Your perfect year

Hello guys,

I wanted to ask you - what criteria you have to meet to call your first year "ideal"? Is it successful ruin rush, killing as many bosses as possible, creating fundaments for mega base? Are your priorities different with each character, or mostly the same?

And something that make me feel lucky today - oasis with 3 Maxwell's part, close to moon stone and MacTusk ^^.

2021-11-30 (2).png

That's such fantastic world gen for a mega base! Do you have the seed, by any chance?

On topic: I have recently included taming a beefalo immediately into my standard opening. So in a prefect 1st year, I would have tamed a beefalo (ornery or rider, depending on my character; e.g. with Wolfgang or Wanda I go rider, because I will be fighting myself anyway) by the early-mid winter, I would have uncovered the whole overworld map, decided on a spot for my future mega base and made a good start on that, gotten a Krampus sack from Klaus, killed BQ for the bundling wraps by the end of spring; then spent the summer clearing ruins and setting up a small base either right in or at the entrance to the ruins.

I'd say good goals for my first year overall would be

-Generally useful stuff like having the whole surface map explored, a beefalo tamed, shadow boat nuked for a bajillion dark swords and nightmare fuel, some bee queen farming method set up, a ruins clear at some point to stockpile misc resources, celestial portal built

-Bosses like dragonfly killed, klaus for the wax paper, fuelweaver killed (and maybe a 2nd time for double bone armor), misery toad killed for cool lamps, pearl's quest done and celestial champion killed, maybe fight the twins during winter nights or after celestial champion

-A base obviously, at my ideal location that can be expanded but with the essentials like pig farms/goat farms/some bee boxes, some grass tufts ready for a gekko pen, crock pots and some trees waiting for bearger, but stuff like waterlogged trees and furnace stations can wait until year 2 since I don't expect to be in my base much during the first year anyway

Honestly what people do or don’t do in this game is entirely up to them, you don’t HAVE to fight bosses, you don’t HAVE to do anything- you could spend all your time at pig kings village trading him championship belts to get smacked silly by pigs carrying wooden signs, you could turn off every hostile part of the game and build yourself a world sprawling Carrat race track course.

I don’t really have any actual “goals” but the character I’m playing may determine what I do in the first few hours, if it’s Wurt I’ll spend time creating my own army, if it’s Wendy I’ll collect things for Ectoherbology potions, if it’s Wes- Day 1 Beefalo battle mount.

If you play almost completely alone this rule goes double true: there’s no other players needing your help to do Anything, so you can do what you want & pretty much anytime you want.

So I guess to answer your question: Every year is perfect until the game finds a way to kill me.

Its definitely character dependent, and I definitely don't have a full year docket yet.  I'm working towards that right now though.  For Wanda my milestones are kinda like

Autumn -> explore top side, get watches, touch ruins, clear dfly
Winter -> clear mac tusks and klaus, walk deerclops through trees
Spring -> bee queen, shadow pieces, pins / farms as time allows
Summer -> explore caves, more ruins / afw, back to surface for antlion if I can.

There is a LOT of room for improvement.  Its been a long time since I put much effort into DST, but its definitely caught my focus with Wanda lol

3 hours ago, Guille6785 said:

I'd say good goals for my first year overall would be

-Generally useful stuff like having the whole surface map explored, a beefalo tamed, shadow boat nuked for a bajillion dark swords and nightmare fuel, some bee queen farming method set up, a ruins clear at some point to stockpile misc resources, celestial portal built

-Bosses like dragonfly killed, klaus for the wax paper, fuelweaver killed (and maybe a 2nd time for double bone armor), misery toad killed for cool lamps, pearl's quest done and celestial champion killed, maybe fight the twins during winter nights or after celestial champion

-A base obviously, at my ideal location that can be expanded but with the essentials like pig farms/goat farms/some bee boxes, some grass tufts ready for a gekko pen, crock pots and some trees waiting for bearger, but stuff like waterlogged trees and furnace stations can wait until year 2 since I don't expect to be in my base much during the first year anyway

Dang that's a list O_O lol

Do you prioritize by season?  Or is it more fluid?

2 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

Do you prioritize by season?  Or is it more fluid?

a lot of stuff can be delayed until you see fit, it wasn't a checklist by any means but if I were to try something like that as wilson for example I'd go a bit like this
-Autumn: Saddle beefalo first thing, map out most of the overworld and repair shadow pieces (prioritize biomes with pig houses, beehives and usually ignore rockyland if there is one since the marbles can't spawn on rocky turf), kill eye of terror if you feel like and smash pig houses while exploring, prepare bee queen trap, maybe kill dragonfly before going to the ruins with your beefalo (though dragonfly can easily be delayed to any point throughout the year), find grotto, kill ag and get a small amount of ruins loot and/or fossils (I consider most ruins loot to be pretty useless at the beginning of the game so don't bother doing a full clear this early), set up a small base with pig houses/bee boxes and crock pots and magic and science that you can expand later, farm a bit of wood with pigs if you can

-Winter and spring: Pretty flexible, you can nuke a shadow boat on day 21 if you're fast enough which will give you all the weapons and armor you need for the rest of your life (otherwise just fight the pieces normally on that day or delay shadow boat until day 41), you can fight the twins of terror during the night, kill klaus, set up a goat fire farm, do pearl quests, cheese misery toad with lureplants and bunnymen, voidwalk to atrium and cheese fw with a spider egg or a lureplant, get moon caller's staff by reusing the fossils from fw, bring the sanctum to lunar and repair the altar, find pearl, expand base, etc.

-Summer: Ignore antlion if you don't care, bundle cactus flowers and do pearl quests. Can go to ck and cc directly from here or delay them until 2nd autumn and clear the ruins/kill fw a 2nd time

You can pretty much move anything around, food farms aren't a priority if you're playing alone and neither is stuff like mushlights or furnaces so this is really subjective

I play on public servers most of the time. (I never play solo, unless testing something with the help of commands).

So my perfect year is a year when i find friends, when we build a pretty base together, or enjoy a great adventure together or any other goal we do together. In my perfect year I don't have to constantly babysit new players, but I like if I can help someone or teach them something new.

It's kind of rare to play the whole year on pubs, even rarer for that year to be perfect. But it happens sometimes and when it does, the experience stays with me for many irl-days afterwards.

In short: My perfect year is when we don't starve together.

59 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

one where i dont die early in the run because i self impose permadeath

but that hasnt happened yet lmao

I often play this way too.  With how cheap resing is, after you get established there isn't much risk in the world.  Especially multiplayer.

The perfect year is one where I killed a spider, and maybe grow a pumpkin, that or:

Killed a spider. Chop a tree. Break rock.

Go spelunking. Get rekted by a spider in the dark. Get Thelucite crown.

Get killed while exiting ruins. Find my stuff. Kill the monke.

Kill the bee. Kill red bees. And then get killed by biggest bee. Then kill oversized fly.

Make base and get the rock. It's winter now :D. Its winter now :(.

Get speed cane. I wanna kill Santa Claus! Kill deerclops using spear and American football helmet.

GO back for revenge and run in straight lines around Queen bee. Experience the massacre of Moose Goose.

Add 5th crockpot, and then proceed to waste 10 whole days carrying the marble pieces. 

And then spend the whole summer in caves clearing out ruins, and get out of it feeling as if I lost something while I were in there.

and after all that, tame a beefalo (wow that beefalo could've been real useful like, 2 sentences ago). What we learned? 2 things. 1. There's whole lotta killing. 2. ????

Ride beefalo, life good. Beefalo mad, kill beefalo. Beefalo gone... regret.

Right now, my ideal year is starting a base and doing a lot of prep work to fight bee queen in the second autumn (unless I were to play as Wolfgang or Wigfrid). Specifically, my ideal first year looks something like this:

Autumn - outline the map, gather resources for a base, start base, try to get two stacks of seeds

Winter - stockpile tams, plant all seeds in search of specific crops (I look for potato, toma root, garlic, onion, pumpkin, pepper and dragon fruit). I'll start farming pretty hardcore after I get bundling wraps, so it's nice to have the seeds ready to go.

Spring - gather more resources for future fights and tasks (silk for beekeeper hats, mandrakes/reeds for panflutes, etc) and set-up an outpost in the caves. I'll also try to get a few stacks of ice - I'd rather front load this chore in the first spring, at the very beginning of the season. Build out my base a bit more.

Summer - go to the ruins to at least get a mag, star caller's staff, a few helmets and a couple suits.

8 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Here, I compiled a totally unexaggerated planning of the whole year, that'll be productive, aesthetically pleasing and let you experience most anything the world has to offer. I shall call it Survivors' Dream Plan

1684951856_Oneyearplan.thumb.png.a4e9b92e86a8e654f410cf2f2dcbd8bf.png

That's incredible. Can I somehow save this post?

Spoiler

rush ruins only for 2 star callers one mag and lazy explorer(just hope) 

get 5 fossils on your way out 

do the moonstone event in day 11

fight dragonfly and get the furnace on day 14

find terrarium and fight the twins on day 17 if you get the explorer

prepare for winter and explore full map until winter 

day 21 find blind deers

day 22 get the tusk for a walking cane (even i have the explorer i just think its better to have the cane)

find klaus if it spawned on day 24

day 26 fight klaus underprepared (like i absolutely always do and barely survive like with 20 hp)

day 27 collect grass and saplings 

day 28 finish the kitchen in the base 

day 29 volt goats and cactus (if not wigfrid)

day 30 prepare for deerclops 

day 31 get ice 

day 33 explore the rest of the map

day 35 plant all those grasses and saplings

day 35 - 37 get roads from mosaic biome for beequeen 

day 38 kill bunch of spiders for monster meat 

day 39 spam pierogi and get wigfrids hp song 

day 40 beequeen fight if its not raining

day 41 beequeen fight 

day 42 jellybeans and eye of terror fight folllowed by dragonfly (plan is attacking dfly in the dusk while terrarium is activated then make them aggro to each other just for fun)

day 44 get pig farm and drying racks 

day 50 kill moose goose

day 51 start preparing for summer and kill the werepigs

day 55 fun starts (yeah no i probably got wildfires off) 

day 56 kill antlion with marble suits 

day 58 go for finishing the ruins 

stay until day 68 bc scared of wildfires

day 69(nice) kill beequeen again 

day 70 do the default dance 

I prefer to take things easy. This is my rough schedule:

Day 1-11: Exploring. Get the shoreline explored and end day 11 by picking up Glommer.
Day 11-21: Building. Starter base, bee boxes and insulation by the end of autumn.
Day 21-31: Wintering. Resurrection magic, walking cane, and fully grown tree farm in time for Deerclops to arrive.
Day 31-36: Boating. Make a boat and make a round-trip to the lunar island before the end of winter.
Day 36-46: Farming. Two crop harvests during early spring: one for seeds, one for giant potatoes and toma root. Kill Gmoose with frog rain.
Day 46-56: Grinding. Expand the base with flooring and essential structures, prebuild a cave outpost.
Day 56-58: Moving. Get floral shirt, hammer vegetables, transfer all the resources I'll need to my new underground outpost before the wildfires start.
Day 58-70: Spelunking. Reach the pseudoscience station and get staffs and thulecite gear ready for year 2.

Archived