Make Fish Food More Accessible

The only way to get Fish Food is to trade three bottles with Pearl.

The problem is that amassing bottles is very difficult as they spawn so slowly in my experience.

Out of curiosity, I tried Fish Food with the new Ocean Trawler in a test world and it's absolutely amazing.

Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to really farm Fish Food since bottles are so rare.

Having access to a reasonable, craftable Fish Food would be amazing with this update, as I've never really done as much fishing as with the new Ocean Trawler + Fish Food combo.

4 minutes ago, skile said:

make her give you more fishfood per trade, maybe?

That doesn't resolve the core issue that farming bottles is a painful experience.

5 minutes ago, Flarezen said:

Monster meat works as bait too

Does Monster meat make new schools of fish spawn like Fish Food does?

Edit: Just checked, it doesn't do the same thing as Fish Food.

22 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

Having access to a reasonable, craftable Fish Food would be amazing with this update

She should give out the advert when you give her five heavy fish, since it this mission requires to collect many types of fish to find the heavy ones.

It is definitely an... interesting item. I would like it to be a bit easier to access since consistently farming bottles is not a thing, relies entirely on luck. I actually tried using it for a bit, because it was taking me about an entire season to get the deep ocean seasonal fish to spawn (and still no luck), so honestly haven't touched it since. Would be interesting if they decided to make it a recipe instead and it could require using barnacles or other materials dropped/collected from the Sea Weeds, since they produce their own "fish food" anyways. 

And if they don't want to change the cost, well can we at least have it only spawn the seasonal fish when used in the correct water source?

17 minutes ago, Legokirbytwin said:

Would be interesting if they decided to make it a recipe instead and it could require using barnacles or other materials dropped/collected from the Sea Weeds, since they produce their own "fish food" anyways. 

Great idea

3 hours ago, lakhnish said:

The problem is that amassing bottles is very difficult as they spawn so slowly in my experience.

I've always really disliked the bottle spawning mechanic. Currently each player has a timer on them that spawns a bottle every 1-2 days in the ocean, if you have two or more people, great! You'll be getting bottles all the time, but solo it just feels like such a drag, and making this mechanic a multiplayer scaling mechanic has always been such an odd design decision to me.

An idea a friend of mine had that I really liked is, make the spawning 2x faster or something like that, and instead tie it to boats instead of players, obviously only boats that have players on them would work. This makes it essentially a constant rate of bottles equivalent to the amount you'd get with 2 players currently.

4 hours ago, lakhnish said:

Not exactly serious advise, but, every player has the same bottle spawn rate, so the more people that are together, the more bottles that spawn
Edit: I just read the response above mine

But I think pearl should sell the recipe to fish food if anything, and let it be craftable

i don't see a particular need for fish food to be made craftable. Just one fish food can net you like, an amount of fish meat comparable to a koalefant, for 3 bottles, with good use of the trawling net building. Given how you passively gain bottles for doing things on the ocean, it seems perfectly fine to me.

1 hour ago, DarkPulse91 said:

But I think pearl should sell the recipe to fish food if anything, and let it be craftable

5 hours ago, Legokirbytwin said:

Would be interesting if they decided to make it a recipe instead and it could require using barnacles or other materials dropped/collected from the Sea Weeds, since they produce their own "fish food" anyways. 

I definitely like the idea of learning a recipe for Fish Food rather than increasing the spawn rates of bottles since I like using the bottles for Growth Fertilizer (unless the rate really is a lot more, since I asked my fishing friend and they said that even they don't use the fish food).

Pearl will also entrust to her Pearl to us but not the recipe for Chum!

28 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

I asked my fishing friend and they said that even they don't use the fish food

this fact might change seeing the new trawl nets, and the fact that you can throw the food on them to basically instantly catch a bunch of fish.
But as of now, I can also say I barely use fishfood and have only used it when looking for the seasonal fish

I always liked the idea of the fishfood a lot, its also cool for normal fishing with the fishingrod. But no one invests 3 bottles for 1 fishfood...
The item should be at least a lot cheaper or not tied to buying for bottles at all. I think we should be able to buy a blueprint for it in lategame so we can craft it. 

On top of that - some engaging way to farm bottles would be awesome and also kind of solve the problems (of course with cheaper price). I would love to see a item like like the crow nest from @Hornete

I don't like the idea of bottle trading with Pearl at all. Bottle spawning seems like an artificial reason to explore the empty ocean. I hope Klei will reconsider this system since we now have actual reasons to explore the ocean with Waterlogged and Moon Quay. Making Fish Food a blueprint would definitely be an improvement. 

I have a question:

Does the trawler farm fish Automaticly when offscreen or does it only work when players are around? I might check this myself when i get back to my pc... 

Honestly i really like the idea of a passive fish farm. I dont care about getting seven stacks of fish in ten second i just want to setup a few of these around and comeback after a day to collect fish. 

1 hour ago, bagherthegamer said:

Does the trawler farm fish Automaticly when offscreen or does it only work when players are around? I might check this myself when i get back to my pc... 

I don't know about offscreen, but I do know that if more than 6 fish enter the trap, the net breaks and releases all the fish.

There also seems to be a thing where you can put food into the Ocean Trawler and it will attract the fish (i.e. without the use of fish food) but if the food type doesn't match their diet, they don't replace the food inside but inside add to the 5-6 upper limit that the trawl can hold before breaking (its repair by the player bringing it up and just clicking to repair it).

I still need to test some more but I'm away from my pc too, since I'm not 100% sure of the fish is going for the food in the bait regardless of their preferred diet or not.

3 hours ago, maxwell_winters said:

Making Fish Food a blueprint would definitely be an improvement. 

I think this is the way to go, perhaps make the original cost high enough (like 10 bottles) and then you purchase the blueprint to be able to craft the food yourself.

Archived