Please remove pillars degrading

I don't want to have to maintain something that's mostly gonna be there to make sure I don't have to look at a bunch of minerals being all over the floor, or worry about moleworms dropping onto depths dweller nests. If the current pillar is considered too cheap for that, then perhaps add a thulecite pillar or something as an upgrade. I was looking forward to not having to deal with earthquake minerals where I didn't want them, so finding out the degredation exists is a huge bummer.

I personally don't see why we shouldn't have it degrade because if it degrading gets removed I'd once again ask what would even be the point of the mechanic it's supposed to prevent existing in the caves to begin with.

On a side note I've not had a chance to check the degrade times on the new pillars due to using most of my time testing interactions with the new skill trees what's the current degrade time limit?

4 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

I personally don't see why we shouldn't have it degrade because if it degrading gets removed I'd once again ask what would even be the point of the mechanic it's supposed to prevent existing in the caves to begin with.

You could make the same argument for lightning rods, above average trees, and glowcaps. The mechanic forces you to put in extra effort to make an area more habitable, I don't think the maintinence is an important part of that. It's not like flingomatics are a beloved or valued part of the game, there's a reason a lot of people base in oasis, go to caves, or just straight up turn off wildfires.

1 minute ago, Masked Koopa said:

You could make the same argument for lightning rods, above average trees, and glowcaps. The mechanic forces you to put in extra effort to make an area more habitable, I don't think the maintinence is an important part of that. It's not like flingomatics are a beloved or valued part of the game, there's a reason a lot of people base in oasis, go to caves, or just straight up turn off wildfires.

On the flipside you could equally make the argument for season equipment and say that's a good reason to implement universal gear that ignores heat and cold. My issue mainly comes from if they're going to add a mechanic to signify the endgame I don't feel like we should suddenly get the ability to turn it off forever. If that's what the point of the pillars is going to turn into I'd rather they just cut out the middle man and just remove the mechanic and come back with something better.

20 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

On a side note I've not had a chance to check the degrade times on the new pillars due to using most of my time testing interactions with the new skill trees what's the current degrade time limit?

I'm unsure about this but I believe it has a durability of 40 that goes down by 1(?) every time there's an earthquake while it's loaded.

Source:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.9f07e017dc283ba419abac665735f139.png

12 minutes ago, Masked Koopa said:

The problem is your taking the challenges that have existed in the game for literally an entire decade, and your completely removing those challenges with a permanent new structure.

Klei did this once already with Above Average Tree Canopy’s and Summer…

It is turning a Survival game (with a mode labeled and intended to be about survival) into casual Sandbox Mode.

This is why Pillars still need Upkeep Costs, otherwise: It’s a Permanent solution to a long existing game mechanic.

10 minutes ago, Arcwell said:

I'm unsure about this but I believe it has a durability of 40 that goes down by 1(?) every time there's an earthquake while it's loaded.

Source:

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.9f07e017dc283ba419abac665735f139.png

So assuming this is right it means you have to repair it between every 40-120 days assuming players don't force additional earthquakes. If this is true then I feel like this is more than fair since on average you'd likely only need to bother with it 1 to 1 and a half in game years at a time.

18 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

The problem is your taking the challenges that have existed in the game for literally an entire decade, and your completely removing those challenges with a permanent new structure.

It is turning a Survival game (with a mode labeled and intended to be about survival) into casual Sandbox Mode.

This is why Pillars still need Upkeep Costs, otherwise: It’s a Permanent solution to a long existing game mechanic.

It should be more expensive. 

8 minutes ago, Habakkuk said:

It should be more expensive. 

I’m not sure about that, but what NEEDS to happen (& I pray to god someone at Klei see’s this post and takes it under heavy consideration..)

Is that Klei needs to start actually utilizing their World Gen Settings and World Presets.

It is clear that one “Default” mode of play isn’t going to satisfy everyone…

But what WOULD Satisfy Everyone is in the same way you can now choose to take 40% Reduced Damage, Regular Damage or 40% Increased Damage, or in the same way you can Now Toggle Wildfires to happen MORE Often (yes that’s a real choice now..)

In this same way, klei can provide toggles for additional stuff, like Pillar Degrade Time- Faster, Slower, Never.. etc.

I don’t end up playing a survival game where Survival Mode becomes an Open Ended Sandbox by giving permanent solutions to the games challenges unless I very specifically TOGGLE my game to behave in that way.

It is important that I complain about this because UNLIKE people on PC who can just create or install a mod, the changes Klei does to the game on XBOX or Irreversible for me.

And rather than getting a permeant solution to summer with the Canopy, or rather than having the original implementation of the pirate curse Nerfed into a laughable over thought.

Klei can maybe perhaps start using those world Gen settings to further differentiate ENDLESS MODE from SURVIVAL MODE.

Common sense should say Pillars would not decay on Endless Mode unless I very specifically change the setting so they CAN, And they WOULD Decay in Survival Mode unless a very specifically toggle them so they CAN NOT.

This has been the entire argument I’ve been trying to have since the very first day I joined these forums… sadly it’s only just now, that I’ve been able to find a way to word it in a way that (hopefully..) people understand.

1 hour ago, Random Guy000 said:

Unrelated, but does anyone have a reason for why earthquakes still bother ruins, considering that the pillars are all over the place there?

earthquakes dont happen in the archives at all, so why isn't this a thing?

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

The game has not been pure survival for a long, long, long time. Pretty much every boss barring perhaps deerclops, is only going to make your chances of survival worse, because the reward they offer isn't going to reduce your chance of death anywhere near as much as taking on the boss would increase it. The game has had sandbox elements since pretty much forever, being filled with random decour items like the potted fern, the whole slanty shanty experience, option challenges like the afforementioned bosses, or the ruins, the ability to re-turf areas to your liking, etc. DST has really only amped this up compared to ROG, adding boss statues, Cawnival decour, Dock kits, above average trees, potted succulent, the ability to craft archives/ruins turf, glowcaps, etc. Although it probably still falls short of what Hamlet has to offer.

I also have to wonder what exactly you think is even added by earthquakes to where having a permanent solution is diminishing the survival aspect. Have you ever died to falling debris? Because I know I haven't. Any player that is dying to falling debris is 100% not wearing armour, and such a player isn't going to be able to gather a stack of rocks to make a support beam to protect themselves. If you were really concerned about the loss of survival mechanics, you'd be much better off advocating for the return of disease, or asking Klei to nerf things like bull kelp, stone fruitm, or banana bushes. The reason I (and most others, I would presume) want to block falling debris is because I think it looks ugly, not because I want to make it easier for me to survive. Hell, the earthquake minerals are straight up a battle helm and live giving amulet delivery system, they arguably make the game easier.

I'll be the one [1] that'll note that they enjoy the upkeep.

HOWEVER; Hear me out.

I like having the upkeep as long as it's not blatantly absurd.

Having multiple around should negate the damage of those around it. Not every pillar should receive damage if one is holding the roof up. 
The 40 durability limit is fine since it seems like there's a chance of it just refunding you the rock that fell out of place. It's a nice structuce to invest those rocks into late game.
I think having a mega structure that you keep from toppling over is fun! It's interactive, it does its job, and so long as the upkeep isn't tedious I don't mind investing into something that'll protect the base.

Keep the criteria small, only one of nearby loaded pillars should take damage, refund some rocks if it is damaged, and then leave them alone off-screen.
I think it'd be more than fair, 40 is a LOT of earthquakes to go through AND they show their damage visually so you're always aware if you're paying attention!

8 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

they literally make the game easier idk what you're on about

8 hours ago, lenship2 said:

earthquakes dont happen in the archives at all, so why isn't this a thing?

Obviously Them sucks at making earthquake-proof ceilings and the ancients can't make one anymore without Alter holding their hands for them.

10 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’m not sure about that, but what NEEDS to happen (& I pray to god someone at Klei see’s this post and takes it under heavy consideration..)

Is that Klei needs to start actually utilizing their World Gen Settings and World Presets.

It is clear that one “Default” mode of play isn’t going to satisfy everyone…

But what WOULD Satisfy Everyone is in the same way you can now choose to take 40% Reduced Damage, Regular Damage or 40% Increased Damage, or in the same way you can Now Toggle Wildfires to happen MORE Often (yes that’s a real choice now..)

In this same way, klei can provide toggles for additional stuff, like Pillar Degrade Time- Faster, Slower, Never.. etc.

I don’t end up playing a survival game where Survival Mode becomes an Open Ended Sandbox by giving permanent solutions to the games challenges unless I very specifically TOGGLE my game to behave in that way.

It is important that I complain about this because UNLIKE people on PC who can just create or install a mod, the changes Klei does to the game on XBOX or Irreversible for me.

And rather than getting a permeant solution to summer with the Canopy, or rather than having the original implementation of the pirate curse Nerfed into a laughable over thought.

Klei can maybe perhaps start using those world Gen settings to further differentiate ENDLESS MODE from SURVIVAL MODE.

Common sense should say Pillars would not decay on Endless Mode unless I very specifically change the setting so they CAN, And they WOULD Decay in Survival Mode unless a very specifically toggle them so they CAN NOT.

This has been the entire argument I’ve been trying to have since the very first day I joined these forums… sadly it’s only just now, that I’ve been able to find a way to word it in a way that (hopefully..) people understand.

I see your point, but DST is a Survival and a Sand Box(and now a MMORPG????), I like the Sand Box stuff, and I think we need it in the late game as well. What if the pillar come with somenthing very expensivel and after Celestial Champion? As a megabaser I think DST need more Sandbox Stuff, but it could be all late game.

They shouldn't degrade, upkeep isn't fun often times for things like these.

I do think that they are too cheap to not degrade though, maybe have both options? Leave the pillar made out of stone like this but allow us to make a pillar out of thulecite or some other material that won't degrade.

Archived