SKINS! SKINS! SKINS! HYPE!

Typically I dislike it when developers put out skins for money, because it's often a case of the developers trying to make a quick buck off of the people they already ripped off with an underdeveloped game (something that's become more and more popular ever since DLC became a thing). Also, the skins themselves are often unoriginal.

HOWEVER, I feel the opposite about this situation. If the skins cost money, I will gladly buy them. Klei is one of the few developers I've known that's big enough to have a large following but small enough to be intimate with their fans. They already give a lot to us for free. The stuff that DOES cost money is more than worth it, and even the game itself is very modestly priced compared to many other games out there.

Plus, as somebody who knows how time consuming it can be to draw even a simple figure, I think a price would be justified by the artist's work alone. A lot of the time, artists can be overlooked and underpaid. I'm sure Klei pays their artists well, but that money's gotta come from somewhere. So I would gladly pay for skins. :)

Just make sure they're all Willow skins, please :)

I actually want a Willow skin with Wilson hair though.

and vice versa

Typically I dislike it when developers put out skins for money, because it's often a case of the developers trying to make a quick buck off of the people they already ripped off with an underdeveloped game (something that's become more and more popular ever since DLC became a thing).
 so, the problem is not the aesthetic dlc in itself, it's the underlying crap game.

so, the problem is not the aesthetic dlc in itself, it's the underlying crap game.

Yes, at the most basic level the skins themselves typically have no issues. As was pointed out by others, skins don't affect gameplay (except sometimes they stir up jealously). But the main issue is that the inclusion of skins (or DLC of any sort really) gives a game a facade of professionalism, whether it's a truly well crafted game or not. This is how I feel, at least. I understand if others have differing opinions. But it's the same way a guitar "seems" better with extra knobs or binding (the white/creme colored stuff that lines the edges of the guitar's shape). It's stuff that might be entirely useless and even poorly done, but just the fact that it's there makes it seem "better." Eventually, against all the shine and aesthetic appeal, people will learn to stay away.

I'm not sure if you're trying to point out a flaw in my argument or simply stating a fact, but I do agree with you. Skins aren't going to hurt a game... But they definitely aren't going to help a game either.

I think it's a better use of time to try and fix your broken game, since that's one of the positive qualities of downloadable games, particularly because steam makes the updating so easy for the user. I understand that the artists typically aren't also the programmers, so it's not like you can tell the artists to fix the bugs instead of making skins. But if your development team has enough artists to make a bunch of decent skins and not enough programmers to fix the rest of the game, that's a symptom of a larger problem.

(except sometimes they stir up jealously)
fkcuin TF2 hat users.

But it's the same way a guitar "seems" better with extra knobs or bringing (the white/creme colored stuff that lines the edges of the guitar's shape). It's stuff that might be entirely useless and even poorly done, but just the fact that it's there makes it seem "better." Eventually, against all the shine and aesthetic appeal, people will learn to stay away.
I see what you mean. It's kinda like fancy words. If Morgan Freeman or some researcher uses it, it enhances the content of their speech, but if it is just some everyday Jack making some non-sensical argument on the internet about how white people are superior, then it just makes it look even more stupid.

I'm not sure if you're trying to point out a flaw in my argument or simply stating a fact
Mostly, the second. Although I don't like the idea of paying for the skins, I'm not really against them. Just probably won't buy them.

I think it's a better use of time to try and fix your broken game, since that's one of the positive qualities of downloadable games, particularly because steam makes the updating so easy for the user. I understand that the artists typically aren't also the programmers, so it's not like you can tell the artists to fix the bugs instead of making skins. But if your development team has enough artists to make a bunch of decent skins and not enough programmers to fix the rest of the game, that's a symptom of a larger problem.
I think I've read somewhere that this is so common, specially in AAA games, due to the fact that in the final polishing stages of game development, most of the art for the game is already done, and the artists don't really have much to do, so they do some skins or extra content, so they're neither paid a salary for nothing or fired while the designers and programmers fix the bugs. 

The thing is that with the rise of micro transactions, it seems that some companies are twisting this in order to make more money instead of just putting in Easter Eggs or asigning those artists to new projects right away. But you can always trust klei to get some badly done thing in the industry and make something great with it(I think this pretty much sums up most of their games up to now).

Tip for Klei:

Make skin unlocks available when the user buys a giftable copy of dont starve!

this would encourage players to gift the game to people so that they will spread the game too!

I get skins, more people get to play, win win!

I will buy anything Klei throws at me. I am in position that i will probably buy their first game just to support them (i already bought everything else from them). Let's everyone realise that there are only few developers/companies that are on this level of awesomeness and we need to support them!

BTW we did get ton of new stuff for free and more is coming also for free so lets not argue about stupid 1-2 €/$ for some skins.

OT: Klei needs to honour their fellow colleague @SETH leaving with that POTATO CUP!!! (this will be probably free too .)

As ultimate26 said, i think it's important to make skins unlockable, as trophy and achievement on consoles.

It should be like "Play X hours with <character> to unlock the first skin" for the first level of skin, and then others achievements like "Survive 100 days with Wilson" or "Don't cut trees during 30 days in a row with Woodie" etc... Even specials skins that you have to unlock in a limited period of time (like Hallowenn or Christmas).

But if Klei wants to make a little more money by adding skins for money, I won't complain, I perfectly understand that all work deserves to be rewarded. I just think that it would be more fair to give to players a choice : eather complete hard and long objectives, or pay a few bucks.

PS : Sorry for my bad english, feel free to correct me.

important to make skins unlockable
"Play X hours with to unlock the first skin"
Cool,skins unlock by achievements.I like that idea

Don't forget that if this happens then there DST will attract that incredibly annoying community of people that always use the final AKA Pro Skin and anyone that doesn't use this end game skin of godhood is clearly terrible at the game and should be shot.

I say just add the skins and make them all available to everyone from the start, like the characters themselves. That will avoid one skin being seen as "The pro one" And then we can all just dress how we like without having that one crowd call us noobs. 

Don't forget that if this happens then there DST will attract that incredibly annoying community of people that always use the final AKA Pro Skin and anyone that doesn't use this end game skin of godhood is clearly terrible at the game and should be shot.

Hum, never thought that way, but I guess you're right. But I still thinking it could be fun to make "skin events" that you have to unlock by playing the game during a short period of time (I want Wilson with a white beard and a Santa outfit for Christmas event !).

I say just add the skins and make them all available to everyone from the start, like the characters themselves. That will avoid one skin being seen as "The pro one" And then we can all just dress how we like without having that one crowd call us noobs. 

What a weird and 0.0001% probable parallel universe you just created :D

Well, that could easily be solved by making the skins that you unlock random each time.

@t0panka, I wouldn't call it that, I've yet to find a game with that system that didn't at some point develop a hierarchy over the harder to unlock cosmetics. It's called classism and humans often default to it. Looking at the DST community as it stands the addition of an unlock system may very well be the straw that breaks the camels back. 

But who knows? Maybe I am crazy and the DST community will be the first ever to coop with this system without becoming a toxic mess of idiots? I don't know. It's possible, just unlikely.

@Mudley, That's not a bad idea. I still don't see the point in unlocking the skins. DS games are meant to have a long lifespan so it always seemed alien to me to have an XP system. Especially one tied to death.

Archived