For threads that don't deserve their own thread

Ridden beefalos taking damage for the players is strangely inconsistent.

The player takes damage from projectiles like MacTusk darts and Bishop lasers when riding a beefalo, but they don't take damage from the CC 3rd phase lasers (also projectiles), cave ins (that fall from the ceiling), mosquitos, bees, batalisks (all three of which are flying), or even giants that are obviously tall enough to reach the player.

Food for thought.

Edit: I just noticed this while playing Wormwood. Taking a hit from a frog while on a beefalo still makes you drop an item. This might be the worst offender yet.

3 hours ago, UbiAnomaly said:

Ridden beefalos taking damage for the players is strangely inconsistent.

The player takes damage from projectiles like MacTusk darts and Bishop lasers when riding a beefalo, but they don't take damage from the CC 3rd phase lasers (also projectiles), cave ins (that fall from the ceiling), mosquitos, bees, batalisks (all three of which are flying), or even giants that are obviously tall enough to reach the player.

Food for thought.

Mactusk and the bishop are intelligent. They know to attack the rider. I don't think bees, bats, mosquitos, or giants are smart enough to realize that the rider is the one in charge.

Cave ins and maybe the cc laser are a bit weird though.

How bad did this stunlock shenanigans get when Wanda was released? And what was changed because of it?

I wasn't here for when Wanda first dropped and Klei was tweaking her.  I've only seen remnants of people bringing it up, and as far as I know I haven't really noticed anything different in-game

Walrus and ancient guardian are the only ones where I can really feel it.

15 minutes ago, Cloakingsumo198 said:

How bad did this stunlock shenanigans get when Wanda was released? And what was changed because of it?

I wasn't here for when Wanda first dropped and Klei was tweaking her.  I've only seen remnants of people bringing it up, and as far as I know I haven't really noticed anything different in-game

Walrus and ancient guardian are the only ones where I can really feel it.

And no eyed deer. They become such a pain to get rid of after you kill Klaus.

Funnily enough, Guardian Pigs are now easier to kite because you can hit them 3 times consistently before having to dodge. Before you can pretty much hit them only 1 time before they retaliate.

What do you think of using merm guards to fight the shadow pieces?  I just tried in a test world with 24 of them.  First attempt failed because I didn’t make them focus their aggro properly and I ended up with a level 3 bishop which just shredded my guards.  Two attempts succeeded by focusing the knight instantly (need to be quick since they can kill the first level pieces very fast) and then got them to focus on the bishop.  Then the level 3 rook doesn’t give them much trouble at all.

Another one failed even though we killed every piece.  I think because we killed the rook before it transformed to level 3.  That’s a risk since there will always be a few guards who will be attacking the level 2 rook, even if I keep boomeranging the level 2 bishop.

I wonder if this might be too risky.  You have more control if you solo it (my real world is a solo world).  I don’t want to end up with a level 3 bishop just hanging out with me next to all of the dead guards.

28 minutes ago, abrocator said:

What do you think of using merm guards to fight the shadow pieces?  I just tried in a test world with 24 of them.  First attempt failed because I didn’t make them focus their aggro properly and I ended up with a level 3 bishop which just shredded my guards.  Two attempts succeeded by focusing the knight instantly (need to be quick since they can kill the first level pieces very fast) and then got them to focus on the bishop.  Then the level 3 rook doesn’t give them much trouble at all.

Another one failed even though we killed every piece.  I think because we killed the rook before it transformed to level 3.  That’s a risk since there will always be a few guards who will be attacking the level 2 rook, even if I keep boomeranging the level 2 bishop.

I wonder if this might be too risky.  You have more control if you solo it (my real world is a solo world).  I don’t want to end up with a level 3 bishop just hanging out with me next to all of the dead guards.

The rook is fought last because its slow but powerful attacks are the easiest to handle in most situations when soloing the fight. Against a group of merms I believe the lvl 3 knight would be easiest. Its attacks are tough to dodge but they only hit a single target, a target which isn't even going to be dodging in the first place.

38 minutes ago, abrocator said:

as cheggf said the knight is weak against crowds. I never tested but if was on me i would do rook-->bishop-->knight

but as you explained, is dangerous because they can aggro other shadows and mess the fight (thing that my friend learned the hard way vs klaus xD)

While this thread of threads is on the topic of the SCP I'd like to start my own thread here and say that I really like how unique each of the pieces are.

Most people typically just kill the rook last because that's what they heard someone say to do because they heard someone say that etc, but in addition to all 3 of them having interesting artwork and behavior there's good reason to fight them all last. The rook has insane damage, but attacks a bit slow allowing one person to get some good DPS if they're fast enough to dodge his attacks. The knight is harder to dodge leading to less DPS, but is more vulnerable to groups whether that's players or mobs. The bishop is typically the most dangerous but there are reasons you would want to fight him last. There are some strategies that allow you to dodge his attacks when you would be too slow to dodge the rook's, such as with Wortox's hop or Wendy's sister.

Edit to clarify: Wortox could also dodge the rook by hopping, but it has more health and attacks faster than the bishop making it a worse option.

16 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

There are some strategies that allow you to dodge his attacks when you would be too slow to dodge the rook's, such as with Wortox's hop or Wendy's sister

Wanda with her backstep watch too but is harder than with wortox

16 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Most people typically just kill the rook last because that's what they heard someone say to do because they heard someone say that etc

or because is a free victory with enough speed :/ (kinda boring imo but is what we have..)

32 minutes ago, abrocator said:

Nice.  I’ll test that :)

I tried

1. rook → bishop → knight
  2. bishop → rook → knight

#1 failed at least half the time for me.  Allied guards  are usually incredibly reluctant to attack things that you haven’t targeted yourself, but they really went after the knight.  I think the problem is that the bishop isn’t targetable while it is doing its attack, which leaves a lot of time for the guards to refocus their aggro onto the knight.  And it doesn’t take a lot of time for these guards to kill level 2 shadow pieces.

#2 was solid.  I always got the order that I wanted.  Getting the bishop out of the way immediately is really helpful since neither of the remaining pieces are that dangerous to 24 merms.  So it won’t be a big deal if I mess up and get a level 3 rook instead.  Also the movement buff from the marsh turf is enough to dodge the level 2 rook (I built this console arena with marsh turf).  So the tactic was: focus the bishop immediately with a dark sword; level 1 bishop melts immediately.  Then focus level 2 rook with a dark sword as well.  Kiting/dodging is optional.  There isn’t enough damage output from the two pieces to be a problem for a Wurt with battle helmets and healing food.  Then keep the guards’ aggro by using a boomerang; you might be able to just press ‘f’ if there are no butterflies or bees around.

I also tried #2 with one extra knight (just to get one extra heart + armor + sword).  So all the pieces from the suspicious things plus a potter wheel knight.  This failed most of the time.  The problem is that you have to wait a bit after releasing the shadows in order for the potter wheel knight to be released; if you don’t the knight won’t be able to get to level 3.  And that little wait is enough for the bishop to start its attack and then things get really messy  since it’s hard to target it in time before the first level 1 piece dies (often very fast).  Then you will most probably have a level 2 bishop and two level 2 knights and it’s a cointoss (at best) whether the bishop or one of the knight will fall first.  So not worth the risk and effort in my opinion.  If you do things correctly, however, killing all of these shadow pieces is not a problem for 24 guards.

26 minutes ago, abrocator said:

I think the problem is that the bishop isn’t targetable while it is doing its attack, which leaves a lot of time for the guards to refocus their aggro onto the knight

must be, dst AIs have a hard time remembering their enemies. Is the same with lazy explorer, wortox or wanda backstep, mobs forget them

i wish klei wasnt worried about what people think about their artistic expression and added a refreshed warbucks (wheleer's perks fits him...) and piglets... even if the game become polemic it will be a good thing since would be "free advertisment" by angry bitter paladins of hipocresy twitter users making the game known by people who didnt know about it

22 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Someone said he sounds like he's saying George and now I can't unhear it. Help me, how do cause enough head trauma to erase the memory?

"Geeeeorge, Georgie, gggggeorge,gegegeorgie"

-Glommer

you've traumatized me

I have recently changed to Terror Shield as my main weapon and I'm loving it.

After defeating Celestial Champion for the third time with some friends and getting the Enlightened Crown I had to change Dark Sword as my main weapon to keep some sanity for the Crown's relative permanent light and extra damage and had to ditch the Eye Mask to actually use it leaving me without an armor. 

I didn't want to use a chest armor because all of them (except for Bone Armor) were not refuelable and I would need to craft them again at some time making me carry more resources to craft them when broken. Also, I don't have the best connection on the dedicated server I'm playing in so the Magiluminescence helped me with kiting, so with the Crown and Magi I needed both a weapon and armor.

I once thought Shield of Terror wasn't that great, but after keeping using it frequently I can't think of a better gear for usual surface or cave fights: it's a weapon, it's armor, it's repairable and enables the use of magiluminescence which helps me in kiting, works as an emergency lightsource when I run out of sanity to light the Crown and even gives an extra sanity/minute to get damage bonus a bit earlier. 

Of course, there are some cons to the Shield, like the expensive risk of breaking it, but I've learnt from the first one I broke and now carry some Glommer goop with me to fix it and I avoid tanking without a beefalo or chest armor with superior damage absorption. I'm also thinking about fighting Twins again because sooner or later I could break it.

So these are my thoughts and experience with the Shield of Terror, I knew it was versatile when it was released but never actually found it an use until now.

tl; dr: Shield of Terror is good for usual fights; not reliable for boss fights or tanking unless you use more armor and can fix it mid-fight; enables the use of Magiluminescence and Enlightened Crown.

52 minutes ago, DelroyBM said:

[…]

Nice, very cool to hear this.  I am going to test if I can defeat the Twins using my 29 flortifications arena.  If so I can get 2–3 of them in a year and in turn have some backups in case they break.  I think the shield of terror will work well for Wurt.

5 minutes ago, abrocator said:

Nice, very cool to hear this.  I am going to test if I can defeat the Twins using my 29 flortifications arena.  If so I can get 2–3 of them in a year and in turn have some backups in case they break.  I think the shield of terror will work well for Wurt.

Yeah, although she can turn the fish to eggs and use that as fertilizer or filler she would probably get more use out of the fish by feeding them to the shield.

I highly recommend the shield for Wurt. Really good synergy all around.

1 hour ago, HowlVoid said:

Yeah, although she can turn the fish to eggs and use that as fertilizer or filler she would probably get more use out of the fish by feeding them to the shield.

I mostly use meats (monster etc.) for my mask.  I bundle a fair amount for my future Wigfrid swap but there’s still plenty (I also let a lot of it turn to rot just because I can’t be bothered).

Still though the consumption of such “fuel” will increase once I both have the mask and the shield.

For the no-spoilage backup the already-mentioned glommers goop is excellent.

33 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

I just realized year of the dog is going to be about chester! Yes!

Isn’t Year of the Dog already in the game as like Year of the Clay Varg or something?

So far the game already has Gobbler, Varg, Carrat, Beefalo, Catcoon

So next years will be Bunny/Bunnymen.

Archived