[Poll] On DST's Lore Development

I am not your king yet old man! Nor should you obey that command even if I were!  

111 members have voted

1. 1. How satisfied are you with Don't Starve Together's lore development?

• Very Satisfied
    • Satisfied
    • Unsatisfied
    • Very Unsatisfied
    • I have no strong feelings regarding this.
  2. 2. Which portions of the lore should Klei focus on developing the most?

• Character lore (inc. interactions)
    • The Main storyline (after the return of Them, alter, wotsisname)
    • The lore of the Constant's origin
    • the lore of the Ancients
    • The lore behind the Constant's regions
    • The lore behind the Constant's flora
    • The lore behind the Constant's fauna
    • Other (do mention in the comments!)
  3. 3. If you answered "Very Satisfied/Satisfied", why so?

• The lore is very well thought out.
    • The lore gives enough details for us while keeping the mystery and intrigue it is known for.
    • The lore allows one to form their own theories and conclusions regarding the story of DST.
    • The lore is emotionally moving.
    • The lore is funny.
    • The lore retains the macabre, horrifying aspect it used to have.
    • I voted "Very Unsatisfied/Unsatisfied."
    • I voted "no strong feelings."
  4. 4. If you answered "Very Unsatisfied/Unsatisfied", why so?

• The lore is half-baked.
    • The lore leaves too many plot holes open and gives too many unanswered questions.
    • The lore is too rigid in its main framework for outside theories.
    • The lore relies too much on emotional manipulation.
    • The lore is bland and boring.
    • Questions, conflicting theories and related concerns on the lore are unaddressed.
    • I voted "Very Satisfied/Satisfied."
    • I voted "no strong feelings."

I like how they're trying to expand the lore within the constant, we always knew They were here somewhere as Maxwell said. Watching. It was only a matter of time until we got to see who They were. Alter being one of "Them". Its funny cause- while people say they're just making the story up as they go, There's always been clear hints of the future of DS and DST. 

One of them (which was done brilliantly) was Alter itself, we never knew what was exactly going on with the moon- but the answer was right under our noses the whole time. the thing was that the Celestial portal looks *exactly* like Alter at the top of the portal. things like the glass eyebrella being a clear hint we're being watched. "in with the new" which was one of the beta updates started out with moon rocks falling from the sky- Maxwell quoting it as "moon" rock". And that update was in DST BETA.
I can go deeper as well. Hell, the ruins medallion looks exactly like an eye. "all's well that maxwell" poster has an eye behind him, covered with shadow creatures around him. Say what you want about the pace of the story but i'm pretty darn sure to an extend they've always known what the story was going to turn out to be.

The thing about the original DS story was that, it never really had one in the constant. apart from the adventure mode it was only Maxwell's backstory. now that the story is expanding in the constant as well its probably harder to please people due to them wanting more context- and especially compared to the carter puzzles we haven't gotten a very coherent detailed lore in a long while. 

I also just think we're very lore and puzzle hungry too. 

6 hours ago, Ohan said:

The dst continent has no mountains so he couldn’t have ‘fallen’ directly into DST. Which I think means he must’ve sailed or something to dst from the hamlet continent after he came down the mountain plateaus..

This is a hole in vanilla things as well; Wicker's image with mountains, as well as Wilson's backpacking image implying elevation changes higher than the ocean border.

...I've been assuming that a lot of things exist in the part of the Constant that the survivors are in, that we don't see in-game, simply because it isn't in-game. Like Waterlogged existing for long enough for that massive tree to grow...but we just took a while to find it. Same with the burried Moon Altars; they were there, we just didn't know. The Moon Stone existed, we just hadn't ventured the wilderness long enough to find it. The Archives existed, we just hadn't discovered them within the maze that is the caves yet.
The buildup for DST with Wilson's mapping notes implied other islands near his own single player island, some of which the other survivors were on; implying that even the randomly generated 'worlds' were just different landmasses, or different parts of large landmasses.

There's probably a lot of Constant that we just haven't been able to explore yet due to it not being a direct part of the game (yet).

4 minutes ago, maradyne said:

The Archives existed, we just hadn't discovered them within the maze that is the caves yet.

The Archives were also walled away and the survivors only managed to find them cause the moon chunk crashed right above what would become the lunar grotto and broke the wall.

1 hour ago, Hornete said:

I guess he uh, is the only one of the characters who knows what to do with the knowledge capsules from the Archives while all the other characters question what to do with it.

This is true. Wormwood is the only character that outright gives a clue/answer to the Archives puzzles, very specifically the ones to cover the forgotten knowledge to get the item to help awaken Alter... interesting when you think about it.

Wormwood is also the only one to know/sorta tell us that Alter was living before its shell split. If we want to exclude Maxwell calling it a "moon".
Wormwood constantly refers to the Celestial Orb as a seed anyhow. Who knows! Maybe it and Wormwood are both Alters kids.

On 2/3/2022 at 10:25 AM, LiamAshvinn001 said:

Didn't Wanda's introduction to the lore fix that up? Hamlet and Shipwrecked were probably alternate timelines, where the survivors were in different parts of the Constant

and we all gonna ignore fact that and in game, and in trailers it was clearly shown that it's wilson's attempt to escape constant

You see, I'm somewhat satisfied with the lore however I think the Bee ark ended way too suddenly with no explanation or reason at all, why did charlie need to enslave beekind? Why go through the trouble of making mind control and not using it? Where the hell did the bees come from! 

However maybe if they revealed too much about the bees it would reveal the entire lore and then people would annoyingly point out contradictions whenever they add to the lore cause it doesn't match up with the lore we have and yadda yadda.

Though I wouldn't mind an explanation of the bees.

On 2/3/2022 at 8:58 AM, Ohan said:

Until then my headcanon is that the hamlet moon is not the same moon as in dst

Well in the Aporkalypse Calendar, we can see what I assume is the Sun, the Constant, and two Moons.

image.png.d0685d503d8cbd1ad227106b3d1df35e.png

My friend thinks the second Moon is a Shadow Moon that allows the Shadow Pieces to spawn in New Moons (And that's why they can't spawn in Caves) and causes the Aporkalypse when it goes in front of the Sun.

But I have never seen the Aporkalypse Calendar in game, and don't know how the Moons and the Sun move when the Calendar is manipulated so I don't have much info on it.

28 minutes ago, SomebodyRandom said:

My friend thinks the second Moon is a Shadow Moon

I like to think theres a dark side of the moon that might be doing something.

Spoiler

Irl the 'Dark side of the Moon' is just the side of the moon we cant see on Earth, but I can see Klei doing something clever with the dark side of the Moon in the Constant and making it a literal dark side.

11 minutes ago, goblinball said:

The next update arc better be the survivors building a rocket ship and going to space and landing on the moon to see what’s up. I’ll write a very, very long open letter to klei if they don’t do it

DST x ONI has gotta happen

On 2/3/2022 at 10:58 PM, Ohan said:

I can imagine there being tropical islands somewhere across the ocean of the dst continent from where Warly sailed but imo Wormwoods arrival cant be as easily explained. Suppose he fell from the hamlet mountain plateaus where did he fall down to? The dst continent has no mountains so he couldn’t have ‘fallen’ directly into DST. Which I think means he must’ve sailed or something to dst from the hamlet continent after he came down the mountain plateaus.. 

if we’re talking plot holes, Wormwood’s arrival is a big one imo. Not only his arrival but also the way he has not been connected to an entire content arc focused around the moon at all. It’s like the detail that his gem fell from the moon was completely forgotten. 

im not talking about some grandiose reveal where wormwood turns out to be alter’s baby and undercover agent with accompanying refresh where he gets crazy moon powers but just something to address the fact that he’s literally a creation of the moon. Until then my headcanon is that the hamlet moon is not the same moon as in dst :crushed:

could also just be that his gem falling from the (a?) moon was just a cute story thing for klei as a simple way to introduce a new character in hamlet and nothing more lol. And when dst’s moon arc came about they suddenly remembered they added a survivor that was created by the moon but decided it was too much trouble to connect a fringe DLC character to the main “plot” and so didn’t bother.. that’s another headcanon of mine :lol:

ok Wormwood rant over

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if this was a different Wormwood, sounds stupid but its the easiest way to explain it.

6 hours ago, goblinball said:

The next update arc better be the survivors building a rocket ship and going to space and landing on the moon to see what’s up. I’ll write a very, very long open letter to klei if they don’t do it

...part of me thinks that the Archive portal might lead straight to the Moon.

I am satisfied with the lore, but in that satisfaction, there's a mix of disappointment, I hope Klei works more on the storyline itself, so far, we haven't even gotten deep into the story, there's so much more to be discovered, and I hope Klei works on all that...

I also want to see more lore on the ancients, I really want to know what's going to win between The Moon and Darkness

I find it tragically humorous that the survivors are being played as pawns even now just out of sheer desperation of looking for ways to escape.

• Tried to escape using the Ancient Gateway, Charlie sucked some sort of power from it
  • Uncovered and explored the Ancient Archives, only for Charlie to get inside after the grotto becomes a warzone once the power is turned on
  • Inadvertently "communed" with the moon, causing moonstorms
  • Proceeded to help Wagstaff with some mysterious plan, angering the moon and having to fight a multi-phase boss
  • Defeating the Celestial Champion probably diminishes Alter's power, at least temporarily, meaning Charlie likely has even more influence over whatever eldritch politics are at play in the Constant

Archived