[Game Update] - 552394

• Developer

Changes

• Nightmare Clockworks join the Shadow Aligned.
  • Brightsmithy is now crafted as a Brightsmithy Kit instead.
  • Recipes from Brightsmithy are now remembered by Players after forging once.
  • Brightshade Bomb recipe now requires Infused Moon Shard as an ingredient.
  • Certain Brightshade equipment will now animate when equipped.
  • Added sound effects for Grazer.
  • Added new test prefabs, “dummytarget_lunar” and “dummytarget_shadow”, that have Planar defense.

Bug Fixes

• Fixed Brightshade Staff and Brightshade Sword going invisible when dropped in water.
  • Fixed animation alignment of Brightshade Shovel.
  • Fixed crash sometimes when Hutch is attacked.
  • Fixed crash when certain creatures are frozen.

View full update

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, -Variant said:

birdkilling.thumb.gif.329ebdff6c8f28451d59f5681bdb02a4.gif

For like, the first time in proper DS history we've got entirely animated armors and equips. This is huge, and the tools that made it are a game changer for modders as well. I cannot express my excitement! 

Yeah, this is pretty cool.

26 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

Well, Planar damage is still an awful mechanic. But dummies with the stuff is pretty cool.

It can be a neat mechanic. If done well. Just give it time, takes a while to code everything properly.

• Like 3
  • Potato Cup 1

4 minutes ago, Evelo said:

It can be a neat mechanic. If done well. Just give it time, takes a while to code everything properly.

"Just give it time"

People said the same thing about the ocean. And we gave it time. 3 years in fact. And did all that waiting ever pay off? No, it didn't. So apologies if I'd rather nip this in the bud than be proven right in another 2 years or so. 

• Like 17
  • Sad 4

6 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

"Just give it time"

People said the same thing about the ocean. And we gave it time. 3 years in fact. And did all that waiting ever pay off? No, it didn't. So apologies if I'd rather nip this in the bud than be proven right in another 2 years or so. 

I seem to be an outlier in enjoying the ocean. More is nice of course but there is plenty to do. Also when I say "give it time" in this context I am referring to this beta specifically, not future content. They are probably around the table considering ways to recode it and actually implement said code.

Edited by Evelo
Forgot a point.
  • Like 9
  • Potato Cup 1

36 minutes ago, -Variant said:

For like, the first time in proper DS history we've got entirely animated armors and equips. This is huge, and the tools that made it are a game changer for modders as well. I cannot express my excitement! 

The armour might be mid but goddamn does it look nice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, V2C said:

Added new test prefabs, “dummytarget_lunar” and “dummytarget_shadow”, that have Planar defense.

I have a question about the dummytargets. Is it intended that they don't display the damage if caves are enabled?

I sometimes see that it works for people with caves on, but I could be wrong and could just be something on my end as I always end up having to make a caveless world or install an HP mod to test damage calcs.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Evelo said:

I seem to be an outlier in enjoying the ocean. More is nice of course but there is plenty to do. Also when I say "give it time" in this context I am referring to this beta specifically, not future content. They are probably around the table considering ways to recode it and actually implement said code.

Oh no no no, I enjoy the ocean. The problem is that I have to mod the ever loving hell out of it to not be a waste of time. 

I've talked about this before, but ultimately the ocean content failed because it never introduced anything that changed how players approach the game. The best items and equipment are the same after RoT as they were before. The best food sources changed slightly with Stonefruit being a good contender. But otherwise Reap What you Sow was far more impactful than any of the half dozen food choices on the ocean, and any new things that served to help on the mainland where either sidegrades (salt boxes) or too situational/niche to be truly impactful (Above Average trees being great during summer, but only if you build your base around the shoreline). The only update that could have truley brought the ocean into the limelite was Curse of the Moon Quey; but that got held back by the fact that the island is incredibly difficult to locate without massive amounts of luck and/or time.

Ah, We're getting distracted though. Truthfully, I don't think time could fix this mechanic anyways, as all the problems I have with it are fundamentals. If Planar Damage isn't effected by damage modifiers, then it punishes players for picking those characters in the first place; IE Wigfrid and Wolfgang. And even if it was affected by modifiers, it also punishes any sort of character who has unique ways of dealing damage. Wanda can't use her Alarming Clock, Abigail hits for pennies, Walter has no rounds that do Planar Damage, Wurt and Webber's armies become dramatically less effective. It fundamentally removes importance of player choice and makes all the characters noticably more homogenous. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, lakhnish said:

I have a question about the dummytargets. Is it intended that they don't display the damage if caves are enabled?

It's simply a lack of support of networking.

The developers likely test things on one shard worlds most of the time(simply because it is faster to load), and so have no urgent need to implement proper networking in the case of being a client on a hosted two shard world.

• Thanks 4

36 minutes ago, JazzyGames said:

New animations are super smooth! Any chance we could make Nightmare Werepig shadow aligned as well?

I feel like he shouldn't have any alignment considering he's a werepig but is infused with nightmare fuel too.

... Or both alignments at the same time?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

Auuugh, thank you for reminding me.

2 hours ago, V2C said:
  • Added new test prefabs, “dummytarget_lunar” and “dummytarget_shadow”, that have Planar defense.

Would it be possible to have the display names and numbers properly working on cave based servers?
Including the names for the other dev display tools, such as the new torch FX one added recently?

• Big Ups 1

1 hour ago, -Variant said:

No way.

I am goona have to craft it just because it looks cool.

What a beautiful set

• Potato Cup 1

2 hours ago, -Variant said:

Does this mean that the Ice Cube can now have an animation when it melts where it suddenly turns into a block of water which then collapses on you? This was suggested back when RoG was still in beta, but a developer responded that it sadly wasn't possible to add as the animation system didn't support animated equipables.

Source:

• Like 16
  • Sanity 1

1 hour ago, JazzyGames said:

New animations are super smooth! Any chance we could make Nightmare Werepig shadow aligned as well?

That and Ancient Guardian please. Funny that depth worm will be the only non shadow threat in ruins. Although these two bosses are mostly 1 or 2 kill (dupe/anenemy). 

• Like 3
  • Wavey 1

1 hour ago, Theukon-dos said:

Oh no no no, I enjoy the ocean. The problem is that I have to mod the ever loving hell out of it to not be a waste of time. 

I've talked about this before, but ultimately the ocean content failed because it never introduced anything that changed how players approach the game. The best items and equipment are the same after RoT as they were before. The best food sources changed slightly with Stonefruit being a good contender. But otherwise Reap What you Sow was far more impactful than any of the half dozen food choices on the ocean, and any new things that served to help on the mainland where either sidegrades (salt boxes) or too situational/niche to be truly impactful (Above Average trees being great during summer, but only if you build your base around the shoreline). The only update that could have truley brought the ocean into the limelite was Curse of the Moon Quey; but that got held back by the fact that the island is incredibly difficult to locate without massive amounts of luck and/or time.

isn't this a bit meta-y?

The ocean changes my gameplay significantly enough for me to have trouble describing it in words, because I choose to interact with it and go down its paths. I feel like what you're proposing is that ocean content is fun when you interact with it, but there are better things to do with your time on land in terms of strictly getting things done, which, I dunno, I feel like thats a non-argument in the grand scheme of things considering we've no feasible time limit to our play.

• Like 6
  • Big Ups 1

Love the new effects, though do you still plan on making the helmets light things up around the player? A lot of the quotes implied it should do that

Spoiler

LUNARPLANTHAT = "ACTIVATE HEADLIGHTS",
LUNARPLANTHAT = "It's got me feelin' a bit light-headed.",
LUNARPLANTHAT = "It makes me look even brighter than usual.",
LUNARPLANTHAT = "A formidable helm, burning with an unearthly flame!",
LUNARPLANTHAT = "It has me looking on the bright side, hyuyu!",

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Big Ups 1
  • Potato Cup 1

3 hours ago, Juanasdf said:

I feel like he shouldn't have any alignment considering he's a werepig but is infused with nightmare fuel too.

... Or both alignments at the same time?

Nightmare Werepig was in Light vs Dark artwork presumably on the shadow side. 

• Like 7