The good, the bad, and the Willow

If I may add my own (most likely worthless) two cents, I had a couple ideas for Willow buffs.  Firstly, I was thinking that maybe Willow's lighter would keep the durability but could gradually regenerate over time when not being used. My other idea was that maybe when used as a weapon, Willow's lighter could light mobs on fire like a fire staff or a fire dart. The fire would only deal 30% of the damage though which I think would be like 30-50 damage, but would prevent the mob from setting nearby things on fire while running around and also prevent drops from turning to ashes if the mob was killed from the fire damage.

(Edit: Meant to mention that it would still work like a melee weapon and not ranged, in case that wasn't clear.)

25 minutes ago, Billiscool said:

I thought I'd share this.

Hide contents

I used a spiky bush to ignite the items so they would all have an equal burn time.

*Rope is optimal for this type of sanity farm, it burns for 30 seconds while most things burn for 15 seconds or less.

So this still works, eh? Nice one.

edit:

If I may add my own (most likely worthless) two cents, I had a couple ideas for Willow buffs.  Firstly, I was thinking that maybe Willow's lighter would keep the durability but could gradually regenerate over time when not being used. My other idea was that maybe when used as a weapon, Willow's lighter could light mobs on fire like a fire staff or a fire dart. The fire would only deal 30% of the damage though which I think would be like 30-50 damage, but would prevent the mob from setting nearby things on fire while running around and also prevent drops from turning to ashes if the mob was killed from the fire damage.

We discussed a similar idea.

We came to a conclusion that Wolfgang and Wigfrid are still better combat-wise. There has to be something that Willow can do that others really can't (unless with help of some really rare item), but fighting isn't it.

Wait, you can sanity-farm with Willow like that in DST? Wow, that's quite impressive... Though still, recovering sanity in DS and DST isn't that difficult, so really it's just a set up for Willows specifically, which will take longer to make, but saves time in the future. Also, with Scalemail you could simply stand in the fire as Willow and regain it a tad bit quicker with less items needing to be burnt.

I realized that her perks are perfect, she can't be as good as wicker or Wolfgang because she isn't them! She could be as good as wigfrid, but only that she can make Bernie's who protect anyone from nightmares. As for her freezing - everyone has a downside! (Wilson is balanced, and Wes is just Wes)

I dont care anymore, if you guys don't like playing as her, that's fine, I am just sick of all this debating and these dumb topics how to 'rebalance' willow. This is just silly, because she is OP in being team oriented by having starting  light, cooking ability and a teddybear that had 1000 hp to protect from any nightmare!

These were my last words here, and I wish you good luck on debating in this black hole of despair ^_^

1 hour ago, Mantas said:

This topic is total cancer, I realized that her perks are perfect, she can't be as good as wicker or Wolfgang because she isn't them! She could be as good as wigfrid, but only that she can make Bernie's who protect anyone from nightmares. As for her freezing - everyone has a downside! (Wilson is balanced, and Wes is just Wes)

I dont care anymore, if you guys don't like playing as her, that's fine, I am just sick of all this debating and these dumb topics how to 'rebalance' willow. This is just silly, because she is OP in being team oriented by having starting  light, cooking ability and a teddybear that had 1000 hp to protect from any nightmare!

These were my last words here, and I wish you good luck on debating in this black hole of despair ^_^

Refrain from using words such as "cancer" in this topic. Thats what these discussions are for, so that we can throw/toss ideas around to see if klei will have a profound interest and swing with it. If you didn't wanna continue this discussion, you didn't necessarily have to announce to everyone that you cannot handle a civil discussion. 

Furthermore, I believe its good that many people are replying to this topic as it does give a lot of good ideas on how to improve Willow and how to make her viable. So thank you to whoever contributed to this topic; I read every response, and you guys are pretty creative!

1 hour ago, SuperPsiPower said:

Refrain from using words such as "cancer" in this topic. Thats what these discussions are for, so that we can throw/toss ideas around to see if klei will have a profound interest and swing with it. If you didn't wanna continue this discussion, you didn't necessarily have to announce to everyone that you cannot handle a civil discussion. 

Furthermore, I believe its good that many people are replying to this topic as it does give a lot of good ideas on how to improve Willow and how to make her viable. So thank you to whoever contributed to this topic; I read every response, and you guys are pretty creative!

Sorry guys, I was a little nervous today of things happening, and when I get a little cranky I do or write dumb stuff like that. You guys are creative! I am not used to talking in forums about these things, I do hope to learn better, and maybe control the cranky part.

I am so sorry ;-;

6 hours ago, Mantas said:

Sorry guys, I was a little nervous today of things happening, and when I get a little cranky I do or write dumb stuff like that. You guys are creative! I am not used to talking in forums about these things, I do hope to learn better, and maybe control the cranky part.

I am so sorry ;-;

We all screw up. Even PSI has, it's human nature. Don't worry about it and just make sure to keep a positive vibe when posting! :wilsoalmostangelic:

No more Willow love? I'll share my half a burned cent here:

From the ideas that have been thrown and a few new ones:

• Lighter provides light as a regular torch. Because of point 2.

• Anyone can recharge the lighter with ashes, each ash restoring 25% of its capability. This makes it fairly cheap to recharge, more cost effective than torches (as you can turn anything you have extra of into ashes), and makes it a "much more versatile" torch that Willow could provide others with, the same way Wigfrid shares her helmets being a "more hp version" of football helmets.

• Willow is fire innmune again , it fits her and adds more playability to her, by for example setting enemies on fire and still being able to stand right next to them striking. It doesn't actually prevent griefing as her anyway. It also makes you feel better that you are immune to something the other character's aren't.

• Willow, given that is fire immune again, can put out fires using her hands.... Yup you read it right, but please do keep reading before stabbing my eye with that spoon you are aiming at me accusingly...
    Whereas all the other characters can put out smoldering objects with their hands taking damage, Willow should also put out blazing (already on fire) objects with her hands. But of course she's "the firestarter" not the "firestopper" so putting out flames, both smoldering and blazing, will cost her sanity (5 for smoldering, 10 for blazing). She also should transfer to the object she just put out a 3-4 seconds fire immunity to prevent insta-blazing again, for gameplay mecanics. Willow will most likely NOT replace a flingomatic, but it can help in certain situations and it would give her a limited, actual anti-griefing power.

• Leave bernie alone! Q_Q.. leave him alone! (I think its pretty decent as it is)

• Freezing when insane seems to me like a cool gameplay mechanic that needs some numbers tweaks to make it "perfect".
    Below 10 sanity Willow should be effectively immune to overheat (think of it as how WX gets its internal temp stuck on 10 degrees when overcharged), and when insane in general, will need to constantly keep a warm thermal stone with her in order to compensate the temp loss, making it somewhat annoying but not "unplayable". As it was mentioned before being insane is punishment enough, and would fit the character: You go around in the worst of the summer, trying to survive and not overheat with your umbrella and endothermic fire pit, and you see a magnificent insane Willow, wearing a winter hat, heating a thermal stone and fighting shadow creatures, just to not get affected by summer's overheat.

(laughs) That's an epic mental image.  Yeah, I've never played Together-Willow long enough to _get_ to a summer, but I've always imagined basically this totally insane woman, roaming around the landscape whacking at things nobody else can see with a spear. The good news is, if you're careful you can avoid overheating!  The bad news is that you'll have to see washed-out colours, creepy wavy lines and constant shadow-creatures for almost AN ENTIRE SEASON to do it.

Although would she still need the warm thermal stone in the summer?  You'd think THAT time of year, the insanity-freezing would be just enough to keep her from dying of _heatstroke_.

Still, I like that idea.  Kinda the mirror of when I recently killed myself off via overheating...in the WINTER.  And yes, as Willow. :D  (It was worth it to see everybody else go "What?!"  "No way!" when the death message came up, alone. : P)

...Notorious

24 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Although would she still need the warm thermal stone in the summer?  You'd think THAT time of year, the insanity-freezing would be just enough to keep her from dying of _heatstroke_.

Well a new mechanic should probably be given to her than when she's holding the stone in her inventory while insane, it actually slowly lowers its temperature, but yeah during summer just by tossing the stone to the ground would probably re-heat...

I see this "protection" more of a late joiner or emergency escape from a dire overheat situation she can use, or just plain because you want to go full Willow and dance in the middle of burning woods.

And that is THE WHOLE POINT OF WILLOW, that you can stand right in the middle of a blazing forest fire, put your hands on your hips, tilt your head back and LAUGH, while the destruction rages around you!  Even if it confers no real advantage at the time, that's totally the thing I find the most fun about playing as her!  In more practical terms, I like the wimpy but making up for it by being infinite light source, and the way she can actually GAIN sanity by standing next to a campfire at night...the way I usually end up doing at night anyway.

Obviously, you may have noticed, I'm talking about the _original_ version here.  Sigh.  Willow is pretty much the character I MAIN in Don't Starve Alone...but in Together, I found myself having so little reason to actually pick her, and sadly scrolling past her so often, that...it made me eventually break down and get the Willow the Unnerfed mod.  AND start using mods in my up-until-then-"purist" game, at all...

But seriously, being able to use a _forest fire_ for warmth on the long way back to camp when it suddenly goes winter and you forgot to bring your hat along, is flippin' epic.  :D  I've done it before and I'll do it again (in singleplayer.  Others might want the trees as wood, not charcoal, in Together.)

Also YES! to the putting out actual flames with her hands but losing sanity thing. Lately, I have been driven _nuts_ more than once by my not getting to smouldering things in time and despite my best efforts, losing the entire camp anyway!  And I was really close by when they started smouldering, too. If any character could put them out sans ice or whatever when they're already in the _flame_ stage, it'd DEFINITELY help.

...Notorious

2 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Willow, given that is fire immune again, can put out fires using her hands.... Yup you read it right, but please do keep reading before stabbing my eye with that spoon you are aiming at me accusingly...

Uhh, she can put out smoldering already my dude. :p 

On 9.08.2016 at 10:31 AM, AnonymousKoala said:

Honestly, for lighter I think it should've stayed infinite(since as it stands there's no reason really to take it over a torch once it runs out), but if its too far away from willow for too long, it just despawns and jumps into her inventory. 

I think instead of lighter being infinite, it should not use fuel when used by Willow. If lighter would be infinite, it would be kinda op since everyone would have infinite torches. But if only Willow has it, that's justified and completly fine.

14 hours ago, Chris1488 said:

Uhh, she can put out smoldering already my dude. :p 

I know :p But if she's fire immune again as I suggested, then she'd loose sanity instead of health when doing that. AND also I mentioned that she could put out blazing things, I mean, stuff that already are on fire, with her hands as you would with smoldering things with other characters. Other players can't put out stuff already on fire, unless they have water baloons or an active flingo at range. She wouldn't need that, but she'd pay in sanity.

14 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I know :p But if she's fire immune, I meant that she'd loose sanity instead of health. AND i mentioned that she could put out blazing things, I mean stuff that already are on fire, with her hands as you would with smoldering things with other characters. Other players can't put out stuff already on fire, unless they have water baloons or a flingo. She wouldn't need that, but she'd pay in sanity.

Her resistance still works on smoldering I believe. As in, she doesnt get damaged by putting them out.

15 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Her resistance still works on smoldering I believe. As in, she doesnt get damaged by putting them out.

Yup, in her current state she does resist it entirely, given that its among the 3 seconds. My idea is more of a trade-off that balances out and makes sense with her being 100% immune again: she can put out smoldering things and stuff on fire with her bare hands, (due to her extensive fire knowledge and fire immunity) but any of these things would damage her sanity, as its something a willow wouldn't really like to do... (smoldering 5 sanity, stuff on fire 10 or 15 sanity).
I have tested some of these stuff and noticed that even if you put out a fire it instantly catches fire again, thats why I added that gameplay-wise the stuff she puts out, should stay fire immune for at least 5 - 6 seconds, otherwise it'd be a useless skill.

Lore wise, since its DST, I guess she values friendship over burning the world, and would choose to (temporally) take a hit for the group and save that crock pot so everyone can eat and still like her, even if it makes her a little more insane...

....unless for now, until the voices command her to burn all her friends.

Archived