How to help players without resources at Cooperative servers

1 hour ago, RichNCrispy said:

Here’s the thing, I think that if you want to put the work in for new players, then that’s amazing and I’m sure they’ll appreciate it. However, I don’t think it’s wrong to decide to not put this level or any level of preparation for new players. And, as a new player, not expect for this level of care to be ready for you. You want to put in the time? Great! But if not, then there is no standard for what you need to be doing.

I highly doubt that "doing nothing" counts as "do our best" in Cooperative servers.

This is especially true for a player like me.

I'm not "doing my best" by leaving nothing at Florid Postern for everyone every Cycle and every Season with Game Mode: Survival and Game Mode: Endless.

1 hour ago, nikk said:

It's pointless to talk about newbies in thread not about newbies.

It's pointless to talk about griefers in thread not about griefers.

It is not pointless because these structures could possibly be abused by the former when we’re trying to help the latter. It conflicts with your objective.

It’s like putting a bread bowl out in public and leaving it out there for poor people, you will have some middle-class and upper-class take some loaves.

10 minutes ago, Sweaper said:

Just make a torch

Very useful for Day Type: Only Night early.

A good early idea for Day Type: Default, Day Type: Long Night.

You can skip it with Day Type: Only Day, Day Type: Only Dusk.

It is also less useful if you always stay together with Willow.

It is less useful if you have many Fire Pits along common paths (mid-late game).

Just now, nikk said:

You can skip it with "Day Type: Only Day", "Day Type: Only Dusk".

It is also less useful if you always stay together with Willow.

It is less useful if you have many Fire Pits along common paths.

It's much cheaper than multiple fire pits and depending on the server setting you start with enough materials for two

23 minutes ago, nikk said:

This thread isn't about griefers or how to deal with griefers.

And I’ll say it again, the system will only work if theoretically everyone uses the resources properly. It’s Murphy’s Law.

Like leaving 5 spider eggs at portal is a disaster waiting to happen.

I am curious whether you're worried about helping players early-game (i.e. day 1-25?), or later.
Early-game, resources tend to be pretty low, and there are a lot of projects to take care of in mind for people, such as building food sources, obtaining gold, etc. And that usually results in neglect towards newcomers, which is understandable given the circumstances.
If you're talking about late days, I think pretty much everyone has a base set up at this point, so moonlens is all you need to make them quickly reach your destination when they open the map.

Usually newcomers get proper attention once majority of people have settled at a base with a comfortable food source, light, and resources overall, and that happens very often way past the first Winter, or even later.

(Assuming any new player is not a griefer and is not completely new to the game.)

Prepare a mini base at the florid postern should suffice. The base should at least has:

1. Firepit AND endothermic firepit
  2. Lightning rod
  3. At least 1 crock pot ( ice box is optional)
  4. protected by Ice-flingo
  5. Alchemy Engine
  6. Spare backpacks contain basic resources ( twig, grass, logs, flint, stone, gold, helmet, spear)
  7. (Optional) Chest contain some other resources ( silk, spider-gland, nitre, season clothing...)

With the setup above, the base is sufficiently protected from thunder and smoldering, any new player enter can just grab a backpack and start exploring. If the new player starts in Winter/Summer, they can make a thermal stone with the resources inside the backpack & the alchemy engine or they can live at the mini base if they wanted.

1) build a cobble stone all around the spawn (in like 8x8 turfs radius)

2) then leave this at spawn for newcomers:

• booster shots - you don't want newcomers to be infectious
  • a chair, a table, a bowl and a potato cup
  • a mushlight, glowcap or nightlight
  • enightened crown
  • a bundle of thanks
  • some empty bottles and some powdercakes (they last long, so they are the ideal meal to leave there)
  • pan flute, one-man band, strident trident and a soprano bell shell - entertainment is important for sanity
  • siesta lean-to & Sleepytime stories
  • papyrus and pen; a cook book
  • razor, brush, watering (or waterfowl) can and a bath bomb for your hygiene
  • grooming station for your beef and hay wall
  • bucket-o-poop for survivors to have a place to relieve themselves (seriously, if you've ever played ONI, you know what i'm talking about)
  • some protective spirits:
    • 2 gnomes - 1 male & 1 female
    • moon figure or ancient guardian figure
    • a friendly scarecrow
    • Bernie
  • some protective gear
    • some inflatable vests in case someone falls into the ocean
    • a bush hat, or clever disguise for the cowards
  • if you enable new years events, you could build some shrines for your favourite pet to
  • moon dial, thermal measurer and rainometer
  • and most important of all - clean sweeper so that every new player who joins can clean up after themselves

whatever you do do not leave these:

• air unfreshener
  • The end is nigh book
  • a living log (seriously, these guys will completely mess with the other stuff you build there, you won't even recognize it when you get back)
  • cursed rounds
  • seawreath
  • weather pain - who wants to add a tornado to the already cruel weather of the Constant?
  • mad scientist lab - new players don't know how to use it and could potentially blow up the spawn

If you don't like my suggestions you can always build a moon rock wall around it and spawn some tentacles there. I'm sure newcomers would appreciate free moon rocks, monster meat and tentacle spikes.

Authoritative list of things to leave at the portal:

1. Consumables. Griefers will just hammer or burn any structure you build, so don't try to build anything permanent. With consumables it won't matter if they're burned since they're designed to be used up anyway.
  2. Low durability items. 10x 10% football helmets block just as much damage as 1x 100% football helmet, so leave your old tools and armour by the portal for someone to use.
  3. Late-game gear. Newbies will likely have difficulty surviving, so make sure you furnish them with equipment that makes the early game easier, like hibearnation vests, eyebrella's, krampus sacks, dark swords and thulecite armour.
  4. Bundling wraps. The anticipation of opening a gift without knowing what's in it is a wonderful thing for new players, and since they don't have the bundling wrap blueprint they will have to accept whatever they unwrap. So fill up some wraps with things new players might find useful, like stacks of meaty stew, ice cream, killer bee's and spitter spiders.
  5. Friends. Joining a new server on your own can be lonely, so make sure you have someone at the portal to greet the newcomer. Wurt's merms, Webbers spiders and Wicker's tentacles are all very friendly, and a new player who finds them at the portal will be reassured that the players on the server are making best use of their characters perks.

I rather finding the world having resources at the places they are supposed to be, instead of a chest full of stuff that may or may not be looted by less experienced players joining before me (EG: pigs being at the biomes they are supposed to be to werepig them, instead of all pig houses being destroyed or relocated). The only things that I'd appreciate when late joining and would save me a lot of time are an alchemy station, and a thermal stone.
As it was mentioned before if the players are new to the game, they will most likely take all and not know how to use the things no matter how many things you leave around.

1 hour ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Why invest so heavily to the development of the portal area when one Lazy Deserter will be enough to teleport the players strait to the base?

This isn't true for every server in my experience. I play pubs without password!

I personally find some stuff around portal as better start in general. I also don't need top loop if you give gold tools at least.

You don't need anything to mark a portal. Everyone knows where it is.

1 hour ago, nikk said:

You don't need anything to mark a portal. Everyone knows where it is.

Man, you don't mark the Portal with Lazy Deserter, it's for teleporting players via channeling. Frankly, the more I read your replies the more I get the feeling you either use Google Translate, or aren't yourself experienced enough - more-so with pubs/dedicated servers - to actually give advice for long-term worlds, player behavior and survival tips. With your proposed mini-camp at gate, even assuming no griefers will come (spoiler: they will, no matter what, in all servers, except the "???" ping ones where no one comes), vast majority of them players (bulk player-base folks are at a beginner level) will just die, camping there. Even with a medium-developed base they will still die. You either tutor them as sidekicks if you are that willing/courteous, or you make a basic setup and hope for best; a setup with griefer/beginner level-destruction in mind (peeps usually tend to wreck bases/setups from lack of knowledge) - Fire Pit, Lightning Rod, Endothermic Fire Pit (not necessary, but to be sure players won't boil alive mid-summer, right out-of-gate), perhaps an Alchemy Engine and direction towards closest Cave Entrance - yes, Cave, because without a Cave shard or a permanent base and its owner there, almost all pub goers end up corpses past 1st Autumn, no 2 sides about it. But honesty I don't see why you made a thread about your advice, was better suited as a post in "Tips on how to be Courteous to Fellow Players" given you won't accept any counter-argument or a discussion about your points, is "my way or the highway"; you haven't even answered for whom this Spawn base proposal is, only for whom it ISN'T. Pretty amusing as a whole - this lil authoritarian conduct - in a supposedly helpful context, eh.

This thread isn't about griefers or how to deal with griefers.

Reported x0-VERSUS-1y to mods.

23 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Man, you don't mark the Portal with Lazy Deserter

Learn English first.

Nobody except you said that.

Learn English first. This topic isn't about "random players that may pop into your server".

This thread isn't specifically about public servers without any reasonable admin online.

This thread isn't specifically about public servers without any password.

11 minutes ago, nikk said:

This thread isn't specifically about public servers without any reasonable admin online.

This thread isn't specifically about public servers without any password.

Who IS this thread about??? Seriously I've been reading this thread since it started and I still don't know. Explain please. 

Archived