How broken is Tropical Experience?

I'd like to play a multiplayer Hamlet world, but none in the same sense like Island Adventures exist. I hear constant complaints about this mod and just wanna ask how much is stuff drastically changed/how much is broken? Please note it would only be set to the Hamlet world gen.

I would've asked this in the mod section which I've learnt exists, but that section is filled with people asking for help with their mods, so I thought it would fit better here. Might not get feedback so if there's another place to ask then let me know maybe!

Okay so if you took Shipwrecked, Hamlet, made them into a diet coke version of themselves, other mods (for example creeps in the deeps), 80% of whatever else is in the mod, and Chemical X,  mashed it into a big pile together you'd have tropical experience. A mod that is so buggy, so unfinished and has no idea what it itself is doing. It's the perfect description of rather using quantity over quality.

The mod is all over the place. 

Awful, broken, buggy mess. I almost never try and let my views deter people from trying mods but I cannot make this exception for TE.
They've stolen content, their work is absolutely aimless, they have no idea what kind of mod they want it to be.
It barely runs, there's a concerning amount of other peoples mods just randomly slapped into the mix with no real genuine rhyme or reason either.

A ton of modders including myself have also gone through the code and I can assure you it is not a pretty sight at all. I cannot suggest it, even if someone is just looking for a certain aspect like wanting to try Hamlet in DST I cannot suggest it for that either as everything is just haphazardly slapped together trying to single out a single feature or too is nigh impossible.

6 hours ago, dubious little said:

how much is broken?

Don't starve is build on a formula and all of the DLCs are build on it. For example; in RoG, you protect yourself from rain with eye that dropped from deerclops, it's tiger's eye for shipwrecked. Also the resource gaining is different. In hamlet food is expensive when you consider with gears etc. in shipwrecked minerals are hard to get in most of stuations. Can not say same for RoG.
  So we are talking about something that include all of this stuff in one place, you can not expect there will be deadly lacking in-game resource economy.

Mechanically, mod have so much bugs and you will see crashes. There is a lot of strange things like missing objects, sounds, strings etc.

Will it be worth to try? Yes, I had fun for few hours with it. Will it be a perfect experience? No, you will get anormally strong and get bored so fast.

Is nice as a concept and for idle exploration; but when it comes to functional stuff... crash galore. Nice initiative, horrid implementation. Fun random trivia: try moving some stuff from your Backpack directly into a container inside a Shanty house build (via contract) in Caves - you can't: 100% crash. Add on top KLei's standard-by-now CURL Error for Cave shard = 110% unplayability :ghost:

As far as I know it's very broken. We (DST Survivors) stopped hosting it a whole ago (maybe over a year ago) because it would constantly crash. We would love to see it come back, but it needs a lot work. Island Adventures is a much better experience.

tropical experience is super cool!! packed full of content and stuff to do, and its around about the level of hamlet in terms of buginess id say, where the bugs really arent obtrusive to gameplay (they just look or feel a bit silly) and crashes are super rare (ive gotten like... two? in all my playtime, one of which i simply learned to avoid)

i always hear stolen content mentioned but aside from some walani emote faces taken from SW characters that were quickly removed back in 2017 (more than enough time for the basically singular dev to learn from that mistake), i havent seen anything of the sort at all. the closest thing is that uncompromising mode and tropical experience both have snow-themed giant grub reskins, but theyve got entirely distinct art from one another. see later in the thread, i was wrong about this bit and it is definitely something to personally consider if you can look past or not now that the stolen assets were removed

also worth mentioning that while the criticisms are valid... the main dev of the mod has like, a wife and kids he actively has to not be spending time with in order to make the mod. i think its kind of hard to get mad at the guy for the mod being buggy or code being spaghetti with that context.

51 minutes ago, meow meow meow said:

the closest thing is that uncompromising mode and tropical experience both have snow-themed giant grub reskins, but theyve got entirely distinct art from one another.

At a point they unfortunately weren't distinct. :{

The moles were taken nigh 1:1 earlier in the year. Exact same mechanics, near 1:1 art. It took having to ask and take action for them to change their art to something more custom. They almost functioned the same with their spawning as well which was a pain.

Buggy mess, sound volumes are ear piercingly painful, a total mess. Not to mention constant crashes.

It's just a pile of ambition to get everything into a single dump and overload it with more unnecessary bits of content that could have instead been ironed out and properly fixed to be playable to enjoy it. I don't recommend playing it if you really want proper DLC experience.

Better to just play Singleplayer or Island adventures mod on DST (which is no longer in development but I think someone fixed the mod to be playable or something).

From personal experience I've encountered over a 100 bugs and listed them to them, but doubt that many were fixed.

5 minutes ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

Better to just play Singleplayer or Island adventures mod on DST (which is no longer in development but I think someone fixed the mod to be playable or something).

Island Adventures is back in development :)

Volcano.png

3 minutes ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

What where can I find this discord or something to follow aaaaa

The discord link to Island Adventures is still on our Workshop page, as always :)
And yes, a lot of your bug reports have been addressed in the gitlab version of IA.

5 hours ago, Karitha said:

Don't starve is build on a formula and all of the DLCs are build on it. For example; in RoG, you protect yourself from rain with eye that dropped from deerclops, it's tiger's eye for shipwrecked. Also the resource gaining is different. In hamlet food is expensive when you consider with gears etc. in shipwrecked minerals are hard to get in most of stuations. Can not say same for RoG.
  So we are talking about something that include all of this stuff in one place, you can not expect there will be deadly lacking in-game resource economy.

Mechanically, mod have so much bugs and you will see crashes. There is a lot of strange things like missing objects, sounds, strings etc.

Will it be worth to try? Yes, I had fun for few hours with it. Will it be a perfect experience? No, you will get anormally strong and get bored so fast.

I'm specifically asking for the Hamlet world gen settings, there's an option to set it to only one type of content (I.E Shipwrecked only, Hamlet only, etc) which I've tested for a bit and it seemingly does do what it says (even removes the water and replaces it with clouds). I was more-so asking if the Hamlet experience itself is accurate.

1 hour ago, GuyNamedChris said:

The discord link to Island Adventures is still on our Workshop page, as always :)
And yes, a lot of your bug reports have been addressed in the gitlab version of IA.

Aye love your guys work, which is probabaly obvious since you can see my comments on the workshop page.

It seems the Hamlet world gen note was kinda ignored, people keep talking about the whole package but it makes sense that something with 10 billion years of content would be horrible, but you can disable that 10 billion years to only have the Hamlet experience which I just wanna know if it's functional in the same way as Hamlet. I'm assuming it's not though but if anyone who has played recently on the Hamlet world gen settings who has also played the solo dlc would like to tell me about their experience, that'd be very useful. Till then I guess I'll just wait for someone to make a port of the dlc to DST or a port of the reworks to solo.

If I were you, I'd avoid Tropical Experience like the plague, it's a disaster of a mod.

13 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

Oh, it ain't just broken, the mod developers have also stolen a ton of stuff from other mod. Frankly, I'm surprised it hasn't been taken down by a dozen different copyright claims.

3 hours ago, Guille6785 said:

I'd give you my opinion if every single tropical experience server didn't take 20 minutes to connect to only to have 573 ping

Seeing that ping makes me depressed...

3 hours ago, Arti925 said:

Island Adventures is back in development :)

Volcano.png

Looks like the budding chef needs to return to the shipwrecked world at some point in the future, though it'll have to be a new world, my old Island Culinary Adventure world doesn't work anymore, maybe I'll give it a shot once I'm truely 100% done with Culinary Archipelago(and not just taking periodic breaks from burnout)

55 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

Nobody's brought it up because there's no point in bringing it up when the mod itself isn't even worth it.

There is reason to tho, because it's what I'm asking for. Something like the crash when building the slanty shack in the caves that someone mentioned doesn't matter because they'll be off, crashes in general probabaly occur so much due to all the interactions with everything on which doesn't matter since I'll have so much turned off, the ping/load times aren't an issue since again Hamlet gen doesn't have a ton of the content (plus I've tested the basics and it worked fine) and I don't know if many of the bugs effect the Hamlet content even. I'm assuming it's half baked and bad, but I wanted more direct info. The answers given were still useful tho.

It doesn't work well with other mods, but if you can get it to work with some mods you like using it does add a huge amount of places to explore in the world. Imo that makes it a real nice mod because there are basically no mods which add more places to explore in the world. Last time I used it seemed to work ok by just itself and some character mods and a few smaller content pack mods like legion.

13 hours ago, dubious little said:

port of the reworks to solo

Leonidas has a few mods that might help you, such as Integrated Backpack Layout, Bee Attack Range, Fire Spreading, & DST QoLs.

As for farming rework, the closest I could find is Custom Farming from I scream Icecream

1 minute ago, SomebodyRandom said:

Leonidas has a few mods that might help you, such as Integrated Backpack Layout, Bee Attack Range, Fire Spreading, & DST QoLs.

As for farming rework, the closest I could find is Custom Farming from I scream Icecream

I'll check those out then, thanks for the info!

On 3/9/2022 at 1:07 PM, meow meow meow said:

tropical experience is super cool!! packed full of content and stuff to do, and its around about the level of hamlet in terms of buginess id say, where the bugs really arent obtrusive to gameplay (they just look or feel a bit silly) and crashes are super rare (ive gotten like... two? in all my playtime, one of which i simply learned to avoid)

So you are continuing to play something with a crash bug that you "simply learned to avoid"?  This speaks volumes both to the quality of the mod and of the standards you tolerate.

i always hear stolen content mentioned but aside from some walani emote faces taken from SW characters that were quickly removed back in 2017 (more than enough time for the basically singular dev to learn from that mistake), i havent seen anything of the sort at all. the closest thing is that uncompromising mode and tropical experience both have snow-themed giant grub reskins, but theyve got entirely distinct art from one another.

This was already addressed as completely false and misleading by someone else, so I won't address it further.

also worth mentioning that while the criticisms are valid... the main dev of the mod has like, a wife and kids he actively has to not be spending time with in order to make the mod. i think its kind of hard to get mad at the guy for the mod being buggy or code being spaghetti with that context.

This is an weak and horrible excuse and it's hard to figure out where to start tearing your argument apart.

Other commitments is not an excuse for terrible quality of work. 

I have a wife and a kid too, which is why I limit the scope of my modding projects to what I have the time to do well.

I've been modding DST for years, and I work as a full stack software developer.

There is zero excuse for making a huge and buggy mod like Tropical Experience.

Archived