THE MAXCONOMY!

Fidooop

Get it? Maxwell + Economy? Huh?... Just me?... ok...

I think this thread could start a nice little subforum specifically made for people interested in trading!

So, what I want to do is step forward for the 'Maxconomy' and help lead the community to a nice happy fun trading place where we can all trade up to the items we are looking for without 3 months of pure grinding!

We do not want this fun game to turn into an inflation party like Team Fortress 2... We want nice simple basic trading while trying to keep regularly occurring item's prices the same. Limited time items may change in price as well as SUPER DUPER INSANELY rare items that you have a 1/10,000 chance to get if Klei ever decides to make special items that way... *shivers*

As a base currency just for now we can use common items!

Here's a spreadsheet I've set up for prices

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qvbp39IHm9CJSdtzJGJf1vqdqr5HjOj7-D9fzUy8YQc/edit#gid=0

These prices aren't set in stone or anything they were just a random guess for me... overtime we will get the correct prices by communicating amungst ourselves to try and get something fair and fun!

What I want this thread to be all about is conversing back and forth about how much each item costs. Hopefully overtime we will be able to nicely pinpoint and narrow down the perfect prices that the whole community agrees on! :D

(The below is just some information for Steam newbies to make their lives easier.)

The best way to make trades would be to go to a person's Steam profile and over in the top right side of the page you'll see a "More" button that when clicked shows a list of options... Click "Offer a Trade..." If you can't do that then you'll have to add the person to your friends list or they have to change their privacy options to allow nonfriends to send them trade requests! If you don't like trade requests then people will have to befriend you and trade with you directly.

I kind of understand where you're coming from you demon bird lover. I've talked with alot of people, especially the modders, who have only ever played DST. Some of them are vehemently opposed to trying the original game...
Well now that clothing items in the game why would you want to play the single player game anyway when you could be playing the game that gives you clothing items while you play?

Honestly I wouldn't want this beautiful game with it's great community to end up like the Team Fortress 2 Community. I had the smallest thought of this "economy" thing happening as soon as I heard that the new clothes were gonna be tradeable, but didn't think this community would go so far. Personally I would like to keep it as it's own thing and as it is, but if the community agrees as a whole then so be it.

Honestly I wouldn't want this beautiful game with it's great community to end up like the Team Fortress 2 Community. I had the smallest thought of this "economy" thing happening as soon as I heard that the new clothes were gonna be tradeable, but didn't think this community would go so far. Personally I would like to keep it as it's own thing and as it is, but if the community agrees as a whole then so be it.

The point of jumping on it now is to give us total control over it! Not like Team Fortress 2 that went to total chaos the SECOND the F2P update hit...

How bout the drops become less like tf2, and more just sort of an overtime unlockables thing, I'm not fond of the idea that people are going to shanghai the system for the first few days turning insane profits over digital socks. The whole point of the idea was to diversify player appearance so if four people all decided to play wilson they wouldn't look exactly the same, putting it up like it is now makes it more of a status symbol thing like tf2. I move we scrap the sock simulator and return to the idea of character skins, frog webber 2k15

I don't see how you can just decide value: the community will do that as players get items.

The reason items have 'value' in TF2 is because you can do something with them, or sell them for Steam wallet funds. Without a real use for common DS items, having more than one is pointless. 

It's too early to tell for something like this. 

I don't see how you can just decide value: the community will do that as players get items.

The reason items have 'value' in TF2 is because you can do something with them, or sell them for Steam wallet funds. Without a real use for common DS items, having more than one is pointless. 

not exactly... there is 1 use... getting all the DST items! like I know quite a few of you do...

Well the original TF2 trading market (ref, keys, buds) even was just estimates, standards where you could sell stuff for cheaper or a little bit more. Even when I sell unwanted items (recently, it's been duplicate or cheaper weapon skins) for a couple or 1 cent less.

As with all systematic incentive programs, the market faces a number of problems. The items are already tradable, and this is unlikely to change. Were they non-tradable and instead unlocked over time sequentially, then certain items would have more merit by the sequence of their possession. If items were unlocked randomly but were never duplicates and were not tradable, players' ambitions would be stymied by the apparent lack of control over their cosmetics. Some may argue the drops should not be such a focus of the playerbase, but each individual is entitled to their own focus.

This current market economy is what gives players some level of control, even if it is just illusory. Other players set the prices, and while this can lead to massive inflation, it is by supply and demand this occurs. Most players claim all clothing is dropping at equal rates (except for the backpacks). As such, the most sought-after items are for their cosmetic appeal rather than their drop rates. This differs substantially from TF2's rarity-based economy, with rarely-dropped items calling for extreme prices.

Don't Starve Together's clothing economy is still very new. At this point in time, with so little trading experience to observe, it is both unwise and unfair to try and set market prices for this item and that. For now, trading should continue unmoderated but closely observed. Only with careful observation can an accurate market be outlined.

For those who don't know me, I've been a member since Christmas 2012, but I haven't been as active in the past year due to this funny thing called life. It's good to be back (though I'm still waiting on the triumphant return of the Pelontrix).

Most players claim all clothing is dropping at equal rates (except for the backpacks).

I'm not sure about that. I assume by inference to the naming convention of the tiers that common is more probable than classy. Though, there is a wider spread of possibility among the common items, so any one particular common item might be less probable than a particular classy item, depending on exactly how their system works of course. 

For those who don't know me, I've been a member since Christmas 2012, but I haven't been as active in the past year due to this funny thing called life. It's good to be back (though I'm still waiting on the triumphant return of the Pelontrix).

I am your senior by 20 days, December 06 2012  :wilson_cool: 

I hope this doesn't derail the thread too much, but I'm curious who the oldest - still active - member is (aside from devs of course, nobody cares about them :razz:)

I'm not sure about that. I assume by inference to the naming convention of the tiers that common is more probable than classy. Though, there is a wider spread of possibility among the common items, so any one particular common item might be less probable than a particular classy item, depending on exactly how their system works of course. 

This is what many people initially thought too. However, many people are reporting an equally wide distribution of higher-ranking items and common ones. It is just the desirability of these high-ranking items that makes people instinctively think they are rarer.

This is what many people initially thought too. However, many people are reporting an equally wide distribution of higher-ranking items and common ones. It is just the desirability of these high-ranking items that makes people instinctively think they are rarer.

What? I've read every post relating to skins on the forums and I've seen no such reports. Maybe it just feels like rare skins are dropping frequently because there are so many posts about them, but that might just be because rare skins are exciting and newsworthy; nobody is rushing to the forums to share news of their sweet new t-shirt drop. I mean, the word "common" should be a pretty good indicator of their relative rarity, but simply perusing through a few people's steam inventories shows exactly what you'd expect -- that common items are common, and rare items are rare. 

Archived