Your Most Useless Thing In The Game?

Pretty parasol is actually useful on occasion in the early game for boosting sanity regen. If you're picking flowers anyway and you're not using a walking cane, you might as well make one and hold it. If you've also got a top hat, the combination is enough to cancel out the sanity drain of dusk.

Some items like the rain-o-meter catch a lot of flak, but when they were first implemented there was no rainy season. Other items become important when you start on a season other than Autumn. The King of Winter level in single player adventure mode made rabbit muffs look desirable, for example. I believe the pretty parasol is required to survive spring and summer starts (although summer is nigh impossible to start from and live).

2 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

Not if you've  just dug 10 graves and aren't ready to place your alchemy engine yet.

With a Science Machine you can: make rope, boards, stone, electrical doodad, spear, pitchfork, razor, backpack, wood armor and more! 

Just those items I listed will grant you 135 points of sanity and are all made with items you'll likely have by day 3. Also, you can craft a Crockpot, Alchemy Engine and a Drying Hack for 45 extra points and they're  items you don' have to lay down just yet

3 hours ago, verm1ll1on said:

With a Science Machine you can: make rope, boards, stone, electrical doodad, spear, pitchfork, razor, backpack, wood armor and more! 

Just those items I listed will grant you 135 points of sanity and are all made with items you'll likely have by day 3. Also, you can craft a Crockpot, Alchemy Engine and a Drying Hack for 45 extra points and they're  items you don' have to lay down just yet

I don't always find graves before I craft the first science machine items, but it's much cheaper to make a parasol than to craft a bunch of stuff I'm only going to drop because I don't have the inventory space for it.

But I've also made parasols at various times later in the game as an emergency way to boost my sanity regen. It costs virtually nothing and the materials are easy to find, plus people are often already picking flowers for the sanity, so why not? My point is merely that people tend to forget the sanity you get from holding it.

basicfarm vs improved farm

what if you're close to beefalos and there is no rock biome around to get gold and build an alchemy?

what if its day 100 on a public server, and griefers burned all the bases and you got no resources to get gold?

sometimes, you have no choice but to make a basic farm

Regarding farms -- not that I love them, or use them much -- I think we're not analyzing them correctly.  What they really are is a way to convert seeds into a different food.  If you have a better use for seeds then they're pointless, but most people will just eat them or (maybe) use some for a bird-cage and then to trap one bird.  If that's all you're doing with them then a farm (of any kind) isn't terrible, even carrots are better than seeds after all .....

(Please note, not claiming farms are great, and most people really do think to highly of them -- but they're a food upgrading machine, think of them that way.  As for whirly-fans ... oh, sure they're useless .... but I still love to run around as Wes with a whirly fan in my hands -- it just feels ..... well .... right.)

9 hours ago, absimiliard said:

.. farms .. they're a food upgrading machine, think of them that way.

I for one consider advanced farms "a fancy man's type of meals" - something more mid-game and for the sake of refined diversity. As efficiency goes you can opt for Bacon and Eggs, Meatballs, and/or Meaty Stew. But after you have a well developed base and pretty much thrive, you can gorge on Honey Ham, Dragon Pies, Fruit Medley, even Melonsicles (well depends what you want/need atm) - and here is where you experiment with recipes based on farm ingredients.

I have to admit I have no clue how to use tents/straw-rolls/bed-rolls.  It's probably because I main Wes, but trading hunger for health or sanity seems really pointless to me because sanity is so easy to manage and health can be dealt with by using a low-risk style.

51 minutes ago, Ridley said:

My use for straw rolls was to power through winter back in single player. Skipping 3/4s of a day makes the boring winter go by so much faster. In multiplayer there is not a good use for them.

5 hours ago, absimiliard said:

I have to admit I have no clue how to use tents/straw-rolls/bed-rolls.  It's probably because I main Wes, but trading hunger for health or sanity seems really pointless to me because sanity is so easy to manage and health can be dealt with by using a low-risk style.

6 hours ago, Scorpion badger said:

Straw roll ( please someone enlighten me) everyother item I try to incorporate into my game at the right times, items are only useless in the wrong hands, and straw roll is my only dislike

Well the straw roll is pretty useless  i've only use the reliably as the shelf because he can't use green caps to get a lot of Sandy really quickly  though my argument is invalid there because he's a mod character the only other thing I've used them for his healing tanks but that one was just the bunny Puff One because of multiple uses healing and warms you up so it's good   The only other time I've used sleeping with an actual character was too fast forward time in don't starve together and I didn't want to light my fire pit because you can't get attacked by Charlie while sleeping

On 6/19/2017 at 5:41 PM, JellyUltra said:

Rain hat.

A rain hat gives you 70% wetness resistance, a football helmet gives you 20% wetness resistance, and an umbrella gives you 90% wetness resistance. Meaning either way you'll need an umbrella, so you might as well just use a football helmet, since a football helmet is cheaper and won't lose durability over time.

The rain hat provides lightning immunity, so for a Wicker going to buff a WX-78 this might be an easier/cheaper alternative than killing a theoretically large amount of tentacles to make a rain coat.

This is an edge case, as using it for its primary function of being a "rain" hat is definitely not its best use case.

The only three insulated items (which prevent lighting strikes onto the wearer) in the game are: Rain coat, Rain hat, and Eyebrella.

On 6/22/2017 at 6:12 AM, jesuisralph said:
  • Pretty Parasol
  • Grass Suit
  • Whirly Fan
  • Gift Wrap
  • Glommer's Wing
  • Wet Goop
  • Bat Bat
  • Night Light (Who in their right mind would waste nightmare fuel to fuel this as a light source when there's cheaper option?!)

try joining a public server in summer,

and carrying it through the whole season.

Does crock pot food count?

-Fist full of jam

-Wet goop

-Trail Mix

-Froggle Bunwich

-Meaty Stew (except for Wolfgang)

-Kebobs/Kebabs

-Honey Nuggets

-Guacamole

-Spicy Chilli (I didn't even know it existed until I accidentally made it yesterday)

3 hours ago, Prakhar said:

Does crock pot food count?

-Fist full of jam

-Wet goop

-Trail Mix

-Froggle Bunwich

-Meaty Stew (except for Wolfgang)

-Kebobs/Kebabs

-Honey Nuggets

-Guacamole

-Spicy Chilli (I didn't even know it existed until I accidentally made it yesterday)

Wet goop can be useful because you can make it with just twigs and it turns into rot, fertilizer.

Trail mix nets a lot less hunger than its ingredients, but the 20 health is extremely useful.

Froggle bunwich is also great with healing, you can get 20 health back, and you can make it with just one frog legs, one veggie, and two twigs. The perfect food item to make after getting your butt kicked by frog rain.

Meaty Stew is useful, all you need to do is use it just as you're about to starve.

I agree guacomole and chilli are both kind of useless (the first being really weird to make), but at least you can summon two types critters with them.

Archived