Game Update - 142578 / Hotfix 142718 - 7/10/2015

@Bahlsen, Yes. They all seem to work slightly differently, but Pigmen specifically can normally be befriended for 2.5 days, and Woodie can befriend them for 3 days. That one's less useful, but for Bunnymen, giving them carrots makes them follow 50% longer (12 segments instead of 8), and Rock Lobsters follow for 33% longer per mineral (8 segments rather than 6).

Another thing I was noticing yesterday was that the space bar can't be used to eat things as werebeaver anymore (I know changes to the action system for him were mentioned on stream, but I hadn't thought about it). Having played him a little... That's the main thing I want to use space bar for. Trees you can easily pick out with the mouse, because they're big, but right-clicking on logs and stuff is incredibly annoying. I really wish that change were reverted...

@Bahlsen, Yes. They all seem to work slightly differently, but Pigmen specifically can normally be befriended for 2.5 days, and Woodie can befriend them for 3 days. That one's less useful, but for Bunnymen, giving them carrots makes them follow 50% longer (12 segments instead of 8), and Rock Lobsters follow for 33% longer per mineral (8 segments rather than 6).

Another thing I was noticing yesterday was that the space bar can't be used to eat things as werebeaver anymore (I know changes to the action system for him were mentioned on stream, but I hadn't thought about it). Having played him a little... That's the main thing I want to use space bar for. Trees you can easily pick out with the mouse, because they're big, but right-clicking on logs and stuff is incredibly annoying. I really wish that change were reverted...

How about; when you chop a tree and get logs, as werebeever you could press Space to eat the wood, but for Pinecones you would need to Left click on them?

Hey everyone, a new hotfix has been released. Info below:

Hotfix - 142718 - 07/10/2015

Changes

• Werebeaver now has 25% damage absorption
  • Werebeaver now has inherent moisture resistance

Bug Fixes
  • Fixed crash in Hound Mound spawning during winter

Hey everyone, a new hotfix has been released. Info below:

Hotfix - 142718 - 07/10/2015

Changes

• Werebeaver now has 25% damage absorption
  • Werebeaver now has inherent moisture resistance

Bug Fixes
  • Fixed crash in Hound Mound spawning during winter

Good stuff.  :joyous:

Pinecones you would need to Left click on them?
 Pinecones actually can't be eaten by the Werebeaver because of the plantable actions conflict (on controllers, the same controls are used for planting and eating things from inventory-- this is relevant because Woodie can also eat wood-y things as a human now).

Tbh, I still feel like he needs more of a damage buff, the werebeaver even with his 25% damage resistance is still very weak. 

I kind of agree w/ this.  The Werebeaver should at least be on par w/ Wigfrid levels of damage / reduction for its duration.

Even then, it would still be far weaker than his normal DS version of Werebeaver.

I personally don't see any problem with a grass suit level of damage reduction and a spear level amount of damage. It's not spectacular, but not horrible. Pretty run of the mill, in no way OP, and lines up a little more with people's expectations. But if the beaver was left the way it is now I wouldn't really complain.

Also, after spending a few in-game days a the Beaver, I wish Sanity wouldn't be a factor UNTIL you turned back.  It seemed this would actually be a balance, because right now being Beaver is awful and shadow creatures arent helping any.

How about this

Changes

• Werebeaver now has 50-75% damage absorption
  • Werebeaver now has all weather resistance

How bout this instead

• Werebeaver now has spear melee damage
  • Werebeaver is now immune to sanity monsters, but will still drain sanity and be affected upon becoming woodie.

I'm fine with Woodie, he's perfect. The beaver? I like him being affected by weather. I like most of his changes in fact. Here it comes, drum roll please:

BUT he has one tiny little issue. The insanity. Now I'm fine with shadow creatures existing and attacking me, but if I only do axe damage it doesn't matter how well I can kite since they just spawn too fast and if I'm constantly being chased I can chop down a tree to turn back and fight them! So your options are run or die.

There are two good solutions to this, more beaver damage or only have the sanity affect kick in upon turning back to woodie, similarly to how a nightmare amulet drains your sanity in the background while wearing it.

I've been playing a bit lately, to try out the DST Woody.  I have to admit I like him.

So here's my take on why I think I'm liking Woody so much, he's very flint-independent.  That is a remarkably good power for DST.  

Often you'll spawn into a server and the only flint you can find is quite a hike away because people have grabbed all the near flint.  Worse, you don't usually know the right way to go to find that flint.  In old servers that don't respawn much flint scarcity is a common complaint.  Experienced players can fairly easily handle that for a while, but even they can get annoyed with no flint after a while.

Woody doesn't need flint.

With Woody you can wander for a while and never need flint.  You chop down enough trees to get the meter low, then head out.  If you find boulders you can drop some logs, chop a nearby tree, turn into the beaver and gnaw the boulder away, when you're done eat the logs and turn back.  Since you don't go far, having dropped the logs to eat to turn back near the boulder, you don't need to make a new axe, just pick Lucy back up.  You never need to make a pick-axe, just use controlled changes.  Now you only need flint for the subsidiary tools, and you get enough for that from breaking up boulders.

Don't bother trying to use the beaver to last the night, it works but the sanity cost isn't worth it.  Just use it in bursts to harvest things and you'll speed yourself up, and remove your need for flint.  So I don't think the were-beaver form is one you use for a time, it's one you pop into -- and hammer out some stuff -- and turn back from.  Given my usage of it the sanity penalty isn't even terrible for me, I can usually overcome it by planting trees, and maybe picking some flowers (which are good to set out for hungry pigs anyway)

How bout this instead

• Werebeaver now has spear melee damage
  • Werebeaver is now immune to sanity monsters, but will still drain sanity and be affected upon becoming woodie.

Even better! I love that people in this forum aren't idiots like the people at Tanki Online Forum :D

This is regarding treeguards and woodie from another post, but I will put it here for feedback.

Another issue was treeguards. I NEVER spawned any treeguards whilst chopping trees. I don't know whether this is intended or not. I chopped over a few hundred trees myself, then used 4 pigs to do this faster. When pigs started attacking, the very first attack they made to tree, they spawned a tree guard that we killed (good). Then I just kept the forest get bigger for winter (for clops). When deerclops spawned, it literally knocked over at least 100+ trees, spawned in total 1-2 treeguards at most. This part is tricky, I thought we were unlucky and played this part 10 times (again and again, as I was dying to becoming werebeaver, I wanted to test this out in detail). I kept kiting him through trees for whole day and dusk, and we would spawn maybe a single treeguard.

I wonder what's the deal with woodie and the treeguards.. Maybe he reduces the chance for treeguards to spawn? I don't know, never had this issue before. 

This is regarding treeguards and woodie from another post, but I will put it here for feedback.

Another issue was treeguards. I NEVER spawned any treeguards whilst chopping trees. I don't know whether this is intended or not. I chopped over a few hundred trees myself, then used 4 pigs to do this faster. When pigs started attacking, the very first attack they made to tree, they spawned a tree guard that we killed (good). Then I just kept the forest get bigger for winter (for clops). When deerclops spawned, it literally knocked over at least 100+ trees, spawned in total 1-2 treeguards at most. This part is tricky, I thought we were unlucky and played this part 10 times (again and again, as I was dying to becoming werebeaver, I wanted to test this out in detail). I kept kiting him through trees for whole day and dusk, and we would spawn maybe a single treeguard.

I wonder what's the deal with woodie and the treeguards.. Maybe he reduces the chance for treeguards to spawn? I don't know, never had this issue before. 

I've played a few games as/with a friend playing as Woodie, and when he was doing his wood-chopping business he spawned a nice amount of treeguards (and poison birch trees too). 

Archived