Solo Atrium Basing Guide

Thought Ruins basing was easy? Well then this is for you.

My friend recently decided to try out solo-basing in the atrium, which wasn't too unexpected as he is known around the server for solo-basing ruins.  Below are the requirements and steps to take on the journey to the heart of the ruins.  All due credit goes to my friend, Toxiqq (Puppy25).

Spoiler

Required Resources: https://gyazo.com/0fb4759d56552edd5e611aa09b868105

NIP- Don't package this stuff up in your bundling wraps.

IP- Do bundle this stuff up in your bundling wraps.

Any seasoned player will know where to get the materials needed, and if you don't I wouldn't recommend even going to the atrium in the first place.

Those are the materials required to build a base suitable for up to 2 survivors.

Once you have everything prepared, then the fun begins.  In each cave world, there will be 5(?) pairs of big tentacles, only 1 pair leading to the atrium and back.  They are essentially cave worm holes that you have to defeat to access.  Each time you hit the Big Tentacle, it will spawn smaller tentacles around it, which don't do a whole lot of damage themselves, but hit very fast and can easily swarm you.  They are very weak though, dying to a single spear hit.  You might want to back off and hit each tentacle one-by-one, or at least till you've cleared a path back to the big tentacle.  If you are able to count your hits, it's possible to finish off the tentacle in your last 2-3 hits, they only have 500 health.  Remember, each hit spawns a swarm of the smaller tentacles, so it's not advised to hit it more than once at a time.  Anyways, I'm sure somebody else has a better guide on kiting big tentacles.

Once you've covered enough tentacles that you've found the atrium you want to go insane if you already aren't, because there will be obelisks that block your way if you are not.  Stay on the edges and be wary of clockworks that roam the area.  The atrium is very similar to the labyrinth.  You want to find the gateway room because that area provides natural light during daytime and evening.  There are ornate chests scattered around, but the loot isn't worth the trouble as you won't be finding any pseudo-science stations in the atrium.  Once you get to the gateway, you want to plop everything down.  Things are going to get tight, but there should be enough room for everything.  If you have a spider nest, plop it down next to 3 bunny hutches.  If not, 3 bunny hutches will be able to handle 2 depth dweller nests. Put the remaining bunny hutches in your base and close them off for easy culling.  Plant plants, build structures, and do what you would to a normal base.  At this moment, everything should be down, and you are good to go.  By the time you reach the atrium, it will probably be winter, so berry bushes, saplings, and grass tufts aren't going to be of much use.  If you were fast, you might've been able to get 1 harvest in before the winter starts.  At the moment, there isn't much else to do other than kill bunnies, explore the rest of the atrium, and harvest crops.  At least you have a small base prepared when the new update rolls around. :D

I may have forgotten some steps to the Atrium, I wouldn't know as I never completed a full journey, albeit close.  When I did try it once with my friend, we were ambushed in the Atrium by 3 Terror beaks, which ended our adventure then and there as our armour had broke. 

Here's my friend's completed Atrium base: https://gyazo.com/90f43d287230c0550ef81abb4ef3659d

2 hours ago, WesleyT245 said:

What character do you suggest for this?

I would suggest Wolfgang as his survivability and fighting strength both come in handy when fighting Big Tentacles and traversing the Atrium.  Wigfrid could work if you find hutch and put all your food in it, but the chances are quite low that you would find him early on.  WX *might* be able to survive too, but given the low drop rate of gears by broken clockworks don't expect yourself to be drowning in gears.  I can't really think of any other character that would excel in the Atrium.

4 minutes ago, jantonio said:

Not to be ruse but you do know the area you based in is an arena?

Yeah, but it wouldn't be hard taking everything just outside when the new update rolls around.  The only reason really to base at the gateway is because of natural light and the space it can hold.

6 minutes ago, IDKDude said:

Yeah, but it wouldn't be hard taking everything just outside when the new update rolls around.  The only reason really to base at the gateway is because of natural light and the space it can hold.

true, you can also make a solo/more webber base since there are many dangling spiders.

I love this idea of basing in the atrium [as I was with him in one of the first runs toxiqq(puppy25) did] and it was like no experience I've had before! The amount of skill it takes to base down here is immense especially doing it within the first 15-20 days of surviving. The first issue you experience is trying to find everything resource you need, finding the right tentacle, and getting to the portal before you start freezing from winter. Next you need to find a way to cram all your essential building and food sources efficiently to have a well rounded area. Then you have the hardest part of atrium basing.... WINTER which you will have to survive 15 painstaking days of no grass, twigs, berries, and freezing constantly while going insane from lack of grass and food to sleep in a tent and take all means of survival to live off of what you've collected 20 days prior!

Overall I love this idea and I give puppy a HUGE round of applause for coming up with this insane idea and sharing it with the community! If you are ever running out of things to do and you are a well experienced player you should 100% give this a go, as it is way harder than many tasks I have ever overcome in this amazing game!

oh hey it's me.

apparently i'm popular or something now, so i made an account. (please stop giving me more work)

anyways, i'm here to answer some questions (hopefully i get everything right again, forums logged me out and deleted an essay worth of text). 

someone asked which characters to use. IDK Dude, a friend of mine, replied, saying only wolfgang. however, wolfgang is not alone; in fact, 7 of the 11 characters can base quite practically in atrium. these characters include Wolfgang, WX-78, Wendy, Webber, Wilson, Woodie, and, of course, ya boy Wes. the other four characters, Wickerbottom, Maxwell, Wigfrid, and Willow, all have a crippling flaw which interferes with the run. Wickerbottom cannot sleep, and will be constantly plagued by insanity. Maxwell, despite being a good character in general, has a tiny healthpool, which will more than likely kill him during the prep or even the survival phases. in addition, his harvesting abilities have next to no use in atrium. Wigfrid will experience issues with bunnies, which may not seem so major, but, being the pickiest child to ever live, cannot eat green caps, blue caps, carrots, berries or honey, which are literally the only things i ate during the prep phase. not being able to eat the mushrooms is also the worst handicap possible when trying to get through the insanity and sanity pillars. and, finally, willow is just terrible in all situations, due to low stats, lack of good perks, and freezing when cold, which can easily kill you during the prep and atrium phases, specifically while trying to navigate atrium, as you'll have to stay at low sanity that entire time and the ambient temp doesn't have a warm summer quality to it.

another person brought up the ancient key (or the ancient beyblade, as my friends like to call it). the issue with smuggling it into the atrium before winter strikes is that it takes so much time to obtain. it takes a 4-5 day detour into the deep ruins to obtain it, which will almost certainly smash a solo run. the only way this could be practical is with 2 people, one amassing fewer resources and killing guardian early on and the other amassing many more resources and clearing tentapillars. you'll just need to find someone who can do that reliably, which will be the hardest part of the ordeal. the payoffs are very large, though; you get infinite light, you can screw with anyone in ruins at any time for however long you want, and you can have the ultimate pvp base.

someone else mentioned that the room was an arena. i can definitely see how it might be, but where's your confirmation? it could just as easily be the replacement for the teleportato, with the blocking mechanic meant to stop players from bringing more resources into the room to send to the next world.

the natural light in the room comes from multiple large skylights above the gateway, allowing you to see the day segments and even to have functional bee boxes in the room. the bees would turn aggressive in spring, though, posing a large issue to the players at the base.

anyways, i claim to be the creator of the atrium base, having done the first legitimate run on February 26, predating any other mentions of it (proof: https://gyazo.com/be5d1a08980d65e63481b5aa5eda87b3). I expect to see myself credited if someone were to repost about atrium basing (it's as simple as putting "original idea by Toxiqq (Puppy25)" at the bottom). i probably seem to be wanting a little bit of fame, and the truth is, i do. we all do. what's wrong with it?

i plan to make a full guide in heavily edited video form, but the amount of effort and time needed to make it would be colossal. don't expect it to come out, but know that it might.

if you have any more questions, feel free to ask away. i'll (hopefully) be replying to them.

39 minutes ago, Toxiqq said:

oh hey it's me.

apparently i'm popular or something now, so i made an account. (please stop giving me more work)

anyways, i'm here to answer some questions (hopefully i get everything right again, forums logged me out and deleted an essay worth of text). 

someone asked which characters to use. IDK Dude, a friend of mine, replied, saying only wolfgang. however, wolfgang is not alone; in fact, 7 of the 11 characters can base quite practically in atrium. these characters include Wolfgang, WX-78, Wendy, Webber, Wilson, Woodie, and, of course, ya boy Wes. the other four characters, Wickerbottom, Maxwell, Wigfrid, and Willow, all have a crippling flaw which interferes with the run. Wickerbottom cannot sleep, and will be constantly plagued by insanity. Maxwell, despite being a good character in general, has a tiny healthpool, which will more than likely kill him during the prep or even the survival phases. in addition, his harvesting abilities have next to no use in atrium. Wigfrid will experience issues with bunnies, which may not seem so major, but, being the pickiest child to ever live, cannot eat green caps, blue caps, carrots, berries or honey, which are literally the only things i ate during the prep phase. not being able to eat the mushrooms is also the worst handicap possible when trying to get through the insanity and sanity pillars. and, finally, willow is just terrible in all situations, due to low stats, lack of good perks, and freezing when cold, which can easily kill you during the prep and atrium phases, specifically while trying to navigate atrium, as you'll have to stay at low sanity that entire time and the ambient temp doesn't have a warm summer quality to it.

another person brought up the ancient key (or the ancient beyblade, as my friends like to call it). the issue with smuggling it into the atrium before winter strikes is that it takes so much time to obtain. it takes a 4-5 day detour into the deep ruins to obtain it, which will almost certainly smash a solo run. the only way this could be practical is with 2 people, one amassing fewer resources and killing guardian early on and the other amassing many more resources and clearing tentapillars. you'll just need to find someone who can do that reliably, which will be the hardest part of the ordeal. the payoffs are very large, though; you get infinite light, you can screw with anyone in ruins at any time for however long you want, and you can have the ultimate pvp base.

someone else mentioned that the room was an arena. i can definitely see how it might be, but where's your confirmation? it could just as easily be the replacement for the teleportato, with the blocking mechanic meant to stop players from bringing more resources into the room to send to the next world.

the natural light in the room comes from multiple large skylights above the gateway, allowing you to see the day segments and even to have functional bee boxes in the room. the bees would turn aggressive in spring, though, posing a large issue to the players at the base.

anyways, i claim to be the creator of the atrium base, having done the first legitimate run on February 26, predating any other mentions of it (proof: https://gyazo.com/be5d1a08980d65e63481b5aa5eda87b3). I expect to see myself credited if someone were to repost about atrium basing (it's as simple as putting "original idea by Toxiqq (Puppy25)" at the bottom). i probably seem to be wanting a little bit of fame, and the truth is, i do. we all do. what's wrong with it?

i plan to make a full guide in heavily edited video form, but the amount of effort and time needed to make it would be colossal. don't expect it to come out, but know that it might.

if you have any more questions, feel free to ask away. i'll (hopefully) be replying to them.

still can't believe i had to redo the whole thing because i was logged out just as i was posting it. never again

1 hour ago, Toxiqq said:

the other four characters, Wickerbottom, Maxwell, Wigfrid, and Willow, all have a crippling flaw which interferes with the run.

Flaws aren't that bad enough to make it unviable, but it may be more difficult. Still relatively easy with Wigfrid as you can eat Monster Meat to lose sanity and eat Jerky/kill stuff to gain.

1 hour ago, Toxiqq said:

Dev stream: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/125940539?t=49m28s

Skeleton will likely be able to trample on structures like other bosses, so be prepared for that. Your bunnies might prove to be useful though?

6 hours ago, Toxiqq said:

I've seen many other people do a better job at it, and I can see many things wrong with the guide that I won't bother listing. I actually said "inb4 atrium basing" in a thread way before this guide was made, so if anyone would be taking credit for the idea of basing in the atrium, it would be me (although I don't want to tell people "give me credit whenever atrium bases are mentioned" because that doesn't sound right. You can't really take a credit for an idea this broad and just say you're the first one to ever do it. It's like taking credit for bunnyman farms. It would be fine to say that about something that's harder to invent, like @EsaiXD's sanity station.

Willow. Get nightmare lights all around the place. Farm sanity from nightmare fuel. Do you want me to go on?

6 hours ago, Toxiqq said:

and freezing when cold

As an inferior meatbag, I freeze when cold.

And, humour me, I don't want even a little bit of fame. Funny crone, hm?

Seriously?  What school teaches a proprietary word-processing program?  I mean, not that knowing how to use it isn't useful but it's not .... well, it's not like computer-science.  Nor is it even as useful as a typing class.

{edit:  Sorry, that's really snarky for me.  My apologies.|}

4 minutes ago, absimiliard said:

Seriously?  What school teaches a proprietary word-processing program?  I mean, not that knowing how to use it isn't useful but it's not .... well, it's not like computer-science.  Nor is it even as useful as a typing class.

{edit:  Sorry, that's really snarky for me.  My apologies.|}

Teachers seem to believe they know computers better than we children do.

Archived