An Update on Don’t Starve

Nothing stops you from regenerating the cave, which will have a new ruins level with a new boss etc. And I really hope the "Regen" option for caves remains in game, because is the only choice for players who decide to not change worlds to add new content (newly generated caves = exploration / danger / rewards).

Nothing stops you from regenerating the cave, which will have a new ruins level with a new boss etc. And I really hope the "Regen" option for caves remains in game, because is the only choice for players who decide to not change worlds to add new content (newly generated caves = exploration / danger / rewards).

It won't. Only reason its in right now is so we can access cave updates without having to start a new game. Which makes the non-renewable status of fireflies, thulecite and some gems all the more of a concern.

Hmm, the only disconcerting parts about this news would have to be no further cave development and DLC.

While I'm sure the mod community will burst forth once things become more stable. I do hope to see more characters, mechanics, cave levels, EVERYTHANG!! but I'm fairly patient and Klei has delivered a game above and beyond all expectation, and I would be willing to wait a whole year or more for maybe an "expansion pack" of sorts adding a lot of the content they want to see in the game.

DLC to me screams individual small "official mod packs" that have a price attached to them, while I'd willingly lay down another 15$ for this game a second time, I'm not a big fan of DLC, my experience with them is fairly shabby. I get them to only find that they have only 10% more time and effort put into them than a community made mod would. Certainly they have decent content but it isn't always worth the price tags, seen to be in excess of 5$!

I by no means have any say in what klei does with their game, but these things kind of bother me. Then again worse things have happened to games with far more potential. Not that don't starve doesn't have amazing potential from here on, but it's already displayed more than enough of that potential to compensate for a bad idea or two, where most games have only minor potential before they trail off in directions that hardly any players is behind because a lot more things need addressing.

• Like 2

Hello Klei! I have bought DS in last year and i this game really costs its money. These updates are really good because i dont know any developers who support and provided their game with FREE content for almost year! And i understand that need money and dlcs are the way to get them. BUT! i think that you must firstly add all basic elements in DS: all caves levels, heat & hunger for water, few mobs, mechanisms (machines or why not bike) and of course the owner of these huge tentacles which is hiding in  depths of  caves. i hope you will add something from it))

P.S. dont listen to haters all updates are awesom

Pss i will buy all dlcs :love-struck:

psss it wwould be awesom too if you will add sea travels  :yaypigs:

Character RebalanceHey, we did this! Yay! Maxwell should get his makeover before the end of the project. I hope that everyone is enjoying playing as Woodie.

Will Willow be receiving a buff? Her current abilities are a little underwhelming; that was okay before, because heat immunity was supposed to become more useful when we got lava caves and heat waves. But now neither of those are being added, so...

She's still very useful because is immune to fire damage, which makes it very easy to fight stuff in controlled environments (planting a small forest just to burn it when you wanna keel dogs or deerclops etc).

Each character feels unique for me and you have to play the game different based on which one you play.

Well, DLCs are bound to come out for something as good as this game...Take "The binding of Isaac:Wrath of the Lamb"  for example. Doesn't cost that much, but remakes the entire game! Go ahead, try the DLC thing, as long as it does't cost too much(more than $15.00.

HOWEVER, there is a catch.

Why would someone buy DLC if there are plenty of mods right at our fingertips? Installing a bunch of mods is bound to come close to any massive update in a DLC, unless it adds something ridiculously cool.

What ever DLC is made for this game I'm buying. So will allot of other fans of the game. Period. People who don't like DLC and want to complain about it probably wont, so they don't matter any way. Also people who think they are entitled to everything for free wont either, so they also don't matter.

Will Willow be receiving a buff? Her current abilities are a little underwhelming; that was okay before, because heat immunity was supposed to become more useful when we got lava caves and heat waves. But now neither of those are being added, so...

People already complain she is overpowered, in fact she got nerfed in the "hunger" update, so I'm guessing there will be no buff for my beloved Willow.

Ok, well, I thought I might as well share my thoughts on this one:

For one, I agree with the decision to work on fixes and to refine the game. It is important to develop a high quality, enjoyable game that is not hindered by bugs. I also understand that game development can be quite hectic, and I do understand the problems had with the three-week sprints. Also, knowing mod development for Minecraft quite in depth, too frequent updates can mess up everything quickly. So, all in all, I agree with this decision. I think it will help make a better game.

However, even though I will probably have no problem with it, 6 months is a long time for many. That combined with the fact that we are not sure what will happen after, I do not know what will happen with the game's fanbase during this period. So, I definitely see some problems with that already. It isn't my main concern, however. I do know I will continue playing the game during the 6 months, I will do my best to support the community and the game.

Now, on the most contriversial topic surrounding the issue: DLC. I want to begin by saying this: me and most of the people here seem to have no problems with DLC for this game. I also want to say that if the DLC is good, I will definitely buy it. However, in my eyes, if you have enough time to make DLC that adds new features to the game, you also have the ability to create free updates. In other words, I would like to see both DLC and free updates in the future. Even if the free updates are 4-5 months apart, I would still like to see them in the game in the future. This being a survival sandbox game, you need new content to keep up interest in the game. Since there is no real end to the game (I do not count adventure mode to be a REAL ending...its a sandbox game, mostly), it is important to keep adding new things, at SOME speed, whether you are slow, or quick.

In conclusion, I agree with the changes to the system in general. However, I would like to see at least some updates in the future, even if they are spaced far apart. I would not like to see effort only put in DLC and nothing else; I don't think that would put Klei Entertainment in a good light. I have to admit I am a bit dissapointed that we are not getting lava caves and anti winter, but I understand the issues at hand.

I am looking forward to seeing the future of this game and I wish everyone at Klei good luck.

Hey,this isn't bad. Maybe klei can create a team with including:

İdea Founder,

Drawer,

And codder

To create a DLC that have a good name,various cratures,some new stuff and most needed of all...

MORE FOOD!!

• Like 1

Hey,this isn't bad. Maybe klei can create a team with including:

İdea Founder,

Drawer,

And codder

To create a DLC that have a good name,various cratures,some new stuff and most needed of all...

MORE FOOD!!

yeah, something like custom Dlcs

P.s.:please don't like your own posts

What ever DLC is made for this game I'm buying. So will allot of other fans of the game. Period. People who don't like DLC and want to complain about it probably wont, so they don't matter any way. Also people who think they are entitled to everything for free wont either, so they also don't matter.

post-284278-0-27621600-1378733824_thumb.

Just to be sure. We have to pay now for a yearly update , instead of getting a free monthly one?

I wont say anything,but didnt this game start like "Minecraft". Pay ONE time and get updates for free?

DLC are **** and i wont support this opinion!

They said they were gonna give free updates for 6 months after release. Game released in April so free updates will run out next month. So do more research on a game before buying it.

Also complain about the DLC if the DLC is bad when it comes out. Until then, don't bash on others for supporting it.

• Like 1

Unfortunately the standalone doesn't log my game hours, but I have easily played hundreds of hours if not now in the four-digit play-time. The updates have strengthened and changed the game for the better in terms of complexity. The "six months worth of updates" have been well worth it even if they were to stop with this next release and give no more new content. 

Considering the AAA games ask for 50-60 US dollars per game and don't often offer updates without an additional purchase, the standard price is a bargain (and many of us got it for a BOGO or discounted price anyway, so there's that savings; for the record, I got the game later than early release and paid list price.) 

So if a small developer has had a team do nothing but this for a fraction of  what big studios charge for, and that team needs a break and/or more funds to release additional content, stop comparing the DLC to what a AAA game does.

This is Klei and this is DS and this is a totally different game...and THIS IS SPARTA!!...whoops, got caught in the moment there :-)

This is especially true when it's one of the few studios of ANY size that ACTUALLY listens to user feedback and CHANGES the game accordingly. If I had only three fingers on my whole body, I could count the studios that currently do this and risk having extra fingers.

So thanks for all your feedback positive and negative, but remember this studio is the one that's not like the others

• Like 1

Alright, so I found myself free tonight, got me some tea (although I didn't finish it cuz it sucked, I failed on making it) and thought about all of this.

The verdict is : this is KLEI people, those guys are the guys who made Don't Starve, the ones that invented that amazing game from nothing, they MADE the game, they know better what's best for it, and for them.

If us fans cannot stand the idea of seeing this game not get its fullest potential, think about them, the ones who, not only LOVE the game, but who made it.

Don't Starve is capable of getting new content to the point where its size can get 5 GB if not more, the amount of addable content and thoughts, are unlimited, but when are we gonna hit that point where we look at don't starve as a complete game? the point where we can finally add that (Full Stop) to the game?

that's where the MODS come, KLEI is doing their best to give the modders this game that are soo mod friendly, even newbies at modding can make their own mods.

now THIS is how the game's gonna keep getting unlimited content, the game itself should be complete at one point, should you want more content? look for mods.

and I'm sure there's plenty of mod ideas out there that would blow even klei's minds. if there's any company I'd completely support, it's gonna be klei, whatever their decisions, are for the best, for us, and for their games.

as for the DLCs, you have no idea what you're about to see guys, if these guys, the ones who made don't starve, are the ones making the DLCs, ohhhh playaa, you aint seen nothin'.

Just thinking that they can add soo many awesome content on ONE UPDATE, what can they do with a whole DLC?

absolutely looking forward to it.

As for the lava layer or heatwave, I'm kinda confused if they will completely just utterly scrap it.

It would make much more sense if they handed what they've been working on to some good modders so they can continue the work if they want, and not just throw their work at the trash, would be a waste of time and money.

And again, if you want anyone to make the decisions for a specific game, believe me, you want them to be klei.

I have so much in my mind right now but I don't think its necessary to speak of.

All the best folks.

Edited by iExPreZz
  • Like 1