Probably the best rework yet. Super fun, improved every aspect of the character.

The only weird/unusual thing I can find is that there is very little progression to it, besides some power boosting for the duelists you pretty much leave the portal at full power. In comparison, it would be like if Wanda spawned with the alarming clock, or Wurt spawned with all the royal tapestry ingredients.

But still, the design and balance of his powers are super fun.

He become very good at farming or gathering resources, and teleport them to base without much walking time now, he now dont need to craft shovel to dig up graves, tree trunks...

Codex Umbra should be put able in bookcase, even if it can recover durability or not. It is a book after all, it make more sense to store it in a book case.

Shadow duelist is better than before, but, i'd rather have grumble bee around than shadow duelist, they last forever (other than bug that remove them when log out + cave travel) and doesnt cost max sanity, and you can summon 16 of them. Is wicker book too OP or shadow duelist still weak?

Is max sanity still a good thing for maxwell to pay as price, or should it just go to normal sanity so he can summon infinite minions?

He have access to all his power early game, and he have no craftable items/power late game related to ruin/lunar...

I’m on Xbox, I don’t get to find out what my opinion about his rework is going to be until this Tuesday (assuming it’s not delayed for consoles as it sometimes is.) But from what I’ve seen/read he sounds like a much more fleshed out fully developed character choice, but I won’t know how good he actually plays until I can play the update for myself.

For what it’s worth on paper though Teleporting Duelists are a dream come true for me, and the Shadow Sneak being able turn rabbits for NMF adds to his Former King of the Shadows Persona. :wilson_love:

3 hours ago, Tranoze said:

Codex Umbra should be put able in bookcase, even if it can recover durability or not. It is a book after all, it make more sense to store it in a book case.

This was originally added in the Wickerbottom update, but then specially removed, because, as the players noted, Wickerbottom's quote about Codex Umbra clearly stated: "I'm not letting THAT in MY library!”. So yeah, this part is explained by lore and it makes sense from that perspective.

The update sounds promising, by the way. Maxwell has never been my character, mainly due to a lack of control over followers. I wasn't a fan of Wendy before her change either. But now I'm interested to finally try him.

Just now, Hornete said:

Maxwell keeps sneaking it in while Wicker isn't looking. Bam! Lore solved!

Putting a cursed ancient tome in a bookshelf next to other magical books would probably cause the cursed book to posses and take over all the other books, and that would explain why it shouldn’t be in the book library next to all the other books. 

Since Wickerbottom seems to have some degree of knowledge of what THAT does (the Codex) I’m going to assume she’s had it in her possession before and maybe even stuck it near her beloved books- which would actually be a pretty neat way of explaining how she has books that can summon things.

8 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Maxwell keeps sneaking it in while Wicker isn't looking. Bam! Lore solved!

Considering that her bookcase is made of living wood, my personal headcanon is that this cabinet has a tiny bit of consciousness, which it uses to spits out any unwanted books, and doesn't listen to anyone except its owner catlady.

On 11/19/2022 at 12:22 PM, SonicDen220 said:

I love magician's chest.

I can't believe no one has called Maxwell a "swap character" because of those yet.

Pretty much the same reason people don't call Wolfgang a swap character.

Personally I've been enjoying my time with him he's probably going to become my go to follower character due to how hassle free he is.

Archived