How broken is Tropical Experience?

1 hour ago, Toros said:

Other commitments is not an excuse for terrible quality of work. 

1 hour ago, Toros said:

I have a wife and a kid to

For their own safety i pray to god your child never develops any interests that may fall in the way of schoolling

1 hour ago, Toros said:

So you are continuing to play something with a crash bug that you "simply learned to avoid"?  This speaks volumes both to the quality of the mod and of the standards you tolerate.

...yes??? feel like this is meant to own me to death but yes i am fine with putting up with a buggy video game when the only bugs that actually affect me are something i can avoid by simply not doing a very specific combination of events (the one that is in my mind is that dropping walanis surfboard via right click with a full inventory will crash the game, this is very avoidable i can tolerate this). i am especially fine with this when the mod is made almost exclusively by a dude with a wife and kid doing it for fun and making no profit off of it of any sort

1 hour ago, Toros said:

Other commitments is not an excuse for terrible quality of work. 

I have a wife and a kid too, which is why I limit the scope of my modding projects to what I have the time to do well.

dude you must understand how this is an overreaction to "a mod was bad"

also if you are a parent then like... i really really hope you do not talk to your kid with the same aggressive-gamer-man-ness that you have in this community for years??? like, ill be honest, i see the way you talk about things such as "a dude made a subpar quality mod" and i fear whats gonna happen if like, your kid gets an F or like doesnt become a lawyer or whatever

On 3/9/2022 at 2:42 PM, -Variant said:

At a point they unfortunately weren't distinct. :{

The moles were taken nigh 1:1 earlier in the year. Exact same mechanics, near 1:1 art. It took having to ask and take action for them to change their art to something more custom. They almost functioned the same with their spawning as well which was a pain.

thats super sad to hear though... can completely sympathize with this and it will definitely affect my opinion on the mod and its devs. sorry to hear that this happened to you

On 3/9/2022 at 4:36 AM, Theukon-dos said:

Oh, it ain't just broken, the mod developers have also stolen a ton of stuff from other mod. Frankly, I'm surprised it hasn't been taken down by a dozen different copyright claims.

It's probably hundreds at this point.

Oh, I had actually no idea Tropical Experience was apparently so bad, I downloaded it, because I really wanted to play some Hamlet features in DST (I own DS and all DLCs, I just really wanna share the experience with other players), but I never played it. So, would you guys suggest Island Adventures as a mod that accomplishes the same?

19 minutes ago, Falkenpelz said:

Oh, I had actually no idea Tropical Experience was apparently so bad, I downloaded it, because I really wanted to play some Hamlet features in DST (I own DS and all DLCs, I just really wanna share the experience with other players), but I never played it. So, would you guys suggest Island Adventures as a mod that accomplishes the same?

Unfortunately the island adventures team gave up on the project.  Now it's up to random modders to update it.

4 minutes ago, LinknAllie said:

Unfortunately the island adventures team gave up on the project.  Now it's up to random modders to update it.

IA is back in development, a couple of devs commented on the last page.

2 hours ago, Primalflower said:

For their own safety i pray to god your child never develops any interests that may fall in the way of schoolling

2 hours ago, meow meow meow said:

dude you must understand how this is an overreaction to "a mod was bad"

also if you are a parent then like... i really really hope you do not talk to your kid with the same aggressive-gamer-man-ness that you have in this community for years??? like, ill be honest, i see the way you talk about things such as "a dude made a subpar quality mod" and i fear whats gonna happen if like, your kid gets an F or like doesnt become a lawyer or whatever

Are you two seriously accusing someone of being a bad father/claiming they'll probably be a bad father because they're talking down about a mod that that entirely deserves it? I can't quite describe just how toxic that mentality is. But it's really, really not cool.

Also, he's right. Even if the mod dev does have other commitments, they still have time to develop the mod. Which means time to optimize the code or work on bug fixes. And even if other commitments did get in the way of that, the dev could just try and set up a team to help develop the mod. Other large content mods such as Island Adventures or Uncompromising Mode have multiple developers contributing to content and bug fixes. If they don't have enough time to make something so big on their own, then getting help is just the smart thing to do.

12 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

Are you two seriously accusing someone of being a bad father/claiming they'll probably be a bad father because they're talking down about a mod that that entirely deserves it? I can't quite describe just how toxic that mentality is. But it's really, really not cool.

if this sort of behavior was in a vacuum then thatd be sucky of us yeah, but this isnt an isolated thing

1 hour ago, Theukon-dos said:

getting help is just the smart thing to do.

just want to point out not anyone can just get help especially when your mod is more complex than 99% of the mods on the workshop especially when it seems everybody here and a lot of talented modders bash on the mod too :wilson_incredulous:

2 hours ago, LinknAllie said:

I know people have already mentioned it is back in development, but if that wasn't the case, would that automatically mean it cannot be played?

The tropical experience mod works really well and when there is a bug you just report it on their discord and they fix it within a day or two.The mod does take forever for the player to login since it's 338 mb...

16 hours ago, . . . said:

just want to point out not anyone can just get help especially when your mod is more complex than 99% of the mods on the workshop especially when it seems everybody here and a lot of talented modders bash on the mod too :wilson_incredulous:

When a developer is caught stealing code repeatedly, no one else in a small, tight-knit community is going to want to work with them.

That’s how it works.

1 hour ago, Toros said:

When a developer is caught stealing code repeatedly, no one else in a small, tight-knit community is going to want to work with them.

That’s how it works.

when klei allows modders to use basically the entire code of their game... i find it petty and pathetic for modders to throw a tantrum if someone copy pasted code from their public and free mod

To be fair... unless you set the world size to medium, heck even without that, it's incredibly buggy. Don't get me wrong, solo can be fun if you want to re-live Shipwrecked and Hamlet without having to play the solo version (although you should buy 'em hence they're super fun), but as many have stated, it has its flaws, from buggy glitches that crash your game to points where it just feels clunky and the hit registration is guttered beyond salvation, especially when multiple people are playing on the same server... 

Kind of a shame for the mod has potential, but it's just been left like that since day one, which does disappoint a little but oh well...

27 minutes ago, . . . said:

when klei allows modders to use basically the entire code of their game... i find it petty and pathetic for modders to throw a tantrum if someone copy pasted code from their public and free mod

“Petty and pathetic for modders to throw a tantrum”

There’s no need to make a personal and inaccurate attack.

It’s impressive how casually and wildly disrespectful TE supporters have been toward people who are critical of the mod.

TE is an impressive project for a single person to work on, and it’s a testament to the modder’s skill that it mostly works, because the scope is enormous and stitching everything together is complicated.

I’ve never told someone no who wanted to use code from my mod and give credit, and I’ve helped people do their own custom tweaks.

Modders put hundreds (sometimes thousands) of hours into code and art for their projects and it costs nothing to ask first before you copy their work.

No one is throwing a tantrum, it’s a perfectly reasonable choice to copy code from other people without asking, and it’s perfectly reasonable for those people and their friends to refuse to work with you as a result.

17 minutes ago, Toros said:

There’s no need to make a personal and inaccurate attack.

what???? im not personally attacking you

23 minutes ago, Toros said:

Modders put hundreds (sometimes thousands) of hours into code and art for their projects and it costs nothing to ask first before you copy their work.

i put thousands of hours into my modding projects and i am flattered if someone reuploads my mod without telling me and i even comment saying nice things if i see it. i dont care at all if anyone took code or textures from my mod. and from my experience every modder i saw always rejects when asked for permission to copy stuff so thats why most people who just wanna have some fun just copy without asking!

i dont blame them one bit, mods exist only for fun and they cost no money and are free for everyone to use :D!

4 hours ago, . . . said:

Klei actively chooses to allow modders to use their code/assets to make mods. Also, even if the mods are built on top of a game's code base, they're still owned by the people who make them. Klei couldn't just port mods directly into the game without permission (See: Minecraft and Optifine), and if mods where automatically fair-use, then Steam wouldn't need to put in systems to help people file copyright claims against people stealing mods.

3 hours ago, . . . said:

i put thousands of hours into my modding projects and i am flattered if someone reuploads my mod without telling me and i even comment saying nice things if i see it. i dont care at all if anyone took code or textures from my mod. and from my experience every modder i saw always rejects when asked for permission to copy stuff so thats why most people who just wanna have some fun just copy without asking!

i dont blame them one bit, mods exist only for fun and they cost no money and are free for everyone to use :D!

Cool story. But that's a you thing. I know if I put hundreds or thousands of hours into coding and developing art assets for a mod, I'd be a bit more than mad if someone spent 10 minutes decompiling my project and shoving it into their own, almost entirely unrelated project without even asking. Probably why everyone you ask turns you down.

38 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

they're still owned by the people who make them

idk pretty sure i remember reading somewhere in their TOS they own everything uploaded to the workshop and can do whatever they want with it.

38 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

I know if I put hundreds or thousands of hours into coding and developing art assets for a mod, I'd be a bit more than mad if someone spent 10 minutes decompiling my project and shoving it into their own, almost entirely unrelated project without even asking. Probably why everyone you ask turns you down.

Cool story. But that's a you thing too.

4 hours ago, . . . said:

idk pretty sure i remember reading somewhere in their TOS they own everything uploaded to the workshop and can do whatever they want with it.

...I don't recall seeing this in any of the multitude of TOS's, nor anyone else ever mentioning anything like this.

6 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

Cool story. But that's a you thing. I know if I put hundreds or thousands of hours into coding and developing art assets for a mod, I'd be a bit more than mad if someone spent 10 minutes decompiling my project and shoving it into their own, almost entirely unrelated project without even asking. Probably why everyone you ask turns you down.

Why?? Because the fact that some people have to do less to reach the desired result seems unfair to you?? This is just selfish. Is it because of the fact that something you made is copied devalues your effort for you?? I really don't know.

If you do coding for a mod and post it for public to use and play, the thing becomes kinda like public property. Mods are usually made with the intent of adding some additional experience to the game to have some fun if not made to make money. In this case it doesn't give a reason to have to be mad about someone reusing some codes or assets if their make their own original mod, no? It doesn't excuse either the behavior of taking things that aren't yours, adding that code/assets to your mod and claiming that you've done it all on your own.

If most of us weren't dirt poor we'd probably hire programmer help with modding instead of ripping things apart, but alas - post it on public and it belongs to the public. If the copypaster claims that mod as their work the owner can always call on their lies.

Overall, I don't think there should be anyone angry over this stuff but I don't know the full legal issue of this either. Not like any of you will earn money from this so... Everyone can suck it up and move on.

Archived