Opinions on Klei official public servers?

Opinions on Klei official public servers?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Klei?? public server?? opinion???

• I think they are really great
    • I think they are cool
    • I think they are fine
    • I dislike them
    • I don't understand why they exist

I am curious as to what people's opinions are on the existence of the official Klei public servers. I have heard people complain about them but I have also heard people claim they are fine, so I want to know which side is the most popular, and I think some interesting discussions could spark from this poll. For those who want to know my opinions, I really do not understand their purpose, they aren't worth joining past around day 10, and I personally don't enjoy playing them as much as solo or private with friends.

I dont understand why some of them dont host Forge/Gorge games.

other than that klei officials r pretty much the only servers i join when i want play on a pub, and theyre almost always full when im looking. But yeah joining late is not very productive unless u want to challenge urself which is actually fun. but im pretty sure that goes for every kind of server. 

They can be a great place to network. I've had people visit my server from klei pubs and build things for me. it's happened as well vice versa because of missing skins we may be able to fill for one another. At it's best, it's a fun place to be. At it's worst, it's a clique/illuminati.

there are a number of klei servers however that your usual suspects aren't always present. and the usual suspects aren't always that bad when you get to know their goals and can contribute. But this is speaking about 2019 or 2020. a little outdated opinion.

Klei Official servers I think are fine, I just don't understand the point of most public servers because playing by yourself or just with friends is way more fun than just trusting that random people will help you in survival. I think special gamemode servers are fine like Electroely's Deathmatch, Roleplay servers, Forge, and Gorge, I can understand the point of those, but if it's regular survival public server and not a Klei Official Server then I really don't understand the point of it.

Vast majority of my DST-playing Steam friends were met in KLei official pubs. Hence their utility for me is social networking. Aside that, they pretty much represent the no-man's-land where madness and noobs/trolls/griefers run rampant. Is that ok in general? Depends on KLei's message sent via aforementioned servers. If "uncompromising ruthless survival" is the essence, then yes, they achieve their purpose. If "getting familiar with the game from get-go in co-op environment" would be their intent, then they fail miserably. For experienced players - as others stated above - KLei pubs are great in nomad solo rushes or rushes/general fun with friends (bosses, moon, ocean, ruins, etc). One can also make elaborate bases in secluded places (Lunar archipelago, Ruins, Atrium, at sea, etc), but knowing is all fleeting and experimental plus still some persistent griefers could cr@p on their work. Should current KLei hectic pub situation change into a more moderated environment via automated scripts and/or active moderation? Once more: depends on KLei envisioned purpose for said servers and, of course, their willingness to pour resources into such actions. My take? I don't really care anymore by this point about KLei pubs. Cheers!

14 hours ago, kerillian 1417 said:

very fun place to grief with no consequences and meet with griefer friends

What an interesting point to make after yesterday's fiery debates over the morality and legitimacy of using of client mods to black list and banish those with a griefing record :P

I think they are some of the most fun servers you can play in, meet new people, test out new content or even dedicate to survive for a very long time with other dedicated individuals all around the world. It's also great that all ten of these servers are the vanilla, default DST experience with no add ons or restrictions-greatly sets the tone for the game. Wish there was at least one wilderness server too though

as a person who either prefers going solo or wants to survive with a friend for a long time i'm not that into klei pubs because they appeal more to short-term gratification. First, apart from the threat of griefers, all the wonderful progress you have done in a klei official server is usually already gone by the next day at best or after a few hours at worst. So if you want to mess around for a day a klei pub is the best place to be.

I dont play on them but i think they are a good addition from klei to help those who cant host their own servers or people who wants to play with other but doesnt know anybody

They werent obliged to add them since most games doesnt have official dedicated servers so they wasting resources on adding those servers is something to be thankful more than asking them for more (like wasting a lot of money on moderators or ban systems)

I usually prefer playing on my own servers, but if I ever get a drop before I'm close to ready to make a science machine, then I'll go to a public server, usually a klei one, and look for a science machine or alchemy engine. And once I find one, I usually leave right away. 
It makes sense why there are some people who like playing on klei servers, though :)

they're great, dealing with griefers is fun in a way.

Plus I have learned a lot of things from randoms, and I've met most if not all of my dst friends on pubs.

They are great for doing rushes and such, and you never know what you're gonna get in terms of people, personally I like that. I like judging others

On 8/9/2021 at 5:11 PM, ArubaroBeefalo said:

I dont play on them but i think they are a good addition from klei to help those who cant host their own servers or people who wants to play with other but doesnt know anybody

They werent obliged to add them since most games doesnt have official dedicated servers so they wasting resources on adding those servers is something to be thankful more than asking them for more (like wasting a lot of money on moderators or ban systems)

yea except they could actually make money on trolls cause the rich kids always buying new accounts to troll if they get banned in other games like rust for example IF They where to get banned ofc :P

They are ok. I like exploring these servers and see what kind of bases people come up with and the things people left behind kinda tell a lot of stories of what happened in certain areas before i even arrived.

Problem is these servers recently crash often now only 5 are online and rest are gone, poof. They have been offline for quite a while.

Archived