Gritty Reboots - Don't Starve Movie Trailer [UNOFFICIAL]

4 hours ago, minespatch said:

S C I E N C E   W I L L   S A V E   U S

8 hours ago, Zeruul said:

Building science machine while having Wickerbottom on the team. NotLikeThis

8a9.jpg

How the hell did I not notice that. 

6 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Cheesy as it is, this is just BONKERS to see all this stuff from the game in live-action, physical 3D form (other than, ya know, the toys that already exist from the Klei store), and the effort that went into it...!

Of course, this also brings with it the problem that a lot of cartoony things have when  you _do_ translate them into physical live-action form:  Lots of what looks cool in a drawing looks downright goofy in real life.  Examples include Wilson's hair, how Woodie's beard OBVIOUSLY wasn't attached to his sideburns and especially Maxwell's shoulder thingies.  (Also why did he have a tail...?)  And with that makeup and the slicked-back hair, I kept thinking of the Master of Ceremonies from "Cabaret".  : P (Which may not be a bad thing.) 

Actually...now that I think about it, Maxwell looked like Adventure-Mode Maxwell--starting to look more definitely demony as you go further along.  As "Waxwell", I would've toned down the make up and shoulder spikes a LOT.  Like a lot a lot.  But I do like Wendy calling him "Uncle", and how spot-on the spear looked.  (Somebody turned on PvP, I see!)  He was good casting though, having even a similar nose...not quite tall enough but you can't really do much about that besides lifts in the shoes.  (And seriously, why the tail?)

Basically a lot of what Hollywood tends to do when turning a cartoon or comic-book thing into live-action would've helped here.  Tone down the goofy shapes, have your superhero wear some other tougher, more textured futuristic fabric instead of ACTUALLY spandex, make the anime character's hair-spikes shorter and more reasonable...that kind of thing. Where you get the idea, but it's not literally _note for note_ translated.

The bit with the shadow creatures was well done, and I love Abigail's "I'M'A GO GET IT!" when the Deerclops started heavy-breathing (a sound that always creeps me out in-game). Especially since on my most recent singleplayer game, THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT SHE DID and I couldn't safely retrieve her flower until spring.  (laugh)  And gah, Woodie's beaver transformation!  So cheesy and yet bloody at the same time.  I also like the idea that it was the smell/sight of the tree sap that triggered it...like with a werewolf and blood...

Willow was wicked-awesome and exactly what I expected, though.  Her lighter was GINOURMOUS, more like a watering-can for fire than a lighter, but the "GODDESS OF HELLFIRE" scene was badass.

All that aside, does Don't Starve really NEED a "gritty reboot"?  It's already pretty dark, and I'm personally against this trend of "rebooting" things that are only a few years old. 

;)

Seriously though, TONS of effort and coordination must've gone into this and I applaud the _spirit_ of how they translated the drawings literally, even when it does look goofy.  Kudos to the people who made it, even if it isn't quite exactly how I would've done.

...Notorious

I think that the issues were mostly line deliveries and some of the text/acting, imo at least, these were the deal breakers. The Maxwell casting is wonderful however and I agree on most points. There's also how a lot of this can look good in a real life setting(Maxwell's tux spikes can be shrunk a little for example).

Also Woodie was as solid as it can get.

The scene where Willow is torching the forest is the highlight of the short film for me. Three things that bugged me was Wickerbottom stating that she dreamed, the fact that Wilson built a science machine despite Wickerbottom being with them and that it was partially built using gears. Other than that I enjoyed it and can appreciate the effort that went into making it.

I really like how Wilson is at the end of the animation(probably survived with fireflies and thats why he's trying to recover sanity) and then he finds a tallbird...In the desert,but thats fine anyways.

Also how the characters were hating Maxwell even having the portal there,The one from charlie which means that this guys probably knew about the cyclum puzzle,specially if they knew about Maxwell being Wendy's uncle made me think that maybe on the story the events of the cyclum puzzle happened but at the end the other characters convinced Wilson to abandon Maxwell.

The rest its just glorious,the DIRTY EVIL BIRD scene,the fire scene,and i also really liked that clockwork knight hidden on the scene where Wilson finds some gears.

Also,this is just a trailer of a MOVIE? How long will it be? I don't really like movies but i'll be changing my dragonfruit farm for a corn one to make enough popcorn for it.

On a nutshell,amazing animation,i'd take my hat off if i had one.

1 minute ago, Wexton said:

Also,this is just a trailer of a MOVIE? How long will it be? I don't really like movies but i'll be changing my dragonfruit farm for a corn one to make enough popcorn for it.

"Fan trailer". The channel makes hypothetical movie trailers but nothing else. Though the concepts they prompt are fun, like the Calvin and Hobbes gritty edition.

This was pretty neat, but a few things kinda made me cringe. They seemed to have gotten Wickerbottom all wrong. She seems like a nice old lady in the game. I could see her getting cranky now and then, but to be just downright hateful of Wendy for no good reason... that just doesn't feel right at all. Wilson also just seemed a bit... off I guess. Not exactly sure if that was due to the writing, the actor's performance or just Wilson being a really weird character to translate into live action. He just felt rather awkward.

Although Willow and Woodie were perfect. I enjoyed just about every scene that had them in it.

Also, there was no Wes. 0/10 (That part was a joke. I actually found this to be pretty good despite having mixed feelings about it)

This video is literally filled with little jokes and pokes about Don't Starve. My favourite of which was when they said in the behind-the-scenes: "They only eat the frog legs, and the rest of the frog is... discarded or just never spoke of in the game." What I mean is in the video when Wickerbottom makes the meatballs, you can see them tear the legs of the frogs and just... vanish the rest of the frog.

Which I found really amusing. I've never really noticed that.

BTS video:

Behind-The-Scenes

Yeah...I can't believe the building-a-science-machine-while-having-Wickerbottom-there thing never occurred to me! : P 

Also, although Abigail's voice fit the personality she seems to have guessing from the way her AI acts...I don't think that really worked at all, for me.  She didn't sound even remotely ghostly or creepy...they could've at least put an echo-effect on her to make her sound far away or something.  Also I've always pictured her murmuring, soft and eerie, almost at the same pitch as the insanity-whispering, in such a way that only Wendy could hear her.  And she doesn't talk before going after something...she just KILLS (or gets killed).  Which, again, is way more spooky.

Of course,  hearing ANYbody speak out loud in normal words is kinda weird for this game.  Heh.  It's like having a Sim speak plain English...you just don't _do_ that!

...Notorious

30 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Yeah...I can't believe the building-a-science-machine-while-having-Wickerbottom-there thing never occurred to me! : P 

Also, although Abigail's voice fit the personality she seems to have guessing from the way her AI acts...I don't think that really worked at all, for me.  She didn't sound even remotely ghostly or creepy...they could've at least put an echo-effect on her to make her sound far away or something.  Also I've always pictured her murmuring, soft and eerie, almost at the same pitch as the insanity-whispering, in such a way that only Wendy could hear her.  And she doesn't talk before going after something...she just KILLS (or gets killed).  Which, again, is way more spooky.

Of course,  hearing ANYbody speak out loud in normal words is kinda weird for this game.  Heh.  It's like having a Sim speak plain English...you just don't _do_ that!

...Notorious

I build a Science Machine with Wicker... Gives her Alchemy for so much cheaper. What's the issue...

9 hours ago, Donke60 said:

If this was a gritty reboot and I was suppose to take it somewhat seriously I failed miserably I couldn't stop laughing especially on the werebeaver transformation part, comedy gold.

Wait. I wasn't meant to keep cackling?

#FeelsAwkwardMilord

Archived