Character Rebalance Discussion thread

Oh no [MENTION=8]Kevin[/MENTION] what have you done to the poor wolfy! Man he is the strong man! He should not be sacred at all of any kind of monster or anything, he can get hungrier faster but, insane faster near puny little monsters? the battle should make him more sane than before! I agree about the mightness thing and i think it should make his sanity drain faster too since for a big man, being hungry is really disorientating! Please take that in consideration before finishing him.

He's not exactly the "Strongman" when it comes to thoughts and emotions. He's even scared of the dark. (I.e "Aah! The light has gone! I am scared!") Edited by oCrapaCreeper

He's not exactly the "Strongman" when it comes to thoughts and emotions. He's even scared of the dark. (I.e "Aah! The light has gone! I am scared!")

well i said about the fight, big guys really like a brawl ( me in consideration ) but if kevin is taking in consideration the sidestory of each char, fine by me.

• Developer

Wolfie's code is done. Just waiting on the art for him. I think I'll do Wendy first thing next week. If I can get her and Wickerbottom out of the way by Tuesday, that'll give me the rest of the week to wrap up the new character, and maybe take a look at implementing doors.

Wolfie's code is done. Just waiting on the art for him. I think I'll do Wendy first thing next week. If I can get her and Wickerbottom out of the way by Tuesday, that'll give me the rest of the week to wrap up the new character, and maybe take a look at implementing doors.

Wickerbottom last?!My umbrage is full!

Are there still plans for Maxwell? Those "friends" sound pretty interesting.

The randomness of her spawning. Some nights, I just want to use my straw roll and recover some sanity. (In short, she shouldn't cause an inability to sleep.) Also the time. Once dusk hits, you really don't have time to use her. But that's when she spawns. I would say traps but I believe she doesn't set them off anymore. She could use abit stronger attack. Her 15 isn't really helpful when I can hire an army of pigs that do 33 damage each.

Edited by Luggs

WolfgangPositives:Larger stomach capacityNegatives:Faster sanity drain in darkness and near monstersMightiness: The more full his stomach is, the more health he has and the harder he hits. If it is low, however, there are negative penalties. Calories burn faster with increased mightiness. The current mightiness level is reflected in the the character art.

This is the perfect rebalance for his strength: becuase he losses strength with hunger and his stomach is harder to fill up is the perfect thought.

She probably annoys me most when I'm trying to do stuff around camp and she doesn't get out of the way fast enough and burns me. Really annoying.Regarding wickerbottom's books:- She can equip a book and read it to gain sanity, decreasing the 'durability' of the book (when it reaches 0 she has read it all). Or maybe she should write in it, like a journal. If she crafted it, it wouldn't really make sense for her to read it. Maybe she can do this on the run, maybe not.- She can use a book to teach a pig. The first book teaches the pig to wear armor. The second book teaches the pig to use a weapon. If she "writes" in the book to gain sanity, then maybe that is what she is writing - pig learning books - and so she can only teach pigs with a book that is at 0% (fully completed - or maybe they go in reverse, from 0 to 100%?). In any case, using a book to teach a pig should destroy it. - Books cost some number of papyrus, plus a feather (quill). Maybe also a binding like pigskin or tentacle spots. Obviously having a fully armed pig army like that would be...significant. But the time invested in making and writing the books, I think it could be scaled. Also, what happens when the pigs go were? Actually I don't even know what happens to hats right now if they go were. But, they could destroy all their equipment when they go were, or at least the armor. Maybe drop the weapon. This would also keep them from being too op, as you probably won't want to equip them with more than spears (unless they drop them), unless you're just totally overloaded with tentacle spikes. It would definitely be a unique dynamic.

Regarding wickerbottom's books:- She can equip a book and read it to gain sanity, decreasing the 'durability' of the book (when it reaches 0 she has read it all). Or maybe she should write in it, like a journal. If she crafted it, it wouldn't really make sense for her to read it. Maybe she can do this on the run, maybe not.- She can use a book to teach a pig. The first book teaches the pig to wear armor. The second book teaches the pig to use a weapon. If she "writes" in the book to gain sanity, then maybe that is what she is writing - pig learning books - and so she can only teach pigs with a book that is at 0% (fully completed - or maybe they go in reverse, from 0 to 100%?). In any case, using a book to teach a pig should destroy it. - Books cost some number of papyrus, plus a feather (quill). Maybe also a binding like pigskin or tentacle spots. Obviously having a fully armed pig army like that would be...significant. But the time invested in making and writing the books, I think it could be scaled. Also, what happens when the pigs go were? Actually I don't even know what happens to hats right now if they go were. But, they could destroy all their equipment when they go were, or at least the armor. Maybe drop the weapon. This would also keep them from being too op, as you probably won't want to equip them with more than spears (unless they drop them), unless you're just totally overloaded with tentacle spikes. It would definitely be a unique dynamic.

Maybe pigs that have tools, weapons and armour they give more sanity for being near them and the stronger the weapon/tool and armour the more sanity EX: grass armour does extra 1% log 2.5% marble suit=3% more but dark armour is -5% sanity gain same for weapons spear is 1% gain any ice staff is 2.5% fire staff is 5% more gain and dark sword is -5% sanity gain these numbers are obviously just like the WX-79 gear numbers completely changeable but then again this is just an idea using someones teaching pigs ideabut also using differnt feathers for diffent books.EX:Crow is sanity gainRed bird teaches pigs how to use weapons and handle them better better handling=faster attack Handling increases by 5% each read Winter bird feather: Armour is just how to use armour but if you want you can add an ability (that goes to 25% or higher) that decreases how much damage the armour takes if you want add this to players but make wolfgang not be able to use or craft books. or when he ties to read one he sais "No need big brain, I have big muscles." Edited by monstermeat

Maybe pigs that have tools, weapons and armour they give more sanity for being near them...

How about if the pigs are wearing dapper gear themselves it increases your sanity faster. Not weapons and tools. Also, pro-tip: if you use the "reply with quote" button at the bottom right of a previous poster's message, it will put their name in with the quote. Then you know whose idea it was, rather than saying "someone".

How about if the pigs are wearing dapper gear themselves it increases your sanity faster. Not weapons and tools. Also, pro-tip: if you use the "reply with quote" button at the bottom right of a previous poster's message, it will put their name in with the quote. Then you know whose idea it was, rather than saying "someone".

about the quote thing i only wanted part of it but i guess i could have tried a diffent thing rather than puting wrap quotes the copy/paste

Wes:Positives: That Balloon Animal thing.-So Silent, he has much better chances with the Bush hat, and the other hiding items.Negatives:What you haveWickerbottom:Positives:-Gets a Sanity boost from being near Science Machines and Alchemy Engines-Same as beforeNegatives:-Loses Sanity from Using Magical Items.-Does less damageWolfgang:Positives:-Is able to lift Boulders and move them.-What you haveNegatives:-Has lower Sanity.-Unable to use Blueprints.Wendy:Positives:-Does not lose Sanity from being near Ghosts-Abigail will spawn on Half Moons, and sometimes, rise from graves. (Does not need to be dug).-Can Befriend GhostsNeutral:-Has a very small chance to become a ghost when dead, giving you a small cinematic of her being reunited with her sister in death. Just for kicks.Negatives:-Has lower Sanity.-Being around dug graves decreases her Sanity.Maxwell: (No spoiler tag here, Kevin actually SAYS Spoilers Ahoy in the OP.)Positives: -Chess Pieces will obey him.-Same Starting equipment as before.-Doesn't require a Shadow Manipulator. He can make everything, after he makes the Alchemy Engine.Negatives:-Has lower Sanity-Is weaker to the Hallucinations.If Woodie is added:Woodie:Positives:-Starts off with a Chainsaw, more efficient than the axe, though it must be refueled.-Chopping or Sawing trees boosts his sanity slightly.Negatives:-When trying to shave, his razor gets destroyed, as his beard is too wild and unshavable.-Has lower SanityIf it's Wilton instead:Wilton:Positives:-He can use dug graves as tents.-He can reanimate Boons to battle for him, though they will crumble to dust after one time use.Neutral:-When dying, he will crumble into dust instead of a standard death animation.Negatives:-Sleeping in Graves drops his Sanity by half.-He has less health.================================================== ===========-Spirit

Negatives:What you haveWickerbottom:Positives:-Gets a Sanity boost from being near Science Machines and Alchemy Engines-Same as beforeNegatives:-Loses Sanity from Using Magical Items.-Does less damage-Spirit

Note in don't starve Every character losses sanity from using magic items.

Maxwell: (No spoiler tag here, Kevin actually SAYS Spoilers Ahoy in the OP.)Positives: -Chess Pieces will obey him.-Same Starting equipment as before.-Doesn't require a Shadow Manipulator. He can make everything, after he makes the Alchemy Engine.Negatives:-Has lower Sanity-Is weaker to the Hallucinations.

Neutral:When he hears the normal music that plays in the sandox world he says "oh no not that music again" and then it plays the music box music afterwards (eventually fades into normal survival music)would be a funny easter egg wouldn't it?

Note in don't starve Every character losses sanity from using magic items.

Wickerbottom will lose more, because she's basically a Skeptic, and she would hate using it. Since Wilson is a Mad Scientist, he's more accepting to it.

Then maybe William will not lose sanity, or lose considerably less than others.

William Carter is Maxwell, and plus, there are NO details for a William Carter in the files.-Spirit