Please remove pillars degrading

How do you even repair them? I hover a rock over the cracked one, and nothing happens. Just like nothing happens when you hover a piece of marble over a broken glommer statue, which I have NO idea as to why it hasn't been added into the game where it can be repaired, as it does nothing to affect survival, and might even serve to be a detriment, thus adding more challenge

Just now, NNOUS said:

Yes, and the dev team invested money and time drawing the structure damage animation, I guess someone's suggest would lead those efforts to nothing.

To be honest, the crack adds character, and if the quake degradation were scrapped, I'd still appreciate it if a couple of shots with the pickaxe gave it the weathered look.

Also, bring back woodie's 136

23 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

On the flipside you could equally make the argument for season equipment and say that's a good reason to implement universal gear that ignores heat and cold. My issue mainly comes from if they're going to add a mechanic to signify the endgame I don't feel like we should suddenly get the ability to turn it off forever. If that's what the point of the pillars is going to turn into I'd rather they just cut out the middle man and just remove the mechanic and come back with something better.

The point is that Boulders literally added no challenge whatsoever and were pointless to begin with? Heck, in the eventuality that one is really bad at kitting such obvious shadows, even when fighting other stuff, they barely do any damage to the player. They literally only affect people who live in the caves, and dont affect them but the stuff they make.
This decaying destroys a nice solution to a problem Klei created that brought no extra challenge whatsoever. In that regard, Acid Rain makes much more sense and is a much better implementation of a rift mechanic.

Also the earthquakes really just punish long world players, because you don't need to do any pillars to beat the entire bosses, or any future coming for that matter. Just another Chore for the countless ones we already have to do if we decide to stick around in the same world after going through all the content.

1 hour ago, NNOUS said:

Yes, and the dev team invested money and time drawing the structure damage animation, I guess someone's suggest would lead those efforts to nothing.

This is the case for many games with things such as concept art and later changes, just like the removal of disease, not everything may be used or it may later be changed for (hopefully) the better.

They have done this more than once, some examples can be reap what you sow and the latest Wigfrid helm skin.

1 hour ago, GLERMZ said:

The point is that Boulders literally added no challenge whatsoever and were pointless to begin with? Heck, in the eventuality that one is really bad at kitting such obvious shadows, even when fighting other stuff, they barely do any damage to the player. They literally only affect people who live in the caves, and dont affect them but the stuff they make.
This decaying destroys a nice solution to a problem Klei created that brought no extra challenge whatsoever. In that regard, Acid Rain makes much more sense and is a much better implementation of a rift mechanic.

Also the earthquakes really just punish long world players, because you don't need to do any pillars to beat the entire bosses, or any future coming for that matter. Just another Chore for the countless ones we already have to do if we decide to stick around in the same world after going through all the content.

Seasons themselves don't really offer a challenge either though they're mild inconveniences you work around while doing things that are actually challenging. Yea it mainly harms people who live in the caves but how is that different from summer mainly harming people who live on the surface?

Removing the decay asks the question well why is this mechanic even here? I'm not saying it's some amazing mechanic but if all it's here for is that we build a pillar and forget it's existence then why even have it in the first place?

1 hour ago, GLERMZ said:

I mean this will basically apply to any content that isn't just insert boss here added in this arc so should we just add nothing? If your choosing to activate this content you should accept that extra steps are going to be added to survival. It's also all the more reason we shouldn't have content added that immediately disappears.

28 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

Seasons themselves don't really offer a challenge either though they're mild inconveniences you work around while doing things that are actually challenging. Yea it mainly harms people who live in the caves but how is that different from summer mainly harming people who live on the surface?

Removing the decay asks the question well why is this mechanic even here? I'm not saying it's some amazing mechanic but if all it's here for is that we build a pillar and forget it's existence then why even have it in the first place?

I mean this will basically apply to any content that isn't just insert boss here added in this arc so should we just add nothing? If your choosing to activate this content you should accept that extra steps are going to be added to survival. It's also all the more reason we shouldn't have content added that immediately disappears.

I get that in your point of view this is a "survival" aspect and thats where i disagree. You can survive infinite ammount of time with a setup smaller than a flingo range, which would make any enveiroment distruction moot. If survival is the only thing it matters for you, most of the stuff you can build in this game is pointless for you. This type of enveiroment additions that are only a threat to builds over player safety and survivibility are shocking. Exacly the reason why i gave the example of Acid Rain that is well implemented as it only affects player survibability and alters completly your playstyle specially if you clearing ruins, fighting boss etc. The addition of mechanics like the boulders doesnt alter your survival paradigm whatsoever.

Also the objective of every survival game out there is you eventually overcoming most of your challenges, not constantly applying bandages over and over again. DST already has an insane ammount of chores the more time you stick in the same world.

10 minutes ago, GLERMZ said:

I get that in your point of view this is a "survival" aspect and thats where i disagree. You can survive infinite ammount of time with a setup smaller than a flingo range, which would make any enveiroment distruction moot. If survival is the only thing it matters for you, most of the stuff you can build in this game is pointless for you. This type of enveiroment additions that are only a threat to builds over player safety and survivibility are shocking. Exacly the reason why i gave the example of Acid Rain that is well implemented as it only affects player survibability and alters completly your playstyle specially if you clearing ruins, fighting boss etc. The addition of mechanics like the boulders doesnt alter your survival paradigm whatsoever.

Also the objective of every survival game out there is you eventually overcoming most of your challenges, not constantly applying bandages over and over again. DST already has an insane ammount of chores the more time you stick in the same world.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree here but that aside my bigger issue still lies in that if the mechanic is disruptive enough that we feel we need a structure removing it entirely without ever interacting with it again maybe we should just cut out the middle man and remove the mechanic and replace it with something else no? 

12 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree here but that aside my bigger issue still lies in that if the mechanic is disruptive enough that we feel we need a structure removing it entirely without ever interacting with it again maybe we should just cut out the middle man and remove the mechanic and replace it with something else no? 

I made that point above. This was a bad concept created by Klei, and instead of re-evaluating it they decided to just give a pillar that not only prevents the mechanic they add, it completely removed all of the pre-rift interactions. I would just rather not have Boulders and Pillar and stick to the normal earthquakes than adding another chore to my to do list.
They should have simply just added Acid Rain. If anything they should have went far and beyond with the Acid to make it even more impactful like making all creatures in caves during its rain, corrosive, breaking your armor faster, applying more damage, heck even applying poison damage. They can do a lot of mechanics that are trully impactful for your player survivability instead of pointless mechanics that will not kill you and only annoy you.

17 minutes ago, GLERMZ said:

You can survive infinite ammount of time with a setup smaller than a flingo range, which would make any enveiroment distruction moot.

He's  completely right. Have any of you on the forums heard of this character named Wigfrid?

She's the cockroach of Don't Starve and having a boulder fall on her head would actually prolong her survival chance.

Actually, she's arguably more productive if you have fewer structures built. 

Apply a lot of these principals to other characters and some of it translates.
You can't destroy a base if there's no base to destroy.

Surviving modestly seriously does not take take much at all. You could live entirely off of blue and green mushrooms and they grow wild in the caves.

If your good at the game then having indestructible pillars won’t matter to you one way or another, but if your like me and no matter how long you’ve played you still suck- Then yes barely attempting to limp out of a cave system alive on 3 hp and starving to death/going insane to try and get back to the surface only to be cracked in the head by something falling in a cave earthquake (regular earthquake not the Boulder Quakes) and die.. is not only hilariously unlucky, but it’s also a learning experience 

Now since I can’t play in betas, I don’t actually know if you can build these support pillars without needing to trigger post AFW/CC content OR if they’re just a new structure Klei slapped into the game mid-update like they did with the boxer dummies & fencing sword.

If you can ONLY craft these Pillars after killing CC and AFW and activating the new Boulder Quakes: Then maybe they should be indestructible.. but if you can just craft these pillars super super early in: then it removes the challenge (yes I freaking said challenge!) of having regular, Non- Boulder Quakes drop debris on your noggin unprepared/off-guard.

A lot of people play this game from an Elitest perspective, but I’m not ashamed at all to admit I’ve hilariously died to something silly like a falling Moleworm in a cave quake.

On 7/19/2023 at 2:06 AM, Mike23Ua said:

The problem is your taking the challenges that have existed in the game for literally an entire decade, and your completely removing those challenges with a permanent new structure.

Klei did this once already with Above Average Tree Canopy’s and Summer…

It is turning a Survival game (with a mode labeled and intended to be about survival) into casual Sandbox Mode.

This is why Pillars still need Upkeep Costs, otherwise: It’s a Permanent solution to a long existing game mechanic.

Lightning Rods existed since DS and in both games they pernamently protect your base from getting destroyed by Lightning and your noggin from getting zapped aswell.

They require no upkeep cost in both games.

Pillars protect your base from getting smashed by boulders and your noggin from getting hit by rocks and stones.

Yet for some reason pillars are the ones that require upkeep..?

12 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

Lightning Rods existed since DS and in both games they pernamently protect your base from getting destroyed by Lightning and your noggin from getting zapped aswell.

They require no upkeep cost in both games.

Pillars protect your base from getting smashed by boulders and your noggin from getting hit by rocks and stones.

Yet for some reason pillars are the ones that require upkeep..?

One is in the game by default with no interaction from the player the other is turned on when heading into the end game.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

A lot of people play this game from an Elitest perspective, but I’m not ashamed at all to admit I’ve hilariously died to something silly like a falling Moleworm in a cave quake.

We have all been careless and died to something we shouldn't have. I've probably play too much Wigfrid as I walk around the ruins without armor. However, this is conducive to bad play. 

Being good at dst is literally 90% have good gear. 

If you have good gear, you generally don't die. You run into the ruins naked with a torch, you're not going to see a nightmare beak in front of you.

I can't play this game from any sort of elitist perspective because I know that anyone can get good at this game. This isn't street fighter, melee or starcraft 2 where there is a tech demand of 6apm. 

This game is all about knowledge. THE most dangerous situation you will ever be in when it comes to don't starve in general is when you're holding either WASD while frantically clicking Q and E. 

However, take yourself out of dangerous situation and you will live indefinitely.

Before I started to get consistent at raid bosses, I literally spent in game years gearing up before I even hazard an attempt. 

And in all that time, I stayed very healthy because I didn't put myself in danger. 

Punishing players for something so arbitrary as making a base look nice isn't fun. 

It isn't difficult, it isn't engaging, it's just so annoying, you would elect to not have a scythe or goth beach umbrella just to conserve your art. 

I've got my own personal issues with fire hounds, but it's been the status quo and at the current moment won't challenge it. It's a grandfathered P.I.T.A. 

Anyway, this game is really as hard as you make it, and if it means sacrificing content just to persist with your art, it's a REALLY sad direction to go.

That's why I'm in favor of indestructible pillars. That and 136 damage smash. 

1 hour ago, Mysterious box said:

One is in the game by default with no interaction from the player the other is turned on when heading into the end game.

Tell that to the book wielding witch that can turn on rain and lightning with the snap of her fingers.

Also Cave Ins are in the game by default with no interaction from the player they just gain additional force when you enable rifts.

Both Lightinng and Quakes affect the the player in very similar way and both have structures that counter them in very similar way.

Adding upkeep to one and is nonsense. 

This is not a new thing of adding a structure to protect you and your base from harsh elements forever for no additional upkeep or being able to flatout turn them off ingame (keyword ingame not talking about world options menu).

This was a thing since original DS and included countering end game enviromental threats aswell.

Not sure why according to some of these comments it suddenly now needs to have downsides like upkeep..

I do not like where all this is going ..

18 minutes ago, kevindaze said:

Why tho? We need to maintain ice flingo too, don't we?

People already don't like wildfires and generally just go to caves to avoid them, or they base in the Oasis. The Flingo is not a design choice that should be emulated. Furthermore, unlike pillars, flingoes are needed to allow your plants to continue producing food and resources during the summer, so even if we assume that the flingo is good design, there's at least the potential justification of it providing you with food and resources to offset the maintinence, something the pillars do not have.

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I don’t actually know if you can build these support pillars without needing to trigger post AFW/CC content

Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the blueprint's obtained from Ancient Guardian

22 hours ago, chirsg said:

He's  completely right. Have any of you on the forums heard of this character named Wigfrid?

She's the cockroach of Don't Starve and having a boulder fall on her head would actually prolong her survival chance.

TBH it doesn't just apply to Wig, earthquakes will also drop 2/3 ingredients needed to make life giving amulets. All you gotta do is nab some nightmare fuel from ruins nightmares, your own nightmares, or a shadow splumonkey. It's really not about survival in this case.

Normally I'm with @GLERMZ, but I think there's a bit of a knee-jerk reaction about the pillar degradation on the forums. How many people here have actually felt inconvenienced by it yet?

From what I understand, pillars only degrade when blocking earthquakes, which means they only degrade while players are nearby and while earthquakes are happening. Megabasers who put pillars everywhere shouldn't have to worry about noticeable degradation from many of the pillars they place. Additionally, if degradation does occur, it would be while the player is already there, and thus can be repaired immediately (and if you have just a couple rocks, you can fully repair multiple pillars easily).

20 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

At this point I'm wondering if people even like this being a survival game.

The survival aspect of the game ends once you've made it through the first year. You wouldn't struggle to survive because you already have everything set up and ready. The second winter is just the same as the first, other than you have everything to counter it, I can't imagine anyone struggling to survive their second year when it's basically the same.

Archived