An Update on Don’t Starve

If Klei likes updating Don't starve and gets some nice profit out of it, while the players enjoy new content that keeps it from being a game you put on the shelf and forget about, then I find it strange as to why people would be happy to see the end of the updates. Granted Klei has other games to make and that will be more of a priority, but until then I can't see a reason to declare the world full of secrets done and done.

Edited by Ridley

If Klei likes updating Don't starve and gets some nice profit out of it, while the players enjoy new content that keeps it from being a game you put on the shelf and forget about....

Shelf? Do i need to download a program or App for that to have it in the device?

*Whispered to*

You mean, games used to be sold IRL and you had to put these...little squares or shiny circles with circular holes in the center into the thing running the game? WOW!

And the next thing you'll tell me is before flat screens, people watched television in square boxes, right? ;) 

Shelf? Do i need to download a program or App for that to have it in the device?

*Whispered to*

You mean, games used to be sold IRL and you had to put these...little squares or shiny circles with circular holes in the center into the thing running the game? WOW!

And the next thing you'll tell me is before flat screens, people watched television in square boxes, right? ;)

This asks for Morpheus telling you stuff in a "what if I told you" scenario ;).

Anyhow, at this time the content and price of the dlc is still a mystery, I hope there'll be some more info soon. Yeah I am aware Klei will start working on it in November, but a glimpse of the idea would be nice :). Or ye'olde teasing from Kevin...

I find it strange as to why people would be happy to see the end of the updates. Granted Klei has other games to make and that will be more of a priority, but until then I can't see a reason to declare the world full of secrets done and done.

simple they break mods when they update . the newish mod system actually doesnt stop mods from breaking when they update. it was the whole reason they used the current system . the sooner there done the better .

sure new stuff is nice but most of it seems like more of the same . new staffs new necklaces random monsters but no new power that is hot keyable sure they handed out some character tweaks but no power attacks done with right click instead of left click and cave walls are so ugly i would prefer no caves or that they remove the walls and place lava as a obstacle since you would still need a light source in the caves no point in making it more awkward but they keep updating the game and breaking mods so even if some one spends the time to do it untill they stop there is no point

• Like 1

sure new stuff is nice but most of it seems like more of the same . new staffs new necklaces random monsters but no new power that is hot keyable sure they handed out some character tweaks but no power attacks done with right click instead of left click and cave walls are so ugly i would prefer no caves or that they remove the walls and place lava as a obstacle since you would still need a light source in the caves no point in making it more awkward but they keep updating the game and breaking mods so even if some one spends the time to do it untill they stop there is no point

1) Punctuation is your friend, dude.

2) Cave walls? How many updates are you behind?

=Smidge=

simple they break mods when they update . the newish mod system actually doesnt stop mods from breaking when they update. it was the whole reason they used the current system . the sooner there done the better .

1) Punctuation is your friend, dude.

2) Cave walls? How many updates are you behind?

=Smidge=

Agree with both replies here as valid points.

Sadly also agree that without new game rules (like what Sanity did) or new levels (such as the proposed lava cave level or some new location entirely,) it's time to let it go. if it's burning out the team , I'd rather not play something that doesn't make their full attention on it anyweay.

Let them take a break and have a team continue/return fresh-faced on the DLC later. And if this is the last DS stuff from Klei anyway, I got my money's worth, curse you Klei for my four-digit time sink! :D

Agree with both replies here as valid points.

Sadly also agree that without new game rules (like what Sanity did) or new levels (such as the proposed lava cave level or some new location entirely,) it's time to let it go. if it's burning out the team , I'd rather not play something that doesn't make their full attention on it anyweay.

Let them take a break and have a team continue/return fresh-faced on the DLC later. And if this is the last DS stuff from Klei anyway, I got my money's worth, curse you Klei for my four-digit time sink! :grin:

I don't think Don't Starve ever had the entire Klei workforce's attention. Haven't they been doing stuff with Eets 2 during this?

And they can take a break on Don't Starve, but it would mean working on a different thing. A developers life is all but relaxing.

I am startled by these DLCs, I never really liked them because they felt unobtainable once they grow in numbers. Can you imagine being new to a game and over 2/3 of the game content is DLCs.

• Like 1

I don't think Don't Starve ever had the entire Klei workforce's attention. Haven't they been doing stuff with Eets 2 during this?

And they can take a break on Don't Starve, but it would mean working on a different thing. A developers life is all but relaxing.

I am startled by these DLCs, I never really liked them because they felt unobtainable once they grow in numbers. Can you imagine being new to a game and over 2/3 of the game content is DLCs.

And i meant the DS team, not the entire company. Sorry if unclear.

Finally, the majority of the game is this release, not the DLC. If that changes, they will tell you in the Roadmap linked in that thread. 

After completing adventure mode, I was under the impression alot more was going to be added to the storyline. This would be a pretty huge DLC by itself and I only think it would be a DLC because it appears most of the work is bug stomping caves.

Also it seems weird to have a game that you update and update and update after its release, then stop to make DLCs. It would be weird if a game like TF2 did that. If Don't Starve had no updates after it had been released, then it might seem more normal to me to ponder a DLC.

I remember someone mentioning no updates being easier on the modders. However, I  love Don't Starve for being the insanity of its creators, not the ingeunity of its fans. Mods would only hold someone like me over for a couple of days.

After completing adventure mode, I was under the impression alot more was going to be added to the storyline. This would be a pretty huge DLC by itself and I only think it would be a DLC because it appears most of the work is bug stomping caves.

Also it seems weird to have a game that you update and update and update after its release, then stop to make DLCs. It would be weird if a game like TF2 did that. If Don't Starve had no updates after it had been released, then it might seem more normal to me to ponder a DLC.

I remember someone mentioning no updates being easier on the modders. However, I  love Don't Starve for being the insanity of its creators, not the ingeunity of its fans. Mods would only hold someone like me over for a couple of days.

(Replied to everybody, but using the quote as the inspired post:) 

Personally, I like playing a game vanilla until I have played my fill of it and tire of that game, then play mods to extend its shelf life.

FTL is a perfect example for adding additional character content (ships) and other game crafted content once you "master" the game strategy which extends the variety of gameplay. (And If you like DS and the challenge of Rougelike/Permadeath, I highly recommend looking into and purchasing this game! This also made me lose  gave me four-digits in hours of game-play over many months! :-)

Whether you play mods that change the game rules (for FTL, an example is no Rebel fleet pursuit; for DS, the amount of inventory spaces or changing how game items craft/work,) or add new characters or other things not thought or or done by Klei are mod examples of extending the game shelf life by players not done by a game company for whatever decisions.  

Whether you like to use mods or not though is up to the player (and is their decision if it can add to the game's fun or not.)

There's nothing "wrong" however with players who do or don't use mods, as that's their choice (and has nothing to do with the game's company, short on their modding support of course.)

Finally, it's best  for each individual game to be tried out with mods to see if it's a good fit or not (assuming it's easy to install and uninstall said mods of course. Kudos for Klei's mod manager options!)

Hope that didn't go off-topic if applicable, but think it fits the thread's topic well (from a IMHO kind of way.) 

Edited by the truthseeker
  • Like 1

"In addition, before the end of the updates, we want to open up the anim and sound pipelines to modders!"

can you please specify what you mean with  that please?

I believe they have already included tools that allow us to make and include custom sounds and animations with our mods.  I do not think that they are planning on releasing an extensive toolset that would be similar to things like what torchlight has, but they have already put out some tools in order to help assist with these two parts of modding.  At least, I believe that is what the tutorials that they have released are related to.

That doesn't mean it will be easy though.

I see. I was kinda hoping there could be a way to do the character player design in higher level like being able to add new type of animation, tail and wings and stuff like that. So far I know only about creating own creatures