I was playing Don't Starve Together last night on a server with around six or seven other people. They had a pretty advanced camp going, and I was new to the server. I tried to be as pleasant as possible and made sure not to do anything bad. It went pretty well for a while. Everyone was fine with me taking food, and I even tried to help by checking traps and replanting farms.

I got pretty hungry and decided to make some meatballs in one of the crockpots. When they finished cooking, someone asked "Who made meatballs?" I said that it was me. I was promptly banned from the server. No explanation. Just banned.

Are meatballs looked down upon in DST? Was it just that server? Nobody on the server mentioned anything about meatballs. Anybody got any ideas?

I was playing Don't Starve Together last night on a server with around six or seven other people. They had a pretty advanced camp going, and I was new to the server. I tried to be as pleasant as possible and made sure not to do anything bad. It went pretty well for a while. Everyone was fine with me taking food, and I even tried to help by checking traps and replanting farms.

I got pretty hungry and decided to make some meatballs in one of the crockpots. When they finished cooking, someone asked "Who made meatballs?" I said that it was me. I was promptly banned from the server. No explanation. Just banned.

Are meatballs looked down upon in DST? Was it just that server? Nobody on the server mentioned anything about meatballs. Anybody got any ideas?

What did you used to do it? (even if i find this...well, harsh.)

Most people look down on others when they make meatballs because they spoil pretty quickly. Its possible you made meatballs with very precious ingrediants when you could have made something better. Dont think so badly of it, but make sure you tell people what you're making before you do so there isnt any future problems :)

Well thats just a little over kill (You getting banned for such a small thing), they might of been people super OCD about what crock pot recipies are the best (Even though meatballs are fairly ok), just don't think to much into it they are being jerks for banning you over something small (That you didn't know wasn't "Allowed").

Things you may want to ask about if new to a server:

Going though boxes - griefers go through boxes grab everything and then drop

Going into Fridge - same as above

Making a crock pot item - A lot of servers appoint cooks to use food efficiently 

Do not pick flowers near bee box

do not take bird that is in cage

I Think that is about it oh and if you put like 10 monster meat in fridge you may want to announce it so they know you are a team player. 

@F1sh, No, they probably thought that meatballs were a waste of resources, and unless you're going all-in on the berries or have a red mushroom ring, they are usually a bit wasteful. I did a fair bit of number-crunching with a few different initial ingredient scenarios, but basically in the early game meatballs are good because you can get a little meat easily, but getting enough to make the better recipes can be riskier, but you'll pick up tons of berries and carrots as you explore.

Later on, you probably want more health from your foods, so bacon and eggs are something you can get to very quickly with spiders and a bird cage. By the time you can make bacon and eggs there's really no reason to make meatballs anymore. I also make honey ham, dragonpies, and meaty stew depending on what I have/need.

I would never have kicked/banned someone for meatballs, though, that's ridiculous. I probably wouldn't have said anything at all, because usually I have more than enough food anyway...

Sorry, but I find this hilarious. What kind of people bans others over meatballs?

You should turn that into a badge of honor. Maybe a forum sig saying "BANNED FOR MEATBALLS". :grin:

Don't stress too much about them, Pyro is right. They're being butts over nothing.

post-558166-0-98314000-1425313233_thumb.

(Edit to add mugshot img)

Sorry, but I find this hilarious. What kind of people bans others over meatballs?

You should turn that into a badge of honor. Maybe a forum sig saying "BANNED FOR MEATBALLS". :grin:

Don't stress too much about them, Pyro is right. They're being butts over nothing.

It's basically what Rezecib said.

The crockpot is probably one of the more complicated things in DS and DST the way I see it.

That's a new one, i'll give yah that.

You should be proud you got banned fro making meatballs.

I would be.

So many people get banned for stupid reasons, like dying too much or not giving enough resources over for their team camp. 

Silly.

If you came into my base and used two pieces of meat and two berries to make meatballs without asking or hell, even raiding my fridge, I probably would do something about it, too. Ban seems excessive, though.

its the right thing to do.

it would be too complicated to teach something as complex as the crockpot to noobs so unless another person wants to stick around the base and cook food for the new guy which is more useful than meatballs, theres no other solution.

ofcourse the host could've politely asked the OP to quit or tell him to find his own stuff in the world.

its the right thing to do.

I beg to disagree. Banning someone for cooking meatballs without trying to talk to that person first is not the right thing to do. I get that the host may be tired of noobs messing up his perfect plans for world domination, but just because a person cooks meatballs doesn't mean he doesn't know how the crockpot works.

There are lots of reasons for a good DS player to cook meatballs. He could've been embarrassed to use the food in the fridge and was cooking things he scavenged by himself. Or he could've been trying to get rid of a huge stack of spoiling mushrooms. Or they could've had lots of veggies, monster meats, and no birdcage, so the OP thought it didn't matter what you cooked anyway.

As for it being difficult to explain the rules to newcomers, if the host can type "who cooked meatballs", then he could've typed out "don't cook meatballs". If the OP kept complaining or asking questions, then maybe that's the time to kick/ban them.

Take note we're not saying here that meatballs are the best crockpot food. It's just that, well, banning someone? Over meatballs? Without any warning? That's definitely not normal behavior.

If you came into my base and used two pieces of meat and two berries to make meatballs without asking or hell, even raiding my fridge, I probably would do something about it, too. Ban seems excessive, though.

He already explained that he was there for a while already etc :p

Thanks for the responses everyone. So meatballs are not bad, but possibly a tad wasteful. I thought maybe they crashed the game or something horrible.

But that doesn't really make sense considering that I only used one monster meat (which there were loads of) and three veggies. I can't remember exactly what I used for filler, but I might have used one or two eggplants. So I guess that could be considered wasteful. I suppose I should also mention that this was past day 100 and there was enough food to feed a small army. So there really is no reason to believe I wasted food. Unless somebody else took valuable food and I got blamed for it? It seems weird to just flat-out ban someone over something like that anyway.

But who knows? This could all be a big misunderstanding. Maybe it was an accident. Or maybe they thought I was somebody else. But for now, I guess I'll just blame meatballs for getting me banned.

If you cooked a Monster Meat, a mystery veggie (let's pick carrot for random), and 2 eggplants, you threw away 

18.75 + 12.5 + 25 + 25 = 81.25 hunger

and 20 HP recovery from each eggplant (40hp, enough for a spare heart)...

For 62.5 hunger, 3 hp, and 5 sanity. 

They then assumed you don't know how to play and threw you out, which is mean, but that's why they threw you out. Meatballs are basically only worth it early game with like.. Morsel/MM + some combo of free berries, shrooms, and carrots, and only worth it late game if you are in a specific situation. Basically, if you are missing ONLY hunger, and have full health, and you have ingredients that would otherwise be inedible, such as MM + 3 red shrooms.

As a general rule of thumb, do not crock pot farm plot fruits or veggies besides carrots unless you know a specific recipe you want. Corn is worth more hunger than berries, carrots, or shrooms, so it shouldn't go into meatballs. Eggplants give 25 hunger and 20 hp when cooked, so they should not be a filler for meatballs. 2 eggplants give nearly the same amount of hunger as a whole batch of meatballs without wasting meat, while also recovering 40hp, alone. Durians are sort of suck and can be thrown in if you are using a meat besides MM, but as they count as monster foods, you will end up making Monster Lasagna if you are using Monster Meat. Pomegranates give good HP, Dragonfruit makes Dragon Pie which is one of the best and cheapest HP recovering recipes available. Pumpkins give better hunger alone, but can be used for Pumpkin Cookies if you lack other sources of sanity in a pinch. Basically everything has a better use than meatballs, except carrots, which have the same hunger value as (cooked) berries and can be safely burned.

In my opinion, the most useless possible items to be used as filler are stale/spoiled green or blue mushrooms. Once stale, they no longer give HP/Sanity bonuses, and are basically worthless, so you can clean up ones that didn't happen to be needed by cooking them into Meatballs or other things... Red ones, I honestly like to save, as I use them to murder pesky Gobblers, unless it's winter and all your berries are harvested already. If you have a red mushroom ring though, you likely have excess.

(Edited in more information as I was in a hurry when originally making this post)

Archived