
    • Don't add a game ban.
  2. 2. If this suggestion happens, do you think we would need more staff?

• Yes, open moderator recruitment and let volunteers help.
    • Yes, but Klei should choose.
    • No, but the staff should be more active.
    • No, the staff team is fine.

I want this discussion to be as civil as possible, the rule still hasn't changed, so discuss this but don't mention anybody in specific, not even hint it. You can use words for the general group instead (I.E: Griefer, Troll, Etc.)

So very often we get people requesting other people banned, and I understand that they do out of frustation, this however is against the forums' rules.

I have been thinking about this for a bit.

While sure, we have the option to ban people, we are banning them from our server.

It's pretty obvious that when they get banned because they knew they were going to they will go to another place to grief.

The thing is, the way Don't Starve Together works, almost everything matters. Time is important. Every single resource is important. The lives of everybody is important.

And a part of the game is cooperative, which is actually the biggest part of Don't Starve Together.

When a person griefs a server, the griefed players may have one or more newbies, a lot of hard time and effort spent into it, and so on.

And while sure, they are paying for the game, in the case of a PvE social/cooperative server or something you're just ruining people's experiences, for people that also paid for the game.

And for a lot of games you get banned for cheating (Hacking or being a scriptkiddy) even when you paid for it.

I do personally think griefers should be banned game-wide, so the catastrophe wouldn't have to repeat.

However, for it to be applied I believe the proof should be:

• Video footage.
  • The steam profile of the person is viewed in-game.
  • No cuts or editing.

But then... "What if my little brother gets in and gets my account banned?"

This option has existed for a while: http://store.steampowered.com/parental/set

I feel like that if this idea gets accepted, perhaps we would get a sub-forum where only the OP and mods and ahead can see, or just a public forum for it so other players could show if they have experienced the same problem.

It's really easy to make someone falsely banned if you don't show the steam id in-game.

I have seen it happend twice or maybe even three times against different players on a different game.

One of them being against a top donator and another one against someone else who also happends to be a donator.

Both were reported for using slurs if I am not mistaken. They were not banned because everyone who knew the players also knew that they would never do such a thing. I don't remember what the evidence used but I think it was only screenshots. The server had maybe 15 players on and many of them was players who visited the server frequently so it wasn't hard to ask the players on the servers.

Voteban might be a good thing to have on Klei servers but it should only ban the player from that server and not other klei servers for maybe 1 day?

One good thing for Klei would if they could see if someone is trying to voteban multiple people in a short amount of time.

The best option would be to have a place here on the forums where people can report players and that they must have evidence. Don't forget that the video should also have good quality so that you can see the url without having any problems.

Not sure if I forgot something, might remember later if I did.

The big problem is that Klei would need MANY people to take a look at the videos because it can take a lot of time to watch them.

This is what I don't understand: there are known - VERY known - griefers, like Couds (already this chap's general name and preference for cloud avatars in his bot griefing profiles is more like a whole category or type of griefer/troll, the most virulent one), that do what they do (griefing and general trolling) for literally YEARS (even since DST beta), Clouds being well documented and such... yet are we suppose to "not name and shame", ignore and perpetuate this ignoring attitude, Klei included, just because.. what?! Hoping it will get better over time? That the trolls will just... fade away? (Oh, poor people themselves, had a bad life period that will end and will emerge as beautiful butterflies of hope and helpful future conduct?!) What in all holy's name can excuse not dealing with the likes of him and others (S.atanSenpai, Cheeky-Milky-Spider, Bunnyash - the trio famous for restarting servers/troll voting) that all they seem to do is just trolling on pubs? What message does this send to people? "Play on public servers and get burned fur sure noob, is your fault for doing so when we (self-appointed) pros know only private servers are the ones you should go for"?! Really?! How am I suppose to meet people (and I've met some very nice friends over time) and have casual fun.. you know, the best part of TOGETHER, if I can't do that - aka meet new people, see what happens with always-changing human factor (that's NOT trolling/griefing)?!

Thus yeah, I for one am for naming-and-shaming IF evidence is provided. This is not a competitive game by nature so the "falsely banned" out of petty revenge or so will be kept to a minimum. Also admins can see game and chat logs, one has to just provide a Klei ID (from chat logs) to track a suspected troll/griefer. And get him/her banned if they do so over and over again (as it happens on DST Klei official servers). And/or make a vote-reputation or the like, karma, system that can track offenders via reports. If a "wonderful fuzzball of joy and good will" gets 50-100 individual/unique reports it sure isn't because "falsely accused" - and then ban periods can be issued: let's say 1h for first offense, then 1 day, 1 week after and, if they still go at it (again, like the Clouds chap), perma-ban and that's it. One thing is for sure: more and more griefers begin to plague this otherwise very nice game and the insanity must be dealt with.

Honestly this is one of those can of worms that, once opened, jumps out of its can to open all the cans of worms. People start flinging accusations, people start trying to get other people banned outta spite, and it really never ends. There is some crazy people out there who stop at nothing to ruin some random persons day over the internet. This is one of those cases where the very tool you use to combat someone can be turned around and used on you by the people you are trying to stop. Right now they can only burn your base, better that than spread lies about you to try to get you banned.

I like the idea of giving trusted members authority to check evidence of players that should be banned (not necesarily permaban, but banned from browsing servers for a while at least) but 1) it's kind of a burden for klei to find and prepare these people, we dont even know if they will help for long and 2) not everyone records their games .

What I believe should be done is to improvise the vote kick system so griefers/trolls cant evade it by disconnecting from the server and depending on his/her history (warnings and/or previous kicks and/or bans) he could be banned from the server or server browsing for x hours/days/etc.

With this system, this idea of shaming/accusing wouldn't be necesary, hey, it even could be implemented an ingame report system.

21 minutes ago, DelroyBM said:

With this system, this idea of shaming/accusing wouldn't be necesary, hey, it even could be implemented an ingame report system.

Transformice has a neat report system that shows you the complete match as an spectator and you would describe the problem while the reported player is highlighted.

Implementing this along with a timer of "How much time has passed since the problem?" button due to DST gameplay-length would be an extremelly great reporting system.

1 hour ago, xxVERSUSxy said:

let's say 1h for first offense, then 1 day, 1 week after and, if they still go at it (again, like the Clouds chap), perma-ban and that's it.

I feel like it should be: 8 Hours, 2 Days, 1 Week and Perma-ban.

Or 4 hours, 1 hour is too little for such an offense since it would eventually pass by going on with a normal activity without even bothering the griefer.

5 hours ago, Residays said:

The thing is, the way Don't Starve Together works, almost everything matters. Time is important. Every single resource is important. The lives of everybody is important.

No, it isn't. What is important is your experience with the game. These don't necessarily have to be the points for one to enjoy the game. If the way you enjoy the game is managing everything, go ahead. I personally hate that, and hate that the game has went in this direction, but I can still try and get the experience I want. The bias of wanting global banning within the game itself means you basically want people to play the game globally the way you play it. This is ridiculous, you should be able to play the game like you want without being afraid of being banned from playing the game itself, especially if you hold a legitimate copy of it, considering how it's set up for that.

Also, your second question's answers on the poll is biased, there's no option for not increasing moderation or any of the sort. I certainly don't think there needs to be more moderation, I think there needs to be more AUTOmation within the game, but not in regards to banning, but more on the griefing prevention end.

Btw, having a global ban could leeway into false accusations; for instance, two friends playing on a private server to have ****s and giggles and have one of them record the whole thing, involving one of them possibly burning down stuff, could then turn out to have one falsely report the other because of some falling out later on.

Just gonna give my two cents...

While I do think there should be some sort of system that is actually effective at it's job to prevent players from griefing and vote kicking/rollback/regen rather than the current system, I do think that a perma ban is a littttle to extreme. I mean, with Couds case, I do agree that he should get a punishment for all the things xxVERSUSxy mention, but mainly because it's obvious that Couds (and people like him) have nothing better to do than to ruin everyone's day.

I mean, we all have, at one point, met a Webber/Willow who have done nothing but greifing within their 10 hours of DST. I don't think there should be a perma ban for "burning a random forest on day 5 for the 8th time" would be fair, considering the other times they were "banned" just a few hours and maybe a week and all of a sudden, you can't play a game you just got because of you "screwing around". using that way too loosely

Maybe gradually increasing the time to the point where it's a year+ would be more effective if all you're doing is JUST greifing (proven with solid evidence, of course). As for vote kicking/rollback/regen spam with bots, it should be more strict to where a perma ban would feel just; Since theres a huge difference between some dumb Webber who burnt some random base with a firepit and some chests on day 5 than a dedicated Jerk who uses bots to vote kick/regen day 200 servers and doesn't do anything else in DST.

Although Klei should prob just make a team dedicated to going through complaints rather then divide the the team just to keep some greifers out (Assuming most people would rather perfer to have new content faster over banning some guy who just did some shady things).

3 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

If the way you enjoy the game is managing everything, go ahead. I personally hate that, and hate that the game has went in this direction, but I can still try and get the experience I want. The bias of wanting global banning within the game itself means you basically want people to play the game globally the way you play it. This is ridiculous, you should be able to play the game like you want without being afraid of being banned from playing the game itself, especially if you hold a legitimate copy of it, considering how it's set up for that.

We are discussing the action that could (and should) be taken against TROLLS/GRIEFERS. Not what and how you manage in, let's say base building, exploring or the like. But if by your statement, "you should be able to play the game like you want" means you want to go into pubs and burn other people bases, then yes, by all means you are a troll/griefer and most certainly warrant some kicks and then bans. If competitive playing is your cup of tea, go for appropriate servers where people can retaliate in the spirit of fair play, not chose the cowardly manner of "doing naughty things".

3 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

I think there needs to be more AUTOmation within the game, but not in regards to banning, but more on the griefing prevention end.

Btw, having a global ban could leeway into false accusations; for instance, two friends playing on a private server to have ****s and giggles and have one of them record the whole thing, involving one of them possibly burning down stuff, could then turn out to have one falsely report the other because of some falling out later on.

That's why I proposed the "50-100 individual/unique reports" system or karma/bad rep/whatever-points of underlying one's general behaviour. 1 to 10 reports are bound to happen no-matter-what over a variable period of time for various reasons not related to griefing ("that guy camps MacTs/that lad took my bag/that lass got the grass from chests/etc") aka more-or-less petty conflicts and/or misunderstandings. But when a compulsive griefer like Clouds or the happy trio previously mentioned do the griefing for so long (the trio spent in one day hours.. HOURS in a row of restarting the Klei official servers) the reports will flow like rain (as how it happened with forum posts not so long ago, on Steam and here, about said madness). And no people in their right minds will say "well, poor schnappsy-chap got 100-150 reports just because...people envied his/hers mad skills at killing dragonfly and base-building", let's be serious about it! Also if not necessary a griefer but you use bad language so often, horridly and profusely that you get 100 ID-UNIQUE reports.. C'mon! Just tell me you are actually a nice player that helps and all... but Tourette syndrome sabotages you, lel! :lol: Clearly you deserve time-out/not to mingle with normal people till you get "that" fixed.. by some professionals in white coats ;)

2 hours ago, JohnWatson said:

you have to consider that 99% of the reason why people troll is for attention and recognition

If you are a disruptive little kid or a dysfunctional adult sure, "attention and recognition". And in an ok gaming medium that kind of attention and recognition = kicks and bans. Simple, hygienic ..and doesn't have added sugar ;)

1 hour ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

No, it isn't. What is important is your experience with the game. These don't necessarily have to be the points for one to enjoy the game. If the way you enjoy the game is managing everything, go ahead. I personally hate that, and hate that the game has went in this direction, but I can still try and get the experience I want. The bias of wanting global banning within the game itself means you basically want people to play the game globally the way you play it. This is ridiculous, you should be able to play the game like you want without being afraid of being banned from playing the game itself, especially if you hold a legitimate copy of it, considering how it's set up for that.

Go to a PvP Server where burning bases makes sense since the players are enemies, if they aren't enemies, there's no reason to ruin their experience.

Also, your second question's answers on the poll is biased, there's no option for not increasing moderation or any of the sort. I certainly don't think there needs to be more moderation, I think there needs to be more AUTOmation within the game, but not in regards to banning, but more on the griefing prevention end.

Just don't vote, there's so many opinions somebody could have on this not all of them can be included.

Yes, I made a mistake, I forgot to add "No the staff team is fine" and that happened, but the work-around for that is that Yes/No questions are so simple to answer that in this case Abstaining and posting is the equivalent of disagreement to the question, you didn't vote but posted, so you did see the question in the poll.

And having a global ban also could help prevent on-going griefers.

For every addition there's a risk, specially for Klei's quiet development method. This can be fixed by adding a report system like the one I mentioned a few posts above, it was @DelroyBM 's post that reminded me such feature exists, as I'm not a huge transformice player.

You know, whether you enjoy it or not, griefing is definitely a playstyle. I know the forums generally seem to despise the concept of griefing (Threads have been locked from people telling tales of griefing) but I don't think banning someone just because the griefed once is worthwhile for a couple of reasons:

1: There are very, very, very, very, VERY few people that dedicate their entire DST time to joining random servers and griefing

2: Most people that grief are either noobs that have no clue what they're or just one-time-thing people (Or people that only do it periodically)

3: The chance that someone reported for griefing in one corner of the world showing up in your server on the other side of the world is incredibly slim

Basically, I don't think it matters. All it does is invite more chances for arguments and flames, and griefing can already be dealt with easily enough on a private server. As for a public server, well, everything usually gets wiped out eventually, so I really don't see a huge issue with that. I don't see the need to invite that demon into the forums, these things are already getting shaky and threads are always getting locked on the subject anyway, and overall the DST community is a less friendly place than when it started, which is something I think we all can agree on.

This goes back to other points I've raised. I'm aware people think griefing is a HUGE issue, but I really don't want the game, or the devs to have to bend over backwards to get rid of them. If you really hate it, get mods, and if none of them work for you, make your own or contract others for it.

Modding Don't Starve really isn't hard. I haven't seen a single tutorial on it and I've made an almost entirely functional character mod just off of observation alone.

Besides - Not everyone wants to punish griefers. There's always madness and competitive servers, where that's usually just a part of the gameplay.

And I think if there's a system that auto-bans you for a report of griefing, that's practically barring you off of game features, just for your playstyle. Sure, it isn't friendly, but there's no rulebook in DST forcing you to be friendly. Sure, it's nice, but you never have to be.

You shouldn't be punished for playing how you like, in a game that likes to encourage playing however you like.

22 hours ago, Weirdobob said:

I don't see the need to invite that demon into the forums, these things are already getting shaky..and overall the DST community is a less friendly place than when it started

if there's a system that auto-bans you for a report of griefing, that's practically barring you off of game features, just for your playstyle. Sure, it isn't friendly, but there's no rulebook in DST forcing you to be friendly. Sure, it's nice, but you never have to be.

You shouldn't be punished for playing how you like, in a game that likes to encourage playing however you like.

If is Competitive and Madness, sure, it's in description, there you do whatever you want, go yolo loco - and for those modes obviously there shouldn't be any report system, is kinda rhetorical. We are writing about Social and Co-Op, because there the griefer term applies. Co-Op description entails a desired friendly, cooperative gameplay even if you chose to play alone - at least don't be disruptive and don't destroy the work others strived for, even if that work is temporary (Survival). Of course if some people-with-problems aka griefers/trolls begin to "do their thingy" more and more frequent, the "less friendly place" will begin to take over pubs and, like it's happening now, the forums as well. But how you phrase it sounds more and more as the fault lies with victims that want retribution, not with assailants. "Ignore, move over" didn't work. Frankly, after reading some of your (*posters in this topic) comments that push the "no talk about, no naming and shaming, just shush, accept this madness in co-op" envelope I begin to think I might as well hop fence into the griefer camp. I mean if griefing is seen as a "playstyle", again - for co-op mode - well... F.me, I must've missed that memo. Good to know, would be interesting to see what Klei standpoint is in all of this to finally put said issue to rest: "yep, griefing is a playstyle for co-op pubs, no need to stress it more, one base burned per day keeps the good reputation away, ole!"

And, sadly, it isn't such a small problem as you imply; I for one stumbled upon the same 5 recurring griefers (beside a lot of one-timers) at least 3 times each in public servers, mostly on Klei officials (one of them even stalked me for getting him banned on 2 other servers, rightfully so for torching everything he encountered, quite a mental one that was); and yes, I play pubs a lot - enough to have them 5 griefing offenders in my Steam Blocked Users list (where only the biggest 'shart' human stains I ever encountered on Steam - Clouds level ones - end up). Fun fact: one of these 5 liked some of the posts in this very thread, the ones against a banning system - wonder why, heh :lol:

Totally unrelated: HI, @Saltzmah, hello there lil buddy! Needed some "attention and recognition" lately?! :rolleyes:

I also really liked if some better griefing protection would be available for public servers, but I also agree that this is a very difficult thing and I'd rather want some griefert stay unpunished than innocent players getting falsely banned. 

There was an interesting situation a few month ago, where a player burnt our base becasue someone stole their golden tools and refused to give them back. However, I played this person later sometimes and they never griefed again (afaik). Now there is the question, what should happen in such a situation, because temporary griefing is still griefing, but a perma ban would be way too strong here.

Well @fimmatek I guess you've been lucky cos I've been playing with a prick (bitching about newbie players and demanding from them to do tasks and so on) and after quite a few games he was still a prick. Permanently banned him on my server where we used to play and no regrets so far.

Right off the bat I want to make one thing clear: I always take things "case by case" and don't jump on the ban hammer just because one yelled griefer. Accidents can happen, or someone was pissed for a good reason and whatnot, so might benefit of a second chance to redeem themselves (after a slap on the wrists obviously), but if you took the time to smash, burn or pillage my camp then don't expect a pat on the back for how cool you are.

Naming and shaming isn't going to do any good because will most likely start flame wars. Sharing a list of people "off the grid" (meaning no on Klei's servers) that found "joy" in other people misery aka. griefing, and this happened without a shadow of a doubt about who he/she is and what he/she done is a better option if you ask me. From here forward you can do whatever you please with the information you have, be it grant them a second chance to redeem themselves, permanently ban them on your server, give them a pat on the back or whatever you can think of.

Oh, and you all the "I don't want to see innocent players getting falsely banned" got to understand that what Clouds did was a few leagues higher than any occasional newbie burning, smashing, or taking stuff from public camps. Nobody wishes to have someone falsely reported and banned, but then again sucks to have the same person do this the entire game and ruin the game for others, especially newbies that don't know how to handle things with the rollbacks or vote kicks we got this days and take them for granted.

People who are griefing over and over (like Clouds) should be known to the public and banned permanently from the game. Why so many people talk about rights of the griefers - they are like "game criminals" - they should be punished for they'r actions.

18 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Just added the poll answer now, didn't do so yesterday because my internet was being terrible and I was already sleepy.

As nice as the thought is, the banning system would be way overused and would cause a lot of toxicity in the game

Experience from playing League of Legends, anyone who disliked you would start making up excuses to send a ban report to you, and as they pile up from people who simply dont like the look of your face, eventualy people will get wrongly banned, all it takes is to enter a group of premade friends and say one thing wrong

I think what would be a nice idea instead, is this kind of "wall of shame" on the DST forums, where people can leave names of griefers they've encountered, so others who meet them online can know what to expect from them

If Klei don't want to ban players from the game, they could maybe make a system for griefing protection, which could be optional set on/off on a server/game. Here my suggestions for such a system:

1. Every player, who joins a server after Day 10, is not allowed to burn anything for 5 game days. The charakter should say "I can't do that". And for the same time they shouldn't be allowed to open chests, fridges or chester, to take others backpacks or to hammer anything. When they leave the game within their first 5 days, they should drop all the stuff they have in their inventory automatically. But there should be a "Vote-Trust"-Option to give a player the full permission earlier.

2. Every player, who survived 15 days on a server, should have double vote. From 30 days it should be triple vote, if there isn't another player left with 10+ days. Players, who survived less than 2 days, shouldn't be able to vote (or even see the vote). Vote-Kick can only be started for players, who doesn't have survived 10 days more than you.

3. Maybe make two kind of fire. All fire, that can be set by a player, only spread to trees. And structures should not been set to fire immediately, they should first smolder for 10 seconds. "Natural" fire (from heat in summer, lightning strikes, fire hounds and traps) should act as usual.

4. Chester won't open his mouth for other players, if someone has the Eye Bone in his inventory. Instead he should start snarling at the other player and, when he is not walking away, biting him :D

With (some) of these optional changes we wouldn't need a reporting/ban system.

15 minutes ago, Newax said:

I think what would be a nice idea instead, is this kind of "wall of shame" on the DST forums, where people can leave names of griefers they've encountered, so others who meet them online can know what to expect from them

I think that's even worse than banning. Griefers could use the names of other DST players, as you can change your name in steam easily, and change their name back after trolling. And putting others in the pillory is never good, the community would get toxic.

2 hours ago, Queron81 said:

1. Every player, who joins a server after Day 10, is not allowed to burn anything for 5 game days. The charakter should say "I can't do that". And for the same time they shouldn't be allowed to open chests, fridges or chester, to take others backpacks or to hammer anything. When they leave the game within their first 5 days, they should drop all the stuff they have in their inventory automatically. But there should be a "Vote-Trust"-Option to give a player the full permission earlier.

I can see this being a turnoff for so many people. Not being able to burn anything within 5 days would make someone's life hell when joining a world that just turned winter. Not to add to the fact that people are just going to start begging  everyone else for items they can't get (I.E. meatballs, flint, twigs, etc.) and they really won't be able to get anything done within those 5 days. Also, while I do agree there should be a system that drops all items on leaving, I don't think it's fair when someone's internet crashed, get back on, and then all of their stuff have been stolen (maybe putting in a system that asks the player if they want to leave their stuff behind when leaving would work?).

2. Every player, who survived 15 days on a server, should have double vote. From 30 days it should be triple vote, if there isn't another player left with 10+ days. Players, who survived less than 2 days, shouldn't be able to vote (or even see the vote). Vote-Kick can only be started for players, who doesn't have survived 10 days more than you.

Maybe making the "vote multiplication" adjustable would make this a better idea; considering how this would be not effective in a endless server that lasts onto day 500 and some greifer joins in for a month and has more powers than everyone else.

3. Maybe make two kind of fire. All fire, that can be set by a player, only spread to trees. And structures should not been set to fire immediately, they should first smolder for 10 seconds. "Natural" fire (from heat in summer, lightning strikes, fire hounds and traps) should act as usual.

There should also be a system that prevents certain objects to be set on fire. Granted, it is going to be abused (making it impossible for totally normal trees to be set on fire via player, making it "okay" to cause random forest fires that only burn the things you don't want) but that option should just be left to the host of the server.

4. Chester won't open his mouth for other players, if someone has the Eye Bone in his inventory. Instead he should start snarling at the other player and, when he is not walking away, biting him

A better alternative at least in my Irrelevant opinion  should be allowing players to put a "lock" on chester (whether it's a certain player you don't trust or everyone that isn't you). Much more better than having people trying to kill themselves via Chester and spam haunting.

The thing here is that no system will be good no matter how it is implemented, there are some things that humans should do and there are things that humans can do that programming can fix.

I don't need to explain what a human is capable to do in this situation.

The problem with disallowing burning for a few days is that burning can be used as a combat method, or even to get charcoal, plus it's just a delay, there's nothing stopping a griefer from waiting, and with that system you're changing it for everyone.

The griefers should be punished, the game shouldn't be changed to affect everyone out of a bad player's fault in this situation.

5 hours ago, Queron81 said:

1. Every player, who joins a server after Day 10, is not allowed to burn anything for 5 game days. The charakter should say "I can't do that". And for the same time they shouldn't be allowed to open chests, fridges or chester, to take others backpacks or to hammer anything.

How to make me never play a public world again in one easy step.

Archived