Screeching violin sound?

If you're on a boat and have low sanity screeching violin sound means that a Wavey Jones is gonna spawn, you gotta get as close as possible to this shadowy face 3 times to make it disappear 

Wait if it happens all the time then i dunno what's causing it

'Screetching violin' sounds like the sounds created by Wavey Jones. He's a shadow creature that appears on boats when your sanity is low.

However if you hear them all the time- even on land then perhaps something is wrong on your end. Hardware or software.

9 minutes ago, badfrogg said:

No this sound is on day one and it is constant. It is horrible. Like someone is cleaning a chalkboard with a broken violin.'

I think i got it, it might be the GENERARING WORLD screen sound. If that's the case then just wait half a minute and it should disappear automatically 

10 minutes ago, rainman895 said:

I think i got it, it might be the GENERARING WORLD screen sound. If that's the case then just wait half a minute and it should disappear automatically 

Yeah, That is the sound, sort of. The clank and projector sound is not there and it dose not go away. Been listening to it for hours. had to mute the audio. I am not having any fun anyways with this game. 

Wonder if its just this game that has his audio messed up.  I would suggest either A) uninstall and reinstall or B) turn music off to see if its part of the ingame music or an SFX. 

I have been playing since the game came out and have never noticed any piercing screeching violins outside the generating screen (and thats more like strings being tightened in sound than screeching)

Either way all your important cues are really SFX based vs music (although each thing going on does have an accompanying score for dramatics)

In the end tho you said you weren't having fun with it, which is a shame but its not for everyone so I dont know how much ridding yourself of the violin will improve your take on the game.

Ambient sound level controls it. I just went back to listen and it is worse then the world generation screen. the world generation at lease is somewhat lyrical. I am just running around angry trying to kill whatever is making that sound. I though it was birds but I can hear birds chirp and that sounds fine.

Yeah. i am defiantly not clicking with this game. I cant make it passed 5 or 6 days. I can't seem to get anything better then berries to eat. can't seem to connect my axe with any wildlife for meat. It is a painful grind with a nerve shattering soundtrack. 

5 minutes ago, badfrogg said:

Yeah. i am defiantly not clicking with this game. I cant make it passed 5 or 6 days. I can't seem to get anything better then berries to eat. can't seem to connect my axe with any wildlife for meat. It is a painful grind with a nerve shattering soundtrack. 

Well part of the game is learning and trying different things with trial and error, so it's definitely not a casual experience most of the time. True, the game doesn't tell you of keyboard shortcuts so it's a chore playing without knowing them.

And i wouldn't call this audio bug a "nerve shattering soundtrack". DS/T's actual soundtrack is really well made.

1 hour ago, badfrogg said:

I literally can't take it. I just got this game and I hate it. What is that violin screeching sound. I can only play muted and it feels like I am missing important cues.

If at all possible, could you get a recording of this sound? Either a screen recording or just a shaky video taken with a phone would be better than nothing. There's only so much we can go off of if you're describing an audible sound with text. That is, if you still feel like getting to the bottom of this to make the game somewhat more tolerable for you.

If you still do want to play the game but find it difficult, then there are a lot of guides on Steam, here on the forums, on the wiki, but most helpful to new people, YouTube. Hope this helps.

This happens to me all the time. Usually when game world generating freeze for moment.

It becomes really loud and mute itself in few minutes. When it's not, restarting save works. (Exiting and rejoining) If not, you can mute music. It's probably a bug that broke the sound loop of the game.

Also, this is the loud one that you discovered. There is another one. Generating caves, entering caves, exiting caves and regenerating world with low sanity causes loud, creepy whispers in loading screens. Also, same actions cause chester's mouth breathing sound on loading screen if you have a chester near to you.

As someone who is so sound sensitive that I literally can't play Wendy for her uncanny out of tune alto flute voice or Woodie because of Lucy, I am pretty sure you have encountered a bug, base game soundtrack sounds nowhere terrible (but make sure it isn't just your character's voice, they are voiced by instruments). Also the game has way more content than berry picking, maybe check out some tutorials for help? But of course it's perfectly fine if this just isn't your taste.

Thanks all. I have 600+ hours in ONI but I just suck at this game. I am going to take a break and try reinstalling later if I decide to try playing again. I was really hoping to find something that I could play with my wife. Now I am no stranger to challenging games, I also have 600+ hours in Dark Souls but I can't even kill a spider in this game.

Yeah, I am leaving defeated. 

23 minutes ago, badfrogg said:

Now I am no stranger to challenging games, I also have 600+ hours in Dark Souls but I can't even kill a spider in this game.

Yeah, I am leaving defeated. 

Once you learn DST's combat it's fairly simple when you compare it to a game like Dark Souls.

Every attack done has a radius check to see if it connected to do damage and has nothing to do with the animation, so kiting is effectively go in for a swing and run.  Some mobs can be stunlocked where you can hold attack to win, like the spider.

7 minutes ago, Falkenpelz said:

Wait, did you, by any chance, play as the character Woodie? XD

(Spiderkilling-tutorial: single one out, lure it away, when far from the others, hold F until dead)

Yeah. I play Woodie because he has the axe that does not break. Why?

Archived