EF2F592C6674CF945291EAC18D1D39E47674BB59

Description: Isn't it obvious?

The "stranger's" potato cup:

86E3FE12694004B551B4CDDFCD855791EC5E319E

Seems harmless at first, picking the potato cup will result in:

FC7F604F978573E0E2A89A99D67C39F29CA13DD3

Night light prototype:

628B0D4265078379CBB25189D51C36AD782753A6

Description: Because the night light isn't very useful making it a set piece would be kinda cool.

The rider and hes beefalo:

DA38DC6521D10804272359604AFDAEC0BF506AD1

Description: Whatever happened here killed both of them...

The farmer's accident:

3DC67260DBE1EA0C0B709C7C5D2725AE5043B271

Description: Who or what killed him and his farm?

I think all of these new set pieces would be pretty cool.

but I don't know about the last one, cause a newbie who doesn't know about the burnt farms and such being a set piece might judge the server as a griefed server or what not, but I really do like all of these set pieces. c: (Then again at least I wouldn't need a tele-o-cator staff/weather pain to get rid of said newbie)

What if picking up the potato cup made you unable to light a fire for a small duration These set ups are really... well, I don't want to say "cute". That seems like the wrong word. Perhaps... beautifully presented?

None of them seem to be much use, but then again... neither are most of the actual in-game set pieces. Hahah... At least a lot of them are salvageable for resources if you have a hammer. ^^ I do like the idea of Night Lights being used in a natural world spawn, as they are pretty... useless to craft unless you go spelunking often and have a lot of resources to combat insanity.

I like the farm one though! It's so wonderfully put together?? I'm sorry I just love how symmetrical it feels. asdfsghfdkf

But the garden...the garden just seems terrifying.

NXj7t22.png

Even the bird in your screenshot was like "ah hell naw..."

16 minutes ago, WPH said:

What if picking up the potato cup made you unable to light a fire for a small duration These set ups are really... well, I don't want to say "cute". That seems like the wrong word. Perhaps... beautifully presented?

None of them seem to be much use, but then again... neither are most of the actual in-game set pieces. Hahah... At least a lot of them are salvageable for resources if you have a hammer. ^^ I do like the idea of Night Lights being used in a natural world spawn, as they are pretty... useless to craft unless you go spelunking often and have a lot of resources to combat insanity.

I like the farm one though! It's so wonderfully put together?? I'm sorry I just love how symmetrical it feels. asdfsghfdkf

But the garden...the garden just seems terrifying.

NXj7t22.png

Even the bird in your screenshot was like "ah hell naw..."

Thank you... I also have some others i have made but i thought they are to... ugh... Overpowered? in a way:

The poop-tacular gathering:

38310E5212F7E498C22D50922B643FC104C8B884

Description: Poop much?

The fashion center:

3A3C27CFFAA2AE06F95131DB0D53D36C14F54311

Description: Sorry for the darkness. This isn't much use really but i thought: "whatever!"

The banishment!:

A78077007D402F7D742E3203A554DBADBF01EDD3

Description: "You are an abomination against all of nature's creation!" -Maxwell

Eyes on the sky next time:

CB6D85D70665C8CB7DF930F620C682F80045BC13

Description: "What's that noise"?

The sacred tree:

4FA8588C043A273C9FD88205C06619DA524FCD43

Description: This is my favorite, but it's to 'big' in a way, anyways the story is the pigmen have made offerings to this tree (as seen by the trinket) the Pig guards are protecting the tree from people who would want to harm this tree, maybe this is Pig King's real boss?

I like them all(second post a bit less), but about night lights:

"Because the night light isn't very useful" Don't be talkin' smack of my sexy lights boi

"Because the night light isn't very useful" Don't be talkin' smack of my sexy lights boi

I like set pieces that either pose as an unforeseen but relevant trap or as a balance trade off, or an encounter that requires a method to counter and gain the loot, for example winter traps give good winter loot if you come back on day 1 of winter but can be disasters if activated unknowingly. More set pieces will most definitely be interesting to both world building and replayablity. ideally ones that dramatically change ways of the game would be very good, like winter traps and summer traps can cause a very interesting situation on multiplayer servers.

We already have boons, random dead skellingtons with some loot, maybe they could add random signs pointing to no where in particular with maybe funny messages or just nothing on them. could cause some confusion on multiplayer but that would be fun and interesting.

Really any set pieces will be better to just to make each world feel more unique.

38 minutes ago, GiddyGuy said:
  Reveal hidden contents

No potato cup offering, 6 outta 9

32 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

20 minutes ago, Haroldman said:

I like set pieces that either pose as an unforeseen but relevant trap or as a balance trade off, or an encounter that requires a method to counter and gain the loot, for example winter traps give good winter loot if you come back on day 1 of winter but can be disasters if activated unknowingly. More set pieces will most definitely be interesting to both world building and replayablity. ideally ones that dramatically change ways of the game would be very good, like winter traps and summer traps can cause a very interesting situation on multiplayer servers.

We already have boons, random dead skellingtons with some loot, maybe they could add random signs pointing to no where in particular with maybe funny messages or just nothing on them. could cause some confusion on multiplayer but that would be fun and interesting.

Really any set pieces will be better to just to make each world feel more unique.

31 minutes ago, Soto8969 said:

You don't offer the Potato Cup,You offer TO the Potato Cup

Some ol' ones i had lying around:

The fisher's cabin:

AB56222832958AB8BA0CB17AE7823D67CCA98550

Description: This guy must've been gone for quite a while, eh?

The suspicious tentacle:

36161AC876FF90F2779D498F506C22153E5EA93A

Description: Hey a trinket i can sell this to the pig kin-

C65667C76EA0FFC535887879256CAA9D2AAFFA7A

Just kidding you're dead (Picking it up will spawns tentacles around, you will have a bit of time to run away!)

I always felt like the game wasn't taking advantage of the scenario system enough.

How about "pseudo-traps"? You know, setpieces that look (almost or entirely) identical to traps but are in fact not (or barerly) trapped. (e.g. the suspicious tentacle would spawn a couple tentacles at most, letting any faintly careful player escape unharmed)

More or less, pretty much, none of these are even remotely good set pieces. Set pieces need to be distinguished, elegantly cooked with care and good concept and ideas behind them. And not some random "hei, that's a really meme pun! I'm gonna make that into a DS/DST set piece!" *plop* and garbage came out.

I'm sorry, but t'is not gud enuff!

Edit: Actually, that spider one is quite good. Though, it needs to be bigger, with more wooden walls, tier 2 and 3 spider dens instead of tier 1 and with a special black and webbed sign saying "Spiderville". Then it will be delicious!

27 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

More or less, pretty much, none of these are even remotely good set pieces. Set pieces need to be distinguished, elegantly cooked with care and good concept and ideas behind them. And not some random "hei, that's a really meme pun! I'm gonna make that into a DS/DST set piece!" *plop* and garbage came out.

I'm sorry, but t'is not gud enuff!

Edit: Actually, that spider one is quite good. Though, it needs to be bigger, with more wooden walls, tier 2 and 3 spider dens instead of tier 1 and with a special black and webbed sign saying "Spiderville". Then it will be delicious!

I mean, the dead beefalo rider one is pretty good, as long as the saddle has like, 1 or 2 more uses and isn't 100% intact.

54 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

YOU WANNA HAVE A BAD TOM!?!

Aduduaduaduede Aduduaduaduede Aduduaduaduede Aduduaduaduede 

sorry, I needed to

What about Character freezing trap?

Like, an Icebox in the middle of nowhere. Whoever opens it gets body temperature set to 0º.

Or even a Overheating that sets body temperature to 75º

That would fill the space left by the removal of the Summer/Winter trap

Nice visual aids to sell the ideas in here, I really like. I wholeheartedly support the subtle jab at the devs with the redcap / potato cup idea.

Had an idea for one myself that got lost in the suggestion subforum. Essentially it's a nightmare amulet set piece for the overworld which acts like the nightmare spawners in the caves (without the calm phase downtime). It will continue to act as one until someone picks it up, at which point it would temporarily set your sanity to zero and act as if you were wearing the amulet for a pre-defined duration.

^ I'm particularly curious how people would treat it, leave it on the ground as a free way to farm nightmare creatures or a nuisance that would need to be picked up ASAP.

Edit: Seeing that basalt one got me to thinking maybe a Don't Starve version of Stonehenge would also be pretty cool, and maybe we could retool the night light suggestion to be a Maxwell light to get that back in the game.

6 hours ago, spiderdian said:

Like, an Icebox in the middle of nowhere. Whoever opens it gets body temperature set to 0º.

This. Is. Genius. Why did Klei not think of this before!? I would love something like this in game!

7 hours ago, spiderdian said:

It could also affect the entire map for a while, so people burn/freeze a bit.

5 minutes ago, Lukmendes said:

It could also affect the entire map for a while, so people burn/freeze a bit.

That's the reason the Summer/Winter traps were removed in the first place. No one would be prepared for a sudden change in temperature. That's why @spiderdian's idea is good, it only affects the one opening the chest. And on most occasions, the player opening the chest would know exactly what's coming to them.

53 minutes ago, Chris1488 said:

That's the reason the Summer/Winter traps were removed in the first place. No one would be prepared for a sudden change in temperature. That's why @spiderdian's idea is good, it only affects the one opening the chest. And on most occasions, the player opening the chest would know exactly what's coming to them.

I didn't say for it to be activated for an entire season, just something like a minute or so, that way the summer and winter traps would still be there, only very partialy.

5 minutes ago, Lukmendes said:

I didn't say for it to be activated for an entire season, just something like a minute or so, that way the summer and winter traps would still be there, only very partialy.

Still, it would be enough to kill an unprepared player. Just let it be one person.

21 hours ago, Lukmendes said:

The Summer/Winter trap was actually the only trap that affected the whole server, all others only affect the player who triggers it. I think it's not very multiplayer friendly to have a trap that can potentially kill 90% of a server.

5 hours ago, spiderdian said:

a trap that can potentially kill 90% of a server.

Not just the players, the whole server including hardware XD

I guess the new trap you are suggesting could temporary wither or... "freeze" plants.

Archived