Skill Spotlight: Wigfrid and Willow (Available Now!)

23 minutes ago, Kwaik said:

Frogs/pirates doe 

Plus the worst part of putting the all the way to the left is when trying to un equip items (ie to preserve fuel) and then having to scroll alll the wah to the left and then all the way to the right of the inventory. 

Game desperately needs a legit QOL patch for all the consoles for some of the basic functions (hp bars, inventory management) 

While we’re at it it makes absolutely NO SENSE at all to me why you can store important character items (like Wortox Souls & Willow Fire Embers) into a Backpack Slot, but can not actually use or interact with them unless moved to your default Inventory Slots.

a logical QOL would be that if the player has an empty inventory slot, that important ability use items like these Default to these slots and don’t end up unuseable in a Backpack slot.

My weapons and tools get so mixed up that it’s hard to even play the game sometimes- I Wish Klei would give this a QoL treatment such as for example Holding Down RB pulling up a Quick Equip wheel of Bounded Inventory slot items.

I can tell you it would be significantly easier to switch between Lighter/Torch, Cane, & Weapon if such a Simple thing was to be done for us Console gamers.

Edited by Mike23Ua

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

My weapons and tools get so mixed up that it’s hard to even play the game sometimes- I Wish Klei would give this a WoL treatment such as for example Holding Down RB pulling up a Quick Equip wheel of Bounded Inventory slot items.

I can tell you it would be significantly easier to switch between Lighter/Torch, Cane, & Weapon if such a Simple thing was to be done for us Console gamers.

I think even on PC there should be a way to bind a certain item to a button.  Even on PC there are issues with equipment getting messed up b/c of the way the game auto-fills / changes positions of equipment when its toggled.  Its something that *can* be used to your advantage in some niche scenarios, but its also a big drag when you're using like 5-6 ice staves for crab king and you miss swapping one of their positions and run out mid-casting..  it can ruin the whole fight.

but um... about the first point - Willow embers and Wortox souls cannot be put in a backpack or any other container.  If you see some method of placing them there report it as a bug.  They are supposed to only exist in the character's personal inventory.

5 hours ago, Kwaik said:

Frogs/pirates

Just put twigs on inventory 1...

About the rest,  idk why the console version isnt compatible with k&m, it would solve a lot of problems plus a proper qol for controler users

Any word on the roadmap? They mentioned something about why Willow and Wigfrid were neglected during their own update due to Winter's Feast taking priority, and that they would address it with the roadmap. I'm kinda curious about if/when they will be getting a short and skins.

• Like 3
  • Health 1

21 hours ago, Dr. Safety said:

Any word on the roadmap? They mentioned something about why Willow and Wigfrid were neglected during their own update due to Winter's Feast taking priority, and that they would address it with the roadmap. I'm kinda curious about if/when they will be getting a short and skins.

It’s a little bit too soon, the Year of events usually kick off at the end of January or early February, We probably won’t get a roadmap until YoTD starts.

I personally was EXTREMELY Disappointed in the lack of getting a new Bernie doll, skins for Wigfrids newly added shield, and most importantly of all things-Getting a Halloween themed furniture collection but not a Christmas Themed one. 

Yes Klei I want more stuff that looks like THIS added to the game during Christmas events-

05BF85CC-EE69-4AF0-8F7F-92F027CA2142.thumb.jpeg.adb13ad91a5299f28b0055746f0270f1.jpeg

Why.. Why do Bunnymen have pretty decorative lights but I can’t have a Christmas furniture set?

(I guess there’s always next year… but after Hallowed Nights getting one, I was looking excitedly forward to WintersFeast getting a set as well..)

And as Wendy would say: “This tinges my heart with a bitter taste of sadness.”

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

So did anyone find any quirky things you can do with Willow’s non spreading fires. I saw another player use it to manage weeds, and I used to “smoke out” bees, they are nonviolent.

Its not all specifically about fire spreading, but these are my techs for fire non-spreading, loot non-burning, and being able to easily extinguish flame with the lighter:

I light up bee / hornet hives / spider nests b/c they'll eventually die and drop the loot without me needing to go through all of the spawns.

I light up pig houses / bee hives / slurtle mounds to get the mobs to exit whenever I want.  For pigs maybe I'm wanting a new ham bat and its evening when I get there.  Just light it up, feed them once and extinguish the house.  I can then turn them were and get my mats.  Similar thing with bee hives if I want the embers I'll light the hive, attack for aggro, extinguish, then kill bees.  Amazing for bee boxes to kick-start production in the morning too!  Just light, extinguish, and watch the honey flow in.  Slurtle mounds can spawn snurtles.  Make sure you don't have any minerals nearby or in your inventory, then do a quick light / extinguish.  Slurtles will immediately return to the mound, while snurtles will flee from you.  You can quickly cycle this until you get a snurtle to kill for its shell.  A great thing about bee hives and slurtle mounds is lighting them doesn't damage them, so they can last forever.

I also like lighting structures on fire for heating / light.  Its not uncommon for any character to do this in the wilderness with a tree or something, but even in base sometimes I'll just light up my alchemy engine while I'm crafting, or I'll light up a crock pot while I'm cooking - etc.  The bait station is really good for this b/c even if it burns completely you get full resources for hammering this.  Burning structures are better than fireball, dwarf star, and even furnace for heating up to full 70 degrees.  Anyone could do the bait station, but with Willow's ability to extinguish you get the 3 cycles you need to get from 0 to 70 with only 1 time hammering it, and non-fire spreading means you don't need to worry much about where you're placing it.  I carry one of these with me when I go to the caves in winter b/c its very easy to heat back up, and pack it away.

Lighting boat structures like a pinch-in-winch is great for light and warmth.  Winter is a good time to hit up the monkey island, and this really helps Willow deal with the longer / colder winter nights without wasting tons of fuel.  Be mindful of the burn durations of course - or use a bait station b/c you can still get full resources back even if it burns out.

tl/dr I'm VERY glad Klei dropped the initial design of structures burning shorter lol

Edited by Yuuko
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

So did anyone find any quirky things you can do with Willow’s non spreading fires. I saw another player use it to manage weeds, and I used to “smoke out” bees, they are nonviolent.

Hilariously I’ve been playing exclusively as Willow (atleast until I get all 15 of her perks then I’ll switch to starting Wigfrids)

In my personal experience a few noteable things about Willows Abilities-

mobs burning for longer duration allows her to make an absolute joke of fighting Bearger, like I mean.. He runs around in panic mode the entire time, and when the fire extinguisher’s just wack him again with your lighter, Since loot no longer burns away for Willow you don’t even have to worry about bosses dying while on fire. And since the Fire Doesn’t Spread, you don’t have to worry about Bearger Accidentally setting an entire forest on fire (though his raged panicking will still chop down/uproot them)

Other cool additions to her skill tree come in the form of Bernie activating at higher sanity thresholds- Meaning he’s actually useable in Boss fights now so long as you keep your sanity above being able to summon Nightmare Creatures, but low enough Bernie activates to protect you.

Im really confused why Bernie has a bunch of perks for health restoration or higher overall health- It seems like Klei may have Forgotton one of Bernie’s Key Features…

And that would be providing Willow with Sanity (& a little extra warmth) while Held in the Hand Slot, it’s literally WHY just holding Bernie in your hand will Decrease Bernie’s Durability.

But yet NONE of his Skill Tree perks do anything to boost this?

In my opinion: Klei should remove one of the perks currently in Bernie’s skills and add one that actually fits with one of Bernie’s Core features.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Hilariously I’ve been playing exclusively as Willow (atleast until I get all 15 of her perks then I’ll switch to starting Wigfrids)

In my personal experience a few noteable things about Willows Abilities-

mobs burning for longer duration allows her to make an absolute joke of fighting Bearger, like I mean.. He runs around in panic mode the entire time, and when the fire extinguisher’s just wack him again with your lighter, Since loot no longer burns away for Willow you don’t even have to worry about bosses dying while on fire. And since the Fire Doesn’t Spread, you don’t have to worry about Bearger Accidentally setting an entire forest on fire (though his raged panicking will still chop down/uproot them)

Other cool additions to her skill tree come in the form of Bernie activating at higher sanity thresholds- Meaning he’s actually useable in Boss fights now so long as you keep your sanity above being able to summon Nightmare Creatures, but low enough Bernie activates to protect you.

Im really confused why Bernie has a bunch of perks for health restoration or higher overall health- It seems like Klei may have Forgotton one of Bernie’s Key Features…

And that would be providing Willow with Sanity (& a little extra warmth) while Held in the Hand Slot, it’s literally WHY just holding Bernie in your hand will Decrease Bernie’s Durability.

But yet NONE of his Skill Tree perks do anything to boost this?

In my opinion: Klei should remove one of the perks currently in Bernie’s skills and add one that actually fits with one of Bernie’s Core features.

I think that would be really cool if maybe there was a skill after regen 2 (like hotheaded is after sanity 2) that made holding Bernie regen him over time!  That would be really cool, and imo pretty fitting use of skill points AND b/c you're holding Bernie, you're not holding other things so its actually a cost kinda too.

frozen_2_olaf_i_love_warm_hugs_sketch_cl

Edited by Yuuko
  • Like 2
  • Health 1

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

While is is disappointing that using Willow’s idle animation wastes precious durability, she never really needed Bernie for that purpose, you can just burn trees to stay warm, they are everywhere, and now we can ignite and restore more

After experiencing Willow, who has a skill book, the biggest feeling is that Willow is still a 1.0 attack character. Although Willow has more powerful abilities against ancient enemies in the early stages of owning new flames or burning Bernie(She can still do it before the update), she is still a 1.0 character for the vast majority of bosses except for the queen bee.

The burning Bernie is incompatible with both new flames, and Bernie's performance against the boss is very average. It can be said that the boss always attacks Willow instead of Bernie. After adding the CD, Moon Fire showed almost no performance except for specific bosses. Shadow Fire is even worse, as its output is not as good as Shadow Blade's Shadow Fire. After adding a CD, the output is even lower. And the vast majority of bosses are immune to combustion. So Willow is no different from a 1.0 character in playing bosses.

If CD must exist, I hope Klei can reduce it even less, such as Moon Fire for 9 seconds and Shadow Fire for 4 seconds, and then increase the damage of Shadow Fire by a little, such as rise from 100 to 150.

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

Maybe Willow is supposed to be a 1.0 against most bosses 

But as of right now she's excellent for aoe which is something they're is very little or in this game. And offers some fairly good crowd control. 

She needs some changes, specifically the Bernie skill tree that really sucks. . I suspect once Wendy gets a skill tree Willow will be completely obsolete though

The TLDR is Willow being 1.0 is okay because she brings some other unique things to the table. She could use some small changes though 

Edited by Kwaik
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

19 hours ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

While is is disappointing that using Willow’s idle animation wastes precious durability, she never really needed Bernie for that purpose, you can just burn trees to stay warm, they are everywhere, and now we can ignite and restore more

As long as I’ve played and sorta semi main’d playing as Willow- Until last night I NEVER knew that just holding her lighter in her hand increased her Sanity… & I’m not sure if that’s something “New” that was added in with the Skill Trees update, if it’s an Unintended Bug, or What… but if just holding the lighter out DID always increase her Sanity then I now understand why all those Newbie Willows always Ran Around with their Lighters Equipped.

It also makes me question what the heck Bernie being holdable is for if the magical lighter (that can now easily be refueled..) can perform the same job, Yet using Bernie for the same use is extremely costly, and will eventually require you to use a sewing kit to perform repairs on.

Klei needs to look into this & perhaps change one of Bernie’s skills (I’d say remove the second faster running or tough stuffing) and replace it with a skill that gives Willow more Sanity, Warmth & very slowly repairs held Bernie.

Warm Hugs heal everything <3 

• Health 1

8 hours ago, zhangsheng said:

After experiencing Willow, who has a skill book, the biggest feeling is that Willow is still a 1.0 attack character. Although Willow has more powerful abilities against ancient enemies in the early stages of owning new flames or burning Bernie(She can still do it before the update), she is still a 1.0 character for the vast majority of bosses except for the queen bee.

The burning Bernie is incompatible with both new flames, and Bernie's performance against the boss is very average. It can be said that the boss always attacks Willow instead of Bernie. After adding the CD, Moon Fire showed almost no performance except for specific bosses. Shadow Fire is even worse, as its output is not as good as Shadow Blade's Shadow Fire. After adding a CD, the output is even lower. And the vast majority of bosses are immune to combustion. So Willow is no different from a 1.0 character in playing bosses.

If CD must exist, I hope Klei can reduce it even less, such as Moon Fire for 9 seconds and Shadow Fire for 4 seconds, and then increase the damage of Shadow Fire by a little, such as rise from 100 to 150.

I like that she shines in some fights (sometimes too much...) but not in every single fight and scenario

Just for how easy is to clean the ruins, clean spider infestation, dealing with hounds and deal with bosses like BQ she has become waaay stronger than she was before

If anything, i would like a fix on the IA of some mobs and minibosses to dont become such free kill

6 hours ago, arubaro said:

Just for how easy is to clean the ruins, clean spider infestation, dealing with hounds and deal with bosses like BQ she has become waaay stronger than she was before

Cleaning up spiders, hounds, and the like is not considered powerful, and now almost any character can do it. As for the ancient ruins, she used to be able to clean them easily, but now she's just more relaxed. As for the queen bee, I have to admit that Moon Fire easily defeated it, but that has little to do with her Shadow Fire and the burning Bernie. My feedback on her modifications is not a supermodel. If you want to modify IA, it involves the underlying logic of DST, which is not very easy to modify.

4 hours ago, zhangsheng said:

Cleaning up spiders, hounds, and the like is not considered powerful, and now almost any character can do it. As for the ancient ruins, she used to be able to clean them easily, but now she's just more relaxed. As for the queen bee, I have to admit that Moon Fire easily defeated it, but that has little to do with her Shadow Fire and the burning Bernie. My feedback on her modifications is not a supermodel. If you want to modify IA, it involves the underlying logic of DST, which is not very easy to modify.

One thing is that something wasnt hard and another is facerolling without any kind of danger or skill involved

Actually almost never use moon fire, what makes BQ and other fights so easy is combustion

We would need an update on old enemies if skill trees keep buffing characters to this point where there is no kind of difficulty at all against some enemies. Little by little the game would become an asian gatcha arpg

Edited by arubaro

34 minutes ago, arubaro said:

One thing is that something wasnt hard and another is facerolling without any kind of danger or skill involved

Actually almost never use moon fire, what makes BQ and other fights so easy is combustion

We would need an update on old enemies if skill trees keep buffing characters to this point where there is no kind of difficulty at all against some enemies. Little by little the game would become an asian gatcha arpg

If the game continues to add enhanced difficulty shadow/lunar versions of all the original bosses, and presumably some other new content along the way.. Power creep being a thing against the originals is not a big deal. If power creep made the entire game pointless, then I'd agree with you. But based off the last few months that doesn't seem to be the plan 

1 hour ago, arubaro said:

So I'm just proposing to enhance the two types of flames and Burney, and as for the fear of burning, it can be triggered by all characters. Each character can ignite and then attack to achieve the fear effect, but the dropped object will be burned. The biggest function of a willow is to better handle flames and prevent falling objects from being burned. This is difficult to correct, and if changed, Willow's new flame will have no distinctive features.

1 hour ago, arubaro said:

In the situation where there are already so many powerful character skill trees, the fact is that it has not become what you imagine. The skill tree update of Willow cannot change the nature of the entire game, just like character redoing, it only strengthens weaker characters to adapt to the intensity of the new version. Its nature is good and it is a supplement to balance character characteristics.

On console I have a hard time using Willow's blue flame. I found it clever that the arrow points backwards as in it's perfect for when you are mob wrangling because it doesn't require you to turn around. However if you stay still long enough the blue flames shoot from Willow's front. Honestly I haven't found any use for it other than killing deadly bright shades for no cost. Combustion, or just plain Bernie (doesn't even have to be Lunar) is way easier to execute. I wish they didn't revert the ability to use it on a beef. 

It sucks that you have to choose between Firefighter, fireball and the bonus damage in the lighter skills when you are trying to get a Bernie lunar / shadow skill tree plus one of her fire magic skills. 

Does anyone have hot-headed upgraded over other Bernie skills? I started off with that but I'm starting to think points are better spent on HP and HP regen because he runs off too much to kill shadow creatures when I want him to be adding more DPS (Though this is from my understanding has been his default behaviour forever). 

I do have a question for you Willow mains. What does end-game gear look like? I tried to play with rifts open early in the game but brightshade gear doesn't seem worth it unless you are going straight to AFW (Bright shade staffs the only thing that works on console vs AFW imo). It's too bad she doesn't feel like she scales in power as the game progresses because it makes her feel a little like Woodie (Though better overall). 

Early to mid-game I like to tame an ornery beefalo and if rifts are turned off I just use glass cutters for when I have to get off. So far I think the brightshade sword/helm is her best combo with either a mag or bone armor (haven't gotten it yet) or a marble suit. 

15 minutes ago, loonreaper said:

On console I have a hard time using Willow's blue flame. I found it clever that the arrow points backwards as in it's perfect for when you are mob wrangling because it doesn't require you to turn around. However if you stay still long enough the blue flames shoot from Willow's front. Honestly I haven't found any use for it other than killing deadly bright shades for no cost. Combustion, or just plain Bernie (doesn't even have to be Lunar) is way easier to execute. I wish they didn't revert the ability to use it on a beef. 

It sucks that you have to choose between Firefighter, fireball and the bonus damage in the lighter skills when you are trying to get a Bernie lunar / shadow skill tree plus one of her fire magic skills. 

Does anyone have hot-headed upgraded over other Bernie skills? I started off with that but I'm starting to think points are better spent on HP and HP regen because he runs off too much to kill shadow creatures when I want him to be adding more DPS (Though this is from my understanding has been his default behaviour forever). 

I do have a question for you Willow mains. What does end-game gear look like? I tried to play with rifts open early in the game but brightshade gear doesn't seem worth it unless you are going straight to AFW (Bright shade staffs the only thing that works on console vs AFW imo). It's too bad she doesn't feel like she scales in power as the game progresses because it makes her feel a little like Woodie (Though better overall). 

Early to mid-game I like to tame an ornery beefalo and if rifts are turned off I just use glass cutters for when I have to get off. So far I think the brightshade sword/helm is her best combo with either a mag or bone armor (haven't gotten it yet) or a marble suit. 

Klei did a great job giving Willow a kit that is fun, but ultimately very weak.  In a lot of fights she is no different from Wilson, and where you're landing with her for end game gear is pretty much it.  Bone armor / Magi, BS helm / sword, not much more to it for her...

idk why your Lunar Flame is changing directions.  It should aim whichever way you move, so maybe check your inputs that you're not stepping a bit in any direction on accident?

Alignment Bernie - Good as you value the skin.  If you want skills for mechanical purposes, you can easily pass on this one.

Hot Headed - This will cause Bernie to aggro the birds during the moonstorm event.  He can solo defend the invention while you play with parts making it a breeze.  Otherwise its pretty useless.

Burning Frenzy - The damage boost from this is pretty mild, especially when you consider its cast time, needing the light the enemy on fire, and the low duration.  You can easily pass on this skill if you need points somewhere else.

I usually go with the 3 lighter skills for flame duration and damage and all spells.  I take sanity and hot headed, 1 point to regen, and 2 to max health.  Then my alignment spell - usually Lunar Flame b/c I like how well it can clear monkeys and hounds, and it can be used for bee queen too if you farm up about 4-5 stacks of embers.

I do take Burning Frenzy.  I find lighting up Ancient Guardian and the Eye of Terror / Twins helps as a light source for their fight, and there is enough down time in their patterns to re-cast it as needed.  idk any other bosses I'd really call it out on though...

Sadly its been absolute silence from Klei since they unceremoniously pushed Willow out of beta...  Who knows if they'll come back to help her any.  As it sits she is kinda a discount Wendy.

48 minutes ago, loonreaper said:

Bright shade staffs the only thing that works on console vs AFW imo

you can circle around the arena and kill woven shadows until most of them are far enough to not reach FW while he's casting bone cage or attempting to mind control and they'll usually die before reaching him after killing all unseen hands and leading him into a corner so woven shadows won't spawn under him        

Edited by grm9

24 minutes ago, grm9 said:

you can circle around the arena and kill woven shadows until most of them are far enough to not reach FW while he's casting bone cage or attempting to mind control and they'll usually die before reaching him after killing all unseen hands and leading him into a corner so woven shadows won't spawn under him        

In console that isnt as reliable as in pc where you can do short telepuffs so you dont go far away from fw to deaggro him because he loses aggro and goes directly to eat. In console the distance to telepuff is fixed, he may eat by the time you get close to him again

15 minutes ago, arubaro said:

In console that isnt as reliable as in pc where you can do short telepuffs so you dont go far away from fw to deaggro him because he loses aggro and goes directly to eat. In console the distance to telepuff is fixed, he may eat by the time you get close to him again

This one is so annoying even on PC.  I find the best way to keep aggro is to telepoof as a dodge of an attack.  If I do this I'll keep AFW aggro even if I poof a distance, but if I poof in the cool down between attacks he decides to set up at the buffet.

18 minutes ago, arubaro said:

you can do bone cage dodges or teleport while he's in an animation except idle and walking

Klei did a great job giving Willow a kit that is fun, but ultimately very weak.  In a lot of fights she is no different from Wilson, and where you're landing with her for end game gear is pretty much it.  Bone armor / Magi, BS helm / sword, not much more to it for her...

That's unfortunate. She is super fun to play though kinda like Woodie, yet Woodie feels a little more polished somehow.  

idk why your Lunar Flame is changing directions.  It should aim whichever way you move, so maybe check your inputs that you're not stepping a bit in any direction on accident?

This may be a Nintendo Switch design choice. So as soon as you activate it the arrow points backwards. I think the intent was something is probably chasing you and you want a way to easily cast it. If you stay still for a couple seconds the arrow reverses and points forward. So let's say you're aiming for a deadly bright shade, you would stay still in order to aim it properly. 

I usually go with the 3 lighter skills for flame duration and damage and all spells.  I take sanity and hot headed, 1 point to regen, and 2 to max health.  Then my alignment spell - usually Lunar Flame b/c I like how well it can clear monkeys and hounds, and it can be used for bee queen too if you farm up about 4-5 stacks of embers.

I'm still playing around a little with the skills but I really dislike the amount of sacrifice you make for burning bernie. You essentially have to forgo all of your lighter skills to make it worth it. You wouldn't even be able to farm embers which is a shame. I know this is a more passive skilltree and probably takes way longer to kill bosses but what do you think about burning Bernie? Is there a viable, playable insight allocation for this?

I think my because burning frenzy just takes so much time to set up for me I would trade it for fireball and hot-headed for for tough stuffing 2. This leaves two more skill points for lunar bernie and lunar flame (Which I still am not a big fan of, I just don't see what else to put it into other than burning frenzy. 

Sadly its been absolute silence from Klei since they unceremoniously pushed Willow out of beta...  Who knows if they'll come back to help her any.  As it sits she is kinda a discount Wendy.

I definitely think she is better than Wendy for a lot of mobs. It's hard to manage Abby as well as she dies so easily versus bigger bosses. Even against Moosegoose she's useless because Abby gets targeted like crazy. But yeah... this is pre-skilltree Wendy which is a little scary to think about. And with a war beef + 154% petal boost damage, she actually does bosses extremely well if you're careful. 

I wish Klei just did something cool with the enlightened crown or gave her dragonfly armor an interesting bonus. Something, anything for end-game. Imagine if lunar flames triggered gestalts (Not for every hit but for a few of them).  

And lastly, anyone who hasn't fought AFW on the Switch, please consider yourself lucky and never do. You know how with Wilson or Wes you can just target his minions down with a walking cane? Can't even do that on the Switch. 

• Like 1