Should the "Don't mention the names of griefers" rule be changed?

Please read the thread first  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What action should be taken?

• Add a game-ban and let everyone report and discuss publicly.
    • Add a game-ban but only allow OP and Klei Staff discuss privately.
    • Don't add a game ban.
  2. 2. If this suggestion happens, do you think we would need more staff?

• Yes, open moderator recruitment and let volunteers help.
    • Yes, but Klei should choose.
    • No, but the staff should be more active.
    • No, the staff team is fine.

8 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

--I personally LIKE when people say the names of griefers, trolls etc. because then I know who to watch out for!  I very much want to have warning ahead of time.  If someone is a complete slimeball, I want them to know without _them_ knowing I know, so I can just quietly kick them as soon as they show up.  (IF they show up--my servers are small and unpopular.)

This can be used by griefers/trolls themselves or people with really sensitive and manipulative traits very easily to have people kicked out automatically in the future, despite having little to no evidence to support this. If you're just looking for names that are being called out, that's very bad practice. If you're looking for decent evidence too, then this doesn't apply. Your server, up to you.

8 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

...but on the other hand, I once had a guy descend into more and more aggressive sexual  harrassment, ending with a freaking R@PE THREAT to one of the female players before he left.  (And I kept the chat record.)  _That_ kind of person really does need to be known about, so they can be avoided.  Although in this case I've gone way past "griefer" and straight into "Steam should have a sex offender registry", but...

...Notorious

Yeah, I don't understand why this can't just be muted and forgotten about. Why is it, people? Why do you get the urge to really get into the ****-mouth's gut instead of doing something so simple as muting and not wasting your time concerning yourselves about something someone you don't even know and probably never will said online that offends you? Offense online is easy to give, so why isn't it just as easy to not take it?

9 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Well...THIS is a barrel of bullets just waiting to go off, so I'll just say a couple quick things and leave:

--I don't know about banning, because, as said, it can be misused.  Maybe only by the server's actual admin?

--I personally LIKE when people say the names of griefers, trolls etc. because then I know who to watch out for!  I very much want to have warning ahead of time.  If someone is a complete slimeball, I want them to know without _them_ knowing I know, so I can just quietly kick them as soon as they show up.  (IF they show up--my servers are small and unpopular.)

I mean...I kinda see both sides here...code of that nature is WAY too hard to make truly abuse-proof...

...but on the other hand, I once had a guy descend into more and more aggressive sexual  harrassment, ending with a freaking R@PE THREAT to one of the female players before he left.  (And I kept the chat record.)  _That_ kind of person really does need to be known about, so they can be avoided.  Although in this case I've gone way past "griefer" and straight into "Steam should have a sex offender registry", but...

...Notorious

Once a player starts making threats, it goes way beyond a ban and becomes a criminal matter.  Problem is that it is very easy to change your steam name making it easy to impersonate other players.

18 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

This would mean that only biased data can be gathered, and that is not good at all. "Just don't vote" isn't a good excuse. If you want to gather decent data, it's good to not be biased, so why are you still making excuses?

Because my internet is constantly terrible and I felt like sharing my thoughts instead of editing the OP for the time being, and I was sleepy in that moment.

I already told you this.

Archived