Announcing Don't Starve: Hamlet, The Forge and other exciting news!

On 9/13/2017 at 1:46 PM, t1morino88eex said:
On 9/13/2017 at 0:17 PM, Bigfoot said:

have the option to purchase a single character’s Warrior Skin Set for $2.99, or the entire Warrior Skin Set collection for $12.99.

Holly hell, so this is the norm nowadays. I'll never again buy or touch anything Klei makes. I don't care that it's just a visual thing, but this is one of the lamest and cheapest way to expect to make money out of a game. Awful.

I mean, the alternative is that we be at the mercy of the market to decide the price of skins...

Spoiler

mn67ga8.png

Just Winona's body piece goes upward to $20. $12.99 for skins sets for 12 characters (maybe even more in the future) is insane. That's almost a dollar for a skin set. Now imagine if you had to buy every warrior skin off the market. Something tell's me that's going to total maybe just a little over $12.99. Just maybe.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, KoreanWaffles said:

I mean, the alternative is that we be at the mercy of the market to decide the price of skins...

This worries me for different reasons. $12.99 for 13 skins (heads, dunno if there are body pieces included). So about $1 per skin. 

If these skins are marketable they'll go for around $1. Up or down a bit. Which kinda makes the $2.99 unviable for Klei. Seeing as they drop as well it seems like they would be marketable.

Edited by Zeklo

6 hours ago, KoreanWaffles said:

Just Winona's body piece goes upward to $20.

Probably a little because she is new. Price in a week will be more interesting, because we'll have better views on the subject.

4 hours ago, Zeklo said:

If these skins are marketable they'll go for around $1. Up or down a bit. Which kinda makes the $2.99 unviable for Klei. Seeing as they drop as well it seems like they would be marketable.

One possibility is to make the skin you buy from Klei not resellable.

Whaaa..?  Did an email announcement not go out for this?  The last one I got was for the Xbox preorder =( .  Haven't kept up on the news for quite a while, as I'm not a fan of DST and don't own other gaming consoles.  Just happened to see this referenced elsewhere.  It'll be interesting to see what the Hamlet DLC will have in store!  I'll have to make sure and put it on my Wishlist!  Might check out the Shipwrecked beta stuff as well.  It's been a bit since I've played in that mode.  Good to see single-player getting some love again!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Shyrokaya said:

how ?

By "playing the beta" they mean the shipwreckedbeta branch. Here's how to play it yourself:

• In Steam, click on Library > Games.
  • Scroll down to Don't Starve.
  • Right-click and select Properties.
  • Go to the BETAS tab.
  • Type in the beta access code "shipwreckedbeta" then click "Check Code"
  • After that click the "NONE - Opt out of all beta programs" and a dropdown list will appear, then select "beta - new update for Shipwrecked".
  • In that same Properties window, go to the Local Files tab and press "Verify Integrity Of Game Cache."
  • Your game will be updated to the the new branch.
  • Launch and play Don't Starve.

I hope that helps, cheers.

13 minutes ago, Devon Aster said:

Whaaa..?  Did an email announcement not go out for this? 

It's pretty normal to have no e-mail about this, the most recent thing is forge in november (so not soon). SW content is still in beta, Hamlet for DS in next year, email are better for things that will come soon. (next weeks, things like this)

Hello @TroubleBreathing, welcome to the forums. Afaik the Hamlet DLC will have a price since it's a DLC akin to RoG and SW although the devs haven't released any information about pricing, expect it to be around the same value as the other DS DLCs if not more. Cause if it were free, they would have already said so like how they've actually done for the other free content (i.e. shipwrecked and the forge).

If however you are looking for handouts of the DLC simply because you have every other DS game, personally I highly doubt something like what happened to DST before (where buyers of DS before a certain date gets DST for free) to also happen here.

Feel free to wait for a response from the developers themselves if you wish.

13 minutes ago, Zillvr said:

Hello @TroubleBreathing, welcome to the forums. Afaik the Hamlet DLC will have a price since it's a DLC akin to RoG and SW although the devs haven't released any information about pricing, expect it to be around the same value as the other DS DLCs if not more. Cause if it were free, they would have already said so like how they've actually done for the other free content (i.e. shipwrecked and the forge).

If however you are looking for handouts of the DLC simply because you have every other DS game, personally I highly doubt something like what happened to DST before (where buyers of DS before a certain date gets DST for free) to also happen here.

Feel free to wait for a response from the developers themselves if you wish.

i found it already far more than generous of klei to give away 2 copies of dst to people who owned ds and signed up for it. klei is not thinking about earning more money. they are thinking about their player base and how to make them happy. unique in any way.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, alainmcd said:

@Devon Aster, you can follow Don't Starve on Steam (top right-ish, below "Store Page") and receive news updates in your Home/Activity feed.

Thanks, but I rarely keep Steam signed in and open.  On the other hand, I check my email at least a couple times a day, which is why I've remained signed up to receive news that way.

• Like 1

@Devon Aster, yeah, I'm a bit confused by their choices in communication recently. Winona was announced via email, but not here on the forums, now this far greater announcement is kept on the forums and Steam instead.

edit: I mean, yeah, they already said that Winona was coming, The Forge and Hamlet aren't available yet, and they probably only want more dedicated players in the beta for feedback and bug fixing, but it still seems a little weird to me.

Edited by alainmcd

2 hours ago, alainmcd said:

@Devon Aster, yeah, I'm a bit confused by their choices in communication recently. Winona was announced via email, but not here on the forums, now this far greater announcement is kept on the forums and Steam instead.

The one thing that's immediately available in this announcement is the beta of the Shipwrecked content, and it makes sense that they'd want to announce that to people who are active on the forums and therefore probably  already in the habit of giving them feedback.

• Like 1

This is a really big surprise. You know I was reading articles about how the video game industry is slowly transforming into a big gambling machine with only money in mind through psychological exploits and the likes, I hope you guys realise that you're at the other end of this sad spectrum.

• Like 3

What I'm really curious about is: why Don't Starve: Hamlet ???

RoG, SW and Together are all names that reflect a main property of the game/dlc and speak for themselves.

So why is this new world Hamlet? Maybe it is the name of someone (an ancient, a pig, or something else)? Or Wilson will die for the good cause? (Oh wait, he already died in the trailer...) Will there be some other similarities with Shakespeare's drama in the  storyline, a role, an action or a scene?

Just now, fimmatek said:

What I'm really curious about is: why Don't Starve: Hamlet ???

RoG, SW and Together are all names that reflect a main property of the game/dlc and speak for themselves.

So why is this new world Hamlet? Maybe it is the name of someone (an ancient, a pig, or something else)? Or Wilson will die for the good cause? (Oh wait, he already died in the trailer...) Will there be some other similarities with Shakespeare's drama in the  storyline, a role, an action or a scene?

It's a pun.

"Hamlet - a small settlement, generally one smaller than a village."

Ham = pig. Hamlet = village. 

Pig village.

• Like 13

12 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

It's a pun.

"Hamlet - a small settlement, generally one smaller than a village."

Ham = pig. Hamlet = village. 

Pig village.

OMG.

I wasn't expecting that.

[... long break, thinking it over ...]

Amazing. I didn't know that. Thanks! :)

Nice pun, Wilson will definitely love it.

• Like 1