Skill Spotlight: Wigfrid and Willow (Available Now!)

9 minutes ago, Ryusuta said:

It's OKAY to take a break

It's not ok to take a break. 

What dst devs need is to change their schedule. In case they were still lying to themselves, this update proves that their 'monthly updates' thingy is a total bust; not only did the beta release in a general iffy state, with discussions and ideas still comming in, but the trailer for it is completely unrelated and the 'complete' merrymaker advertisement is a blatant lie.

In fact, I don't think there had been a year as unorganised as 2023 for dst. Ever since Taking Root each update was off, either having content that needed a lot more than 3 weeks of beta or the general timing of updates wasn't cutting it.

Dst devs need to drop at most 1 update every 6 months. Taking a 'huge' financial and player-count hit in 2024 to test taking an entire year to release a grand update wouldn't be a bad move on Klei's part either. After all, they still have that Tencet money, don't they? They can afford it.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Wavey 2
  • Shopcat 1

6 minutes ago, Paxtonnnn said:

This is definitely the most rushed I've ever seen Klei, but I hope they enjoy their break and can correct this stuff come January.

The team focused on the Merrymaker Set because of the holidays and more information about the choice for the animated short will arrive when we publish the next roadmap. We tend to bleed into the next roadmap at the end of the year.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1
  • Ninja 1
  • Health 2
  • Sanity 1
  • Sad Dupe 2

This update has yet to come out on Nintendo Switch and it has been almost an hour... Is the update being delayed, or is the updating process more difficult and/or time consuming on the Nintendo Switch? I only just recently got the Switch Edition in the past two weeks, so I wouldn't know if either of these are the case, and I also just figured I should ask on the behalf of all other Switch players. I've just been very excited to play around with what you guys have in store for us. Regardless of whether or not a delay on the update is going to happen, I wish you all a Merry Christmas! Happy Holidays!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JoeW said:

The team focused on the Merrymaker Set because of the holidays and more information about the choice for the animated short will arrive when we publish the next roadmap. We tend to bleed into the next roadmap at the end of the year.

Interesting, thanks for the info

1 minute ago, Catcoon321 said:

or is the updating process more difficult and/or time consuming on the Nintendo Switch?

That's the case, unfortunately. Updates are always late to the Switch version

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, JoeW said:

I think you guys should take more time for making the updates, it is nice that we get an update monthly but I would preffer you guys to not get overworked and rushed.

• Like 7

Still didn't reduce the cooldowns on Willows affinities or change them. (Aimable frost and better homing and just better shadowflame overall) Especially with the cooldowns, they feel lackluster. Either reduce the cooldowns and leave it at that, or keep them and buff them in the those aforementioned ways, or even do both! They're kinda niche to begin with, so I don't think it's balance that you should worry about. I hope you all will do her right in the future, but it's fine to leave it as it is for now and take a break for the holidays, you deserve it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MostMerryTomcat said:

I wish the video's elements could be materialized in-game too. Like Pig Homes maybe behaving like a 1-room Ham Shanty. Or the pretty consistent lore-drop regarding Shadow Watcher petting Woby, hinting at it possibly being benevolent and sapient, perhaps to even greater degree than corrupted Charlie - and playing some big role in future updates?! Quite a nice trailer, even though has nothing to do with Willow and Wigfrid's update, heh.

Now this is a stretch a extreme stretch but what if he's actually her owner?

great update, tho idk why shadowfire still has to have a cooldown when you have to cast it 7 times and use 7 times the embers to do the same amount of damage as lunar flames to only 8 targets instead of as many are in front of you.

Edited by Soul7k
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ryusuta said:

I'm sorry to say this, but you guys need a break.

I admire your efforts to release constant updates on a regular timeframe, but it's clearly exhausting you. Take a month or two off. When you come back, you can start hammering out a lot of the rough spots that have been popping up.

It's OKAY to take a break. Anyone complaining that updates aren't coming out fast enough are precisely the people you should be ignoring.

While your heart's in the right place most companies can't afford to take those breaks for fear of losing people it's just the sad reality of things and that's not really KLei's fault atleast I don't think so.

That being said I hope people cut them abit more slack about the short I mean I get people are disappointed but sheesh.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm sorry, but this is disappointing.

I get it that the team had to choose priorities. However this doesn't feel like Wigfrid and Willow Spotlight at all, there's virtually nothing in the marketing of this update that relates to the two characters who are supposed to be the main selling point. I wouldn't mind having the animated short not be entirely focused on Wigfrid and Willow, and having something else happening alongside it, but they don't even appear in the short (nor in the skins).

Yes, Winter's Feast is a big event, and what's coming next from this short probably is too, but Skill Spotlight is something that only happens once. Having this update robbed from the characters who got it just doesn't feel right.

(This is not to say i don't like the content of the update, while there are some rough patches, things did get improved during the beta and i think most of the changes were well done. But the presentation was just disappointing for completely overshadowing what was supposed to be a spotlight)

• Like 7

I want to reiterate some stuff and get a bit more positive about this release. This was one of my favorite recent trailers, it's adorable, and I don't ENTIRELY agree with people who say it doesn't work as a Winter's Feast trailer - though only because last Tales from the Constant was also Winter's Feast. Only adjustment I'd make in that regard personally would be to make it snowy as Walter's telling the story around the campfire. The interactions were adorable, and I think I'd even say the animation on the characters was noticeably better. While I'm hoping we get a proper Willow and Wigfrid trailer, I really enjoyed watching this.

Edited by Paxtonnnn
  • Like 2
  • Big Ups 1