Very scientific poll for a term paper on DST

Very scientific poll about some features for a term paper  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Does the fact that excessive killing spawns Krampii affect, how you play?

• Yes, I am afraid of Krampus/ don't want Krampii spawning so I stop killing, if I hear the hissing noise.
    • A bit. If I hear the warning hiss, I try to avoid to much kills mostly, sometimes I spawn Krampus on purpose though.
    • Yes, I tend to go on killing sprees because I really want that Krampus sack
    • No, Krampii don't change the way I play, I don't care if they spawn or not.
  2. 2. What do you do to not trigger bunnymen with meat?

• I don't carry any meat with me when I go near them.
    • I hide the meat I have in Hutch or a bundle.
    • I just avoid getting close to them alltogether for that reason.
    • I take meat with me and add theirs to the pile

2nd really depends. Cause if I'm going to my Bunnies to start civil war, I'm obviously not bringing meat. If I'm going to the ruins and that one bunny hutch that stands near the passageway spawns a bunny I'm just gonna shank it. 

A lot of time (because I sleep in a room with 2 other people a few feet away from me) I play this game at night with the volume completely turned OFF and there are a Multitude of reasons WHY I do this:

1- Game volume also effects the volume of the children screaming like maniacs into their headsets (seriously Klei I want a Mute all players button in the upcoming QOL)

Alternatively letting me separate the volume of the game from the people on Mics would be grand too..

2- Some of the games sounds can be much louder than others or they’re repetitive as heck and when people are trying to sleep, this can often wake them..

And 3- If the game crashes for any reason, relaunching it plays the main starting menu animation where Charlie frees Wilson at loud volumes even if you’ve lowered the rest of the games sounds they don’t go into effect until you’ve passed the starting animation.

For those reasons- I often play with no sound at all and rely entirely on the in-game text menu to communicate to other players.

But Klei’s chat censorship is freaking weird, it won’t let you type “I am about to Die..” or “Hey if you don’t leave base when Deerclops/Bearger arrives your base is about to be wrecked & you are about to die..”

In a game where Dying plays a vital part in the game, you’d think the word would be less censored.

Anyway.. because I play with the volume off I never hear this Krampii hissing noises and when they spawn: They just remind me of the gremlins that ran around stealing your potions in Golden Axe (a very old Sega game you can now download & play for free on the App Store for most phones..)

Bunnymen only scare me when I’m playing as Wigfrid.. for obvious reasons, But I always wondered why they won’t attack you if your holding pig skins, that should still technically count as meat right?

20 minutes ago, BezKa said:

2nd really depends. Cause if I'm going to my Bunnies to start civil war, I'm obviously not bringing meat. If I'm going to the ruins and that one bunny hutch that stands near the passageway spawns a bunny I'm just gonna shank it. 

Understandable. The point I'm trying to make in one chapter is, that stuff like excessive killing spawning monsters or neutral creatures attacking you if you have meat is a form of trying to establish mild consequences through game design for certain levels of aggression. However, it would be interesting to see, if players actually accept this as a limitation or just completely turn it around to their advantage. Krampus for example is meant to bring potentially dangerous consequences to killing innocent creatures, which could logically make players kill less innocent creatures out of fear. Or, of course, they make Krampus farms, killing even more and completely throwing the concept "be punished for naughtiness" out of the window to create the world's most evil industrial backpack generator^^

1 minute ago, Falkenpelz said:

It is interesting, especially if you take new players into account. Cause let me tell you, I used to be terrified of Krampus. But then started farming the sack anyway, just by protecting myself with like 100 tooth traps. Now he's mostly an inconvenience whenever I'm trying to gather enough food or something. Most often I stop my rampage if the hissing gets too loud, since my world is so old there's gonna be at least 4 of them. 

Good thing to consider is also that people who already get the Krampus sack won't necessarily want more to spawn. 

Bunnymen feel less punishing for killing, and more for forgetting you have meat on you. 

I'm terrible at kiting multiple Krampi, especially if my connection is bad. I don't care too much about the sack so I don't really mess with them until I know I want one, besides, for this to even be a situation I would have to go out of my way to spawn Krampus; so nothing really, accidental.

I usually "hide" the meat by just dropping it on the ground. They're not really worth my time and aggroing them all at once means death. 

If for some reason I have to kill them then I drop the meat for strategic reasons. I need to befriend one so they kill each other. 

I have seen people learn to be scared of killing things because they don't know how to deal with Krampii, but I think they're a fun fight so if I hear the hissing I'll either ignore it or intentionally continue killing things to spawn them. My reaction to bunnymen depends on the situation, but I will usually just run straight through them because they're not good at hitting moving targets.

Only one person has voted "yes" on the first question so far... And that person is me. ^o^;>

I don't want to summon Krampus, not because I think it will kill me--I'm sure I could handle it with all the time I've put into this game--but because I think it's just creepy. I find it disturbing, and I don't want to summon it. Just for purely emotional reasons, not because I think it will make the game harder. Would a Krampus sack be useful? Of course. But I'd feel bad the whole time I was carrying it, because it would mean that I had to put a bunch of effort into killing innocent things, and then having to kill a creepy creature that's actually just coming to punish you for being bad. Krampus is actually arguably a force of good. I don't want to even pretend to be an evil, greedy killing machine. I play games to have fun, and that doesn't sound fun to me. I get satisfaction from feeling like I make a good moral choice by not being "naughty" enough to summon Krampus.

And I just keep my distance from Bunnymen if I have meat with me, which I usually do.

My whole approach to playing Don't Starve is very "live and let live." I don't kill things unless I need to in order to survive, whether because I need food or crafting materials, or because I'm being attacked by them. I just enjoy playing that way.

Obviously, I'm in the vast minority here. But that's okay. I don't care what other people do in the game, since it is just a game, and if I'm not playing with them in the same world, what they do doesn't affect me anyway.

Krampus honestly are kinda pointless, getting the naughtiness levels needed to spawn one is pretty much never going to happen outside of a pig genocide in the early game, or if you specifically are farming for the sack, and the sack drops from klaus 10% of the time now, and since WF can be turned on whenever, along with setting klaus to tons in the world settings, krampus sacks really arent that hard to get, and each player only ever needs 1.

As for bunnymen, I never have enough encounters with them where having meat on me causes a problem. Again, this pretty much only happens for me in a ruins rush, and at that point I'll likely just kill them or go around them.

Krampus sack's drop rate could use a buff imo, maybe make it 5% instead of 1%? It's not like the item is all that valuable anymore anyways since piggyback is way better now thanks to beefalo being able to go wherever you go. Honestly I'd prefer a bee crown and bundle blueprint from my first klaus over a kramp sack anyday since I usually rush beefalo nowadays, and that would save me from having to deal with bee queens obnoxious fight requirements.

Ill definitly kill for the Krampus sack.

Killing Glommer everytime before full moon. If im killing some mobs for reasons and then i ear the hissing, ill kill some more just to spawn Krampus. I always need some bunny houses for spider farm and cave entrance and  im destroying their houses and killing them only after days 100 for the extra krampus since i know i will spawn one.

For the second question its situationnal.

Me being a low risk taker in real life, I have always played this game with excessive measures in order to enjoy it.

Be afraid that I'll be killed by seasonal bosses / raid bosses? 10+ football helms and 10+ marble suits with 2 stacks of healing. First time trying out a ruins base? Stacks of stone fruits, herding many rock lobsters to fend off worms, making sure I have like 10 fully filled lanterns at the ready, and a COMPLETE base with a kitchen and lots of storage. Be afraid of insufficient resources when I play the game? Collect more resources and stash all of the resources in base (like, 1000+ of each item such as grass, logs, twigs, rocks, food, pigskin etc). You get the gist.

I have spent countless in real life hours, even days, trying to perfect my preparations in order to fight a boss that I haven't fought before (Ancient Fuelweaver and Celestial Champion? Still getting there). I'm such a sucker to losing in a game that I can't afford to take risks, and I have done a lot of things that would get me either a life sentence in jail or a solitary room in a psychiatric ward if I have ever done any of it in real life, just to make my preparations flawless.

I usually avoid trying to get Krampus outside of Klaus, but sometimes when innocent creatures like a herd of beefalos, pigs, or bunnies are obscuring me from getting my preparations done, then I'll definitely pulverize them and use their bones and ashes as my stepping stones to achieve something greater. This phenomenon is already present in society anyway, with people using each other in order to get what they want. And having Krampii to spawn is just another stepping stone with an added bonus of a sack.

As for the bunnies, I'll be damned if I don't admit mass fire farming for 60 hutches just for BQ in each world. Help me Santa Claus, for I have been a bad person and I want to seek forgiveness (and also a present) :crushed:

Sure, I do want to go on Krampii killing sprees for the sack, but of course after I get that sack, there's no point in killing them anymore. I also use Klaus too. Of course even if I do let them spawn anyway when I have the sack, I'll give it to one of my friends, I really only have friends on Xbox lol cuz I'm an introvert when it comes to the Steam Community DST players, some are just toxic!

The second question on the other hand was tricky for me, sometimes I won't have any meat on me at all because I'm starting bunny wars (I drop the meat on the ground those times), but if I just want to pass by them I put them in Hutch/gifts/bundles so I won't have to be attacked by them 'creepy red-eyed vegans with horns' when I'm going to the ruins or any other portion of the caves.

Now, G'day :^)

I forgot to ask, how much am I getting paid for this again?

On a serious note, am I the only one that thinks the Krampus sac is overrated? I wont complain if I get one but bundles>krampus sac. I usually don't run into inventory problems until I've killed a boss and have to carry all the loot home. Dragonfly is notorious for making be abandon a bunch of stuff my first autumn. 

Ive never summoned krampii before. Probably cause i tend to play wendy and abby does allot of the killing for me.

Besides i dont see the 1% drop chance on the sack as worth trying for.

For bunnymen, i tend to just..forget about it. And when i see that im coming up on them I'll do a quick glance at my inventory and either just run past em or sic abby on em.

The only time I've actually summoned krampus was because I was having my beefalo kill butterflies for ornery trait. Ultimately heard the hiss and went "oh this would be fun" and spawned it just to make the beefalo kill them too.

Funny enough I got the krampus sack on my play around world the first time I fought Krampus properly. Maybe that was my good behavior reward lmao.

Bunnyman I don't care about. I'll try to avoid triggering their aggro but most of the time I just forget and get attacked anyway.

Curious, what's your thesis/topic if you dont mind sharing? I assume something about if negative consequences deter certain player behaviors?

Krampus I usually don't care about, the percentage chance to drop loot is too low to be worth the effort, but if I'm bored enough I might attempt to farm. I don't consider them a threat, they are generally passive if you ignore them.

Bunnymen I actually consider a threat in numbers, but I'm usually confident I can run past them. If I'm not, I'll drop any meat on the ground after consuming what I need.

3 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

I forgot to ask, how much am I getting paid for this again?

On a serious note, am I the only one that thinks the Krampus sac is overrated? I wont complain if I get one but bundles>krampus sac. I usually don't run into inventory problems until I've killed a boss and have to carry all the loot home. Dragonfly is notorious for making be abandon a bunch of stuff my first autumn. 

Why not both? I find the combination pretty useful when I want to transport like 50+ spiders between shards when playing as Webber. And for the occasional mass resource farms like logs or rocks.

1 minute ago, zacqiang said:

Why not both? I find the combination pretty useful when I want to transport like 50+ spiders between shards when playing as Webber. And for the occasional mass resource farms like logs or rocks.

Yeah both is great, but I wont farm for it is what I mean. I just wait until Klaus drops it from the loot stash. To me its not so urgent that I need to make a krampus farm.

Archived