Please remove pillars degrading

Why is it so hard to understand that like @GLERMZsaid there is no survival aspect to pillars requiring repairs, earthquakes aren't a danger to you and we don't need any more chores.

I've played countless survival/sandbox games and most of them allow the player to overcome survival challenges and not have to deal with chores anywhere close to as much as DST does.

Does it make a difference to survival only player if I am able to build pillar made out of thulecite that doesn't require repairs? 

EDIT:

Just want to add that even the current pillar requiring only 40 rocks most survival players won't play long enough for it to need to be repaired and even if they do it is only a couple of rocks and just another chore that exists for no reason.

23 minutes ago, _zwb said:

The survival aspect of the game ends once you've made it through the first year. You wouldn't struggle to survive because you already have everything set up and ready. The second winter is just the same as the first, other than you have everything to counter it, I can't imagine anyone struggling to survive their second year when it's basically the same.

Not my point at all also I'd argue it ends even sooner that aside what I was getting at was the most approved mechanics of survival are lways the most superficial.

Hey guys! I'm unsure if anyone pointed it out here (admittedly I skimmed through the thread) but the degradation mechanic WAS changed a little bit in the recent patch!

Pillars can handle 10 earthquakes before they start degrading, and once they do start degrading, if you repair them at any point back to full, they'll be able to handle another 10 earthquakes before starting to degrade again.

They won't be affected at all if off-screen.

All things considered I think the degrading mechanic is quite fine now, even if not an actual danger/worry barely, it's pretty cute thematically and shouldn't be a bother! I'm not having much trouble with it personally in my own late game world.

5 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Hey guys! I'm unsure if anyone pointed it out here (admittedly I skimmed through the thread) but the degradation mechanic WAS changed a little bit in the recent patch!

Pillars can handle 10 earthquakes before they start degrading, and once they do start degrading, if you repair them at any point back to full, they'll be able to handle another 10 earthquakes before starting to degrade again.

They won't be affected at all if off-screen.

All things considered I think the degrading mechanic is quite fine now, even if not an actual danger/worry barely, it's pretty cute thematically and shouldn't be a bother! I'm not having much trouble with it personally in my own late game world.

I ran the numbers on this multiple times for those who are against it. They're against it on the principle that it shouldn't decay at all despite how insanely long the decay timer is personally I still don't see the problem with it.

Big Wall/Pillar builds are ok with this minimal degradation-over-time mechanic. Is barely perceptible since it last this long to actually collapse (40 quake events) and has visuals cues to that. Small upkeep in Survival ethos. Lore-wise Survivors are not Ancients building with Thulecite via forgotten/forbidden "arts & crafts". Plus they stop all earthquake debris, especially the Boulders - small price to pay for big bons.

2 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

I ran the numbers on this multiple times for those who are against it. They're against it on the principle that it shouldn't decay at all despite how insanely long the decay timer is personally I still don't see the problem with it.

I don't like the idea of having yet another chore on the list, as it was already suggested there could be a better pillar that costs more than this one, otherwise I still stand on pillars not having to degrade because I don't see why they should, to begin with earthquakes are not some extremely dangerous threat and actually help you more than they hinder you, I see no reason to have a subscription service to have less resources on caves.

As another point, if the pillars take insanely long to degrade, why bother making them do so in the first place?

12 minutes ago, CuteC said:

I don't like the idea of having yet another chore on the list, as it was already suggested there could be a better pillar that costs more than this one, otherwise I still stand on pillars not having to degrade because I don't see why they should, to begin with earthquakes are not some extremely dangerous threat and actually help you more than they hinder you, I see no reason to have a subscription service to have less resources on caves.

As another point, if the pillars take insanely long to degrade, why bother making them do so in the first place?

You know at this point I've just accepted that there are people who don't like playing don't starve together as a survival game If a mechanic is too invasive it needs to be removed but if it's not invasive enough it should be moved off the table entirely by a passive solution it seems.  You all have access to a permanent pillar it's called not turning on the event or turning it off in the settings. If people don't enjoy new survival mechanics being introduced by the rifts they shouldn't turn them on because people who enjoy survival content do and Kiel is clearly trying to please both sides by making this new survival content optional through these rifts.This is really becoming the equivalent of the celestial portal and bug thread going on.

The reason they even have the long degrade time is because of people asking to nerf and remove any survival mechanics added they're being put in a damned if you do damned if you don't situation by people who feel they should be able to participate in the end game without experiencing the effects of what they means.

It's a bit of a pattern right now where Klei introduces a poorly thought out mechanic, people complain about it being poorly thought out, Klei essentially neutrers the mechanic instead of trying to fix it, and then people like ya'll complain that ohh we got Klei to neuter that really good mechanic!!!!!!

It legitimately feels like there are folks on these forums who get a visceral sense of joy from the idea of someone's base being destroyed by factors they cannot control or prevent, and when Klei adds a solution to those factors, they want them to be temporary purely out of spite. If ya'll want survival challenges in this game, it's really not THAT hard to make ones that don't just destroy everything in sight with no recourse. Instead of blaming the players who dislike mechanics that randomly destroy, you should be demaning more creativity from Klei in terms of threats.

• Developer

Just updating you guys because it didn't make it into beta before the weekend, but we are currently working on adding facings to the pillar, as well as a Dreadstone variant.

6 minutes ago, V2C said:

Just updating you guys because it didn't make it into beta before the weekend, but we are currently working on adding facings to the pillar, as well as a Dreadstone variant.

Very exciting, I love these heads up from you lot!
They're simple but they go a long way letting people know you're listening!

18 minutes ago, V2C said:

Here's hoping the dreadstone variant isn't to make the mechanic pointless...

25 minutes ago, V2C said:

Hopefully dreadstone variant doesn't degrade and maybe a bigger range.

3 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

Here's hoping the dreadstone variant isn't to make the mechanic pointless...

I presume Dreadstone version will be akin to Ruin's Thulecite pillars, given Dreadstone is a rare material - once build is forever, unless player decides to demolish it (probably via explosives). From what I've seen vast majority of posters want a "0 upkeep" pillar variant, and Dreadstone one seems to fit the bill. That will indeed be in tune with lore as well, as opposed to rocks column.

20 minutes ago, MostMerryTomcat said:

I presume Dreadstone version will be akin to Ruin's Thulecite pillars, given Dreadstone is a rare material - once build is forever, unless player decides to demolish it (probably via explosives). From what I've seen vast majority of posters want a "0 upkeep" pillar variant, and Dreadstone one seems to fit the bill. That will indeed be in tune with lore as well, as opposed to rocks column.

Idk I just don't see the point of adding the mechanic at that point I mean we're turning on a mechanic to immediately turn it off forever at that point but it's whatever I guess I just feel like if we're heading in that direction the mechanic should just be removed. 

9 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

Idk I just don't see the point of adding the mechanic at that point I mean we're turning on a mechanic to immediately turn it off forever at that point but it's whatever I guess I just feel like if we're heading in that direction the mechanic should just be removed. 

Idk if you’re making an investment like dreadstone which is pretty costly I think it’s a fair mechanic. You can be cheap but deal with the possibility of it breaking or spend a high one time cost to not deal with it. Still kind of on the fence with it though.

2 hours ago, Dextops said:

Idk if you’re making an investment like dreadstone which is pretty costly I think it’s a fair mechanic. You can be cheap but deal with the possibility of it breaking or spend a high one time cost to not deal with it. Still kind of on the fence with it though.

I am thinking they might make dreadstone self repair or something since it is their identity.

14 hours ago, 00petar00 said:

Why is it so hard to understand that like @GLERMZsaid there is no survival aspect to pillars requiring repairs, earthquakes aren't a danger to you and we don't need any more chores.

I've played countless survival/sandbox games and most of them allow the player to overcome survival challenges and not have to deal with chores anywhere close to as much as DST does.

Does it make a difference to survival only player if I am able to build pillar made out of thulecite that doesn't require repairs? 

EDIT:

Just want to add that even the current pillar requiring only 40 rocks most survival players won't play long enough for it to need to be repaired and even if they do it is only a couple of rocks and just another chore that exists for no reason.

They changed this awhile ago. They did it 2 hotfixes ago during the Woodie nerf era.

Screenshot_20230722-074912_Ecosia.jpg

15 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

At this point I'm wondering if people even like this being a survival game.

There are plenty of threats, plenty of survival they can add, earthquakes aint one. If you dying to them or as a cause of them, you just terribly bad at the game, and if you terrible bad at the game you either get boosted in a world or you never even get to experience rifts, unless you activate them before you should get them. You not really become a glorified survivalist for having to deal with boulders instead of just rocks like before, when they pratically do the same damage, drop at the same velocity, etc, except needing to be mined after or cause destruction for people who don't have in order to survive, but decide to build downstairs. Even for just a pure survivalist you dont have to do a single pilar.

Your idea of Survival is simply very flawed. Boulders didn't brought any more challenge whatsoever to the earthquakes, or killing possibility for that matter. Instead of trying to hold your ground on this, would be better to be creative and start giving suggestions on what kind of threats they can apply to THE PLAYER in order to make our survivability harder.
Acid raid is a great introduction that they can expand on for example.

As a final note, good luck filling your entire caves with dreadstone to, as on your own words, disable forever a "survival ability".
You will have to do a bunch of actual survival and fighting until you get there :) But i doubt you will even stick enough on a world to do that, but i might be wrong.

i think they will make its have a similar fashion to what trappes the werepig boss.

had a feeling that might need marble and dreadstone to build? and use marble to upkeep.

the deadstone pillar looks awesome. I love that greek* inspired aesthetics. 

2 hours ago, NNOUS said:

i think they will make its have a similar fashion to what trappes the werepig boss.

A giant marble and dreadstone pillar would be fantastic, though I’m worried it’ll just be a regular pillar but made of dreadstone, like the walls

7 hours ago, GLERMZ said:

There are plenty of threats, plenty of survival they can add, earthquakes aint one.

They can't as this is another show that the only accepted apsects of survival they can introduce are those that have negligible impact and this was already pretty mild. Placing enemies or bosses in a random area of the map with nothing compelling you to interact isn't survival it's just a new challenge but this isn't just a fighting game.

7 hours ago, GLERMZ said:

As a final note, good luck filling your entire caves with dreadstone to, as on your own words, disable forever a "survival ability".
You will have to do a bunch of actual survival and fighting until you get there :) But i doubt you will even stick enough on a world to do that, but i might be wrong.

The only thing you need to protect with them is structures after that it stops being about survival and I guess we're pretending duping doesn't exist 

I'd argue the only real exception we've had so far is bright shades though those do need their spawn rates tweaked a bit which is said to be happening when we get more mobs.

Also I understand it's the hip thing these days to treat anyone who dislikes how mechanic is being handled as a worshiper of the mechanic I'm going to add once again before you guys try to paint me as something else I'm not really upset about the solution but the principle behind the solution.

1 hour ago, Mysterious box said:

They can't as this is another show that the only accepted apsects of survival they can introduce are those that have negligible impact and this was already pretty mild. Placing enemies or bosses in a random area of the map with nothing compelling you to interact isn't survival it's just a new challenge but this isn't just a fighting game.

The only thing you need to protect with them is structures after that it stops being about survival and I guess we're pretending duping doesn't exist 

I'd argue the only real exception we've had so far is bright shades though those do need their spawn rates tweaked a bit which is said to be happening when we get more mobs.

Also I understand it's the hip thing these days to treat anyone who dislikes how mechanic is being handled as a worshiper of the mechanic I'm going to add once again before you guys try to paint me as something else I'm not really upset about the solution but the principle behind the solution.

I understand why we are on opposites sides now on this matter, we just have a different view and opinion on what Survival is and i don't think that will change. As i said in a previous post, i politely withdraw from further discussion on this subject since i feel both sides were already presented enough :)

I’m not a fan of Cave Quake Boulders, they’re boring.. and maybe they’re there for a lore reason (after all you gotta bust through a bunch of boulders to get to the hidden archives) but as a Survival based challenge… these things suck.

ALSO I’m DEFIANTLY not a fan of adding a problem to the game and then adding a permanent solution to that problem almost instantly.

With that kind of mindset: Iceflingo Machines would only need a Chilled Amulet socketed into them to run indefinitely Forever.

Its as equally stupid as Boulder Quakes.

What would have been “Cool” however is if these more intense quakes would’ve rained boosted enemies from the sky’s, such as Highly ticked off Rock Lobsters who are mad and hostile because Acid Rain is burning through their shells in addition to the boring boulders that fall.

OR if we could’ve used Boulder Quakes as a Legitimate survival Mechanic (the loading screen for terrors below clearly show them coming out of craters in the ground, so just like sealing off a Locust Spawn point in a Gears of War game- it would’ve been cool if I could’ve ran around these areas forcing the Boulder rain to fall and seal them back off.

Instead- what we have is a boring mechanic that will more than most likely get entirely ignored when Klei adds the permanent solution to it. 

Archived