Autumn's Danger

Now we all know that each of the seasons have there own danger, winter has its cold, summer its heat, spring its rain, and autumn... well nothing yet. So I was thinking, what would be something that autumn could have and so I went to the elements. Summer - Fire, Spring - Water, Winter - Earth (I guess?), so Autumn would be air. So how would this work exactly? I don't really know, perhaps wind could knockdown structures and throw around loose items. Maybe to the extremes even push around the player and creatures. I mean I guess autumn could be the laid back season where you prepare for the others but I think I would like to see something special for it. Now autumn like spring shouldn't be as bad as winter or summer, so I just wanted to throw this idea out there and see what you guys think!

I think autumn is supposed to be the startup season, besides, if you have to contend with all the dangers of summer and spring in the first few days then there's very low chance you'll surivve

Yeah that's what I was thinking, maybe though next autumn these things could happen. Just to give time to prepare.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, maybe though next autumn these things could happen. Just to give time to prepare.

Sounds like a good idea, except we need atleast one season of respite, Summer has blistering heat, Winter is crazy cold, Spring... well, not sure about it, and from what ive seen and heard the only 'safe' time to go into the caves is during autumn because seasons are even worse in the caves, (Which makes no sense, btw)

as much as I want Autumn to be a relaxed season so we can have time to prepare for the other season I really would enjoy having constant wind that moved any items on the ground or was just aesthetic with leaves blowing everywhere and the sound of wind all season

it would add a nice touch and still be an easy season without any drawbacks besides "don't put your stuff on the ground"

I think autumn is supposed to be the startup season, besides, if you have to contend with all the dangers of summer and spring in the first few days then there's very low chance you'll surivve

Spring is actually very survivable as a starting season currently.  Provided you know what you're doing of course.  The difficulty with a spring start is the summer follow-on because you don't have a nice winter to collect ice to prepare for summer.  If your world doesn't get a rock biome you'll have a rough go of summer. 

If Klei wants to still be able to get new players, they probably need to leave autumn as a (relatively) easy season, because someone who's new to the game would become very frustrated, I think, if right from the start they had to deal with all kinds of stuff, including items blowing around which is seriously going to turn them off - that would seriously annoy me and I'm experienced.  Blowing traps over I could see, but it needs to be explained if you examine it, so newbs understand what happened.

Nothing is more frustrating than obstacles that you don't understand.  Just witness how problematic the first wetness system was.

Something different would be nice. Wind sounds difficult to design in a way that's meaningful yet not too frustrating. I guess tornadoes would be one way to go about it.

Yeah tornadoes could be a good idea. Maybe the wind could move some kind of items on the ground very slowly (traps wouldn't move for example)  but it will be something really difficult to managed.

An other idea could be that the wind go in a specific direction an so you could win a speed bonus or penalty depending on your moving direction.

There could be a wind meter and so you can know when there would be a day of wind

Yeah tornadoes could be a good idea. Maybe the wind could move some kind of items on the ground very slowly (traps wouldn't move for example)  but it will be something really difficult to managed.

Here's the thing about a tornado - you can't fight it.  People won't like dangers they can't fight.  People like giants (which probably have the same basic effect as a tornado would) because they can fight a giant. 

Sounds like a good idea, except we need atleast one season of respite, Summer has blistering heat, Winter is crazy cold, Spring... well, not sure about it, and from what ive seen and heard the only 'safe' time to go into the caves is during autumn because seasons are even worse in the caves, (Which makes no sense, btw)

Aren't Summer and Winter sort of the same thing? Wear hat, don't starve, stay in the correct temperature? 

An other idea could be that the wind go in a specific direction an so you could win a speed bonus or penalty depending on your moving direction.

There could be a wind meter and so you can know when there would be a day of wind

I really like the idea of wind affecting movement speed in relation to direction.

There is no need to prepare. Right now autumn is just boring. Hope this will change with the giants.

Lets see how would you like to be soaked to the bone while only having pretty parasol, or turned in to ice cube while trying to warm yourself up, o being burned in to ashes, without a chance to cool yourself down

Archived