You should be able to name pets

31 minutes ago, ExtollerOfTrolls said:

I think certain words should be banned, though. I mean, I don't really want to come to a server and find a vargling named "V****na" greeting me.

People will find a way around that, but banning it directly is better than nothing.

Fun peoples arrived. Talking about banning before the feature is even a thing :|

I preffer cute old person names for my pets, but as you bring the subject: The day we all realize there is nothing different about parts of the body humans will evolve to next stage. I don't mind a kittycoon called "Arm", either. Even if it is a naked arm.

On the other "hand", there is total freedom for players names, I have 200+ people in my friends list and I can count with the fingers of one hand the times I've seen annoying or uneducated nicknames on my 10+ years using Steam. Maybe you have not been as lucky as me, but I can't remember the last time I saw someone with some genitalia reference on his nickname.

1 hour ago, ExtollerOfTrolls said:

I think certain words should be banned, though. I mean, I don't really want to come to a server and find a vargling named "V****na" greeting me.

People will find a way around that, but banning it directly is better than nothing.

Oh dear.

Hopefully the system would work better than Steam. You can report offensive nicks as often as you want and nothing changes.

Oet names would be fun. No idea if Klei has time for this, but whenever they can... Now, beefalos would be more pressing so that you can state which is getting domesticated into which variant. Pets despawn with the player, beefalos look pretty identical.

BUT! My priority is naming tentacles. So that I don't get to mourn my Wilfred as Jane Doe.

7 hours ago, ExtollerOfTrolls said:

Not sure if this is gonna be such a serious problem. People were always to name themselves whatever they want or write on signs or in chat whatever they want but I never really saw any trouble happening with that.

Nah, the tradition around my server is that the treeguards have really common boring names.  Steve, Bob, Dave etc.  So when you see a neutral one wandering around, you're like, "Hey Steve.  'Sup."  : P

(You can blame our own Kittydub for that one...I think she's the one who started it.  Hee.)

As for pets with offensive names...sure, it can happen, but so far I've hardly run into any users with bad names, so I'm thinking it might turn out to be about the same rarity for pets...?  We'll see if/when we get there.

Also totally up for a mod that lets you name them.  :)

...Notorious

9 hours ago, ExtollerOfTrolls said:

Gee, and I can't wait to name all those Treeguards who follow me back to base. Leif, and Leif, and Leif, and the other Leif, and their brother, Douglas.

I want to name my pet rock Patrick. Get it? Rock -> Rick? Get it?!?!?!

6 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

I was thinking about actually making a mod for this :)

I would contribute if necessary, though my experience with DST leaves much to be desired.

4 hours ago, minespatch said:

If they can implement a system similar to how Bunnymen and Pigmen have names, it could be possible for this to work.

There's already a "named" component perfectly suitable for this, and with "OnLoadPostPass" it should be possible to save and load names just fine. The biggest problem imo is making the collar write- and givable.

18 hours ago, Mobbstar said:

I want to name my pet rock Patrick. Get it? Rock -> Rick? Get it?!?!?!

No... But you could name your pet Rock Lobster that. But Rock Lobsters don't follow you above ground in DST...

I mean, I think a collar is a good idea. I guess I shouldn't be so quick to judge. My comment was a bit uncalled for, and I apologize. The DST crowd is pretty friendly, but I used to play TF2 and it gets kinda exhausting with them.

Maybe they could have a list of prearranged names suggested by users? You get a while to submit names, and the staff sorts through them, and one gets randomly picked for the pet, similar to the pigmen having random names?

2 minutes ago, ExtollerOfTrolls said:

Maybe they could have a list of prearranged names suggested by users? You get a while to submit names, and the staff sorts through them, and one gets randomly picked for the pet, similar to the pigmen having random names?

Devs made a pretty cool job with the random wooden sign texts :D something similar would be cool for these too lazy to find a name for their pets

On 1/3/2017 at 5:41 AM, mochilo said:

Fun peoples arrived. Talking about banning before the feature is even a thing :|

I preffer cute old person names for my pets, but as you bring the subject: The day we all realize there is nothing different about parts of the body humans will evolve to next stage. I don't mind a kittycoon called "Arm", either. Even if it is a naked arm.

On the other "hand", there is total freedom for players names, I have 200+ people in my friends list and I can count with the fingers of one hand the times I've seen annoying or uneducated nicknames on my 10+ years using Steam. Maybe you have not been as lucky as me, but I can't remember the last time I saw someone with some genitalia reference on his nickname.

Got to think of the kids playing, mate. :)

Am I the only one here who noticed two kitchen related categories clashing together in a forum?

I doubt the developers will add name tags, I mean it's just a pet.

I don't even know why pets were added in first place, they contribute absolutely nothing to the gameplay, other than eating your food and the items required to summon them.

awkward.PNG

15 minutes ago, AlbertDelRiver said:

I don't even know why pets were added in first place, they contribute absolutely nothing to the gameplay, other than eating your food and the items required to summon them.

But they're cute.

(also, you don't really need to feed them, they never starve)

3 minutes ago, WishIHadAFridge said:

From what I heard, Gordon Ramsay is notorious for his swearing. Not the most child-friendly chap.

Eh, forgot I said anything.

You're correct.  But the topic was about kids seeing not-kid-friendly words INSIDE the video game. Not a picture of a non-kid-friendly guy on the forums. :) 

But yes, I agree. Let's just forget we ever mentioned this. :) 

15 hours ago, AlbertDelRiver said:

Oh right, the only cool thing in DS world is being Wolfgang and looking for items that make you stronker every day. You can also play the game on 16 colours so it works better and you don't have to deal with the fancy aesthetic changes from different seassons and times of the day. Or even better, just play it on black & white and delete all NPC (and playable characters) skins so the only thing you see is boxes of different sizes with their numeric info and no other unuseful data coming into your eyes.

Ok, now for the serious reader: pets have had names forever in all kind of games and it was always a really cool feature for these players who want to use it. Why would you even bother about a feature you don't use? There is people who enjoy their cute noisy unuseful pets! hard to believe, huh? And no one of these players will force you to use them too. And yeah, many pets in the world have a name even when these are "just a pet". So it's a fair suggestion and a more than possible feature to be added :)

Archived