How to help players without resources at Cooperative servers

This thread isn't about random players you saw.

This thread isn't about griefers or how to deal with griefers.

This thread isn't about players who don't know how to kick and ban other players.

This thread isn't specifically about public servers without any reasonable admin online.

This thread isn't specifically about public servers without any password.

I personally don't like this attitude for servers with Cooperative playstyle:

653528567_Cooperativeplaystyle.thumb.jpg.929ca7dd8305234db3fad80d22910fb5.jpg

I strongly recommend to build (or leave) near Florid Postern (first portal) for Game Mode: Survival and Game Mode: Endless:

1. at least one Fire Pit

2. at least one Endothermic Fire Pit

3. Science Machine (or Alchemy Engine)

4. Lightning Rod and Ice Flingomatic

5. leave 1 Spear and 1 Log Suit per player without resources at this server if you can

6. Crock Pot

7. 10 gold per player without resources at this server if you can

8. Ice Box

9. Tent

10. some unwanted Gold Tools

11. at least one Spider Egg per player without resources at this server if you can. This is especially true if they won't have any source of meat nearby.

12. some Pine Cones. This is especially true if they won't have any trees nearby.

13. at least one Pig House would be cool

5 minutes ago, nikk said:

5. leave 1 Spear and 1 Log Suit per player without resources at this server if you can

From personal (experimental) experiences I can tell you, in vast majority of cases, first come will take all of those resources left at Gate, even if those are 15x Rot, 3x Bones, a 1% Football Helmet, 2x Warly's Crockpots and 1 Phlegm collecting dust in a chest - random Wilson needs it all!

49 minutes ago, nikk said:

I personally don't like this attitude for servers with Cooperative playstyle:

I strongly recommend to build (or leave) near Florid Postern (first portal):

1. at least one Fire Pit

6. Crock Pot

8. Ice Box

9. Tent

11. some Pine Cones. This is especially true if they won't have any trees nearby

12. at least one Pig House would be cool

I think that that is great, probably a bit of over-kill. Usually if I’m leaving a base by the Florid Postern, it’s fire, endothermic fire, science machine, lightning rod, crock pot and 3 each of twigs, grass and berry bushes. Like enough that they don’t die right off the bat but not so much that they want live there forever.

22 minutes ago, nikk said:

I strongly recommend to build (or leave) near Florid Postern (first portal):

1. at least one Fire Pit

6. Crock Pot

8. Ice Box

9. Tent

11. some Pine Cones. This is especially true if they won't have any trees nearby

12. at least one Pig House would be cool

1. Acceptable
  2. Unnecessary, better put down a sign leading to the next cave entrance since there's no overheating in caves
  3. Acceptable, just put it further away from other structures so it doesn't burn together with everything else during summer
  4. Unnecessary & expensive, requires alot of fuel, players don't know how to operate it and it will anyway be smashed for gears and Meatball fillers later on
  5. That's not realizable without camping next to the spawn, players just grab everything they see and leave or die somewhere else with all their loot, better leave them anywhere on the world not close to spawn so players can pick them up if they need it and everyone might get a chance to obtain one of these
  6. Acceptable, just put it further away from other structures so it doesn't burn together with everything else during summer
  7. Same as 5.
  8. Unnecessary, better keep your food with yourself to avoid starvation and it will anyway sooner or later be looted by a Wilson, Wolfgang, or anyone else
  9. Players don't understand how to use the Tent and will instead either use it 6 times in a row, or just sleep inside until they run out of food
  10. Same as 5.
  11. There are trees everywhere
  12. Hurts Webber, Wortox and Wurt, and it will for sure be smashed by an anonymous to obtain 2x Pig Skin

I’ve learned to leave NOTHING at the spawn because some random grief player will join destroying it all.. and it doesn’t take much to grief, Torch/Hammer- All your work building anything goes down the drain.

So INSTEAD what I do is leave everything bare: Atleast then, the griever has to WORK and actually stay alive long enough to reach my Base (most likely built far far away from spawn) before they can grief it.

And you know what? I give them bonus props points if they can survive joining Summer or Winter and then dedicating themselves to staying alive long enough to find and destroy my base.. 

But I also know how to rebuild most of what they destroy either.. so they’ll get frustrated their grief tactics don’t work & they will leave.

Consider it as well a test of who is worthy & who will fail.

I personally just feel that, if a player is incapable of surviving on his / her own in a harsh season / time when they knowingly join a server (doesn't matter if public or private) that has said season / time, they are just not capable of playing in said server during said season / time. Players aren't obliged to make an unused base (most of your points) at portal when they can make it at someplace more strategic, as a base is a huge resource sink especially during early game. I personally think that basic resources aren't necessary for people who join post day 10 as well, since they will have spawned in with basic resources in their inventories (by default).

Sure, maybe having some basic resources at the portal might help in the survivability of fellow players who join, but you never know which players are trolls (and destroy everything in their wake), and which players are in to try and succeed in surviving their first harsh season. But all in all, if a player is incapable to survive with spawned-in resources in his / her inventory, then he / she is not supposed to play in said season. I also believe that players who look out too much for other players usually end up suffering because of it.

My one and only take on courtesy by players, old AND new, in a server is: leaving all their resources at a place accessible by other players if they know they won't be rejoining / leave unnecessary resources behind so that other players may have a use for them. Announcing your departure and where you stash your stuff is fairly helpful to other players in the server too. Anything else doesn't really matter as long as it's a renewable resource. Burn a forest? Go ahead and bring back charcoal! Destroy all surface spider dens? There is always the caves if you are desperate for silk and glands. Eat mandrakes for breakfast? Klaus still gives back some every year, so it's not really a biggie!

6 minutes ago, nikk said:

This thread isn't about griefers or how to deal with griefers.

the average player joining will take everything, it doesn't mean he's a griefer, it's just what new players do they tend to hoard everything they see.

I've tried to do things like this many times before, like as Wigfrid leave 10 helmets at portal, Wilson joins and grabs every single one. Even 10 axes or 5 stacks of flint, same faith, it's extremely rare that they last past the first or second person who joins the server. I realized I'm just wasting my time.

19 minutes ago, nikk said:

So i guess this thread is only about you?

In that case, join a server that is for you, If not, leave the server and join/create a server for you.

Also, in that case, if you are only interested about you, you set your own standard and there is nothing to be discussed.

48 minutes ago, nikk said:

If your intent is to aid the people you know, but they are joining late, you can help them by crafting a Cratered Moonrock with 3 moon rocks and then socket it with a blue/red gem from digging graves for a permanent marker on the map, so that they have a much easier time reaching your base for resources.

1 hour ago, nikk said:

If that spawn mini-base isn't for random players that may pop into your server/pub where you play and think they need a helping hand, for whom is it? You, camping at spawn? Your friends that can't reach your base and aren't adept at taking directions towards it, or can't be bothered following you or be teleported? Bait for Deerclops/Bearger? :abnormal:

I always try to let everyone play however they want.

Sometimes "main base" doesn't even exists. Never assume that somebody would build a huge base or that this base can accessed by you (Ownership mods aren't rare).

If they want to join main base.

If they want their own base close to your.

If they want their own base anywhere.

If they don't have their own base.

Another example how some "advices" aren't good:

4 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

Unnecessary, better put down a sign leading to the next cave entrance since there's no overheating in caves

1. they assume that Summer is present everywhere (true by default)

2. they force everyone to play Caves (second world)

3. they assume that Caves are enabled for every server (actually not true by default in DST 479502)

4. they think that Caves are easier than Forest (first world)

Please don't give such "advices". Thanks.

It may take a day or week to give a proper answer to what I asked for every World Setting, Character and Playstyle.

Nobody did at this forum before I think or that thread is obsolete already.

OP, do you even know what this thread is about? If so, please be more clear about it. 

if you are not doing it for random players who join a server, then for who? For the rare occasion when experienced players join? what's the point, they know how to survive anyway and won't hang around portal.

5 minutes ago, BeeClops said:

OP, do you even know what this thread is about? If so, please be more clear about it. 

if you are not doing it for random players who join a server, then for who? For the rare occasion when experienced players join? what's the point, they know how to survive anyway and won't hang around portal.

I think another way to phrase these questions is like this: What can be useful for every Character, World Setting and playstyle? Bonus points for starting tips about multi-Character combos. Take some popular mods into account as well if you want.

Maybe something else is missing here.

I hope you get it better this way.

1 minute ago, Capybara007 said:

That list is extremely overkill, pubs wont take the time to build something for new players to the server, when that is gonna get looted or griefed. Sometimes you have to face the wild nature of pubs

Who said that DST servers are just public servers without password?

You can solve these "problems" in 2 clicks.

5 hours ago, nikk said:

I strongly recommend to build (or leave) near Florid Postern

Just so it can be all burned to ashes shortly after by a random griefer or hammered down for resources by someone who wants to quickly make a base somewhere away from everyone and leaves nothing behind.

There is a reason why people rarely build stuff around Florid Postern on servers.

Here’s the thing, I think that if you want to put the work in for new players, then that’s amazing and I’m sure they’ll appreciate it. However, I don’t think it’s wrong to decide to not put this level or any level of preparation for new players. And, as a new player, not expect for this level of care to be ready for you. You want to put in the time? Great! But if not, then there is no standard for what you need to be doing.

Archived