The difference between Casual & Veteran.

18 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

Funny enough you are the only person that has very niche personal wants, larvae trespassing walls is an example.

And now I want YOU to tell me exactly what is wrong with that? As I’ve said in another thread, Xbox only has one type of Server to join: PLAYER HOSTED ONES.

Which means: I encounter worlds where people have completely modified the way the game plays on near about every single server I can possibly join.

Anyone playing this game on XBOX probably can also confirm with that.

and SINCE I encounter worlds where the host has modified the settings beyond just “Default” I feel I have every right to discuss ways players should be able to modify those worlds even further.

If I want to host a world where Larvae break through walls or less complicated: Walls can’t be placed in the fight at all…

WHY DO YOU CARE?!?!

If you don’t like the server settings leave and find a different server to join, or go host your own.

But if I want to be the host of a world and force people to play the way I want them to play: I literally have those tools at my disposal already.

Every 3rd or so server you join on XBOX I promise you will have MODIFIED SETTINGS in some capacity or another, it could be to make things easier… it could be to make things harder- my point is I encounter them in nearly every single last world I can possibly join.

So I KNOW full well their capabilities..

And I know that if Klei added an option for something like “RNG Mob Encounters? yes/no/more/less/Random

that there will be groups of people who turn that ON, Groups of people who leave it OFF and groups of people who hit the Random Button.

Quit trying to completely dismiss a game feature that due to Xbox only having one type of server to join: “Player Hosted” I experience on a daily basis.

26 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

And now I want YOU to tell me exactly what is wrong with that?

The fact that literally only you want some self-centered changes. If you want the game to be 1000% according to you, why don't you buy a computer and make some mods? And please don't say you simply can't afford it, you literally bought xbox X

Okay so even if I played for 7 and a half years (since 2014 when RoG came out), I wouldn't consider myself a veteran, I'm not a person who speedruns and all taht stuff, I just have fun with the game and I'm not one of those who tries to beat the damn game in 30 in-game days (killing the champion), though it's survival based, I have fun at times

51 minutes ago, ShadowQueen said:

Okay so even if I played for 7 and a half years (since 2014 when RoG came out), I wouldn't consider myself a veteran

You could still be considered a veteran. You've been here a long time, that's basically the criteria by definition as far as I'm aware.

The topic title may be Casual vs Veteran but that's an apples to oranges comparison. More like Casual vs Competitive or Newbie vs Veteran. Not even those are mutually exclusive, but closer comparisons. Heck I just showed off my whole 900 day casual player survival world in the screenshot thread. Yeah I know about all the fancy stuff. And I like seeing the creative ways people solo bosses or make crazy farms. But my playstyle is basically chillax and roam instead of kill kill kill. Casual veteran is totally a thing!

Whenever Klei feels this thread is doing more harm then it is with its intended good, they will lock it, and yeah I admit I may have chosen a bad name for the thread.. but I couldn’t really think of anything else to name it, the point of this thread is for NO ONE to be ashamed of how they play or how skilled or knowledgeable they are about the game, I made this thread in hopes that people of varying playstyles will express their viewpoints & opinions- And when one group of players suggest a change to how the game works or how Klei adds a new feature, the OTHER groups of player playstyles will chime in with sensible, logical reason why they don’t like that change/suggestion & then instead of Fighting about it: Think about the other sides request & come up with creative ways that aims to satisfy all parties involved.

Technically that’s Klei’s Job.. but, it also wouldn’t hurt if we the players of their games would start providing our own input on how we feel it can be handled to satisfy everyone & (hopefully) help speed up the process while not hurting or changing one type of playstyles playing preferences over another.

For example: I see a lot of people wanting some update they’re calling “through the ages” this update from the best of my knowledge about it: was meant to make the game world, seasons and challenges become progressively more difficult the more days you have survived.

A feature like this would absolutely have to be entirely optional, otherwise people who never asked for their game to get progressively harder as time goes on, now has their game experience completely ruined.

Sure they can always delete their worlds and start new ones: Just like how in State of Decay 2 the world becomes more and more infected with zombies until eventually (either through their sheer growing numbers or through the world your in being plucked of all useable resources) you have NO CHOICE but to move to a new less infected land.

I think in cases like the above: through the ages example: it’s good to actually UTILIZE this menu full of things you can toggle on/off/more/less over that some of you are trying to dismiss completely.

Being able to choose rather or not the world scales in difficulty with a “through the ages” content update.

THAT is what this threads intentions are.

When someone says “please let me have a way to prevent wall placing in Dragonfly’s fight” or when someone says “please give us a way to renew non-renewable resources like reeds & Catcoon dens” or “please Klei make the game NOT Pause when viewing Map & Inventory”

Rather then Klei just updating the game to let Larvae explode through walls players enjoy using, there should be Server options that let us choose rather we want those walls to be useable in the fight or not.

Rather then just updating the game and making Catcoon dens & Reeds renewable, there should be OPTIONS that keep them the way they are now as non-renewable.

And Rather then having the new pause feature pause the Mini-Map & Inventory by default with no way of changing that, there should be OPTIONS to choose rather you want just a pause button.. or a pause button that also pauses the Map/Inventory.

The TL:DR It never hurts to have MORE OPTIONS that Satisfy everyone’s playing preferences. And the more we try to suggest ways to satisfy everyone’s play preferences the more enjoyable the game will be, not just for you, not just for me.. but for everyone.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

The TL:DR It never hurts to have MORE OPTIONS that Satisfy everyone’s playing preferences. And the more we try to suggest ways to satisfy everyone’s play preferences the more enjoyable the game will be, not just for you, not just for me.. but for everyone.

It does not work like that. You can't solve everything by adding a trillion options for any niche imaginable scenario. Not only is it a poor time investment from developers, but it's also completely impossible and pointless to do. The "don't allow walls to be placed at Dfly" option is just this. Nearly anyone I know plays this game on default settings.

And speaking of your suggestions...

As much as I advocate for features from Shipwrecked and Hamlet which would colossally make DST as a whole a harder game.. I Understand that not EVERYONE wants RNG Mob encounters those DLC’s Had.. because not everyone plays the game the way I do, and imagine just wanting to build bases and chop wood all the hostile mobs you would need to deal with if such a suggestion were added-

Which is exactly why there need to be OPTIONS.. if people want it: Toggle it On or join a world with those settings applied, and if people Don’t want it: Leave it off (like Most people do with Wildfires) or join a server that has it set to off.

It is exactly that. A meaningless waste of time. Of course we need annoying mobs falling from trees (technically, this IS in the game in some capacity - the small bats that appear when you chop trees during hallowed nights, which no one likes), but obviously make it an option. You're like, the only one who wants this. So imagine Klei taking this suggestion and adding it. Assuming it's a new mob you want, they'd have to go out of their way to design a mob, make animations for it, add AI to it, implement it into the game, script it to appear under this condition, then implement a new option in world settings that people will have to disable the same way they'd disable disease before. A bad feature that will end up being completely neglected. How does this even benefit anyone ever except you? It's ok to suggest something once, but you're acting like you're expecting it to be added (just like with your "uncompromising mode").

Making every new feature an option is not what this game has been about. I'd hardly even call world settings being a selling point.

What was this thread about again? Having the devs go out of their way to add options for any type of player and any situation because Mike wants that and doesn't acknowledge how difficult it'd be to implement?

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

When someone says “please let me have a way to prevent wall placing in Dragonfly’s fight” or when someone says “please give us a way to renew non-renewable resources like reeds & Catcoon dens” or “please Klei make the game NOT Pause when viewing Map & Inventory”

Dont compare a selfish niche suggestion with making the game less frustrating in late game or adding a handholding thing like is auto-pausing so console players can have a less painfull time playing with a controller like in DS (funny to see you dont like that much the autopause QoL update when you always complain about playing with controller)

If you host a game you can tell everybody to dont use the wall method or you can even broke it a little with a hammer if you decide to fight DF and there is a wall you dont want. You dont lose materials by hammering 2 pieces off wall (it returns you the rocks wasted) and you can repaired it after the fight. So why would klei add stupid choices like that? Shall klei add a choice to prevent iceflingo cheese? AG cheese prevention? Uneffective pan flute in bosses? Is a waste of time when you can simply dont use that methods and dont play with people that uses them if that is so important for you but who would think thant having 4838294 settings is better that having content...

If you need an option to control how people play in your server maybe the problem is another

1 hour ago, prettynuggets said:

now i understand this meme. i could use mod if i cant ask game to implement thing i desire .

The Glorious PC Gaming Master Race | Know Your Meme

And you can use weather pains

These console peasants with their melee weather pains xD

1 hour ago, phobs said:

mike lacks popularity?  

I like to think he keeps things interesting between updates and also the fastest way to farm rep in this game's general forum mode but some veterans might be calling for a nerf as it's allowing casuals to catch up to them with little to no effort while others have been saying it's just a forum why does it matter if people farm rep.

Spoiler

Idk man I'm bored.

14 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I compare DST to MOBA games because DST is getting UPDATES that give characters Multiplayer focused Abilities…

Abilities: That go hand in hand with another characters abilities or strengths.

Wendys petal buff now allows WES to deal more damage.. get it yet??

Those other sandbox games your talking of aren’t comparable because UNLIKE an MOBA or Hell even just Apex Legends works: Aka- Any game where characters are great on their own with their abilities: But when combined with another characters abilities make them even greater.

Name ANY Sandbox survival game that does that..

Then look at smite and it’s cast of 200+ characters that SYNERGIES with one another.

If DST was NOT getting these character reworks that are intentionally aimed at giving single player characters new found multiplayer functionality & abilities… I would NOT be comparing the games characters to SMITE or Apex Legends because it would have continued to be irrelevant.

I'm curious, do you actually play Smite or are you just name dropping it? There's only 110 or so gods/playable characters in the game and not nearly as many as you're implying are that directly synergised. Also I'm confused as to how a comparison between MOBA's and DST is relevant to the thread in any way

8 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Edited 7 minutes ago by __IvoCZE__
explanation: trough the ages is a new reign's early name, get outta here with those lies, mike.

as i know through the ages was planned to be a seasonal and long term centered update so mike isnt lying

get outta here with those rude commends, ivocze. Your only contribution to the forums is being rude to mike...

3 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Can you please give me a link or something? I believe that TTA was supposed to be an update/set of ones in the *long-term development* plan, just like how ANR went. If it's true then i apologize. Also I may have been a little too harsh, however my point is that Mike usually says flimsy misinformation like a fact.

not so much time ago there were a topic that shows the link about the info of what klei was planning. I didnt play dst in that times (i already played but my pc broke so i didnt read so much info about dst) and the search bar from the forums sucks but ideas like the sand storm or disease came from that 1st plan that for some reason they changed to start working in ANR which was a good idea since ANR has more impact in less in game time with less complications while codding (i guess thinking and coding new seasonal events is harder that design a boss). So it will have sense if soon they will start working again on TTA since with ANR and ROT we got a lot of stuff to make us busy for +100 days, now they can work on things for +100 days servers

yes, he is often saying lies, overexagerations or just talking about things he doesnt understand but is also true that i only see you comment to atack him...

Thank you all for the apologies, but the examples I’ve used aren’t just my own personal wants- otherwise they wouldn’t be threads posted by other players or threads I’ve posted with like reactions in them. ;)

There is demand for the things I used as examples, How much of a demand they have is completely irrelevant to this topic, because they’re used as examples and aren’t things I absolutely demand Klei stop doing everything they are currently doing to throw something into the game just cause I want it..

I want Klei to not be afraid of huge changes to the game that make it BOTH Easier & Harder that can be changed through world settings, world presets, alternate game modes etc..

it is very clear to me that Klei often backs out of their OWN Ideas because if it’s not popular with the majority of the community then they just abruptly cancel it- Just go look at all the Unimplemented features pages on Wiki.. but WHY are these things scrapped instead of actually put into the game and used?

We got two Lunar Horror Mobs & a small vocal minority complains about them, Klei stops doing things in that direction and adds a world Gen toggle exclusively just for those people who had a problem with them.

You can clearly look on the unimplemented features pages to see they had plans for harder content, mobs that change appearance with the seasons- Etc..

But they back out of these ideas and leave it on the cutting room floor, my Question is Why? Why be afraid to make this or that controversial change to your game? 

If a feature Klei wants to add into their game seems questionable: then perhaps have it toggled to OFF by default, and then the players who actually want to check it out can flip it to ON and see what it’s all about?

7 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

But they back out of these ideas and leave it on the cutting room floor, my Question is Why? Why be afraid to make this or that controversial change to your game? 

more than afraid is about not having enough time, something not working as intended so it gets dropped because isnt worth the time, changing of plannes (for example grassgators), etc

see wortox as another example, he was leaked before RoG, if i recall correctly, but it was released not so much time ago. Or winnie that was dropped but they used her design to create wigfrid, etc

2 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

I like to think he keeps things interesting between updates and also the fastest way to farm rep in this game's general forum mode but some veterans might be calling for a nerf as it's allowing casuals to catch up to them with little to no effort while others have been saying it's just a forum why does it matter if people farm rep.

Reveal hidden contents

Idk man I'm bored.

you're reminding me now of the forum farm rep tier list

which i still plan to not do

10 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Rather then Klei just updating the game to let Larvae explode through walls players enjoy using, there should be Server options that let us choose rather we want those walls to be useable in the fight or not.

Rather then just updating the game and making Catcoon dens & Reeds renewable, there should be OPTIONS that keep them the way they are now as non-renewable.

Options are great, don't get me wrong. There's a part you overlook, though. Default settings.

Some people will consider it cheating to play on anything but default settings, and default settings need to be balanced towards what KLei and the majority are looking for from the game. 

Yes, I'm in that crowd. I'm slowly accepting modifiers, and only started that because disease was absolute bullcrap for a world I wanted to last forever. And I am grateful that we can now modify existing worlds, and have used that to set hounds to less not because they're hard, but because they were annoying as heck and I'm messy enough without them dropping fangs and gems everywhere every ten days. I may even temporarily turn off fire hazards and open to public now. 

But default is still king, and default will stay king. Any changes to default are customizations beyond the expected norm, and knowing the norm is super important for joining a game you do not host. For any major changes, the host should alert people of them. Grassless world? Warn people before they die at first night because they could not find grass for a torch or campfire. Random season lengths? Warn people about that so they know to prep asap instead of when is usually needed. Butterflies off? Let joiners know that they won't find any butterflies.

Knowing is half the battle, and people will join knowing the default. Balance things towards default settings. Toggleable settings are extra fluff for flavor, but not the main course!

TL;DR - Options are great, but balance for default settings.

2 hours ago, AlternateMew said:

Options are great, don't get me wrong. There's a part you overlook, though. Default settings.

Some people will consider it cheating to play on anything but default settings, and default settings need to be balanced towards what KLei and the majority are looking for from the game. 

Yes, I'm in that crowd. I'm slowly accepting modifiers, and only started that because disease was absolute bullcrap for a world I wanted to last forever. And I am grateful that we can now modify existing worlds, and have used that to set hounds to less not because they're hard, but because they were annoying as heck and I'm messy enough without them dropping fangs and gems everywhere every ten days. I may even temporarily turn off fire hazards and open to public now. 

But default is still king, and default will stay king. Any changes to default are customizations beyond the expected norm, and knowing the norm is super important for joining a game you do not host. For any major changes, the host should alert people of them. Grassless world? Warn people before they die at first night because they could not find grass for a torch or campfire. Random season lengths? Warn people about that so they know to prep asap instead of when is usually needed. Butterflies off? Let joiners know that they won't find any butterflies.

Knowing is half the battle, and people will join knowing the default. Balance things towards default settings. Toggleable settings are extra fluff for flavor, but not the main course!

TL;DR - Options are great, but balance for default settings.

YES!!! Now your catching on: All major highly risky changes to the game should be optional: As in OFF by Default. And if people want to turn those “Through the Ages” style changes ON they can.

This doesn’t make the game any harder on people who enjoy it how it already plays, and it lets people who want progressively harder to have that as an OPTION to toggle

Both types of players are satisfied.

As a new example some players want a “hurt” idle animation where your character shows signs of not being at full health, but BECAUSE I play State of Decay 2 on Nightmare Difficulty: Adding a “Hurt” Animation to the game that doesn’t impact gameplay in any way: Would be an INSULT to players like myself who see a “Hurt Animation” and want our characters (much like SoD2) to physically limp around injured having actual negative effects (beyond just don’t die)

If such an Animation were added to the game I would want it to be there for more then just purely cosmetic aid, having this “limp around/use tools less reliably” mechanic be tied to an OPTIONAL toggle that’s off by Default.

(I’m seriously trying to come up with new examples of how having things set to OFF by default but having options to turn them ON are a good thing, so if this is a Bad example I’m sorry.)

The TL:DR- I don’t want Klei to back out of making the game EASIER or HARDER when there can be toggles beyond default that cater to both.

Archived