Winona's Mending Tape

Have thought about the implications of it for awhile and it's hard to imagine the mending tape would be used to repair anything already in the game.

Like, it could be used to repair all kinds of unique items, which would massively effect the balance of resources in the game if Winona could just perpetually repair unique equipment. At that point, it would be easier to farm for the items to make more tape then to make more equipment; especially if it's a boss item. So what are they going to do, have its components be a hundred silk, grass and Bearger pelts or something. It seems almost impossible to properly balance the tape without imbalancing the value of something else, because the idea of repairing unique items like ancient equipment goes against the games system of constant supply for demand.

It's not like the other characters are much better in terms of balance, but fundamentally devaluing the need to raid the ruins or kill certain bosses is certainly more extreme then having more attack power, movement speed and so on.

So am guessing that the tape is actually used to repair unique items that Winona can construct and Wigfrid just doesn't know what she's talking about. If whatever Winona could build is expected to get damaged then that likely means it has something to do with combat or has a lifespan. The existence of complex machines is already present in the world, and it's already apparent that survivors that pass into the world have traits about them amplified. Wigfrid becomes as strong as her acting role is, Willow becomes immune to fire, Woodie's ax becomes possessed, so on. So if Winona is a factory worker it would be logical that her amplified ability is to construct and repair machines beyond a normal capacity.

There's no way of telling whether Winona's dialogue strings were leaked on purpose or not, but considering how much has been hidden in the code on purpose it would be an unlikely mistake. The developers could have left out the most significant gimmick of Winona, that she can build machines, while leaving in the minor ones such as that she has some kind of repair tape and she gets a free hit from Charlie. And honestly, considering that she is the first new character in a long time; it would be very underwhelming if her only significant trait is that she can make fix-it tape.

It can also be noted that new sound files were added to the game involving lightning and lava / fire or such, so perhaps those are affiliated with her machines as well.

TLDR; Winona's mending tape would be broken if it could repair expensive armour such as thulecite Suits, bee queen crowns, etc. Because instead of having to go and get a fresh new one when they break, you'll just have to grind for the mending tape's crafting ingredients.

Makes sense, actually. I could see that being an issue.

53 minutes ago, The Curator said:

So what are they going to do, have its components be a hundred silk, grass and Bearger pelts or something.

Perhaps it'll cost 50 green gems, 10 bone armor hats, 300 bee queen hats, 30 opal gems. and it'll only repair 5% on the selected item and use 20% durability.

15 minutes ago, landromat said:

would be cool if it will use flegm to craft, or 3 flegms

That's probably what it'll use, honestly. The stuff has no other use, so it would make sense.

although imagine how gross it would be knowing your battle helm was mended together by a sheep's snot

19 minutes ago, StarmanNess said:

That's probably what it'll use, honestly. The stuff has no other use, so it would make sense.

although imagine how gross it would be knowing your battle helm was mended together by a sheep's snot

Nothing in her quotes tells about her special crafts. only steelwool, maybe

SPAT = "Looks like the old foreman. Ha!",

PHLEGM = "Please. I hock bigger loogies in my sleep.",

STEELWOOL = "At least there's some steel around here.",

I will wait to see how it works. There are options to make it useful without being mandatory.

You could imagine that the mending tape could repair things like grass/wood/marble armor, wigfrid helmet and football helmet, it will be convenient, it will be useful (no more stuff with low % durability everywhere), but it will not be too powerful.

After all, they can decide if you can use the sewing kit on an item or not, so they can decide the same for the mending tape.

1 minute ago, Lumina said:

I will wait to see how it works. There are options to make it useful without being mandatory.

You could imagine that the mending tape could repair things like grass/wood/marble armor, wigfrid helmet and football helmet, it will be convenient, it will be useful (no more stuff with low % durability everywhere), but it will not be too powerful.

After all, they can decide if you can use the sewing kit on an item or not, so they can decide the same for the mending tape.

or it will repair rare items less effective, maybe about 10% for use, so you need A LOT of tape to repair good stuff

1 minute ago, landromat said:

or it will repair rare items less effective, maybe about 10% for use, so you need A LOT of tape to repair good stuff

This is usually harder to balance, either you :

- ask for too much and no one will use it

- ask for too little and no one will ever bother trying to obtain these item by the normal way (fighting the bosses)

- ask for nearly too much, and people will use it but find it tedious and unfun, and complain, but will feel forced to use it because the other option (fighting bosses) is harder, so they'll prefer tediousness to difficulty. This situation is to avoid.

The situation with a perfect balance is hard to obtain, the situation when it's fun to use the repair item, but you still want to fight the bosses to obtain what is needed to make a new item. Or it require that the repair item needs a rare drop to function, so it will never be useful for small items (because, if your mending tape require a green gem, it will be a loss and a waste to use it on a wood armor).

Another solution will be that the mending tape require one of the original drop of the item to repair it (like wood for wood armor, marble for marble armor, and so on), and here it can be easier to obtain the balance, but i'm not sure it's possible code-wise ?

5 minutes ago, Lumina said:

This is usually harder to balance, either you :

- ask for too much and no one will use it

- ask for too little and no one will ever bother trying to obtain these item by the normal way (fighting the bosses)

- ask for nearly too much, and people will use it but find it tedious and unfun, and complain, but will feel forced to use it because the other option (fighting bosses) is harder, so they'll prefer tediousness to difficulty. This situation is to avoid.

The situation with a perfect balance is hard to obtain, the situation when it's fun to use the repair item, but you still want to fight the bosses to obtain what is needed to make a new item. Or it require that the repair item needs a rare drop to function, so it will never be useful for small items (because, if your mending tape require a green gem, it will be a loss and a waste to use it on a wood armor).

Another solution will be that the mending tape require one of the original drop of the item to repair it (like wood for wood armor, marble for marble armor, and so on), and here it can be easier to obtain the balance, but i'm not sure it's possible code-wise ?

I think, good balanced Winona will be more preferable for solo players, so they can kill boss once and then just repair their items. If you are playing party 3+ people, you can kill every boss wihout problems, so big patries don't need Winona, But she can be great for solo players or for hosts with unstable server online. Honestly i don't see big problems in her balancing

3 hours ago, JohnWatson said:

TLDR; Winona's mending tape would be broken if it could repair expensive armour such as thulecite Suits, bee queen crowns, etc. Because instead of having to go and get a fresh new one when they break, you'll just have to grind for the mending tape's crafting ingredients.

Makes sense, actually. I could see that being an issue.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately and I don't think repairing the queen crown, scalemail, bone helm etc will actually present balance issues because those items are more utility oriented to begin with, and Winona will only ever be as strong as the gear she can acquire.

The only things worth repairing are drop only, magic and ruins gear, and a far more broken combo would be green amulet/staff and tape combos which could duplicate anything craftable infinitely.

Early game there's tentacle spikes and nothing else, and if you need phlegm for tape and prevent green gem abuse you won't have balance problems.

4 hours ago, The Curator said:

It can also be noted that new sound files were added to the game involving lightning and lava / fire or such, so perhaps those are affiliated with her machines as well.

I can imagine that they'll add not only Winona, but other new stuff to the game. Not too much I guess, otherwise it would have been announced.

I'm wondering, why will we get a new character, and why so silently? There were no official announce on the forums, on steam, only on xbox (if I'm not wrong). We got the bone armor and some minor new stuff with an after-beta update, but a completely new character sounds big for just a little content update.

What if an item could only be fixed by the mending tape one time and it only fixed 50%-70% of it?
I mean, I don't see a mending tape fixing something several times, at some point the item won't get fixed by simply applying more tape to it d:
But then there would be a speech file for when you can't fix something anymore. 
So I guess I'll try to wait patiently those two days and see what happens, I sure am excited to know more about her.
Hype, help

I think that it will be used to repair armor/weapons however will probably be balanced to not be able to fix ancient items and boss loot. After all I don't think a magic crown that changes your perspective on the world could contain such an ability for a longer duration purely by sticking a bit of tape on it. Same goes for a staff that could summon stars, a club that summons shadow tentacles, and a crown that projects a magic light-up barrier around you.

34 minutes ago, Mr Pig said:

I think that it will be used to repair armor/weapons however will probably be balanced to not be able to fix ancient items and boss loot. After all I don't think a magic crown that changes your perspective on the world could contain such an ability for a longer duration purely by sticking a bit of tape on it. Same goes for a staff that could summon stars, a club that summons shadow tentacles, and a crown that projects a magic light-up barrier around you.

mending tape can make miracles if you know how to use it

How about something inbetween what was suggested before:

-Mending tape is mildly cheap to make, (eg: 1 phlegm, 3 silk, 1 snurtle slime) has 10 uses, Winona starts the game with one and only her can craft it..
-Cheap items: Can repair all Science tier 0-1-2 weapons, armor and tools just with the tape back to 100%, costing 10% of the tape's durability.
-Expensive items: Can repair all weapon-armor- tools from magic tab, ancient tab, and uncraftable items (bee queen hat, bone helm, etc) only with another of low durability item of the same type and a mending tape use, destroying one of the items in the process.

In this scenario, cheap and easily renewable items can be repaired without much effort as long as you keep getting the tape's materials, BUT more expensive items (thelucite crown, dark swords, bee queen crown, bone helm, etc) can be repaired to 100% with another equal item, allowing you to greatly extend the durability of some items but forcing you to eventually having to make/get new ones.
EG: I have 2 bee queen crowns with 5% durability, I can "mending tape" both into a single new 100% one. As long as I don't get a new bee queen hat at some point, that one will also break and I won't be able to fix it, sort of balancing the item.

**Alternative to make Winona not just a tape crafter: Anyone can use mending tape to repair Science tier 0-1-2 items, but ONLY WINONA can make the second option thing, of  repairing more expensive magic/ancient/uncraftables with another low durability item.

In any case, I can't wait to see what Klei has in store for us.

5 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

How about something inbetween what was suggested before:

-Mending tape is mildly cheap to make, (eg: 1 phlegm, 3 silk, 1 snurtle slime) has 10 uses, Winona starts the game with one and only her can craft it..
-Can repair all science tier 0-1-2 weapons, armor and tools just with the tape back to 100%, costing 10% of the tape's durability.
-Can repair all weapon-armor- tools from magic tab, ancient tab, and uncraftable items (bee queen hat, bone helm, etc) with another of low durability item of the same type and a mending tape use, destroying one of the items in the process.

In this scenario, cheap renewable items can be repaired with not much effort as long as you keep getting the tape's materials, BUT  more expensive items (thelucite crown, dark swords, bee queen crown, bone helm, etc) can be repaired to 100% with another equal item, allowing you to greatly extend the durability of some items but forcing you to eventually having to make/get new ones.

EG: I have 2 bee queen crowns with 5% durability, I can "mending tape" both into a single new 100% one. As long as I don't get a new bee queen hat at some point, that one will also break and I won't be able to fix it, sort of balancing the item.

**Alternative: Anyone can use mending tape to repair Science tier 0-1-2 items, but ONLY WINONA can make the second option thing, of  repairing more expensive science/ancient/uncraftables with another low durability item.

can't wait to see how it actually work

Archived